Old 05-12-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofis View Post
I can't really agree with that. I was running void maps at 230 before I ever reached 240. In the magma, the power curve is so steep progress can go from breezy to brick wall in just a few zones.
Sorry - let me clarify. I was talking about ignoring farming the actual magmite - not farming IN Magma (i.e. 230+). He's not going to get any real use out of running or upgrading the DG any time soon.

Last edited by Munch; 05-12-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:08 AM

When you wrote "comfortably climbing in the 250+ range", did you mean 230+? Because trying to get strong enough to get to 250 without generator upgrades seems like doing it the hard way to me.

Context: My highest zone reached is 247, I pull in 100+ magmite per run, and have bought the 14 cheapest upgrades.

I agree that one shouldn't overpursue magmite at the cost of zone progress. Even if your main goal is getting magmite, you'll get more of it by spending fuel to get farther. But once you reach a point where a zone's worth of fuel will not get you that many more coordinations, it seems better to go for more magmite to help future runs. The first time I reached 230 I got enough fuel for a generator tick for the achievement, and then switched to magmite, since I wasn't going to get any farther, generator or no, and I think that was the right decision.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:28 AM

Yay. Got the Realtor feat done and now enjoy +20% damage.

I think I'm just going to stick with Dailies from now on not look at the feats any more.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:14 PM

Yeah, the % difference tends to be subtle, particularly after the first few hundred.

Getting over a threshold to faster golden upgrades is awesome, though, so you might want to start paying attention to them again when you're close to a break point.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM

You cannot get feats that require you to complete the challenge when doing Challenge2. At least, it doesn't appear that way. I hadn't done the feat for Watch yet and it was next in line for Challenge2 and I tried to kill 2 birds with one stone, and it didn't work. The challenge shows as still available the whole run until you abandon the challenge, but neither beating level 180 nor abandoning the challenge thereafter get you the feat.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 PM

That's unfortunate. It makes some sense in that the phrasing of the achievement specifically mentions completing the challenge, but you'd expect it to show as unavailable. You can make a bug report at https://github.com/Trimps/Trimps.github.io/issues, if you want.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 AM

Version 4.4 is out, with new mechanics and new currencies for zone 236+.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 AM

I like it. Poison works really well against Tough enemies.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I've nearly saved up enough DE for my next Mastery. Any thoughts on which I should take?

I'm on Tier 2, and I've already got Metallic Coat.

Turkinp Tamer and Void Power both have obvious uses.

Foremany speeds up building, but how much? Building usually doesn't take all that long anyway. Is it worth buying?

Headstart gives me corruption 5 levels earlier. Do I get extra DE at that level, or just extra helium? Worth having or not?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Headstart only affects corruption/helium, not dark essence. The key thing to realise is that the amount of corruption in a zone is based on how many zones past the start of corruption it is. So the mastery doesn't just give extra helium on zones 175 - 179, where the helium amounts are small, but also every zone past that. The headstart sequence are among the best masteries, in my opinion.

Foremany is pure convenience, but it's a pretty nice convenience, as it means you never have to micromanage what activity you're on, just set yourself to where you want the turkimp bonus and forget about it. 50000 foremen is enough that every building will complete in 0.1 seconds (the minimum).

I'm only missing five masteries at this point, and both Void Power are among them. The effect is too small to make a difference in what zone you can do the maps on, so it's just a minor speedup of an activity you can easily let the game do for you without input while doing something unrelated.

So my recommendation would be Headstart first, then Formany and Turkimp Tamer in either order.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone else have opinions?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:43 PM

Headstart is far and away the best available choice. The first headstart is basically an average of 1 2/3 more corruption squares per zone after 175.

After that it's less clear, but I'd take Turkimp next, followed by void. I'm not really a fan of foremany, but if it bugs you to click build on and off I can see the use.

Last edited by Some Call Me... Tim; 07-16-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:00 AM

I'm trying out a new strategy, which so far seems to be working.

