Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,621
Negative aspects of marijuana

Inspired by this post/thread:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...2&postcount=36

When I was younger and experimented with marijuana, a couple of times, I became paranoid as hell. The very last time I smoked it, I literally thought I was dead and was in hell.

Is this an issue with legal marijuana? Are we going to have people walking around thinking terrible things, maybe throwing a punch at me because I asked them for directions, but they thought I was robbing them?
  #2  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Helena330's Avatar
Helena330 Helena330 is offline
Mere Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,440
No. There are a lot of different strains in our local dispensary and the staff is quite well-informed as to which does what. I suspect if you went in and told them you've reacted with extreme paranoia in the past, they'd be able to point you to a strain that would minimize it. Growing it has really become a science so buying isn't like when you buy from a guy in a parking lot. I have a friend with MS who's a fan of one particular medicinal strain. it minimizes her symptoms and leaves her clear-headed. It's been miraculous for her.
  #3  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,262
It will be madness, I tell you.... Reefer madness!
  #4  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya Inigo Montoya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 14,642
Colorado, hard to say for sure. Even the "against" cops don't blame it directly for the state's increasing crime rate. Personally I am far less inclined to exercise poor judgment under the influence of the devil's lettuce than with alcohol. In fact, I tend not to exercise much at all after blazing up. Except for what it takes to operate the TV remote. I would be uninterested in walking around in public while stoned. Data point of 1.

Also, to add to Helena's post. I think if you told the dispensary people of a strong negative reaction in the past, they would dig a bit deeper into what brought you into their shop. If you are looking for symptom management, then they'd steer you to a doctor who might send you back with a prescription for a non-intoxicating CBD oil. If you just want to get high, they would probably not sell to you, because the stuff just isn't for everyone. The big positives of legalization that I've seen are 1) you know what you're getting, and 2) the dispensary community actually has a standard of ethics that eludes liquor store owners.
  #5  
Old 08-13-2018, 06:04 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 19,855
One negative aspect is that it reeks, and people who smoke it constantly reek as well.
  #6  
Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 PM
CelticKnot CelticKnot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 2 hours from somewhere
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
One negative aspect is that it reeks, and people who smoke it constantly reek as well.
I somehow managed to graduate from college without ever being exposed to the stuff. Decades later I was working in a fabric store and my manager found a small bag stuffed between bolts of fabric. She gave the bag to me and asked me to flush it. Just holding it, I felt like someone reached inside my skull and gave my brain a spin. Ugh.
A few years later we were walking through a mall in Durango, CO and a man walked rather too close by me. I got the same dizzy sensation.
Not only do you reek, people who react badly to the stuff won't appreciate being near you.
  #7  
Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Scumpup Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 13,756
One of the biggest drawbacks to the stuff, IME, is that stoners aren't nearly as interesting as they think they are. The evangelical stoners are actually worse when they aren't stoned because they will go on at great and tedious length about weed and how wonderful it is and all the minutia of growing and using the stuff. The endless nattering about different strains bores me into a coma. They're worse than wine snobs or Hummel figurine collectors, can you dig that happy crappy?
  #8  
Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Panther Modern's Avatar
Panther Modern Panther Modern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: /home/
Posts: 259
The best stoners are the ones you would never expect are stoners.

Last edited by Panther Modern; 08-13-2018 at 08:10 PM.
  #9  
Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Lamoral Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
The very last time I smoked it, I literally thought I was dead and was in hell.
That is fucked up, it is not normal or typical in any way, and I've never heard anyone else report an experience like this, so I think you either smoked weed that was laced with something much stronger, or you experienced some sort of delirium caused by an underlying neurological issue.

There aren't any inherent drawbacks of marijuana, but there are drawbacks to excessive use of it, just as there are drawbacks to excessive use of anything. I know people who NEVER stop smoking, they torch bowl after bowl after bowl, all day every day. These individuals, while they are able to function properly, definitely have issues with being absent-minded and having poor short term memory. When I hang out with them I'm always needing to repeat things and their train of thought gets lost easily.

Now, it's not like they sit staring dumbly into space, they're mentally "present" and can be very animated and articulate in this state, but, say, they'll easily forget something that we had planned to do, and have to be reminded multiple times to do something they were supposed to do, or can't follow the plot of a movie or show. It doesn't really impede their functioning in a meaningful way, but it can be difficult to stay on topic in a conversation or stick to a goal of accomplishing some activity or other, with these people.

