Old 10-12-2019, 06:29 PM

Comcast has taken away Turner Classic Movies

I believe this is the last straw. There is another game in town (Wave) in recent years, and I will be going down there on Monday to see if they have a package that suits.

TCM is apparently available in a Sports and Entertainment package, which I couldn't even find listed as an option on their website. Maybe that option isn't available in my market. But the station is still on the lineup and now it says that it needs a subscription.

Anyway, I am looking forward to going down to the Comcast service office with all my equipment (after the changeover is complete), laying it on the desk, and saying "Byeee." Forever.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM

There's a long thread on the TCM site about this--apparently the change has been happening around the country at differing times. http://forums.tcm.com/topic/261044-c...nment-package/

People are NOT happy.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:18 PM

Oh, no. This doesn't bode well. I'll die. Well, maybe not die but, be very upset.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Glad I have Fios, then. (And so does my sister--I spend some time each week at her place, helping with my mother's care.)
Turn the world around.
--Harry Belafonte (with the Muppets)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:25 PM

OP, assuming this is not temporary, the other option is to become a cord cutter and get your TV by streaming package(s). Here are several which include TCM:
https://flixed.io/watch-tcm-without-cable/amp/
Old 10-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I'm very peeved about it, too. TCM is my favorite channel. They want another $10/month for the "Sports Entertainment" package, which has literally no other channels I need or want. So a $10 increase just for TCM. Fuck that noise!

From my brief research, I think I'm going to switch to YouTube TV, which has all the channels I want to watch, including TCM, and is only $50/month, with a cloud DVR. I'll continue to use Netflix, Criterion, and Amazon Video on Roku. And I'll sign up for HBO on Roku.

The change will render my Tivo useless, except for a few dozen movies and shows that I've recorded and not watched.

I'll still have to use Comcast/Xfinity for Internet, but no more TV, and I may look into dropping the phone line, too, just to punish them, and going to VOIP. Any suggestions? I had Vonage briefly when I lived in Las Vegas, but had lots of dropouts in calls.

Last edited by commasense; 10-13-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
I'll still have to use Comcast/Xfinity for Internet, but no more TV, and I may look into dropping the phone line, too, just to punish them, and going to VOIP. Any suggestions? I had Vonage briefly when I lived in Las Vegas, but had lots of dropouts in calls.
I would think that dropouts are more likely a problem with your Internet connection more than the company providing VoIP, but that's not based on much technical knowledge. Of course with the loss of net neutrality, Comcast could punish your VOIP traffic if it isn't being provided by them (not that I actually think they are doing that).
Old 10-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
Glad I have Fios, then. (And so does my sister--I spend some time each week at her place, helping with my mother's care.)
We have FIOS also, but only get TCM in SD. Are you getting an HD version of the channel?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
We have FIOS also, but only get TCM in SD. Are you getting an HD version of the channel?
What is the point for HD for TCM?????? Nothing they broadcast is in HD!
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
If they are pulling the images off of the film, then HD would be better. AIUI, film has much higher resolution than any video format.

I remember one of the very first HD programs I saw with my HD TV was Hogan's Heroes - and the quality was tremendous. I assume that the show was filmed instead of video-taped, and that allowed them to make true a HD quality broadcast.

Note - it was some special HD channel, since at the time there was little to no HD over-the-air programming.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Apparently most of their library has SD videos, but they began creating HD versions a few years ago. The TCM Comcast is dropping was offered in HD, at least in MA.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

The majority of TCM's content (virtually all movies before the mid-50s) has a 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning there will be black bars on the sides. But that doesn't mean it's in SD resolution. I watch it on HD, and my perception is that most of their films are at least HD quality, even the older 4:3 stuff.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:40 AM

I have TCM back, at the cost of an additional $10 month; this apparently includes at least one other movie channel, which I haven't checked out yet. I am hoping this will be temporary, as I want to switch to another provider.

However, I went to the other provider's office today in Daly City, and it was closed in the middle of the day (1:30) and the "come back later"sign said 2:30. So either the office is staffed by one person who went out for a late lunch, or the one person was off sick today, or the office is not staffed at all. I will give them one more chance on Thursday. I really don't want to call another cable company and subject myself to their relentless selling, by people whose English is so heavily accented I can't understand them.

The weirdest thing happened when I tried to call Comcast directly. I called their 800 number and my call seemed to be hijacked to someone who was trying to sell me DirectTV. So I hung up and messaged Comcast to call me. What the heck was that about?

Last edited by Roderick Femm; 10-16-2019 at 12:41 AM.