Old 12-12-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
What was the Babylonian Captivity?
This one doesn't work. The second "instance" was simply being called that a historical reference to the first.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
What well known person died in New York City on September 11, 2001?
There are obviously more than two answers to this. I don’t think you understand the OP.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 AM

This English rock drummer appeared in the 1964 film A Hard Day’s Night; his band dominated the pop charts for nearly a decade.

SPOILER:
Phil Collins and Ringo Starr
Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
This one doesn't work. The second "instance" was simply being called that a historical reference to the first.
Why doesn't it work? It's a question with two legitimate answers. That one was derived from the other ought not to disqualify it.
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
Old 12-13-2017, 07:10 AM

What movie ends with the destruction of the Death Star?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Who invented calculus?

Who predicted the existence and location of Neptune before it was discovered?

Who discovered oxygen?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
What Hollywood movie whose production began in 1938 featured a Southern belle during the 1850's and 1860's whose headstrong ways cost her the man she loves? The leading lady won two Oscars for Best Actress, one for her work in this film. The leading man was also an Oscar winner, though only for a different film.
Okay, the one obvious answer is Gone with the Wind, but I'm not up on 1938 non-genre movies enough to know what the other one was.
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
Old 12-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Jezebel.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Okay, the one obvious answer is Gone with the Wind, but I'm not up on 1938 non-genre movies enough to know what the other one was.
Jezebel, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. IIRC this film was proposed after GWTW (trying to capitalize on the big hoopla for that film), but released much sooner.

A big difference between Jezebel and Gone With The Wind is that the former was black-and-white. Despite this, a key plot element is the Bette Davis character wearing a red dress to the big ball, with everyone staring at her for wearing this shameful apparel!
Old 12-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Jezebel, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. IIRC this film was proposed after GWTW (trying to capitalize on the big hoopla for that film), but released much sooner.

A big difference between Jezebel and Gone With The Wind is that the former was black-and-white. Despite this, a key plot element is the Bette Davis character wearing a red dress to the big ball, with everyone staring at her for wearing this shameful apparel!
Even more ironic, in GWTW, Scarlett scandalizes the big ball by wearing a black dress (she was supposed to be in mourning and not partying).

Last edited by caligulathegod; 12-15-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember|me View Post
What is the Capital of Georgia?
During the Cold War, which Georgia native was the leader of one of the opposing superpowers for a time, and which nation did he lead?
Old 12-15-2017, 04:07 PM

When did the Defenestration of Prague take place?
Old 12-15-2017, 05:49 PM

Who received an Academy Award nomination for her 1998 portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I?
Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternvogel View Post
During the Cold War, which Georgia native was the leader of one of the opposing superpowers for a time, and which nation did he lead?
Might want to reword slightly, there were 24 years in between.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Might want to reword slightly, there were 24 years in between.
Looks okay to me. “For a time” doesn’t imply “at the same time,” to me.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Especially since the question is phrased with the expectation of one answer. You wouldn't say "Which Georgian became the leader of a superpower at the same time?".
Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 PM

Roger Taylor was the drummer for which British rock band that had a #1 hit single and several other Top 10 hits in the 1980s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearflag70 View Post
Roger Taylor was the drummer for which British rock band that had a #1 hit single and several other Top 10 hits in the 1980s?

HINT: The second letter is U and the last letter is N.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Here's one that recently occured to me:

What privately-held aerospace company, founded and run by a well-known billionaire who made his fortune in an unrelated business, is planning on launching its first manned space mission this year?
Old 02-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?
Ted Danson, John Ratzenberger , and Alex Trebek.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
What privately-held aerospace company, founded and run by a well-known billionaire who made his fortune in an unrelated business, is planning on launching its first manned space mission this year?
Hmm... this one may actually have three answers, except I'm not sure anyone still believes Richard Branson's predictions about when Virgin Galactic is going to launch a manned space mission.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:34 AM

One I actually heard: "Which European country has a land border with only one other country?"

(The question-setters were expecting Portugal or Denmark - they forgot about, ahem, the UK and the Republic of Ireland!)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
One I actually heard: "Which European country has a land border with only one other country?"

(The question-setters were expecting Portugal or Denmark - they forgot about, ahem, the UK and the Republic of Ireland!)
There's also Vatican City, Monaco and San Marino.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post

And of course if you include non-sovereign countries there's also Scotland, Wales, and debatably Cornwall.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
If you mean "on the same day or almost as the other", then it's Shakespeare and Cervantes (who's now corrected to the 22nd, apparently); that's why April 23rd is World Book Day. Who does the '10 days before' refer to?
World Book Day is on the first Thursday in March in the UK so "when is world book day?" also has at least two answers.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
With King George VI's first name, you could say Albert or George. He was also familiarly known as "Bertie".
George was never his first name, only his regnal name, and his nickname was never his first name either.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:56 AM

What movie was inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Oh, that's got lots of answers: Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest, At World's End, On Stranger Tides, and whatever the last one was called. But I'm guessing you're saying there's another?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Oh, that's got lots of answers: Curse of the Black Pearl, Dead Man's Chest, At World's End, On Stranger Tides, and whatever the last one was called. But I'm guessing you're saying there's another?
I should have phrased that better. There is another one not part of the Johnny Depp franchise of the same name.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:55 AM

A mention of a certain movie in another thread brought to mind this one:

Name a movie where Janet Leigh is alone at an out-of-the way motel with a creepy clerk.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I don't know of any other movie directly based on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, but apparently a movie was almost made called The Curse of Monkey Island. A script was written based on the video game The Secret of Monkey Island. The video game was inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and the Tim Powers novel On Stranger Tides.