Still, they aren't even 1% as difficult to deal with as someone who puts away drink after drink all day long.

Edit: some of them have very highly-skilled and high-paying jobs. You have to be making bank to go through as much weed as these dudes do.

Last edited by Lamoral; 08-13-2018 at 08:11 PM.
  #10  
Old 08-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 19,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Modern View Post
The best stoners are the ones you would never expect are stoners.
I've heard Fred Rogers used to really burn one down!
  #11  
Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya Inigo Montoya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 14,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
That is fucked up, it is not normal or typical in any way, and I've never heard anyone else report an experience like this, ...
I knew one gal who had a reaction much like OP. She was certain she was dying. I'd seen a totally unhinged violent bad acid trip, it looked similar to what she was going through from where I was standing. Kept me clean for another 30 years.

And for what it's worth, there are people who use the stuff, and then there are stoners. I have about as much use for stoners as I do for anyone who makes their entire life about one aspect of their persona.
  #12  
Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 PM
Panther Modern's Avatar
Panther Modern Panther Modern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: /home/
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I've heard Fred Rogers used to really burn one down!
He was so nice, he'd bring the joints to tears.
  #13  
Old 08-13-2018, 11:41 PM
spidercat spidercat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
I smoke relatively little weed -- I get a half gram to a gram maybe twice a month, and it lasts maybe 5 days. Even though I smoke A LOT of cigarettes on top, my lungs are noticeably much more irritated when I've been been partaking in the greener stuff.

Obviously not an issue with edibles.I'm not sure about concentrates. It's enough to be annoying.
  #14  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:53 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 15,892
It doesn't work properly for me. Being stoned disrupts my thoughts and makes me feel as if I have an ever-growing backlog of things that need thinking about, but it's SO HARD. I feel as if my brain is trapped under a hot blanket and it's crawling around trying to find a way out. I can't string together coherent sentences because there are so many words, I can't choose the right ones, and anyway I forgot what ones I said already. It's not pleasant.
  #15  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:58 AM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Is this an issue with legal marijuana? Are we going to have people walking around thinking terrible things, maybe throwing a punch at me because I asked them for directions, but they thought I was robbing them?
This may surprise you, but even in states where it's not legal, people smoke all the time. Every day you probably interact with people who are high. You get punches thrown at you a lot?
  #16  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 AM
jaycat jaycat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
That is fucked up, it is not normal or typical in any way, and I've never heard anyone else report an experience like this . . .
(Raises hand) ... here to report the identical experience, though it was many years ago.
  #17  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:22 AM
Annie-Xmas Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 48,814
Probably the same risks of smoking tobacco: the smell, the money, the health risks and the fire danger.
  #18  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:22 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 29,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Growing it has really become a science so buying isn't like when you buy from a guy in a parking lot.
Heh. As a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I'm still relying on the guy in the parking lot, hallowed be his name.

I smoke daily. When people ask me about "paranoia" or other negative aspects of my drug of choice, I explain how enjoyable paranoia can be. If I'm at a park, high af, and a cop approaches me to ask where I got the hat I'm wearing, I experience some paranoia. But I enjoy it. I know that I've been smoking excellent weed, and I know that paranoia is one effect, so I go with it. I discuss my hat, where I got it, alternative brands, etc. I live for the intensity of situations like that because I know I can handle them.
  #19  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:31 AM
UltraVires UltraVires is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
This may surprise you, but even in states where it's not legal, people smoke all the time. Every day you probably interact with people who are high. You get punches thrown at you a lot?
First, this legalization question is one where I sit squarely in the middle. I am persuaded one way and then the other. I have no preconceived bias on this issue at all, except I cast a wary eye when I hear from the pro-legalization side that marijuana is nothing short of a miracle cure for all ailments and afflictions. It seems that many of those making that claim have none of these illnesses, but coincidentally I guess, smoke it recreationally.

In any event, I do realize that people break the law. People possess illegal drugs, illegal guns, etc. However, you must realize that when a thing goes from being illegal to being legal, there will be an order of magnitude more people who engage in it because most people are generally law abiding.

