Old 08-29-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Marina Sirtis (Lt. Troi) has a recurring role on NCIS.
She was also in a Sherlock Holmes episode, The Six Napoleons, as an Italian mobster's daughter.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:07 PM

Decades ago, I saw young James Doohan (with fake Scottish accent) on the sitcom "Hazel."
Old 08-29-2017, 03:37 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Did James Doohan do anything post Trek besides play Scotty on a STNG episode, and the comic role where he satirized Scotty?
Old 08-29-2017, 03:45 PM

He worked pretty steadily up until his health went south. There's a lot of Trek and Trek parody in there, but plenty of work, even aside from that.

Hilariously, one of his characters was named Chief O'Brien.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

That's good, I heard or read him say that he would go in for casting, a secretary would say, "Hello, Scotty!" and he would be shown the door.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
There are. A quick look at IMDB turns up Julie Parrish ("Miss Piper"), Malachi Throne ("Commodore Mendez"), Michael Ansara and Susan Howard ("Kang and Mara"), Bibi Besch ("Dr Marcus"), Sandra Smith (batshit-crazy "Dr Lester"), Richard Herd ("Admiral Paris"), Rene Auberjonois ("Odo"), Kate Woodville ("Natira"), Sharon Acker ("Odonna"), John Anderson ("Kevin Uxbridge" in "The Survivors" on TNG), Paul Carr ("Lt Kelso"), Charles Napier (space hippie "Adam"). And that's only about halfway down the list!
I was trying to go from memory. Should have remembered Sandra Smith, though. Saw her on Rockford and had one of those "where have I seen her before" moments. I think that and Trek are the only two times I've seen her in anything.

But as I said, everybody was in everything back then.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Sandra Smith was in Naked City at 18. I thought I'd watched all of them.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:03 PM

This is fun! In the late '60s and early '70s, I used to drive my mother crazy by saying "Hey, he/she was on Star Trek!" whenever I watched television. And yes, I'm going by memory. I only resorted to IMBD to get some background information.

George Takei was in a first-season episode of Mission: Impossible as a bacteriologist/biochemist. The IMF infiltrated a school for spies in order to prevent a biological attack on the United States (George was one of the good guys).
Old 08-29-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
LeVar Burton (minus visor) was helping to construct the Statue of Liberty and fell to his death in the TVM "Liberty."
LeVar "Kunta Kinte" Burton.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I only resorted to IMBD to get some background information.
Is there a way to search IMDb for actors who appeared in two different franchises, or at least two different series? Two of the biggest franchises in TV history (perhaps the two biggest) are Star Trek and Law & Order, but off the top of my head I can only think of two actors that were in both.

SPOILER:
Carolyn McCormick and Billy Campbell.
There have to be more.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:24 PM

Before she was Ilia in ST:TMP, Persis Khambatta was in this movie opposite Michael Caine and Sidney Poitier:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073901/

Looking over her career at Memory Alpha, I see she was in lots of other productions with Trek alumni:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Persis_Khambatta

Last edited by terentii; 08-29-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Is there a way to search IMDb for actors who appeared in two different franchises, or at least two different series? Two of the biggest franchises in TV history (perhaps the two biggest) are Star Trek and Law & Order, but off the top of my head I can only think of two actors that were in both.

SPOILER:
There have to be more.
You could copy their cast lists and run them through the Compare function in Microsoft Word. (That might actually work!) Otherwise, I guess you'd just have to scroll through them name by name, or use the IMBD Search function if you already have a name.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:

SPOILER:
There have to be more.
I can tell you from memory that Malachi Throne did both.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:

