Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
That's not really what I said, though; I literally said that I wanted this to be a disaster and that I wanted the healthcare system and the economy collapse (at a time when this appears to be actually happening, mind you).
And I assume, of course, that you're willing to be one of those who will suffer for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Be mindful that to understand a Trump supporter's "thought process", for lack of a better term, you must abandon logic and memory. What the Lying con man says right now overrides what he said yesterday, and obliviates what preceeded it.

At this point, do you really believe he's even capable of having a "thought process"? He basically just pulls something out of his ass and hopes it sounds, "intellectual". I honestly am starting to subscribe to the theory that he's in the early stages of dementia. Or at the very least, he's on some serious drugs.
He's never made sense, but he's been worse than usual lately.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

I was talking about the so called thought process of those who defend Trump. It requires an Etch-A-Sketch like mind.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

An opinion piece by Max Boot:

The worst president. Ever.

Quote:
This fiasco [the pandemic response] is so monumental that it makes our recent failed presidents — George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter — Mount Rushmore material by comparison. Trump’s Friday night announcement that he’s firing the intelligence community inspector general who exposed his attempted extortion of Ukraine shows that he combines the ineptitude of a George W. Bush or a Carter with the corruption of Richard Nixon.

Trump is characteristically working hardest at blaming others — China, the media, governors, President Barack Obama, the Democratic impeachment managers, everyone but his golf caddie — for his blunders. His mantra is: “I don’t take responsibility at all.” It remains to be seen whether voters will buy his excuses. But whatever happens in November, Trump cannot escape the pitiless judgment of history.

Somewhere, a relieved James Buchanan must be smiling.
Yeah, I guess the only time Trump works hard is to blame others and/or brag about himself although you could argue that this comes naturally for him.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
And I assume, of course, that you're willing to be one of those who will suffer for it?
Of course I'd rather not - goes without saying. But we all gotta die of something, someday.

What I'm talking about is simple: I want ordinary people to be shocked into action. If it's already bad enough to do that, that would be great.

Problem is, last time I checked, Trump is polling well enough to win re-election.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I was talking about the so called thought process of those who defend Trump. It requires an Etch-A-Sketch like mind.
Speaking of doublethink, at today's press circus, Trump went off on a sidebar rant about how awful it was that "the previous administration" let 18,000 people die (more like 12,000, not that that's so much better) during the 2009 H1N1 outbreak, this after having spent the past several days crowing that he's done a fabulous job if we get out of this one with a mere 100,000 dead.

I'll be in my room. Don't worry about those thumps you hear; it's just me banging my head against the wall.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Speaking of doublethink, at today's press circus, Trump went off on a sidebar rant about how awful it was that "the previous administration" let 18,000 people die (more like 12,000, not that that's so much better) during the 2009 H1N1 outbreak, this after having spent the past several days crowing that he's done a fabulous job if we get out of this one with a mere 100,000 dead.
Here's CNN's fact check on that:

Fact Check: Trump baselessly disputes HHS IG report, repeats several other false claims at Monday's coronavirus briefing

Quote:
The Obama administration and H1N1

Trump slammed the Obama administration for its handling of the H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic in 2009.

"The other administration, they didn't even know -- it was like they didn't even know it was here," he said.

Facts First: It's not true that the Obama administration did not notice H1N1 or take significant action to fight the pandemic.

On April 26, 2009, less than two weeks after the first US cases of H1N1 were confirmed, the Obama administration declared a public health emergency. Two days later, the Obama administration made an initial $1.5 billion funding request to Congress. (Congress ultimately allocated $7.7 billion.) On that same day, the Food and Drug Administration approved the CDC's test; the CDC began distributing the tests domestically and internationally on May 1, 2009.

In October 2009, President Barack Obama declared a national emergency to allow hospitals more flexibility for a possible flood of H1N1 patients.

The Obama administration did face criticism over the pace of its vaccination effort, but the suggestion that the administration seemed not to notice H1N1 is unfounded.

Trump also said Monday that "17,000 people" died in the H1N1 pandemic. The CDC estimates that 12,469 people were killed by H1N1 between April 2009 and April 2010. Its estimate range is a minimum of 8,868 to a maximum of 18,306, so Trump's "17,000" figure is plausible, but it's worth noting that it's toward the high end.
So, the Obama administration took action in two weeks. Trump's admin took over two months during some of which he was calling it a hoax
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Trump is the King Midas of feces; Everything he touches turns to shit.
King Merde-as.
Old Today, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
So, the Obama administration took action in two weeks. Trump's admin took over two months during some of which he was calling it a hoax
It also took a year to get to that death toll for H1N1 (even accepting the high end figure).

Trump will get his wish and beat Obama in something. We'll see more than 18000 deaths in April 2020 alone. It's not fair to lay that entirely at Trump's feet, as we're comparing apples and oranges in terms of diseases, but it is fair to lay the 2 months of delay and the resulting unnecessary misery and suffering squarely on him.