For example, before casino gambling was legal in this state, you could go to underground gaming parlors if you knew someone with the secret password. Today, you just drive up to a casino. A soccer mom will be unlikely to participate in the former, but will do the latter. Likewise, the soccer mom won't go to Jimmy the pot dealer in Kroger's parking lot, but might want to get loose on Friday night if she can legally buy it at the dispensary.
  #20  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 AM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,435
Sure, but comparing pot to underground gambling parlors? Come on. Over 50% of Americans have tried pot. 50%!!! It's already everywhere. Maybe legalized pot will be everywhere + 1, but I think there's enough smokers in general circulation on any given day that we can already make some informed opinions of their behavior, and they really don't seem to be causing any trouble.
  #21  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:46 AM
UltraVires UltraVires is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Sure, but comparing pot to underground gambling parlors? Come on. Over 50% of Americans have tried pot. 50%!!! It's already everywhere. Maybe legalized pot will be everywhere + 1, but I think there's enough smokers in general circulation on any given day that we can already make some informed opinions of their behavior, and they really don't seem to be causing any trouble.
I think you overestimate the number of regular pot smokers. I would be in that 50% you stated, but I am not part of the market today. If it was legal and I could be convinced that no more paranoia would happen, I might possibly consume it again.

But your conclusion does not follow from the premise. Just because X number of people have at one time in their entire lives tried marijuana, does not mean that it is "everywhere." I'm sure we could do a poll on how many people have "tried" liver and onions when their grandma made them eat it as a kid. That number does not represent current liver and onions consumers.
  #22  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 AM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I think you overestimate the number of regular pot smokers. I would be in that 50% you stated, but I am not part of the market today. If it was legal and I could be convinced that no more paranoia would happen, I might possibly consume it again.

But your conclusion does not follow from the premise. Just because X number of people have at one time in their entire lives tried marijuana, does not mean that it is "everywhere." I'm sure we could do a poll on how many people have "tried" liver and onions when their grandma made them eat it as a kid. That number does not represent current liver and onions consumers.
Find some data then. Here's some, Colorado has 21.6% used in the last year, Massachussets has 17.6%. Where's the threshold where you think reefer madness will become apparent?
  #23  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Scumpup Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 13,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Heh. As a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I'm still relying on the guy in the parking lot, hallowed be his name.

I smoke daily. When people ask me about "paranoia" or other negative aspects of my drug of choice, I explain how enjoyable paranoia can be. If I'm at a park, high af, and a cop approaches me to ask where I got the hat I'm wearing, I experience some paranoia. But I enjoy it. I know that I've been smoking excellent weed, and I know that paranoia is one effect, so I go with it. I discuss my hat, where I got it, alternative brands, etc. I live for the intensity of situations like that because I know I can handle them.
I would be surprised if you could find many cops in Pennsylvania who would arrest you simply for being high alone. Still, enjoy the "intensity."
  #24  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,420
I too have felt the 'dead and insane' effect of being high. Now I also had lots of positive experiences too, but at least one time in four I'd get paranoid. All that was well over 30 years ago. Now I don't use it anymore.

Note that while growers push strains that they claim have specific effects, those claims are very anecdotal. No matter what strain you smoke, you will get at least 100, and possibly as many as 300 different types of cannabinoid and other psychoactive molecules, most of which have never been closely examined for their specific effects on humans. It is definitely a 'shotgun' type of drug, and one strain that works one way for one individual may have very different effects on another.

So take all advice on pot with a grain of salt. There are many unknowns, and just as many unknown unknowns about what's in it, and how it works precisely, etc.

Note that I don't oppose legalization. But people need to realize that many claims made about pot are not based on objective scientific study. You pays your money and you takes your chances with it, just like so many other things in life.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 08-14-2018 at 11:03 AM.
  #25  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 AM
UltraVires UltraVires is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,621
Right. I'm not saying it is Reefer Madness. Many times all was right with the world. I'm just saying that there are negative things as well.

Also, a few times I had the "left-right" reversal. Anyone know what I mean? What's up with that craziness?
  #26  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 29,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
I would be surprised if you could find many cops in Pennsylvania who would arrest you simply for being high alone. Still, enjoy the "intensity."
Oh, I realize that. Still, having grown up in an environment where the police were feared, I get a little increase in heart-rate when I see a dude in blue. Indeed, I've been sitting around at a party smoking with a group of "new friends" only to find out that one of the group is a cop. Old habits die hard.
  #27  
Old 08-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Plumpudding Plumpudding is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,426
In can also contribute to psychotic episodes in the user, especially if the user has a problem already. It highly depends on the person and their chemistry. I'm one of those that have to stay clear of marijuana, as I had a psychotic episode that was likely exacerbated by sustained heavy use. That shit can put you completely out of business mentally for a year or more. The few times I've tried it since I've gotten symptoms as described in the OP, once to the point of believing I'd lost all my memories.

