Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-06-2019, 06:25 PM
sta3535 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 83

Why is online dating, along with trying to meet someone in person, frustrating at times?


For example, I find that certain people on dating apps lose interest quickly even after talking/hanging out with them. This applies for meeting people offline as well.

I know that complaining about this makes me sound like a "nice guy" or a desperate weirdo, but after awhile, you start to wonder why people act the way that they do.

Now, I don't mind making new friends, but when it comes to potentially dating someone, I know that it takes some sort of effort. However, instead of getting frustrated about it, I should stay positive & wait for good things to happen. You never know who'll you'll meet or run into.
  #2  
Old 10-14-2019, 02:50 PM
sta3535 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 83
It just baffles me how quickly people lose interest these days...

Last edited by sta3535; 10-14-2019 at 02:50 PM.
  #3  
Old 10-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,398
Assuming that the OP is a man, the main reason is simply that there are 1) a lot more men than women on many dating apps/websites and also that 2) men are generally the initiators, not women.

Add 1# and 2# together, and the result is that many women are simply flooded with messages at all times. They are bombarded. Faced with this vast array of male suitors to choose from, it's no wonder that most men will get no response the majority of the time. IIRC, it's common for men to only be successful on 1-3% of messages that they send on online dating apps or websites, if even that.
  #4  
Old 10-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 15,398
(Part 2)

Even if you manage to get talking with a woman, she still has numerous other men trying to get her. So you basically have to hit it off with her right away, or not at all. Either the sparks have to be there and she has to like you a lot quite soon, or else she can move on.

Is it insane? Yes. But that's how the economics and math of it have worked out. Online dating heavily favors women.
  #5  
Old 10-14-2019, 04:02 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 5,314
What the OP is describing is essentially "short attention span".

In the present day online world, and how media is presented, we have become conditioned to see something, hear something, and then move on quickly to the next thing. It is unfortunate that it seems this tendency is seeping into relationship interactions.

The economics and math aspects have always been present, but the "velocity" of people moving on has been amplified by the online and media world.
  #6  
Old 10-14-2019, 04:49 PM
msmith537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Assuming that the OP is a man, the main reason is simply that there are 1) a lot more men than women on many dating apps/websites and also that 2) men are generally the initiators, not women.
I've never done dating apps, but I've heard the same complaints from plenty of women.



I think (for both genders) it's because interacting through an app is easy. You can post messages or pictures back and forth at your convenience (or not at all if you like). Meeting someone in person requires you to get dressed, shower, physically go meet them, hope they aren't a psycho, and then deal with them for some period of time after which it is acceptable to leave.
  #7  
Old 10-14-2019, 04:56 PM
Zyada is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Foat Wuth!
Posts: 5,309
I'm a female trying to find a guy on Tinder. I'm not flooded, partially because on Tinder you have to have a mutual match, and possibly because I'm overweight.

But I have had a few responses. My problem is that what few conversations I've had seem to fizzle on the guys end.

My first criteria is that the person live close to where I do, so that's ended a few conversations. One conversation I asked if the guy played Pokemon Go - answer "Sometimes", and when I asked what team he was on, he never replied.

Conversation two was this:
Me: Where do you live?
Him: Dallas.
Me: Sorry farther than I want to go, I live in [suburb of Ft. Worth]
Him: I live in [suburb of Ft. Worth nearer to me]
Me: But you said you live in Dallas?
Him: Dallas-Ft. Worth

No, follow-up from him beyond that, no questions, no starting a conversation? Do you think he's actually uninterested, or is he waiting for me to ... what?

I've got a third conversation going, but it's devolved into
Me: ask a question
Him: respond
Me: ask a question
Him: respond

In general, he sounds like the kind of guy I would be interested in. Is he still interested in me, or is he just replying to questions because you answer questions when you're asked?

BTW, sta3535 if you're Rusty, and still interested, IM me.
  #8  
Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 PM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 26,788
My dating days ended long before the Internet, but the answer is as simple now as it was back in.

They're just not that into you.

It doesn't matter whether it's in a bar, on Tinder, or a blind date set up by a co-worker. If the sparks aren't there in the first impression, it's no sale.

If anything, it's even worse when you're trying to meet people online. The other person doesn't see how you carry yourself, whether your face is expressive, if you consistently make eye contact, speak confidently, etc. etc. All anyone can judge from is written words and what you hope are attractive photos.
  #9  
Old 10-15-2019, 06:17 AM
Squid_Baby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
My dating days ended long before the Internet, but the answer is as simple now as it was back in.

They're just not that into you.

It doesn't matter whether it's in a bar, on Tinder, or a blind date set up by a co-worker. If the sparks aren't there in the first impression, it's no sale.

