Old 10-12-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Probably not.

But your sink drain isnt designed for urine. The ones on a waterless urinal are.
What makes you say that urine mist won't be all around the sink? I suppose if you can make the stream go exactly into the sink drain it's okay. But with most bathroom sinks having a drain stopper, that wouldn't be possible. If the stream is hitting the sink, then urine will be splashing all around the inside of the sink and mist will be landing outside the sink.

If anyone really wants to check, pee in the sink and use a blacklight to see if any urine is left behind.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 AM

"Although it was dawn, I was still unable to see my hand in front of my face, the urine mist was that dense."
Old 10-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Consumer Reports recommends that households with men instill a regular, flush urinal if there's room in the bathroom, because it saves water. Other than the space it takes, I see no downside to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
Am I really the first person to challenge this assumption? Does the phrase "let the yellow mellow" mean nothing to you all (with great respect)?

At this point, I must disclose some... not embarrassing, but relevant medical information. My sense of smell is basically nonexistent. Itís a terrible, debilitating condition (), and as a consequence I honestly donít know if urine in the bowl leaves a lingering odor that will fill the room. Has anyone ever experimented with that, preferably in a controlled study? Even if the answer is that yes in fact it does stink up the room, is that still a better choice than putting one's... "fireman" on the counter to piss into a sink?

Subjectively, Iíd say no to the last question, but then, well, nose-blind, so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Fresh urine doesn't have much smell. And in a typical household, you're probably going to have an "if it's brown" before too long, so letting the yellow mellow won't be too much of a problem. But as urine ages, it does indeed start to stink, and even if you don't have need to flush solid waste, you'll still want to flush a toilet full of urine eventually.
Yes, it smells. My husband doesn't always flush if he only peed. I agree that if it's fresh, it's not too bad. In the morning, when we often use the toilet right after each other, I don't mind if he hasn't flushed. But if he goes at night, and I use the toilet in the morning, I find it unpleasant.

We live in the damp northeast, so I don't try very hard to save water, unless it's been a dry summer.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post

We live in the damp northeast, so I don't try very hard to save water, unless it's been a dry summer.
Again, it is not just saving water, it saves electricity and other resources.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
What makes you say that urine mist won't be all around the sink? I suppose if you can make the stream go exactly into the sink drain it's okay. But with most bathroom sinks having a drain stopper, that wouldn't be possible. If the stream is hitting the sink, then urine will be splashing all around the inside of the sink and mist will be landing outside the sink.

If anyone really wants to check, pee in the sink and use a blacklight to see if any urine is left behind.
It's the distance. When you urinate in the sink, there is a very short distance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-24820279
Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
It's the distance. When you urinate in the sink, there is a very short distance.
I actually put the end of Mr Happy right into the drain, so distance = 0.

/stealthbrag
Old 10-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Again, it is not just saving water, it saves electricity and other resources.
Sure, although I suspect the cost of treating the sewage is greater than the cost of shipping the water to me. At least, they charge a lot more for that.

But if you accept that the resource cost of stuff is at least loosely related to the dollar cost of the stuff, water is really cheap. Our water is local, by the way. Some comes from wells and some from an aquaduct that flows downhill from a short drive away. And since most of the cost is electricity and such, I don't think that's being weirdly subsidized. And the water itself is a renewable resource: every day the sun sucks it up from the oceans and drops it back down into the aquifer.

I'd probably save more energy by shopping less often (fewer trips) than by not flushing pee down the toilet. And leaving the pee to ripen is gross. Water is pretty low on my "resources I try not to waste" list. I'd treat it differently if i lived in CA or some other desert.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:04 PM

Holy Moly! I did a little calculation:
330 million Americans
times
0.5 male
times
0.5 receptive to environmental concerns
times
4 pees a day
times
1.5 gallons per flush
times
365 days a year
=
181 BILLION gallons of water saved per year. We can't afford NOT to pee in the sink!

Last edited by Jim Peebles; 10-16-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

OK, 181 billion gallons of water. What makes you say that that's a large amount?
Old 10-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
OK, 181 billion gallons of water. What makes you say that that's a large amount?
It's more than fits in my bath tub.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 AM

While we're on the subject, do they still have those abominable toilet bowls in Europe where instead of it being filled with water there's a shallow platform in back and a well in the front. I hated visiting my relatives not because of them, I loved them, but hated crapping there. It would just sit in open air unless you immediately courtesy flushed. You'd presumably have to wipe, so you wound up flushing twice per visit. Super wasteful.
-IQ
Old 10-17-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Yeah, living in the country, if I'm outside doing something I never go inside to pee. Never seen a lion, mountain or otherwise.
It works well as a bear deterrent. Have seen bears change direction to avoid my piss line.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Huh. I've been in mensrooms where someone was peeing in the sink. I never realized they were environmental warriors.
I was always an early adopter. Thank you. I like to think the whole world is my urinal no matter how much the police disagree. If show poodles can pee freely on fire hydrants, I see no reason why I can't do the same.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 10-17-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Remind me never to attend a Dopefest at the OP's house.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM

As the Mother of a grown son i would be horrified if he pee'd in a public restroom sink. I would consider my toilet training of him to be inadequate.
What he does in his own house I'll leave to my DIL to sort out. Somehow, I don't think she would find it amusing.
Even the deer camp that he and his Dad run has a nice bath-house. What they do on trees can stay in the woods, I don't wanna know about it.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:35 AM

My personal experience is that peeing in the sink causes the sink to smell like urine after a while. I discovered this living in a hotel in a downtown area, the bathroom was down the hall, and peeing in the sink was easier. But it smelled of urine when I moved in.

In regards to low-flow toilets, they can cause problems when there is not enough water to carry the feces all the way to the sewer. Drains can get clogged with dried waste, which sets up like concrete, requiring the drain line to be replaced.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
As the Mother of a grown son i would be horrified if he pee'd in a public restroom sink. I would consider my toilet training of him to be inadequate.
What he does in his own house I'll leave to my DIL to sort out. Somehow, I don't think she would find it amusing.
Even the deer camp that he and his Dad run has a nice bath-house. What they do on trees can stay in the woods, I don't wanna know about it.
If your son has attended a large rock concert or a sporting event, they've at least had the opportunity to pee in a public restroom sink. Pretty much everything with a drain gets used as a urinal at those.

We have no need for bathrooms! The universe is our bathroom!

Yeah, I'm another one of those folks who will just go ahead and pee outside if I'm outside. My mom was never happy about my dad's habit of doing that. On the other hand, I never saw any mountain lions, bobcats, bears or sharks hanging around.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:17 PM

In related news, the head of Oslo's sewer agency has told folks that when in the shower let it rip. It's getting a surprising amount of pushback.

I'd imagine the suggestion to use a sink would be met with even stronger resistance.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Yeah, I told my husband that I don't mind if he pees in the shower, but I'd be unhappy if he were peeing in the sink. (And yes, I would likely notice.)
Old 10-19-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Yeah, I told my husband that I don't mind if he pees in the shower, but I'd be unhappy if he were peeing in the sink. (And yes, I would likely notice.)
Splashback from the garbage disposal?

ETA: likely not the kitchen sink, I'll bet.

Last edited by kayaker; 10-19-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Remind me never to attend a Dopefest at the OP's house.
I might go to Jim's house, but he is definitely not coming to mine.