In The Netherlands there's near consensus among mental health professionals that there's a link between rising issues with mental health and legalization of marijuana. The incredibly shitty in-patient mental health clinics doesn't help, of course.

For people who doesn't have that problem, I find excessive use makes most of them incredibly tedious and boring people to be around. "Does anyone have papes?! Papes, anyone?!"

I'm not against legalization, btw. Criminalization doesn't seem to help anyone.
  #28  
Old 08-14-2018, 12:24 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 29,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Also, a few times I had the "left-right" reversal. Anyone know what I mean? What's up with that craziness?
You mean when you look in a mirror, raise your left hand, but your mirror image raises his/her right hand?

Man, that's good weed!
  #29  
Old 08-14-2018, 01:47 PM
MichaelEmouse MichaelEmouse is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I'm just saying that there are negative things as well.
Sure, there are pitfalls and it's not for everyone. Some people just aren't compatible with it and that doesn't need to reflect badly on them. There are plenty of activities which are great for some but a bad idea for others like bungee jumping or nightclubs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post

When I was younger and experimented with marijuana, a couple of times, I became paranoid as hell. The very last time I smoked it, I literally thought I was dead and was in hell.

Is this an issue with legal marijuana? Are we going to have people walking around thinking terrible things, maybe throwing a punch at me because I asked them for directions, but they thought I was robbing them?
When you were paranoid as hell, how did you react? How likely were you to punch someone?


Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
A soccer mom will be unlikely to participate in the former, but will do the latter. Likewise, the soccer mom won't go to Jimmy the pot dealer in Kroger's parking lot, but might want to get loose on Friday night if she can legally buy it at the dispensary.
Right now, that soccer mom gets loose on Friday night by drinking alcohol or taking benzos, both of which are worse for most people than pot.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I too have felt the 'dead and insane' effect of being high.
I know you're dubious of theories about the human mind but what do you think causes that effect?

I do worry about a certain percentage of the population which has difficulty handling just about anything and may now increase their consumption of pot. I suppose it might help to lower the bar at which people can be considered unfit to make decisions for themselves and can be treated as legal minors.
  #30  
Old 08-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Scumpup Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 13,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Oh, I realize that. Still, having grown up in an environment where the police were feared, I get a little increase in heart-rate when I see a dude in blue. Indeed, I've been sitting around at a party smoking with a group of "new friends" only to find out that one of the group is a cop. Old habits die hard.
That I understand completely.
  #31  
Old 08-14-2018, 04:36 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Sure, there are pitfalls and it's not for everyone. Some people just aren't compatible with it and that doesn't need to reflect badly on them. There are plenty of activities which are great for some but a bad idea for others like bungee jumping or nightclubs.
My issue is that the pitfalls are never discussed in these type of debates. For the debates, we get the side that states it is a wonder drug, or we get stodgy old bastards like Jeff Sessions criticizing it. I've never seen an acknowledgement about this paranoia in any major news source.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
When you were paranoid as hell, how did you react? How likely were you to punch someone?
Not at all. I was fighting to figure out what was real and what I was imagining.




Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Right now, that soccer mom gets loose on Friday night by drinking alcohol or taking benzos, both of which are worse for most people than pot.
Some do. That's a pretty broad brush there. Some read a book and go to bed.

But I agree with you. I don't think that a person's type of poison in a free country should be illegal unless there is good reason for it. And since we already tried alcohol prohibition and it didn't work, we aren't debating that again. We are debating a change in status for marijuana.

I think it is only fair that the entire picture be presented. I'm a first hand witness (and it seems others in this thread are as well) that it is not all wonderful. The last time I smoked, I would not wish that experience on my worst enemy. Ever.
  #32  
Old 08-14-2018, 04:37 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil's Avatar
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 17,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Heh. As a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I'm still relying on the guy in the parking lot, hallowed be his name.

