Old 10-12-2019, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Is Debra Harry High In This Video?

Something I have wondered for some time now. Does Debra Harry look high in this Blondie video?

I have nothing against limited drug use. I have never tried drugs myself. But to each his own I suppose.

Her movements just seem unnatural. Although I guess it could just be her overall mannerisms.

What do the rest of you think? And BTW, she is in Studio 54, which was notorious for its drug use. So it's not as far-fetched as you may think.

Last edited by Jim B.; 10-12-2019 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Her movements just seem unnatural. Although I guess it could just be her overall mannerisms.
She's trying to be uber-cool, so her movements are kind of stylized, just like the rest of the band. She doesn't look high to me.

Quote:
And BTW, she is in Studio 54, which was notorious for its drug use. So it's not as far-fetched as you may think.
Next you'll be trying to convince us that she had sexual relations out of wedlock, and engaged in rock and/or roll.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:59 AM

She doesn't look high to me. I've been around a bunch of drunk people, not as many but some stoned on other things. Some folks can wear a high or drunk better than others. I'm willing to believe she probably imbibed. The line of work she was in and the times suggest she did.
But what do I know?
A guess is all I got.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-12-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:29 AM

I mean, I can't say she wasn't, but if the way she's performing in that video is an indication of such, she was probably stoned in every video and recorded live performance I'm aware of - the awkward dancing and facial movements are pretty consistent. Seems to be her brand.

(Nitpick...her name is spelt Deborah, and she usually goes by Debbie.)

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 10-12-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if she was specifically high while making that video. But Harry has been open about her past history of drug addiction.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:42 AM

She's given interviews in which she said that she was a drug addict and did a lot of cocaine and heroine back then. It was the 80s, everyone was coked out of their mind all the time.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

She's always had a heavy-lidded minimalist personality. Still does, I think. Some people are just permanently mellow.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
I mean, I can't say she wasn't, but if the way she's performing in that video is an indication of such, she was probably stoned in every video and recorded live performance I'm aware of - the awkward dancing and facial movements are pretty consistent. Seems to be her brand.
yeah, I guessed before clicking which one it was and it was pretty much her "thing", effortless cool even when a little awkward and weird.

I confess a bias of course. "Paralell Lines" was the first album I ever bought and she was was first star crush, not a bad place to start I don't think.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 AM

Well, let's see. 1978. Studio 54. Debby Harry. Yes, she's high in that video.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:33 AM

My favorite part of the video is at the 2:53 mark. If you have the captioning on, it changes "once I had love and it was a gas/soon turned out, had a heart of glass" to "once I had love and it was a gas/soon turned out to be a pain in the ass."

Doesn't detract from the meaning of the song even an iota.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 AM

I do think she looks a little stumbly/uncoordinated. No telling what the drug is, but it seems to be a bit sedating/relaxing. Quaaludes?
Old 10-12-2019, 07:47 AM

Deborah, or Debbie.

ETA: sorry, ninjad

Last edited by kayaker; 10-12-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:57 AM

I don't know, but thank you for brightening my Saturday morning.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Yeah, given my memories of the punk and new wave scene at the time and her own descriptions of her behavior I'd be astonished if she wasn't high shooting that video.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
My favorite part of the video is at the 2:53 mark. If you have the captioning on, it changes "once I had love and it was a gas/soon turned out, had a heart of glass" to "once I had love and it was a gas/soon turned out to be a pain in the ass."

She does sing the "ass" line as well as the "glass" line in the song, certainly on the album and that indeed is what she sings in the video as some amateur lip-reading will show you.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post

Isn't that the line? Maybe it was censored on AM radio or something, but that's the way I recall it.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:31 AM

I saw Blondie live around 1980 and she was just as wooden as in her videos. She had the stage presence of a guitar stand. Still, it was pretty good. Maybe it was drugs or maybe shyness, but Debbie Harry is not the crowd-pleasing, put on a show type.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Agreed. I used to own some compilation of music videos and performances of hers and she looks/acts like that in all of them.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:33 AM

The song originally started with just "pain in the ass" in all places. They didn't like using it so often so they replaced all but one. And that 3-letter word irked some folk. So it got bleeped or whatever at times.

The liner notes for The Platinum Collection (which had contributions from different members) said that the band was touring Australia and when they got back to NYC they heard it on the cab radio. They didn't know it had been released as a single, let alone was doing well on radio. Plus the single version was tweaked from the version they had produced in the studio to make it even more disco-y.

The big censorship tale was the studio insisting that Sex Offender be renamed. Hence X Offender.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I think she looks more bored than high. A lot of singers hate lip-synching for videos. Notice how the bass player just strums on a random electrical cord at one point.

Whether she used any substances to alleviate the boredom, I don't know.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:59 AM

If you've never tried any drugs yourself, and are dead set against trying any, try reading about them at https://www.erowid.org/psychoactives...oactives.shtml then consider donating to maintain this rich resource.

On the less academic side you can watch healthy young adults sample different psychoactive drugs and comment on their effects in controlled environments on the YouTube channel Drugslab https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvR...cK1yEnQ4Te8hWQ
Old 10-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Another vote for "I knew which video was in the OP's link before even clicking on it."

Quote:
What do the rest of you think? And BTW, she is in Studio 54, which was notorious for its drug use. So it's not as far-fetched as you may think.
It wasn't actually shot in Studio 54, though the exterior shot of that club's sign was undoubtedly meant to lead you to believe so. As per the song's entry on Wikipedia:

Quote:
The "Heart of Glass" promotional video was directed by Stanley Dorfman. Contrary to popular belief, it was not filmed at the Studio 54 nightclub; Chris Stein said that "in the video, there's a shot of the legendary Studio 54, so everyone thought we shot the video there, but it was actually in a short-lived club called the Copa or something".
Also, while I agree that Debbie often had that sort of tired/bored/stoned style in her videos (and she may well have been high during the shoot, for all the reasons already posted), there's an interesting quote from her in that Wikipedia article:

Quote:
"For the video, I wanted to dance around but they told us to remain static, while the cameras moved around. God only knows why. Maybe we were too clumsy."
Old 10-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Also, while I agree that Debbie often had that sort of tired/bored/stoned style in her videos (and she may well have been high during the shoot, for all the reasons already posted), there's an interesting quote from her in that Wikipedia article:
I like this quote as well: Jess Harvell wrote that while "owning your own copy of 'Heart of Glass' may not seem as cool [anymore]... there's the always luminous Deborah Harry, who would give boiling asparagus an erotic charge, all while looking too bored to live.

It's pretty apropos comment IMHO . As Blank Slate noted above she wasn't necessarily a dynamic performer and she had that deadpan, I-don't-give-a-shit stare perfected. Even as an actress her characters often came off as a bit detached and bored, but also wryly amused, which I think worked well for her.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 10-12-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
yeah, I guessed before clicking which one it was and it was pretty much her "thing", effortless cool even when a little awkward and weird.

I confess a bias of course. "Paralell Lines" was the first album I ever bought and she was was first star crush, not a bad place to start I don't think.
Blondie was the first concert I ever went to.
Opening act was Nick Lowe (!).

Man, was that an awesome first concert.