I have a personal theory about what happened when the movie Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides was made, although I have no proof of it. The official story is that the producers of the films discovered the Tim Powers novel while making the second and third Pirates of the Caribbean movie and decided that it would make a good plot for a fourth movie in the series. In fact, when the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out, a lot of people noted that its plot was similar to The Secret of Monkey Island game, which came out in 1990. The creator of the game has said that he was inspired by the novel On Stranger Tides and the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. The people at LucasArts decided to make a movie from this game and hired a screenwriter named Ted Elliot. They spent some time preparing to make this film from that script, but eventually they decided not to do the movie. It was only a few years later that the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out. Ted Elliot is one of the credited screenwriters for it.

I suspect that what then happened was that representatives for LucasArts and for Tim Powers went to Disney and said that they had a clear case of copyright infringement. Disney then made an offer to compensate them if they would remain silent about what happened. Disney agreed that the fourth movie in the series would be called Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and would incorporate some plot points from the novel. Powers would thus get royalty money, his name in the credits, and his title on the movie. LucasArts (and the creators of the game) would also get royalty money. Everybody decided that it would be best to take the money and keep their mouths shut.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
I don't know of any other movie directly based on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride,...
I didn't say directly based, I said inspired by. It has nothing to do with pirates, but when you hear the answer it should make sense.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I've heard this one a lot, but it includes one questionable line. Did Teddy ever run for a third term as President? As Vice President he replaced the assassinated McKinley and ran for President in 1904. Were those therefore two terms? Not by modern usage. Roosevelt was the first VP turned President to run for re-election, though. Some people at the time did consider the period from September 1901 to March 1905 as a term but only a very few. I don't find any hits on Google Books from 1912, when Roosevelt actually did run as a candidate, for that use applied to him, although some exist from 1906.

I think junking that line improves it.

Who's the first President of the United States, in contrast, has only one answer. Any fudging on it is historically wrong.
Didn’t he also run on the "Bull Moose" ticket?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:57 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzwire View Post
Didn’t he also run on the "Bull Moose" ticket?
That was his 1912 run. Taft got the Republican nomination, so Roosevelt ran as the candidate of the Progressive Party (nicknamed "Bull Moose").
Old 03-18-2018, 05:59 PM

For cricket nuts:

Against whom did Graham Gooch score his 100th first-class century?

Last edited by Wallaby; 03-18-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 PM

What mammal lays eggs?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

That's easy: The echidna and the Easter bunny.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
What mammal lays eggs?
5 different answers, if allowed to be pedantic
Old 03-19-2018, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

What famous science fiction author graduated from Berkeley High School (in California) in 1947?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
This late 90s science fiction film features characters learning that their entire reality is a simulation.
- at least 3 I can think of, 1 mentioned earlier in this thread.
I can come up with four off the top of my head, though more would not surprise me.
SPOILER:
The Matrix, Dark City, The Thirteenth Floor, and eXistenZ. eXistenZ isn't a perfect fit, though, since the characters know they might be in a simulation; it's just that there's confusion as to what "level" they're at.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

In what Andrew Lloyd Webber composition does the song "Hosanna" appear?

Most people would say "Jesus Christ Superstar," but there's also one is his "Requiem."
Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
There is only one Punjab. It was divided into two, that’s the Part bit of Partition, and both countries then continued to call their version “Punjab”, infact India further subdivided their bit.

And while several towns share names, “Hyderabad” is rare in that both cities are large with multi- million people populations.

In play: Two countries each named for a River in Africa.
Um, I can think of at least five countries named after rivers in Africa. (Niger & Nigeria, both countries named Congo, The Gambia and probably Senegal).
Old 03-19-2018, 12:00 PM

I think the question meant two countries named for the same river, which I believe you answered correctly with Nigeria/Niger and the 2 Congos. They're a re other countries named after rivers, but they are unique country/river combos.
-IQ
Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
When did the Defenestration of Prague take place?
I guess Masaryk's death isn't usually called the "Fourth Defenestration of Prague", but it really should be.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

What 1980's American TV show included a scene with the punchline "Mickey Mouse's dog was gay?"?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
What movie was inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland?
Since no one has gotten it yet, the movies are Pirates of the Caribbean and the original Westworld. Michael Crichton was at Disneyland and saw the ride, and wondered what would happen if the animatronic characters rebelled against the guests.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:32 AM

What television sitcom character, known to his friends by his extraterrestrial nickname, was actually named Gordon?
Old 03-28-2018, 10:18 AM

What Dudley Moore movie features a seduction scene where he's interrupted when his record player starts skipping?
Old 03-28-2018, 10:21 AM
SDSAB

In what year did three Presidents of the United States each hold the office?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
What television sitcom character, known to his friends by his extraterrestrial nickname, was actually named Gordon?
As God is my witness, I thought cats were edible.