Old 06-08-2017, 11:28 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Face View Post
HI!

I got lost out there in the wilds, bumbled back here, found the key under the doormat and let myself back in for a spell.
Welcome back! 72 posts in 15 years, we were just talking about you in ATMB. Not you specifically, but people that are long time members with few posts.

The board had been needing more "narrow web flexo pressman"s whatever the hell that is.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:47 AM

This 6-week period between Memorial Day and July 4th represents 25 years with my now-husband (only 2+ years formally married). We met on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend 1992, and moved in together on July 1.

I don't think anyone, least of all me, would have predicted that this relationship would last. We are complete opposites in many ways, he was on the rebound from a 13-year relationship, but I was just finishing up 2 years of therapy and I was very open to taking chances. I said to myself "what's the worst thing that can happen?" and jumped in with both feet.

Earlier this year I persuaded him to visit his family in Japan by himself for once (nice people, but I get so bored). We had never been apart for so long before, and especially I had never stayed at home while he traveled before, and it was a very long two weeks. We have problems and issues like any couple does, I suppose. Growing older, even together, is no picnic; and I begin to understand what happens to the survivor of a long-term couple when the other one dies first. But I dread to think what I would have turned into if I had never met him.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:00 AM

Congratulations to you both! May you have many more happy years together.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Jesus, Mary and Joseph I joined this board in 2003... I was 23! I haven't even logged in here since 2014. Google search for dyscalculia brought up a thread from the dope and here I am. Can't believe I remembered my password. Most people probably don't even remember me since I wasn't super active.

Jesus since I joined at 23 I am now divorced for almost 10 years, moved back to Jersey (well now Delaware) from Arkansas, and produced an offspring named Delaney who is now 2.

And I'm 37. And I'm afraid to search my old threads and see what a dolt I was
Old 06-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Welcome back.

My son is graduating (with a 4.0 average, thankyouverymuch) and has a job in his chosen career field. The 27th anniversary of his arrival was Wednesday. My daughter bought her first house, and the Lovely and Talented Mrs. Shodan and I have been married for 35 years (so far). To celebrate, we are signing her up for Medicare.

The future lies bright before me, although that might just be the reflection off my bifocals.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Shodan. Sounds like you have a bright kid.

In 2008 my husband applied to graduate school for a Ph.D in clinical psychology. He applied to thirteen schools and got into one. (Not bad considering the 4% acceptance rate.) What was supposed to be a four year program turned into seven years. I stood by him while he passed his qualifying exams, earned his Masters, defended his dissertation, secured his internship, and was finally granted his Ph.D in 2015. It was the worst seven years of his life, but he fled academia, found an excellent group practice and has been truly happy as a psychotherapist working with children since we returned to Michigan.

But the process was not complete. He was only licensed to practice under expensive weekly supervision. The final step was to pass the EPPP, a day-long exam that requires a score of 500/800 to pass. He's been studying for eight months.

Yesterday, he passed with a score of 696. It's finally over. He is fully licensed and is getting a raise. I took him to Detroit today to celebrate, bought him a custom made tie with brains on it, and took him to a huge comic store because he is a giant child.

It's finally freaking over. Now we can get on with the business is the future, including preparing to adopt our first child.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Tuesday marked one year on this rock. To date it's so far, so good.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 PM

I didn't think to post it: June 23, 2017 was our 20th wedding anniversary.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Welcome back.

My son is graduating (with a 4.0 average, thankyouverymuch) and has a job in his chosen career field. The 27th anniversary of his arrival was Wednesday. My daughter bought her first house, and the Lovely and Talented Mrs. Shodan and I have been married for 35 years (so far). To celebrate, we are signing her up for Medicare.

The future lies bright before me, although that might just be the reflection off my bifocals.
Congrats (and regards, of course) to the Shodan family!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Horizon View Post
Congrats (and regards, of course) to the Shodan family!
Thanks (didn't see this until this morning).

In further news, my mother called me up yesterday all bent out of shape because someone claiming to be my son called her, saying that he was in jail and needed to be bailed out, but not to tell his parents. "It didn't sound like him, but I thought I would call you and make sure." So I attempted to reassure her, and tell her that her grandson was NOT in jail, but was at work and doing well, and so on, and so on. So then she spent the next ten minutes telling me about my father's physical therapist who yells at him (I don't wonder at that - he is as deaf as a post), and somebody or other's prostate operation, and how she found somebody's wallet with two driver's licenses, a card from the public defender's office, and $100 and she was afraid that if she turned it into the police they would keep the money, and obviously if he had a public defender he needed the money, etc., etc.

So finally I got her calmed down, and she went off to see if my father had the batteries in his hearing aids, and I hung up. And I was 99.9% positive that my son was not in jail. But not 100%.

