Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
I have long argued that all else being equal, smoking maijiuana can't be any worse than tobacco - BUT there are differences in how they're used:

- Most people who smoke cigarettes are lighting 'em up 20-40-60 times a day whereas most MJ smokers (I assume!!!!) use far less than that -so there's a matter of total exposure (3 joints at night vs 20 cigarettes = less overall smoke).
- On the other hand, tobacco cigarettes are *usually* filtered, and joints are usually not.....
- And commericially-produced cigarettes have all sorts of other nasty chemicals added to affect their burning, taste, etc. whereas wacky tabacky does not (as far as I understand).
The manner in which marijuana is smoked differs, though. The traditional method that - er, I heard about - was to take a toke, draw it way deep, and then hold it for several seconds to get the maximum absorption. So the smoke is going to be in contact with the lungs for much longer per joint as compared to per cigarette. Obviously that would be less of a factor with vaping, or the marijuana equivalent.

I still think they should make the stuff legal at the federal level, and let the states decide. People want to get toasted. If you're an adult and you don't drive, knock yourself out.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 PM

This isn't a health thing, but I don't really like the smell of marijuana. If someone's smoking it outside, okay, whatever, but if someone smokes it and then gets on a bus and I board the bus, the whole bus reeks. It's a bit of an annoyance for me, but worse for those who dislike the smell even more.
Though I think McDonald's food is also stinky and capable of smelling up a whole bus, so maybe I'm just too sensitive to certain smells.

Last edited by EmilyG; 08-16-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
This isn't a health thing, but I don't really like the smell of marijuana. If someone's smoking it outside, okay, whatever, but if someone smokes it and then gets on a bus and I board the bus, the whole bus reeks. It's a bit of an annoyance for me, but worse for those who dislike the smell even more.
Though I think McDonald's food is also stinky and capable of smelling up a whole bus, so maybe I'm just too sensitive to certain smells.
Taking the subway during the Jazz festival must fun for you.

There will probably need to be an improvement in the way people typically consume it. Vaporizing and edibles will gain in popularity so the smell won't be as bad.

Am I the only one who often enjoys the smell of smoked pot? There have been times I disliked the smell and other times I found it quite pleasant whether or not I took part. I'm not sure what could have caused that difference.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Vaporizing and edibles will gain in popularity so the smell won't be as bad.

Am I the only one who often enjoys the smell of smoked pot? There have been times I disliked the smell and other times I found it quite pleasant whether or not I took part. I'm not sure what could have caused that difference.
OpenVape pen. Easily-controlled dosage, no messy setup, no stinky apparatus in your pocket. Couple deep breaths afterward to clear the old lungs and you're totes discreet. Munch an Altoid if you're really concerned. Edibles...take practice. I don't mind the smell of burning weed under the right conditions, but as an adult I rarely find myself in the right conditions. There's an unopened gram in the safe I've had since December.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
The difference is likely due simply to the strain of MJ being smoked. They can vary wildly in strength and quality of scent. I've experienced strains that smell strongly of skunk; strains that have barely any skunk smell, but strong undertones of citrus, berry or other fruits; strains that smell of chocolate; ditch weed that smells like burning rubber (this was before burning it). If you're an individual who is sensitive to scents in general, it's likely that your experiences of it smelling great are due to someone smoking some REALLY good shit.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:13 AM

I think stoners are too wrapped up in the idea of different strains of marijuana. Yes, there are such things. No, if you didn't grow it yourself from known cultivars, you really don't have any fucking idea what it is. There is so little actual research on the topic, that I discount anything stoners say that includes the word "strain."
Old 08-17-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Denver: hasn't so far. Sure every now and then, but you still encounter it nowhere near as frequently as tobacco or...whatever it is the fogbank vapers are doing.

(Man, I can remember when people could smoke on airplanes. Unthinkable today.)
An evening walk through Hollywood smells of pot and stale piss; in Koreatown, it's barbecue and cigarettes.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:18 PM

I live in Colorado. There are not stoners hanging out all over the place. The law is that you don't smoke it in public. Sure you see it and smell it being consumed in public every so often, but it's not out of control...well except at Dead & Company concerts.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivekiller View Post
An evening walk through Hollywood smells of pot and stale piss; in Koreatown, it's barbecue and cigarettes.
I thought nobody walked in LA.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I thought nobody walked in LA.
Sometimes it's faster to walk next door than deal with traffic.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:53 PM

Re: smoke inhalation. I think the comparison to cigarettes is more like a pack a day of one vs maybe 1/4 of a joint of the other. Really, a little dab'll do ya.

Pot smoke contains aromatic hydrocarbons, a carcinogen. OTOH, I have read studies that suggest smoking pot actually suppresses lung cancer such that, yes, it is better that smoking nothing at all. It isn't clear if it suppresses all cancer though. Sorry I can't cite these studies at this time, I think they were in the journal Analytic Chemistry.

The main downside? It makes a person intoxicated. A stoned person really shouldn't drive. Saying and doing foolish things can limit one's social viability. With a little common sense I don't think the downsides are all that serious for most people, but I also think many don't fully respect the fact that smoking pot is, yes, taking drugs.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya View Post
i thought nobody walked in la.
iswydt
Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 PM

In my experience people who have bad experiences are very structured people and the sudden feeling of loss of control is very frightening. Also insecure people think everyone is watching them and syke themselves out. Or the first time they try it is when they are drunk. Mixing alcohol and cannabis is like multiplying the intoxication 3fold.

To the poster who said they tried it a bunch of times but only got high once, thats b/c you where smoking wrong the other times. I know its hard to believe that smoking be complicated but I've never seen a first timer get it without a little coaching. I always would say if your not coughing your not doing it right, virgin lungs will always become agitated. If you breathe in you should feel the air rushing over your tongue that is how you inhale correctly (ahem mr. Clinton).

As to the perversity of smoking a lot of the older generation are completely fooling themselves. It already is everywhere. In food buisness, hotel, construction, delivery drivers I agree at least half of these people are smoking daily. The issue is everyone wants to compare it to alcohol, the last generation drank and drove and killed so many people they ruined it for everyone else. Smoking makes you a safer driver and a better worker at these meanial jobs because you are enjoying yourself. Those that havent tried cannot accurately assess the difference in intoxication and wont believe that but to anymore who is a seasoned blade they will agree.

I could go on and on but I want to say two more things. The reason why I enjoy it is that it gives you the imagination of a child a toke on a sunny summer day then taking a walk is magical. Its this imagination that makes people scared and paranoid you just need to remember like any drug dont fight feelings just experience it and move on which is as easy as thinking of something else or having some stimuli like music.

Finally to answer the OP's question, nothing, in moderation. In excess the short answer dont become an introvert and cannabis isnt a party drug so if you do it and go out in public paranoia comes with the territory.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

A relevant article from The Atlantic.

I know a person who felt they were smoking too much but had a very hard time cutting down.

It seems like the pendulum has swung from "Take just one hit and you will go insane" to "Pot is as harmless and beneficial as broccoli." Pot is an intoxicant. It's a relatively benign intoxicant, but it isn't harmless. The war on drugs is a disaster and weed should be legal, but the hype among the pro pot types is ridiculous. If you enjoy it in moderation, fine, but be aware that all you are doing is indulging in intoxication. (Medical uses to one side of course.)