He would be a pathetic excuse for toenail fungus, much less a human being. It also does not say a lot for us that we (collectively anyway) elected him.
Old Today, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
King Merde-as.
King Merde-ass
Old Today, 10:44 AM

I'm sure you'll be as shocked as I was to learn that Trump has a stake in a company that makes hydroxychloroquine.

Shocked!
Old Today, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
To ensure the entire crew and embarked units hears such a speech, the usual practice is to use the ship's PA system, the 1MC.
One of the news stories I listened to yesterday said specifically the 1MC was used. That it was the specific term and not just 'PA' like most of the other outlets used leads me to believe the writers knew what they were talking about and the asshole 'acting' SecNav was onboard.

I was feeling sorry for whoever it is that takes command. Stepping into a shitstorm not of their making.
Old Today, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I'm sure you'll be as shocked as I was to learn that Trump has a stake in a company that makes hydroxychloroquine.

Shocked!
This administration makes Harding's administration look squeaky clean by comparison. Even during a time of extreme crisis, they never pass up a chance to take their cut and profit at the expense of everyone else.
Old Today, 11:17 AM

Stephanie Grisham out as press secretary. Steph, we hardly knew you. In fact, we never saw you. Now she's heading over to the East Wing to be Melania's chief of staff. This begs the question, why does she need a chief of staff?
Old Today, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Shocked!
From that link:
Quote:
President Donald Trump reportedly owns a stake in a company that produces hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug he has repeatedly touted as a coronavirus treatment even though his experts say there’s no strong evidence it works.

Trump “has a small personal financial interest” in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine, The New York Times reported Monday.

In addition, Sanofi’s largest shareholders include a mutual fund company run by major Republican donor Ken Fisher, the paper said. Trump’s three family trusts, as of last year, each had investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding was Sanofi, according to the Times. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross also had ties to the drugmaker, the Times reported.

Trump’s “assertiveness” in promoting the drug contrary to the recommendation of top health experts “has raised questions about his motives,” the Times noted.
"Questions about his motives"?? There are NEVER any questions about his motives. MONEY! That rotten sonufabitch.
Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Stephanie Grisham out as press secretary. Steph, we hardly knew you. In fact, we never saw you. Now she's heading over to the East Wing to be Melania's chief of staff. This begs the question, why does she need a chief of staff?
Well, she seems to be pretty qualified for the position. She just spent eight months doing nothing. She'll just have to move her plants to a new desk.

Last edited by Jack Batty; Today at 11:28 AM.
Old Today, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
One of the news stories I listened to yesterday said specifically the 1MC was used. That it was the specific term and not just 'PA' like most of the other outlets used leads me to believe the writers knew what they were talking about and the asshole 'acting' SecNav was onboard.

I was feeling sorry for whoever it is that takes command. Stepping into a shitstorm not of their making.
Recall that Acting Secretary Modley is in that job because the prior Navy Secretary resigned a few months ago in protest over Trump's meddling in the Navy Seal war crimes case.

Modley's take-away apparently was: do whatever it takes to make Trump happy.

Asshole.
Old Today, 11:40 AM

Saw a headline (no link yet, sorry) that Trump is accusing the DHH watchdog of fabricating false paperwork regarding the outbreak.
Old Today, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Saw a headline (no link yet, sorry) that Trump is accusing the DHH watchdog of fabricating false paperwork regarding the outbreak.
And right on cue:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...t-panel-171943

Quote:
Trump removes independent watchdog for coronavirus funds, upending oversight panel

The move comes as Trump makes a broad push against inspectors general scrutinizing his actions.
I keep telling you all: there will be no oversight, no constitutional intervention. It is the people themselves who will have to fix this, and until enough people feel the consequences of Trump's behavior, nothing will change.

I am right. Everyone knows it. They just don't want to agree with me.
Old Today, 12:10 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

^There you have it, folks. The United States of America is now officially the orange republic.
Old Today, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Recall that Acting Secretary Modley is in that job because the prior Navy Secretary resigned a few months ago in protest over Trump's meddling in the Navy Seal war crimes case.

Well, he screwed that pooch, didn't he? I don't think Trump is happy about that scolding to the ship's crew getting loose on the internet.
Old Today, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I keep telling you all: there will be no oversight, no constitutional intervention. It is the people themselves who will have to fix this, and until enough people feel the consequences of Trump's behavior, nothing will change.

I am right. Everyone knows it. They just don't want to agree with me.
I agree with you to the extent I think that yes, this is going to have to be fixed by the people... I'm just really, really dreading what that's going to be like and not only the primary damage that will cause to the nation but also the amount of side-effect carnage that might be involved.
Old Today, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And now he's learning the second part of that; when you do what Trump wanted and it ends up being a mistake, you take the blame.