I smoke daily. When people ask me about "paranoia" or other negative aspects of my drug of choice, I explain how enjoyable paranoia can be. If I'm at a park, high af, and a cop approaches me to ask where I got the hat I'm wearing, I experience some paranoia. But I enjoy it. I know that I've been smoking excellent weed, and I know that paranoia is one effect, so I go with it. I discuss my hat, where I got it, alternative brands, etc. I live for the intensity of situations like that because I know I can handle them.
This strikes me as very Hunter Thompson-esue...in a good way.
__________________
Posting From Above The Browns
  #33  
Old 08-14-2018, 04:51 PM
Plumpudding Plumpudding is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I do worry about a certain percentage of the population which has difficulty handling just about anything and may now increase their consumption of pot. I suppose it might help to lower the bar at which people can be considered unfit to make decisions for themselves and can be treated as legal minors.
Ehh... I'm not sure exactly what you want to say here, but my first reaction reading it was to tell you to fuck off.

How about rather than making more people powerless, we try to strengthen how they are dealt with after they find out they can't handle "just about anything" and try to get them self-sufficient again?
  #34  
Old 08-14-2018, 05:45 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10,701
My observation as an outsider is that heavy "recreational" marijuana use keeps people immature more than any other drug. This doesn't seem to happen to people who use it for medicinal reasons, although those people are more likely to start using it at older ages, and may not enjoy the high they get from it.

I also feel that growing weed for one's own use is no different from making your own beer or wine. We all know that millions of people out there should not have beer or wine; millions of them (and there's a lot of overlap) shouldn't use marijuana either.
  #35  
Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
My observation as an outsider is that heavy "recreational" marijuana use keeps people immature more than any other drug. This doesn't seem to happen to people who use it for medicinal reasons, although those people are more likely to start using it at older ages, and may not enjoy the high they get from it.

I also feel that growing weed for one's own use is no different from making your own beer or wine. We all know that millions of people out there should not have beer or wine; millions of them (and there's a lot of overlap) shouldn't use marijuana either.
Is this correlation or causation? IOW, do the immature people have no qualms with breaking the law and smoking marijuana, or does smoking marijuana contribute to the immaturity?

IOW, if legal, would doctors, engineers, and scientists stop off at the local weed shop and toke a few on the way home, or would they largely not change their habits in any event?
  #36  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Panther Modern's Avatar
Panther Modern Panther Modern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: /home/
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
(Raises hand) ... here to report the identical experience, though it was many years ago.
You also felt like you were in Hell? You must've been smoking the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Heh. As a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I'm still relying on the guy in the parking lot, hallowed be his name.

I smoke daily. When people ask me about "paranoia" or other negative aspects of my drug of choice, I explain how enjoyable paranoia can be. If I'm at a park, high af, and a cop approaches me to ask where I got the hat I'm wearing, I experience some paranoia. But I enjoy it. I know that I've been smoking excellent weed, and I know that paranoia is one effect, so I go with it. I discuss my hat, where I got it, alternative brands, etc. I live for the intensity of situations like that because I know I can handle them.
I admire your ability to make the liability of paranoia and make it advantage. I enjoy the stuff as much as the next person, but, sometimes, it triggers my anxiety, and that's not fun. :/
  #37  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:25 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,163
My problem with smoking weed (which, full disclosure, I've never done) is not the weed per se but the smoking. Regardless of how benign THC is, compared to nicotine, you're still inhaling superheated toxic gasses. I've brought this up before, and other Dopers (heh) have cited studies showing that marijuana smoke is less toxic than tobacco; but no one's ever shown me a study that says smoking weed is less toxic than not smoking anything at all. Plus, you've got all the same issues of second-hand smoke and annoying people around you with the smell.

Obviously, I have less concern about edibles. But I like my smoke-free restaurants, theaters, and airlines, and would hate to see us revert to a nation of puffers.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 08-14-2018 at 10:27 PM.
  #38  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:01 PM
What Exit?'s Avatar
What Exit? What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 28,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
My problem with smoking weed (which, full disclosure, I've never done) is not the weed per se but the smoking. Regardless of how benign THC is, compared to nicotine, you're still inhaling superheated toxic gasses. I've brought this up before, and other Dopers (heh) have cited studies showing that marijuana smoke is less toxic than tobacco; but no one's ever shown me a study that says smoking weed is less toxic than not smoking anything at all. Plus, you've got all the same issues of second-hand smoke and annoying people around you with the smell.