George Takei was in a first-season episode of Mission: Impossible as a bacteriologist/biochemist. The IMF infiltrated a school for spies in order to prevent a biological attack on the United States (George was one of the good guys).
In that same episode, I believe, they're walking down a corridor in the underground lab and it's an Enterprise corridor. (ST and M:I both filmed by Paramount.)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
Marina Sirtis (Lt. Troi) has a recurring role on NCIS.
She also showed everything in a movie titled The Wicked Lady (1983). I've yet to see this, but I do have some stills from it. And yes, her physical attributes are delightful!
Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
In that same episode, I believe, they're walking down a corridor in the underground lab and it's an Enterprise corridor. (ST and M:I both filmed by Paramount.)
Back then, Desilu.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
There are. A quick look at IMDB turns up Julie Parrish ("Miss Piper"), Malachi Throne ("Commodore Mendez"), Michael Ansara and Susan Howard ("Kang and Mara"), Bibi Besch ("Dr Marcus"), Sandra Smith (batshit-crazy "Dr Lester"), Richard Herd ("Admiral Paris"), Rene Auberjonois ("Odo"), Kate Woodville ("Natira"), Sharon Acker ("Odonna"), John Anderson ("Kevin Uxbridge" in "The Survivors" on TNG), Paul Carr ("Lt Kelso"), Charles Napier (space hippie "Adam"). And that's only about halfway down the list!
I thought Richard Herd seemed familiar. I've been watching this cop show with some other Star Trek actor whose name escapes me at the moment . He played Captain Sheridan.

Michael Ansara, of course, was married to Barbara Eden and appeared on I Dream of Jeannie as the blue djinn.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Michael Ansara, of course, was married to Barbara Eden and appeared on I Dream of Jeannie as the blue djinn.
I just saw a minute of that episode today in fact.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I thought Richard Herd seemed familiar. I've been watching this cop show with some other Star Trek actor whose name escapes me at the moment . He played Captain Sheridan.

Kate Woodville was in another early episode of Mission: Impossible. Unusually, she was whacked by the bad guys around the first station break.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Kate Woodville was in another early episode of Mission: Impossible. Unusually, she was whacked by the bad guys around the first station break.
She was also in "Hot Snow," the very first episode of The Avengers in 1961. She played the fiancee of Dr David Keel (Ian Hendry) and was murdered by drug smugglers, setting up the scenario for Keel's collaboration with the mysterious John Steed (Patrick MacNee) and the series' title.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hCEMxbCdVqiNTs
Old 08-29-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
He made a nice villain in Out to Sea.

And an airline pilot in Die Hard 2. Worth seeing if you're into that sort of thing.

Colm Meaney also had a hilarious over the top performance as DEA agent in Con-Air.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
She was also in "Hot Snow," the very first episode of The Avengers in 1961. She played the fiancee of Dr David Keel (Ian Hendry) and was murdered by drug smugglers, setting up the scenario for Keel's collaboration with the mysterious John Steed (Patrick MacNee) and the series' title.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hCEMxbCdVqiNTs
Another Fun Fact: She was married to MacNee for four years (1965--69). I had forgotten that!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
For my money, it's even more hilarious in retrospect that he's delivering unhelpful exposition while driving Ah-nuld around in that cab in TOTAL RECALL.

Incidentally, the first thing I remember seeing John de Lancie in was the '80s revival of TWILIGHT ZONE, where he's in a memorable episode with Brent Spiner. (Well, it was memorable to me, anyhow; one line stunned ten-year-old me for the win.)
Also in Total Recall is Gul Dukat!

Last edited by beowulff; 08-29-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Not to mention Ronny Cox!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:25 PM

Andrew "Garak" Robinson was the killer in the first "Dirty Harry" movie. Even under all that Kardashian make-up (), he has the same insane eyes.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I just turned on an old episode of Law & Order and not a minute later there was Bibi Besch. But she was only in a Trek movie, so still not quite what I'm looking for.

