Old 10-10-2019, 12:49 AM

The Weather Channel is naming blizzards again this year

Give it up, why don't you? Nobody else is playing along.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Give it up, why don't you? Nobody else is playing along.
I've seen other outlets using their phony names.

It'd be nice if the rest of the news media ignored them.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 10-10-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:45 AM

I didn't even know The Weather Channel still covered the weather. I thought it was all Highway Through Hell and Ice Road truckers and endless repeats of Twister and The Day After Tomorrow.

And if they follow the pattern of History Channel, programs about secret Nazi weather controllers.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Is there any 'standard' (other than hype) for naming storms? If TWC calls this one Andrew my local NBC affiliate may call it that since they share corporate ownership, but what about ABC, CBS or FOX; do they also call it Andrew or do they name it Adam or Anthony or Ashley or Amanda or...
Old 10-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm amazed at how well adopted their naming scheme is going. Most local news reports are using TWC names, much to my dismay.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:27 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

What happened to the good ol' days of the blizzard of '66... Ah yes, I remember that one - we were out of school for a week, and, um, sorry, slipped into geezer mode.

Yeah, to me naming blizzards is silly.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Is there any 'standard' (other than hype) for naming storms? If TWC calls this one Andrew my local NBC affiliate may call it that since they share corporate ownership, but what about ABC, CBS or FOX; do they also call it Andrew or do they name it Adam or Anthony or Ashley or Amanda or...
Outside of tropical storms (which are named by the World Meteorlogical Association), no, there is no standard.

Also, TWC isn't owned by NBC any longer; it was sold to Entertainment Studios (which is owned by Byron Allen -- yes, the comedian who was on "Real People" back in the 1970s) in 2018.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I didn't even know The Weather Channel still covered the weather. I thought it was all Highway Through Hell and Ice Road truckers and endless repeats of Twister and The Day After Tomorrow.

And if they follow the pattern of History Channel, programs about secret Nazi weather controllers.
My wife is a weather junkie, and is frustrated because here in California those crap programs are they only think you see on TWC during prime time. Not to mention they think we don't have weather out here.

Weather Underground which we get on Dish at least covers the weather at reasonable hours. TWC went to hell when they got bought. Naming blizzards is hardly their worst sin.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
My wife is a weather junkie, and is frustrated because here in California those crap programs are they only think you see on TWC during prime time. Not to mention they think we don't have weather out here.

Weather Underground which we get on Dish at least covers the weather at reasonable hours. TWC went to hell when they got bought. Naming blizzards is hardly their worst sin.
I agree, TWC is now close to useless for actual weather information. You either get bad reality TV programming (with a vague tie back to weather), or breathless coverage of severe weather.

My cable system (Comcast) used to carry Weatherscan, which is TWC's automated weather information channel, until a year or so ago, when they dropped it for some reason. This annoyed me quite a bit, as I actually used Weatherscan all the time. I have the WeatherNation and AccuWeather apps on my Fire Stick, and i resort to those sometimes; otherwise, I just use my phone or computer. And, I stopped using TWC's mobile app and web site, because they've become horrible; I use the AccuWeather app, and the NWS site when I'm on my computer.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

This would be some fine parody if it wasn't spot-on.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

"Aw, man! We were gonna have a picnic and maybe a nice little hike at that state park outside of town, but then along came Afternoon Shower Zenobia, and totally ruined our plans!"
Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Where I live, we just call it "snow". We'd use up the baby names book if we had to start naming them.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 10-10-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Where I live, we just call it "snow". We'd use up the baby names book if we had to start naming them.
For the first couple of years, they used the names of Greek and Roman gods and goddesses, and when they ran out of those, started using "regular" names. This first storm is named Aubrey.

The first storm was dubbed Athena, and I have a Facebook friend named Athena (former co-worker) whose response to hearing about was, "Say whaaat?"
Old 10-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
For the first couple of years, they used the names of Greek and Roman gods and goddesses, and when they ran out of those, started using "regular" names. This first storm is named Aubrey.
And Aubry was its name
Not a very ordinary source of snow
It would only blow
No it never came around
If it did it never made a sound,
Maybe I was absent or was listening to fast,
Catching all the snow, but then the drifts are going past,
Old 10-12-2019, 02:46 AM

If they are going to do that, at least start with Z, and go backwards. Otherwise the names at the end of the alphabet will get lonely.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
What happened to the good ol' days of the blizzard of '66... Ah yes, I remember that one - we were out of school for a week, and, um, sorry, slipped into geezer mode.
You think you're a geezer? I remember the Great Blizzard of 1950. We had snow drifts up to our 2nd floor windows!