Obviously, I have less concern about edibles. But I like my smoke-free restaurants, theaters, and airlines, and would hate to see us revert to a nation of puffers.
I don't think you'll see smoke free areas allowing pot smoking. That hasn't happened in the states that have legalized it.



As to the hazards of the smoke, keep in mind that very few people smoke pot the way they smoke cigarettes. The intake of smoke is much lower in most cases. Yes, I know there are exception, but there were people that smoked 4 packs a day also.
  #39  
Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 PM
Mr. Bill Mr. Bill is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
That is fucked up, it is not normal or typical in any way, and I've never heard anyone else report an experience like this, so I think you either smoked weed that was laced with something much strongers...
This seems likely to me.

When I was a teenager, I was unable to get high. No matter how much pot I smoked with my friends, I never felt the slightest effect, even though the folks I was smoking with were utterly stoned.

Then, during my freshman college year, my roommate got some pot from a connection in Long Island and we smoked some before going to a jazz concert (Oregon/Gary Burton if you're interested). About a half an hour into the concert, I realized that I was SEEING the music as beautiful, flowing colors.

My roommate also had an atypical response to the pot. We figured that it had been laced with something, probably PCP, which was popular at the time.

After that experience, I could get high, but it was never like that first time. Really more of a downer than anything else.
  #40  
Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 26,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I know you're dubious of theories about the human mind but what do you think causes that effect?
No idea. The workings of the human mind are very poorly understood and most models have little actual scientific evidence behind them. It's just one of those brain things, I guess. It is a commonly reported experience.
  #41  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:10 AM
EmilyG EmilyG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,353
I have a slightly irregular heartbeat sometimes - nothing dangerous, a few doctors have told me. But weed aggravates that, so I stay away from weed. But for people who want to use it and don't have medical issues like that, I don't mind.
  #42  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 27,089
My main objection to legal weed is the smoking - on general principal, inhaling smoke of any kind is not good for you and given that I have asthma I really, really don't want to inhale anyone's second-hand smoke. But we more or less hashed that out with tobacco and I see no reason to change the current rules regardless of whether what's smoked is tobacco, marijuana, or anything else.

I'm not really interested in trying pot, but if I did, I think I'd be more inclined towards edibles simply because I don't want to **** up my lungs.
  #43  
Old 08-15-2018, 09:11 AM
CrimeThink CrimeThink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 226
Most people that I know who still smoke use oil concentrates with a vape pen. I can't smell it even when I am sitting 5 feet away from them. I imagine it's better for the lungs than traditional methods.
  #44  
Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Scumpup Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 13,756
I know a fair few people who still smoke the stuff. Many users I know, though, have switched to devices like the Iolite Vaporizer. They prefer inhaled forms rather than consumable forms for the quicker high. Devices like the Iolite require nothing special in terms of weed. The herb is just ground up and loaded into the heating chamber.
  #45  
Old 08-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Section Maker:Jupe Section Maker:Jupe is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I too have felt the 'dead and insane' effect of being high. Now I also had lots of positive experiences too, but at least one time in four I'd get paranoid. All that was well over 30 years ago. Now I don't use it anymore.

Note that while growers push strains that they claim have specific effects, those claims are very anecdotal. No matter what strain you smoke, you will get at least 100, and possibly as many as 300 different types of cannabinoid and other psychoactive molecules, most of which have never been closely examined for their specific effects on humans. It is definitely a 'shotgun' type of drug, and one strain that works one way for one individual may have very different effects on another.

So take all advice on pot with a grain of salt. There are many unknowns, and just as many unknown unknowns about what's in it, and how it works precisely, etc.

Note that I don't oppose legalization. But people need to realize that many claims made about pot are not based on objective scientific study. You pays your money and you takes your chances with it, just like so many other things in life.

I agree. I also think that with the user base expanding, and the breeders and people who make new products, we will probably see more good discoveries, for peoples health and well being etc, but also we will see its bad side, where an "overdose" causes problems, or finding that daily use in young people can really fry some circuits etc.

I never thought I would have a panic attack off weed, but when it happened to me,due to an edible mistake, (my fault) I realized, "oh THIS is why people can have problems". Prior to that, for 40 or so years, well, lots of consumption but never had that happen before.