If anything, it's even worse when you're trying to meet people online. The other person doesn't see how you carry yourself, whether your face is expressive, if you consistently make eye contact, speak confidently, etc. etc. All anyone can judge from is written words and what you hope are attractive photos.
Definitely agree with this. If you are attracted to each other on some level, there's motivation to get to know the other person more. If there's none then conversations will just die (esp online).
  #10  
Old 10-15-2019, 06:55 AM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,801
Probably the idea for women is that a better guy is just one click away.
  #11  
Old 10-15-2019, 01:50 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 12,029
I think it has a lot to do with the Paradox of Choice.

We're pretty bad at evaluating a wide range of choices. Apps present you with nearly limitless choices (or at least the illusion thereof) so we just flit from one to the other for a long time.

It's the same reason why I spend like 20 minutes looking around my options on Netflix instead of watching any of the like 200 movies that I'd likely enjoy.
  #12  
Old 10-15-2019, 02:24 PM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,127
I was 42 when I got divorced and I'm now 55. I have had a few longish relationships in the middle and some stretches of singlehood. I was scared to death after reading some of these threads just prior to my divorce but I found online dating to be easy as hell. I have had more dates and hookups than I care to think about.

I think that the main thing is that I was older when I started playing the game. It's much easier for middle aged men and it gets easier as we age. The dynamics switch. I am not a particularly great looking guy but I have managed to stay thin and I'm relatively wealthy which helps. Don't get me wrong, it can be exhausting. You just have to be persistent and have a thin skin. I don't mind at all getting turned down which happens all the time. It's part of the game.

I got out of a relationship several months back and recently put myself back out there. I'm relying more on Tinder/Bumble now. OKCupid went to complete shit and, very sadly, Craigslist got rid of their dating section. That's where I met my most recent ex.

Quit fucking whining and put in the work.

Last edited by hajario; 10-15-2019 at 02:24 PM.
  #13  
Old 10-15-2019, 08:23 PM
naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,642
As was pointed out in your previous thread on why people aren't getting to know as many people as possible and network, for many people social interaction is often more of an effort than it is worth. That applies even more to dating.

Combine that with the "she's just not that into you" mentioned above and it explain most of it.

There's also the fact that some people really feel the need to be in a relationship and jump into one as soon as they can. I don't know how they manage it, whether they are just more of a risk taker, or have low standards, or both. Other people are doing good by themselves and won't go into a relationship unless it's just right. The latter are not going to go through a bunch of dates to maybe develop a spark.

My personal experience is one of trying to "keep dating" when the other person was willing, and I wasn't absolutely certain they weren't my type. I'm not sure it was worth it. There were some good times, but it was also stressful and inevitably a dead end. When I eventually met my now wife it was an immediate match.

Of course that's a study with N = 1, so YMMW.
  #14  
Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 AM
pigtwo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
I'm a female trying to find a guy on Tinder. I'm not flooded, partially because on Tinder you have to have a mutual match, and possibly because I'm overweight.

But I have had a few responses. My problem is that what few conversations I've had seem to fizzle on the guys end.

My first criteria is that the person live close to where I do, so that's ended a few conversations. One conversation I asked if the guy played Pokemon Go - answer "Sometimes", and when I asked what team he was on, he never replied.

Conversation two was this:
Me: Where do you live?
Him: Dallas.
Me: Sorry farther than I want to go, I live in [suburb of Ft. Worth]
Him: I live in [suburb of Ft. Worth nearer to me]
Me: But you said you live in Dallas?
Him: Dallas-Ft. Worth

No, follow-up from him beyond that, no questions, no starting a conversation? Do you think he's actually uninterested, or is he waiting for me to ... what?

I've got a third conversation going, but it's devolved into
Me: ask a question
Him: respond
Me: ask a question
Him: respond

In general, he sounds like the kind of guy I would be interested in. Is he still interested in me, or is he just replying to questions because you answer questions when you're asked?

BTW, sta3535 if you're Rusty, and still interested, IM me.
I think your experience is very common for online dating. I'm a guy and probably around 75% of conversations are like the ones you've described. One time I asked a woman what she did for work(just to try to make conversation) and she replied "None of your business". That one at least made me laugh. This is sort of why the problem OP describes exists. My strategy is to get rid of the 75% terrible conversations as quickly as possible. If they don't seem interested I just stop replying. There's no reason to try to milk these people for conversation. I have a rule that if I ask 3 questions without them asking anything back or at least showing some reciprocated interested, I stop replying.

I think this is reasonable because in the beginning of online dating I would go on a date with anyone I didn't immediately dislike and I found attractive. Strangely enough plenty of people that didn't seem at all interested in me would agree to go on a date. But not once did those dates turn out well. So I think if the text conversation isn't going well it's pretty unlikely the real date will.

As for your two conversations I heard some rule that unless both people are very excited for a date, it probably isn't worth your time. That has held pretty true for me.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017