I'm buying every Upgrade but not buying Equipment. It saves Metal and I've only had to buy Nurseries for Voids that extend Breeding time. I haven't needed to buy any Geneticists, so that's less Food to produce. I've been speeding through the zones like a hot knife through buttah.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I'm trying out a new strategy, which so far seems to be working.

I'm buying every Upgrade but not buying Equipment. It saves Metal
If you mean that you are buying Prestige upgrades but not Leveling up your equipment, I agree completely.
Quote:
and I've only had to buy Nurseries for Voids that extend Breeding time. I haven't needed to buy any Geneticists, so that's less Food to produce. I've been speeding through the zones like a hot knife through buttah.
As long as you have plenty of Health, sure. But Nurseries and Geneticists are a pretty cheap way to get a big health multiplier.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post

As long as you have plenty of Health, sure. But Nurseries and Geneticists are a pretty cheap way to get a big health multiplier.
Things finally stalled around zone 110, but it was a wild ride. Now I am buying a few equipment levels and geneticists, but not nearly as much as before.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Things finally stalled around zone 110, but it was a wild ride. Now I am buying a few equipment levels and geneticists, but not nearly as much as before.
If you liked that strategy, you should try just getting Dagger and Boot upgrades ("Equip First" option in maps). I've never really upgraded equipment before, just focused on prestiging.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Today's Daily Challenge is really sweet.
  • All enemies gain 6 stacks of Empower whenever your Trimps die in the World. Empower increases the attack and health of bad guys in the World by 0.2% per stack, can stack to 9999, and never resets.
  • Enemies gain a stack of Bloodthirst whenever Trimps die. Every 4 stacks, enemies will heal to full and gain an additive 50% attack. Stacks cap at 20 and reset after killing an enemy.
  • Enemy health in maps increased by 270%.

Empower challenges are really easy. Turn off Autofight, and whenever you die run a map. As long as you do this every time, Empower does not increase. Essentially it's free helium.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Got back into the game a few weeks ago after ignoring it for awhile, and I've hit another wall.

I can make it as far as zone 160 now before progress gets unbearably slow, but I'm having trouble with helium - I just can't seem to raise enough per run to boost Resourceful/Coordinated/Carpentry. It seems like luck of the draw getting a good daily challenge, and the regular helium challenges either aren't profitable enough or are too difficult to complete. Back to the grind, I guess.

Anyone got a good recommendation for when to run void maps? It seems like at lower levels they aren't worth it, and at higher levels they're unwinnable.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

See my post above. Thursday's daily challenge will give you a really juicy helium bonus. If you do it right, it's not much harder than a straight run.

All enemies gain 6 stacks of Empower whenever your Trimps die in the World. Empower increases the attack and health of bad guys in the World by 0.2% per stack, can stack to 9999, and never resets.

What this means is that enemies become more and more powerful every time you die. But it only happens if you immediately respawn and fight. If you run a map after every death, it doesn't trigger, Empower doesn't increase and enemies remain at standard strength.

Resourceful isn't as useful as it sounds. It makes very little difference to how many buildings you can buy. Have a few levels, but don't spend too much on it. Prioritize Coordinated. It's worth losing a few levels of carpentry to boost coordinated.

Are you using Overkill? It gives an enormous speed boost early in the game. What I like to do is start with several levels. Later in the game I might respec my overkill to coordinated. Then when I portal use my helium bonus to replenish Overkill.

Have you been running Challenge2's They do give a pretty good increase to all following helium gains.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
See my post above. Thursday's daily challenge will give you a really juicy helium bonus. If you do it right, it's not much harder than a straight run.
Already done it.

Quote:
Are you using Overkill?
Haven't reached the zone to unlock it yet, and I'll likely have to do a few more runs to get to the point where I'm capable of unlocking it. My last big push was 2 or 3 days to make it to 161 so I could unlock the damage bonus for that achievement. Hopefully I'll make it there within the next few runs.

Quote:
Have you been running Challenge2's They do give a pretty good increase to all following helium gains.
Not yet. May have to take them up.