So I called his cell, and left a message. No answer, and my son was way late coming home from work. Way late. So, of course, my wife goes into a tizzy of worry and begins to panic and starts asking what jail would he be in?

Me: "He's not in jail, for heaven's sake."

Her: "But what if he is?"

Me: "HE'S NOT IN JAIL. HE WOULD CALL US IF HE WAS IN JAIL."

Her: "What if he's dead?"

Regards,
Shodan

PS - He's not dead, and he's not in jail. He was out shopping for a new car, because his old one is dying fast. He bought a nice used Mazda with all wheel drive for snow, and got a good bargain on it.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:46 PM

Still on this mortal coil

Thanks to a message from Johnnyh L.A. I realized how long it has been since I've been on the Dope. He congraatulated me for reaching my 90th birthday last month.

All kinds of changes kept me even browsing. We decided it would be wise to move close to our kids in the Denver area, so had to sell our house in AZ, find a mover, move up here, rent an apartment while house hunting, finally buying one and doing a major remodel
Such simple things as change-of-address to 40 places took a huge amount of time, then finding doctors' and so forth.

As can't get out much, do a great deal of shopping on Amazon and what with one thing and another, just seem to be busier than I should at this stage of my life.

Also, of course, little need to General Questions as can find out anything in the world by searching online. Some f it is even true. However that takes time. No more excuses.

My wife is only 88, but in December we will celebrate our 66th wedding anniversary.

OK, folks, I'll come back and post again when I reach 100. If I don't, you will know I went to the Happy Hunting Ground.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Klondike Geoff, you have always been one of my favourite posters over many years and I do worry when you don't post for a while (not that I am a regular to check any longer). Congrats on your move and I'm sure you and your sprightly wife have another 20 years left in the creaking bones (I just wish I could be guaranteed the same!)
Old 12-20-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
My wife is only 88, but in December we will celebrate our 66th wedding anniversary.
Cradle robber!

Happy Anniversary.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:28 PM

Happy anniversary and welcome back! You didn't miss much. Oh, the Drones took over (I am writing this under their wise tutelage), bitcoins are now allowed to marry in some states, a bunch of us came out and had a fabulous party, the Martians invaded, and US currency now has fine print in Chinese, but other than that, not much.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
Happy anniversary and welcome back! You didn't miss much. Oh, the Drones took over (I am writing this under their wise tutelage), bitcoins are now allowed to marry in some states, a bunch of us came out and had a fabulous party, the Martians invaded, and US currency now has fine print in Chinese, but other than that, not much.
Hey... It's you!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
Hey... It's you!
Who, me?
Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 PM

Happy 66th Anniversary, KlondikeGeoff! And Happy belated 90th Birthday!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:23 PM

Perfect place to state that as of October 2017, Ambivalid asked me to marry him and we've been engaged ever since.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:36 PM

Woo hoo! Congrats, tvaetbjorn and Ambivalid!!
Old 03-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
Woo hoo! Congrats, tvaetbjorn and Ambivalid!!
Why thank you.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Nope! I said stop!

My youngest turns 20 today.

I no longer have teenagers.

Happy and sad at the same time.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 PM

Congrats, tvaetbjorn and Ambivalid!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:06 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Thumbs up!
Old 03-16-2018, 01:16 AM

My baby girl BloodyL and her fiance got their license today and will be married on March 19th!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:51 PM

A day late but my daughter BloodyL was married today!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:15 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Certainly not a happy milestone, but a milestone nonetheless. My last close blood relative died this week, my 97-year-old uncle in California. Not unexpected, he'd been sick for a little while and in a coma for a week. He has children and grandchildren, but I've met only a couple, and that was last century, and I would not recognize them if they walked up to me on the street, so I don't consider them close. A passel of other cousins too, across the West Coast but mostly in California, but don't know them either. I had kept in touch with my uncle, although we had not met in person since 1999. I have two aunts by marriage left -- my uncle's wife, also unseen since 1999, and another one I last saw in person in 1966.

My uncle had a good run, active almost to the end. He took his family to the Hawaiian island of Kauai in 2015 -- I was still in Thailand than -- and at the age of 95 went ziplining. The ziplining place said he was their oldest customer and had a special T-shirt made up for him. He turned 90 during a three-day Danube River cruise, and the captain hosted a party for him. Another WWII vet gone.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Rhiannon8404 and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary today.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Day late but yesterday was my 24th anniversary. Where has the time gone?
Old 05-19-2018, 01:56 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Day late but yesterday was my 24th anniversary. Where has the time gone?
Congratulations. Our 24th is coming up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
Rhiannon8404 and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary today.
And to you.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-19-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Congrats to HurricaneDitka on his new baby!

Regards,
Shodan