I was a long time user 24/7/365, but the strains we had access to were very weak, so it was more like drinking a bit of tea, getting a bit of energy, then back to work or sport.
My metabolism has changed, I think, so now it seems to affect me differently, I dont really like it anymore.
  #46  
Old 08-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Lamoral Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
This seems likely to me.

When I was a teenager, I was unable to get high. No matter how much pot I smoked with my friends, I never felt the slightest effect, even though the folks I was smoking with were utterly stoned.

Then, during my freshman college year, my roommate got some pot from a connection in Long Island and we smoked some before going to a jazz concert (Oregon/Gary Burton if you're interested). About a half an hour into the concert, I realized that I was SEEING the music as beautiful, flowing colors.

My roommate also had an atypical response to the pot. We figured that it had been laced with something, probably PCP, which was popular at the time.

After that experience, I could get high, but it was never like that first time. Really more of a downer than anything else.
I think it was just because Gary Burton is the man.
  #47  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 PM
Mr. Bill Mr. Bill is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I think it was just because Gary Burton is the man.
I won't argue with that, although I am a bigger fan of Ralph Towner.

This concert was not too long after their duo album, so they did a third set of only Burton/Towner. It was a great concert, even without the chemical enhancements.
  #48  
Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I don't think you'll see smoke free areas allowing pot smoking. That hasn't happened in the states that have legalized it.



As to the hazards of the smoke, keep in mind that very few people smoke pot the way they smoke cigarettes. The intake of smoke is much lower in most cases. Yes, I know there are exception, but there were people that smoked 4 packs a day also.
You have a point. But I'm old enough to remember widespread public smoking, when every bus stop, gas station, and street corner reeked of stale cigarettes. I don't get that anymore. But I do smell weed at least once or twice a day. And I live in a state where it's still illegal. Makes me think that the wafting aroma of skunk will only get more pervasive, if we ever legalize it.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 08-16-2018 at 07:50 AM.
  #49  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya Inigo Montoya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 14,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Makes me think that the wafting aroma of skunk will only get more pervasive, if we ever legalize it.
Denver: hasn't so far. Sure every now and then, but you still encounter it nowhere near as frequently as tobacco or...whatever it is the fogbank vapers are doing.

(Man, I can remember when people could smoke on airplanes. Unthinkable today.)
__________________
Y'all are just too damned serious. Lighten up.
  #50  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Mama Zappa Mama Zappa is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
My problem with smoking weed (which, full disclosure, I've never done) is not the weed per se but the smoking. Regardless of how benign THC is, compared to nicotine, you're still inhaling superheated toxic gasses. I've brought this up before, and other Dopers (heh) have cited studies showing that marijuana smoke is less toxic than tobacco; but no one's ever shown me a study that says smoking weed is less toxic than not smoking anything at all. Plus, you've got all the same issues of second-hand smoke and annoying people around you with the smell.

Obviously, I have less concern about edibles. But I like my smoke-free restaurants, theaters, and airlines, and would hate to see us revert to a nation of puffers.
Heh - same here on pretty much all counts. As an asthmatic, I've never even been tempted (plus I didn't hang out with that crowd, being as socially inept as they come).

I have long argued that all else being equal, smoking maijiuana can't be any worse than tobacco - BUT there are differences in how they're used:

- Most people who smoke cigarettes are lighting 'em up 20-40-60 times a day whereas most MJ smokers (I assume!!!!) use far less than that -so there's a matter of total exposure (3 joints at night vs 20 cigarettes = less overall smoke).
- On the other hand, tobacco cigarettes are *usually* filtered, and joints are usually not.....
- And commericially-produced cigarettes have all sorts of other nasty chemicals added to affect their burning, taste, etc. whereas wacky tabacky does not (as far as I understand).

I am concerned over the correlation between MJ use and development of other mental illnesses. Whether it's causative, or a symptom of someone self-medicating for early symptoms, it's not good.

Aside from that, the negative aspects I can cite are:
- Employment (many employers forbid using it even in places where it's legal; mine is one such)
- The law - if it's not legal where you are, or the Feds decide to override the locality and enforce Federal law, you're at a legal risk you would not be in if you were having a drink or two.
- Whatever degree of dependency you might develop: I know it's not addictive in the same way as, say, opiates, but there are certainly people whose use of it sure looks like dependency.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017