Last edited by Smapti; 07-22-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post

Not yet. May have to take them up.
You certainly should. Here's a tip: do a quick run through each in turn. Do only the lower levels. Stop as soon as it becomes a grind. You'll pick up a few percent on each. After you've done a few, added together they make a nice bonus. You can go back later for a longer run and a higher bonus.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Got back into the game a few weeks ago after ignoring it for awhile, and I've hit another wall.

I can make it as far as zone 160 now before progress gets unbearably slow, but I'm having trouble with helium - I just can't seem to raise enough per run to boost Resourceful/Coordinated/Carpentry. It seems like luck of the draw getting a good daily challenge, and the regular helium challenges either aren't profitable enough or are too difficult to complete. Back to the grind, I guess.

Anyone got a good recommendation for when to run void maps? It seems like at lower levels they aren't worth it, and at higher levels they're unwinnable.
When you hit a plateau like that, try spending some bones on golden maps and quick trimps. Quick trimps allows you to buy twice the geneticists before it starts to slow you down. Golden maps gets you through the purchases and back on the run.

I recommend portaling and buying them from the beginning though. No use spending all those bones just to get a couple more levels.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Quick trimps allows you to buy twice the geneticists before it starts to slow you down.
This is not accurate. Quick trimps doubles breed speed, which 34 geneticists will offset. 34 more geneticists will give you 40% more health. It's generally not a good buy. Golden maps is probably better, but is also not something I'd recommend. Smapti isn't very far from being able to run Toxicity, which will give helium better than most Dailies as long as it's current, and bones are better spent on duplicating that helium. Especially as he's almost certainly pulling in fewer than 20 bones per portal.

I agree that Resourceful isn't the best. Artisanistry is more important, and even for that one, if it's expensive enough that you can't buy it for the helium you get from one (no challenge) run, it's probably high enough. But Coordinated can certainly be worth spending multiple runs' worth for a single level, and respeccing into one is one way to get there lacking good dailies.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:34 AM

Golden maps is a lot better than quick trimps, but at that it's still only worth it for what I would think of as stunt runs. If you're planning to spend several days in one run and do something difficult for your current helium - like the first time you do Spire, or in your case maybe the first time you do Toxicity - then go ahead and buy maps at the start of what you plan to be a particularly long run.

Oh, and a few notes on void maps for those in the mid-100s... don't forget the block. There's no pierce on void maps, so sometimes it's faster net to spend some time farming wood for gyms and then doing gyms faster. Also, if things are getting slow for you in the 160s your sweet spot will likely be level 150 after you get the last gymystic upgrade. After that I'd focus on the points where better heirlooms start dropping (166 and 181).

Oh, and challenge2's are absolutely low hanging fruit if you haven't at least done a quick burn through whatever levels are quick for you at the moment.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Call Me... Tim View Post
. . .
Oh, and a few notes on void maps for those in the mid-100s... don't forget the block. There's no pierce on void maps, so sometimes it's faster net to spend some time farming wood for gyms and then doing gyms faster.
. . .
Great advice, only excepting when you are in a Destructive map. Destructives reduce your overall health by 20% with every hit. So this strategy only works on them if you have enough block to completely block every hit.

Quote:
. . .

Resourceful isn't as useful as it sounds. It makes very little difference to how many buildings you can buy. Have a few levels, but don't spend too much on it. Prioritize Coordinated. It's worth losing a few levels of carpentry to boost coordinated.

Are you using Overkill? It gives an enormous speed boost early in the game. What I like to do is start with several levels. Later in the game I might respec my overkill to coordinated. Then when I portal use my helium bonus to replenish Overkill.

. . .
Coordinated: Can anyone help mathematically challenged me to understand this balance? From my perspective, it seems as though 5% more trimps per building would get me to the next Coord faster than needing 2% fewer to achieve it.

This clearly isn't true . . . but why?!?

