Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
... "No one present confirmed Dr. Ford's testimony." No shit. The only people present were Dr. Ford, Kavanaugh and Mark Judge. You think Judge would roll over on his bro? Not a goddamned chance any of those prep school shits would nark out ol' Pukey Bart.
PJ Smyth and Leland Keyser were both alleged to have been at the house party. Neither of them recall it. Keyser said she can't recall ever having gone to any party with Kavanaugh.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 10-06-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
...Something else upthread that was bugging me. "No one present confirmed Dr. Ford's testimony." No shit. The only people present were Dr. Ford, Kavanaugh and Mark Judge. You think Judge would roll over on his bro? Not a goddamned chance any of those prep school shits would nark out ol' Pukey Bart.
Yes, this is one of the obviously-bad arguments being used in support of Kavanaugh's supposed innocence.

Here's another:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
...And no, the claim that she told someone about it 2 years ago doesn't corroborate her story. At most it shows she's been making an unsupported claim for slightly longer, depending on whether you believe that she told the therapist about the same incident - despite the lack of names and differing details.
This is clearly nonsense. It requires the adherent to believe that the accuser 'made up' a story about an attack, so as to smear a SCOTUS nominee, two years before the attacker was nominated. In other words, it requires the adherent to believe that Christine Blasey Ford had the power of precognition---a supernatural ability to know that Trump would nominate Kavanaugh, years before that actually occurred.

In similar fashion the entire right-wing article-of-faith that Ford made it all up to smear Kavanaugh depends on an ability to ignore the fact that Ford contacted her Congressional representative (Anna Eshoo) three days before Trump announced his nomination. Again, the argument relies on a belief that Ford has supernatural powers of clairvoyance.

*Timeline: https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaug...a3867be9b.html

Last edited by Sherrerd; 10-06-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
Can Democrats actually stop the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh? The answer appears to be no. The so-called blue wave that Democrats had hoped would magically materialize and sweep elected Democrats into legislative power never appeared.
Uh....what month do you think this is, right now?

(my emphasis)
Old 10-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Mcconnell just said that there is no doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot the dems would have done what he did to garland.

Anybody believe that? What kind of signs point to that?
Now they certainly would.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Agreed. This has basically become a gloat-fest for supporters of men credibly accused of sexual assault.
I don't know how you can still say that he;s credibly accused, when every single piece of evidence that's come out since the accusation by Ford points to it never having happened. You are seriously undermining your own cause by continuing to claim this, and giving ammunition to those who would dismiss other, genuinely credible, claims. This is crying wolf, nothing more, and it will backfire.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
I'm going to have a smoke. You can look in the mirror and wonder how the Democrats failed again.
No need to wonder. Republicans stole a supreme court seat from Merrick Garland.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 10-06-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Now they certainly would.
Well, they certainly should. The first job of a politician is to win. They can have the best policies in the world, but they are useless if they're not in power.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:00 PM

And of course NOW we find out:

Quote:
Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. has received more than a dozen judicial misconduct complaints in recent weeks against Brett M. Kavanaugh, who was confirmed as a Supreme Court justice Saturday, but has chosen for the time being not to refer them to a judicial panel for investigation.

A judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit — the court on which Kavanaugh serves — passed on to Roberts a string of complaints the court received starting three weeks ago, said four people familiar with the matter.

That judge, Karen LeCraft Henderson, had dismissed other complaints against Kavanaugh as frivolous, but she concluded that some were substantive enough that they should not be handled by Kavanaugh’s fellow judges in the D.C. Circuit.

<snip>

Roberts’s decision not to immediately refer the cases to another appeals court has caused some concern in the legal community. Now that he has been confirmed, the details of the complaints may not become public and instead may be dismissed, legal experts say. Supreme Court justices are not subject to the misconduct rules governing these claims.

“If Justice Roberts sits on the complaints, then they will reside in a kind of purgatory and will never be adjudicated,” said Stephen Gillers, a professor at New York University Law School and an expert on Supreme Court ethics. “This is not how the rules anticipated the process would work.”

SOURCE: D.C. Circuit sent complaints about Kavanaugh’s testimony to Chief Justice Roberts
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 10-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
No, they didn't. The Senate, not the Republicans, declined to consider him due to his nomination being against their advice - advice the President at the time was constitutionally bound to follow, but instead ignored.

Obama shoudl have nominated whoever McConnell told him to. The legislature tell the President what to do, not the other way round.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know how you can still say that he;s credibly accused, when every single piece of evidence that's come out since the accusation by Ford points to it never having happened.
This is a false assertion -- there have been several pieces of evidence that support Ford's accusation. But we've been over and over this -- you don't think those pieces of evidence count. Fine, I'm not interested in going on and on about it with you. The Republicans got their guy. We'll see if the Democrats win either the House or Senate and actually do a full and thorough investigation, both of the sexual assault allegations and for perjury.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-06-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I certainly didn't say that. I simply pointed out that Fiveyearlurker was wrong and how. You imagined the above part.
No, I didn't imagine at all that you used examples from over a century ago to support your argument.

Quote:
No, they didn't. The Senate, not the Republicans, declined to consider him due to his nomination being against their advice - advice the President at the time was constitutionally bound to follow, but instead ignored.

Obama shoudl have nominated whoever McConnell told him to. The legislature tell the President what to do, not the other way round.
This is completely wrong in every way.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Forget it. With doorhinge, it's all smoke and mirrors.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:30 PM

NM - didn't even see the new page

Last edited by Jack Batty; 10-06-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
This is a false assertion -- there have been several pieces of evidence that support Ford's accusation.
No, there haven't. Not one. No-one remembers the party, and no-one remembers seeing Kavanaugh attack her. There is absolutely nothing, apart from her testimony, that suggests that anything like what she claims ever happened. You are trying to spin evidence that he drank, and evidence that he wrote disrespectful things about women, into corroboration of her claims. It is not. That, by the way, is not an opinion, it is an observable fact. Your bias (as so often) prevents you from seeing, and dealing with facts.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
No, there haven't. Not one. No-one remembers the party, and no-one remembers seeing Kavanaugh attack her. There is absolutely nothing, apart from her testimony, that suggests that anything like what she claims ever happened. You are trying to spin evidence that he drank, and evidence that he wrote disrespectful things about women, into corroboration of her claims. It is not. That, by the way, is not an opinion, it is an observable fact. Your bias (as so often) prevents you from seeing, and dealing with facts.
You're leaving out several facts, but I'm not interested in discussing this further with you. The Republicans won this round.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-06-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:36 PM

I'm hopeful that most Democrats are as angry as I am about this, and will stay this angry for the next month. We'll see.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
No, I didn't imagine at all that you used examples from over a century ago to support your argument. ...
You DID imagine that I said anything about wanting "to return things to how they were". I said nothing about that. I was merely pointing out Fiveyearlurker's error.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Extrajudicial

Moderating

Apparently the answer to the thread is "no".

With that I think this has run its course.

[/moderating]
Closed Thread