Old 10-04-2019, 02:44 AM

Term or concept for that which is neither something nor nothing

For a while I have considered reality and existence irrational. All explanations either lead to a godlike creature or set of natural laws that simply have to exist for no known explanation. It seems much tidier and simpler if there was nothing at all, no universe. So our existence is irrational no matter what.

But then, I realized that nothingness, having its quality of being nothing, is just as irrational as existence. Both existence and non-existence are irrational, because they require definition.

So any object, force or lack of same lives in this sort of binary world where it either exists or it doesn't. What I am seeking is the place beyond existence and non-existence.

Is there a term or philosophy for this? A German word? The irrational universe? Have I explained what I am seeking properly?
Old 10-04-2019, 03:41 AM

Been reading some Sartre ?

Maybe you are referring to "shunyata" (Nagarjuna is famous for writing about this)
Old 10-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

I think you already found the term. It's "irrational".

Looking for something that both exists, and doesn't exist, doesn't exist. If you then conclude that "therefore it does and doesn't exist", that's irrational. And you've found it.

Or maybe you haven't, and therefore have.

Regards/Not Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-04-2019, 07:59 AM

It is sometimes called philosophy's primal query. Why is there something rather than nothing? There is no conceivable answer. God? No, for why is there a god rather than nothing? God created herself? What drivel.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Not exactly something or nothing, but how about an axiom? As in, we must assume that what we define as "something" is indeed "something" for the sake of proceeding forward and that even if we are some wholly imaginary creature or a brain in a vat, we have no way of knowing or investigating that and so we must set aside the question as irrelevant.

Our existence is axiomatic.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Eh, Shit Happens. Or it doesn't.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Eh, Shit Happens. Or it doesn't.
But if a bear craps in the woods, but never turns to see the stool, did it ever really crap?

Last edited by ASL v2.0; 10-04-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:03 PM

Existential Vacuum.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:41 PM

I believe it is incoherent to say that nothing can't be nothing because we're able to come up with a word and description of it. And I think it's really incoherent to ask for a word/description to describe things that have so little existence they can't be named or described.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:47 PM

Your neck o'the woods, welcome.

I live in the tree over there, 3rd to the right of that other tree.

Nice to have company now and then, we get...so few... visitors here. But we're not really isolated here, what with the cb and shortwave and now the internet.

Oh, before I forget, here's a welcome gift, not much really, just a couple of handcrafted hollowed out pinecones, one full of nothing and one full of something. They should look quite nice on your mantelpiece. Er, try not to let the nothing filled one fall into the fire though...that might be bad.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:50 PM

"Undefinable"
"Ineffable"
"Beyond comprehension"

There's plenty of ways to describe the concept, there's no practical use for it though.