I don't have Overkill. What do I need to run to get it?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Just for a start, only half your trimps fight. A 5% increase in total trimps gives a 2.5% increase in your fighting force.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 AM

The subtle thing about the Coordinated perk is how it compounds. Let's say that your battle group contains 1000 trimps, and you want to buy a coordination. With no levels of the perk, the battle group's size must increase by 25%, to 1250. And the next by 25% again, to 1250 * 1.25 = 1563.

If instead you have one level of Coordinated, the required increase is 24.5%. So the next battle group has size 1245. That doesn't seem to matter very much. The key is that each battle group size is based on the previous battle group size, which was already reduced. So the next group is 1245 * 1.245 = 1551. The tiny little 2% reduction has been applied twice. And for your hundredth coordination, it will have been applied a hundred times. A level of Carpentry will just increase your population by 10%. It doesn't compound with the amount of housing or coordinations you buy. It compounds with more levels of Carpentry, but that goes for Coordinated as well. Unless you have enough levels of Coordinated to bring the 25% increase down to below 10%, a level of Carpentry won't give you even one extra coordination at the end of the run.

There is an easy way to see how much Coordinated is doing for you. If you click on your health, damage or block, you will get a pop-up with a breakdown of how it is calculated. In this breakdown will be a line labeled "Soldiers". That number is how large your battle group would have to be to support the number of coordinations you have with zero levels of Coordinated. Compare that with the actual size of your battle group. If it's a thousand times as large, Coordinated is making you a thousand times stronger.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Just for a start, only half your trimps fight. A 5% increase in total trimps gives a 2.5% increase in your fighting force.
Right, that's why I said 5%. And that's not even counting the fact that it's also increasing the number of workers increasing the raw materials for the next buy.

Quote:
. . .The tiny little 2% reduction has been applied twice. And for your hundredth coordination, it will have been applied a hundred times.

. . .
This is what I hadn't realized. Thank you!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Is there any kind of trick to beating The Spire? I can reach zone 200 fairly quickly. I then spend hours running maps. I wait until I've got every available gigastation, take every available upgrade, build lots of gyms and hire trainers, and I still die about two thirds through.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 PM

I'd say the main trick is to run the level 215 Bionic Wonderland for more prestiges. Another thing you can do is use more geneticists for more health. But in general you might simply not be strong enough yet, and need more helium, especially if buying all the prestiges up to zone 200 takes hours. What is your total helium? I had 407M (and +488% from Challenge2) when I first beat the Spire, though I was somehwat overprepared at that point.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd say the main trick is to run the level 215 Bionic Wonderland for more prestiges.
Didn't think of that. I'll try it.

Quote:
Another thing you can do is use more geneticists for more health. But in general you might simply not be strong enough yet, and need more helium, especially if buying all the prestiges up to zone 200 takes hours. What is your total helium? I had 407M (and +488% from Challenge2) when I first beat the Spire, though I was somehwat overprepared at that point.
I've got 261 million helium and 280% challenge2 bonus. My highest zone is 223.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:22 PM

Probably not impossible to beat the Spire with that, but I think it's on the underpowered side, so it'd take a lot of grinding for prestiges and then pushing up your breed time quite high with extra geneticists. More helium could definitely help a lot. As reference, enemies towards the end of the Spire can hit for over 7 Dv, and you probably won't be able to one hit kill them, so you'll have to be able to take several such hits to beat one.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I just loaded a saved gamed at 200. I tried running the 215BW, and couldn't scratch the surface of the first square.

A few more runs before I'm ready, then.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Is there any kind of trick to beating The Spire? I can reach zone 200 fairly quickly. I then spend hours running maps. I wait until I've got every available gigastation, take every available upgrade, build lots of gyms and hire trainers, and I still die about two thirds through.
Hmmm... What's your gigastation strategy? Maybe you're leaving a ton of housing on the table somewhere.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

It depends on the conditions of the particular run.

I do my first Gigastation when level 1 warpstations are becoming too expensive. About 110, or so. Then always increase the count each time I Gigastation.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It depends on the conditions of the particular run.

