Old 08-17-2018, 02:54 PM

India attempts to expand health care to the poor

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-care-overhaul

Quote:
Modi, who is running for re-election, wants to fix that. His campaign includes a plan called Ayushman Bharat, or the National Health Protection Mission, which would offer the poorest half of India – more than 500 million people — health insurance to apply toward private hospitals. Each family would get more than $7,200 in annual coverage.
Granted, $7200 in coverage a year is nothing in the United states. But in India that'll probably cover a major surgery. Plus I believe India manufactures patented medications at a much lower cost, so $7200 can go a long way when it comes to expanding access to pharmaceuticals and surgery to the poor.

I'm glad to see India do this. I thought China set out to create something like a UHC system a few years ago but I'm not sure how far they got.

Also funding for this program seems very very low. Its under $2 billion, which is less than $4 a year per patient.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 08-17-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

It will be a little amusing but also a little sad if even India manages to implement universal healthcare before the US does.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:01 PM

Mexico implemented universal health care recently.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/fe...versal-health/

Pretty much every middle income or high income nation that is halfway democratic implements UHC. Except the US of course.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 08-17-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:41 PM

It is a decent initiative but remains to be seen how well it is implemented. Healthcare costs are fairly low in India, even given the greed of private hospitals for profits. My mother used to get dialysis for under $20 a session, including consumables. This rate was actually profitable for the hospital. They even used to serve her tea and light refreshments.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
It is a decent initiative but remains to be seen how well it is implemented. Healthcare costs are fairly low in India, even given the greed of private hospitals for profits. My mother used to get dialysis for under $20 a session, including consumables. This rate was actually profitable for the hospital. They even used to serve her tea and light refreshments.
I mentioned in the OP, the plan costs less than 2 billion but will cover 500 million people. That is only $4 per person per year. I'm not sure how that is going to work.

It says $7200 in coverage for a family which would go a pretty long way in India. That could cover several prescriptions and probably a surgery or two for an Indian family per year.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I mentioned in the OP, the plan costs less than 2 billion but will cover 500 million people. That is only $4 per person per year. I'm not sure how that is going to work.

It says $7200 in coverage for a family which would go a pretty long way in India. That could cover several prescriptions and probably a surgery or two for an Indian family per year.
The initial allocation will be expanded as the scheme enrols more people. At least that's how government-run schemes usually work over here.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Go India...make it work and show the US how it can be done.