Checked her page on IMDb; didn't realize she had died so young.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Andrew "Garak" Robinson was the killer in the first "Dirty Harry" movie. Even under all that Kardashian make-up (), he has the same insane eyes.
Oh, there's one; Garak on Deep Space Nine and the third season Law & Order episode "Consultation".
Old 08-30-2017, 12:40 AM

Robinson also played JFK in an episode of the eighties Twilight Zone revival series. Pretty sure Mark Alaimo did an episode of Quantum Leap.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
I mentioned this in another thread awhile back, but there is an early Rockford Files episode where he is driving through the desert and a semi tried to run him off the road. He stops at a gas station to call the police on the pay phone, and the gas station attendant is Marc Alaimo. I'm not sure I would have even recognized him if I hadn't seen his name in the credits.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 AM

I spotted Barry Russo ("Lt Cdr Giotto," "Commodore Wesley") as a two-bit gangster in an episode of The Untouchables, another Desilu production. He was being grilled by Robert Stack as Eliot Ness, who wanted him to fink on his boss:

"You don't care about my skin!"

"That's right, punk. I care more about the skin on a sausage."
Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I saw an ep of "Mannix" recently that had both *Paul Carr ("Lt. Kelso" from "Where No Man Has Gone Before") and Roger Perry ("Capt. Christopher" from "Tomorrow Is Yesterday.")

*Interesting looking at Paul Carr's filmography that he did some voice credits under the name Lee Kelso.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Michael Ansara was all over the place. He was TV's answer to Yul Brynner and Anthony Quinn -- the All-Purpose Ethnic. He played American Indians, Middle Eastern-types, Russians, Aliens, and what-have-you. He was Qarlo Kobrigny, the Soldier from the Future in the Harlan Ellison-scripted Outer Limits episode Soldier.

In addition to appearing a couple of times on I Dream of Jeanie (and being married to Barbara Eden), he also directed at least one episode.

He also played The Mummy (or, at least a Mummy) in Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy, a movie that also featured a pre-Dick Van Dyke Show Richard Deacon.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 08-30-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
I saw an ep of "Mannix" recently that had both *Paul Carr ("Lt. Kelso" from "Where No Man Has Gone Before") and Roger Perry ("Capt. Christopher" from "Tomorrow Is Yesterday.")

*Interesting looking at Paul Carr's filmography that he did some voice credits under the name Lee Kelso.
I never made the connection: Roger Perry played a different character in each of the two "Count Yorga (vampire)" films. OMG, he was married to Jo Anne "Laugh-in" Worley, and is now married to Joyce Bulifant.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Lee Meriwether ("Losira" in "That Which Survives") turned up as a perky suburban housewife in an episode of Leave It to Beaver. I used to love watching her in Time Tunnel when I was in sixth grade. She was so damned hot in those knee-length skirts and white lab coats! Of course, she was also The Catwoman in the 1966 movie Batman.

Leslie Parrish ("Lt Palomas" in "Who Mourns for Adonais?") was in an episode of Batman as a ditzy beauty queen who was kidnapped by The Penguin. She wore skin-tight gold lame slacks, grrrrrr!

It'd be interesting to do a Star Trek--Batman crossover study. Right offhand, I can think of Frank Gorshin, Sherry Jackson, Nancy Kovacs (The Mad Hatter's moll), and Julie Newmar (the original Catwoman).

Last edited by terentii; 08-30-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
He also played the lead in Ensign Pulver the bad sequel to Mister Roberts.
Tige Andrews ("Kras the Klingon" in "Friday's Child") was one of the sailors in Mr Roberts, both the movie and the original stage play.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Antoinette Bower (Sylvia, "Catspaw") was in a Charles Bronson movie, "The Evil That Men Do."
Saw her the other night on Twilight Zone opposite Richard Basehart in "Probe 7, Over and Out," another "Adam and Eve" story. It's noted at IMDb that Basehart's character obviously flew from Alpha Centauri to Earth, and not the other way around.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Saw her the other night on Twilight Zone opposite Richard Basehart in "Probe 7, Over and Out," another "Adam and Eve" story.
I can't (or don't want to) believe that Serling wrote something so corny.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I can't (or don't want to) believe that Serling wrote something so corny.
I've noticed this time around that TZ went rapidly downhill after Season 2. What got me in "Probe 7" (aside from the horrible production values) was Basehart's use of "galaxy" instead of "solar system." Seems to me that by this time, Rod & Co. were just phoning it in.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've noticed this time around that TZ went rapidly downhill after Season 2. What got me in "Probe 7" (aside from the horrible production values) was Basehart's use of "galaxy" instead of "solar system." Seems to me that by this time, Rod & Co. were just phoning it in.
I'm not familiar with the seasons. I was watching it on METV, but it was filling up the drive. But I digress. Serling was so could, I can't imagine him "phoning it in", but he surely did on this episode.
Galaxy vs. Solar System; perhaps they were trying to be sure we understood that they weren't from Earth. And that's how Adam and Eve populated the world. Gag.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Lee Meriwether ("Losira" in "That Which Survives") turned up as a perky suburban housewife in an episode of Leave It to Beaver. I used to love watching her in Time Tunnel when I was in sixth grade. She was so damned hot in those knee-length skirts and white lab coats! Of course, she was also The Catwoman in the 1966 movie Batman.