I do my first Gigastation when level 1 warpstations are becoming too expensive. About 110, or so. Then always increase the count each time I Gigastation.
Well, that's the right way to do that. Have you run your perks through a calculator at all to see how the recommendations jibe with your own settings?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:09 PM

110 for the first gigastation seems too far the other way in my opinion, you're leaving a lot of Tauntimp population growth to waste by waiting so long to upgrade. I usually won't go past 50 or so before upgrading the first time. Always more is a good plan, though.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 PM

I can't believe I missed this by one minute: http://imgur.com/a/wPxkB

[Shatner voice] Trimmmmmmmps!!!!!! [end Shatner voice]
Old 08-03-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:

So I finally remembered to run it as soon as I got to Zone 80. I got the next three achieves for speed run on the Prison, with a net damage increase of 50%!

I really have to pay more attention to the achievements! ! !

Old 08-04-2017, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Just the other day I was able to finish the last speed challenge for Prison (1 hour 30 minutes) with twenty seconds to spare. I ended up pumping metal into my gear like crazy in the home stretch until my arbalest was something like level 45.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

So, on my latest run, I managed to push through to 171 to unlock the damage achievement and the Bionic Wonderland bonus. In so doing, I've unlocked the Devastation challenge.

Any tips on how to go at it? Am I capable of doing it right away if I can get to this point, or do I need to grind a few more runs until I can reach higher zones? Any tips on how to deal with it aside from "have lots of health"? How important is the Overkill perk anyway?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

The overkill perk means that you zoom through the early zones at high speed. It will help you pick up some speed bonuses that would otherwise be unobtainable.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Oh, and on maps you can gather resources twice as quickly.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Any tips on how to go at it? Am I capable of doing it right away if I can get to this point, or do I need to grind a few more runs until I can reach higher zones?
With your new bonus, you should be fine. It'll take a little longer, since the Overkill may slow you down a bit - but there's no additional obstacle. And if you can't beat Imploding Star at 170, just grind a few more levels and try then.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I've just reached zone 230, and the dimensional generator has appeared in the buildings tab. There's a bonus available for "use the dimensional generator." What do I do to earn it?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Just the other day I was able to finish the last speed challenge for Prison (1 hour 30 minutes) with twenty seconds to spare. I ended up pumping metal into my gear like crazy in the home stretch until my arbalest was something like level 45.
Wait Arbalest? What's an arbalest, and why don't have one?

Is it because I'm a girl?!?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Wait Arbalest? What's an arbalest, and why don't have one?

Is it because I'm a girl?!?

You get 2 new equipments when you complete the Slow challenge, unlocked at zone 130.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I've just reached zone 230, and the dimensional generator has appeared in the buildings tab. There's a bonus available for "use the dimensional generator." What do I do to earn it?
Get at least 0.5 fuel (3 cells is enough) and wait until the timer on the generator completes a loop.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure if you missed it by one second, or by 30 seconds, but I got an achievement despite being a few seconds over the time limit. So apparently a few seconds over at least still counts as "X minutes or less", but it's hard to know whether it goes to the next minute after the full minute is up (like with Magmamancers/Meditation) or after 30 seconds (like with the time elapsed in the zone). Since I have all of the speed achievements now, I can't exactly test and try it out. I suggest to others to wait until you get both Blacksmithery 2 and Ultraspeed (or whatever it's called) 2 before trying to do the Spire in an hour, even though I've proven the former isn't absolutely necessary if you've gotten to Zone 300 before, because it was damn close and I was scrambling the last few minutes.

Last edited by glowacks; 08-16-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Call Me... Tim View Post
110 for the first gigastation seems too far the other way in my opinion, you're leaving a lot of Tauntimp population growth to waste by waiting so long to upgrade. I usually won't go past 50 or so before upgrading the first time. Always more is a good plan, though.
I don't think the Tauntimp bonus is really relevant compared to getting more efficiently costed Warpstations. You want to get guys sooner than later mainly if you need to read more Coordinations, which will be the case for a while, as well as get more guys to work so you can read more prestiges, which will pretty much always be the case near the end of a run.