Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 PM

MLB: Post season means extra officials.

So, we have two more officials on the baselines. Which is okay, happy to see people earning a living.

But, I would rather have an official with a great view of the front edge of home plate. First and third base officials just don't have a clean view for a check swing. And an incorrect call can take the gas out of a rally.

I realize that the ruling on a check swing is rather nebulous, but with this extra official I believe it could be more precise.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
So, we have two more officials on the baselines. Which is okay, happy to see people earning a living.
There are many less playoff games than regular season games. Just like the teams that don't make the playoffs, the majority of umps go home for the postseason. It's not like they're hiring extra guys off the street.

Quote:
But, I would rather have an official with a great view of the front edge of home plate. First and third base officials just don't have a clean view for a check swing. And an incorrect call can take the gas out of a rally.

I realize that the ruling on a check swing is rather nebulous, but with this extra official I believe it could be more precise.
The first base official umpire can clearly see the plate for a RH batter while the third base ump can clearly see the plate for a LH batter. Where would you like these extra officials umpires to stand? In the field of play where they might alter the trajectory of a hit ball &/or obstruct the line of vision on the infielders? How much protective gear/body armor are you giving them to prevent being injured by batted balls?
Between home & first/third base but in foul territory, closer than the base coaches? How much closer than the existing first/third base umps? Again, in full protective gear because they have so little time to react given how close they are to the batter?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:29 AM

I see your point, but don't see where on the field these officials could stand safely, unless they are wearing a suit of armor.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
I see your point, but don't see where on the field these officials could stand safely, unless they are wearing a suit of armor.
Drones. Baseball needs drones.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 PM

No human can accurately assess check swings. Like with the strike zone, only technology can get it right.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
There are many less playoff games than regular season games. Just like the teams that don't make the playoffs, the majority of umps go home for the postseason. It's not like they're hiring extra guys off the street.

Obviously.

The first base official umpire can clearly see the plate for a RH batter while the third base ump can clearly see the plate for a LH batter.

Not a question of seeing the plate. Seeing the plate in relationship to the bat. They cannot see how far the bat is swung. No metrics.

Between home & first/third base but in foul territory, closer than the base coaches? How much closer than the existing first/third base umps? Again, in full protective gear because they have so little time to react given how close they are to the batter?
Good point. And thanks for your reply.

Last edited by harmonicamoon; 10-04-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
No human can accurately assess check swings. Like with the strike zone, only technology can get it right.
Excellent point.

Bring it on!

Thank you for the reply.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:

I have been arguing for this for twenty years. Baseball is ridiculous in how it officiates its own games.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:

I'd rather see the 2 extra umps parked right under the fair poles, where they can easily make fair/foul calls, as well as check whether outfielders have caught the ball legally and/or can note fan interference. Having them 40 feet behind the regular 1st/3rd umps makes zero sense.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
But, last I looked, a check swing isn't defined in any objective way. Has MLB changed the rules? If not, how can technology possibly assess what is a judgement call by definition?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
But, last I looked, a check swing isn't defined in any objective way. Has MLB changed the rules? If not, how can technology possibly assess what is a judgement call by definition?
Exactly. But I believe it is generally called when the bat inches in front of home plate.

But, definitely a judgement call. And it happens so fast that only a slo-mo replay can detect it.

A very nebulous call.

Last edited by harmonicamoon; 10-06-2019 at 11:41 AM.