Leslie Parrish ("Lt Palomas" in "Who Mourns for Adonais?") was in an episode of Batman as a ditzy beauty queen who was kidnapped by The Penguin. She wore skin-tight gold lame slacks, grrrrrr!

It'd be interesting to do a Star Trek--Batman crossover study. Right offhand, I can think of Frank Gorshin, Sherry Jackson, Nancy Kovacs (The Mad Hatter's moll), and Julie Newmar (the original Catwoman).
Yvonne Craig in Whom Gods Destroy.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yvonne Craig in Whom Gods Destroy.
... And Malachi Throne, as noted above.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:23 PM

This is sort of the opposite, but I've been rewatching Voyager and both partners of HHM from Better Call Saul have shown up - Michael McKean (Charles McGill) as the Clown in S02E23 "The Thaw" and Patrick Fabian (Howard Hamlim) as a Taresian in S03E20 "Favorite Son".

John DeLancie voices an evil Protoss (Alarak) in Starcraft II.

Couple of big names in Transformers... Leonard Nimoy voiced Galvatron in the '86 animated movie and Sentinel Prime in Dark of the Moon; George Takei voiced Yoketron in Transformers: Animated and Alpha Trion in Transformers: Prime
Old 08-30-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I'm not familiar with the seasons. I was watching it on METV, but it was filling up the drive.
Seasons 1 and 2 were great. By the time they got into Season 3, I could tell in the first thirty seconds what the setup and "twist" were going to be. Season four was half-hour episodes padded to full hours. By the fifth season, I think they just didn't care any more.

The cycle of reruns began again just the other night. The change in quality is pretty dramatic.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Serling himself confessed that it was getting harder and harder to write new stories, and that he found himself basically reworking his older stories--a problem that formed the basis of the "Night Gallery" vignette "Midnight Never Ends."
Old 08-30-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Roger C. Carmel comes to mind.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:53 PM

John Daly ("Mr Flint" in "Requiem for Methuselah") was a East European bad guy in a first-season episode of Mission: Impossible. This was one in which Dan Briggs "had to" impersonate him "because of his bone structure." In truth, this was done to limit Steven Hill's scenes since he, as an Orthodox Jew, refused to work on weekends (M:I, like Star Trek, was notorious for going over schedule and over budget). At one point, Briggs-in-disguise almost slipped up by not using a cigarette holder, as Daly's character did.

Hill's refusal to work after sundown on Fridays was also the reason he was replaced with Peter Graves after the first season of M:I.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Couple of big names in Transformers... Leonard Nimoy voiced Galvatron in the '86 animated movie and Sentinel Prime in Dark of the Moon; George Takei voiced Yoketron in Transformers: Animated and Alpha Trion in Transformers: Prime
I guess Takei needed the money, but Nimoy?
Old 08-30-2017, 04:17 PM

Just remembered: Michael Forest ("Apollo" in "Who Mourns for Adonais?") was an alien invader in "Black Leather Jackets" on Twilight Zone the other night. He was pretty damned scary in that, too!

Last edited by terentii; 08-30-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
...Michael McKean...
Another Trek/L&O crossover; good catch.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:21 PM

Bakula, too, because of course he did.