View Poll Results: Do you have at least one valid passport?
Yes 250 83.33%
No 50 16.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2020, 03:48 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Yes and have for decades. But then I lived for decades in Thailand and expect to live there again. I even had two passports at one time -- my personal passport and my State Department passport issued to all Peace Corps Volunteers. One of my passports became as thick as a phone book back when embassies would still add extra pages, from all my wandering around Asia filing it up with stamps.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Yes and have for decades. But then I lived for decades in Thailand and expect to live there again. I even had two passports at one time -- my personal passport and my State Department passport issued to all Peace Corps Volunteers. One of my passports became as thick as a phone book back when embassies would still add extra pages, from all my wandering around Asia filing it up with stamps.
Sorry, what is this "phone book" of which you speak??

Just kidding.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:21 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Sorry, what is this "phone book" of which you speak??

Just kidding.
It was this thing they used to beat suspects with to get them to confess, back before all the namby-pamby civil rights pansies.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:22 PM

I don't. Mine expired this Spring and I only ever used it to travel to Canada once. Probably will renew it before this fall since I don't have a real-ID drivers license.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:59 PM

I guess I must have had eight of them, they used to be good for only five years. Every one I had was used for travel
Old 05-21-2020, 01:20 AM

Mine expires at the end of the month. I was thinking about renewing it but then the lockdown hit. Look at what the State Dept. webpage has said for the past 2 months:

If you apply or renew now, you will experience significant delays of several months to receive your U.S. passport and the return of your citizenship evidence documents (such as birth certificates or naturalization certificates). Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to apply for or renew your passport.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ort/renew.html

Last edited by gkster; 05-21-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:41 AM

I have had one since I was nine. My parents got one for me when my family traveled to the Soviet Union, and decided to renew it when it came up for expiration five years later, because "You never know" (the Reagan years). I did end up traveling on that one too, because I went to Israel and when I was a kid, and back to Europe when I had just finished high school. My parents renewed the next one for me as well, even though I was an adult (which is to say, walked me through the process, and paid for it) but I never used that one. Didn't travel internationally again for a long time until I went to a wedding in Hungary in my 30s. In my late 40s, I went to a cousin's wedding in Greece (her mother was Greek). Then in my 50s, I went both Israel and Costa Rica. The Israel trip was an opportunity to travel for teacher education, that came kind of out of the blue. There was probably plenty of time to get a passport had I not already had one, but it was nice to have one at the ready.

There have been many times besides international travel that I was really glad to have had a passport. When I lost my driver's license, and needed ID to get it renewed, for example. For a brief period when bars were asking for two picture IDs from people who "appeared under 30," and people who did not have a student ID or military ID were sort of scrambling. It was a college town, and most people genuinely under 30 did, in fact, have a student ID, but people who were 34 and getting asked for a second ID (me) were having to use a passport, if we had one. Once my husband joined the army, I had a military spouse ID, but to get that, I needed to picture IDs, even. So I needed the passport for that.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:24 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I just changed our vacation plans from this Sept to Sept 2021, and it prompted me to check my passport - it expires in Aug 2021. Looks like I'll be renewing about this time next year.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:28 AM

Mine expired in May, 2019. I started to renew it then got hung up on what color to call my hair. Brown? Gray? Blonde? Seriously, no idea.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Easy for MOST people... but anyone who has ever had a name change, ever, for any reason, MIGHT have trouble (yes, that does include most married women). While I was getting mine sorted out I ran into several other people who had trouble - divorcees, adoptees, and one young man who's family, for whatever reasons, had referred to him all his life by a name different than what appeared on his birth certificate meaning ALL his records aside from his birth certificate where in one name ... but not the name for his RealID. And once you start the process you can't back out and get a normal ID.

As I said - for MOST people this is trivial. For some people, however, it is not. Be sure you have all your documents before you start (or you might wind up without a valid ID until you get it sorted out). All changes of name since your birth, including adoption, marriage(s), divorce(s), or just "I want to change my name for X reason". You will need every single one.

In addition, people without a middle name, or people with more than one middle name, or with hyphenated names, may also have trouble.
Things have changed since 1964 when I got my first passport. My name on my actual birth certificated is not the name I have used all my life including school registration. So when I got my first passport in 1964 my parents had to swear that they knew me under both names and I was one and the same person. Suppose one or both of them had been dead? Then there would have no other person in the entire world who knew me under both names. Since then I have had passports continuously and the question has not arisen. I recently added a Canadian passport. They both expire in the late 20s, maybe after I do.

The reason for for the name change was that my father was looking for a job in the late 1930s and thought that maybe having a less Jewish sounding name would help. It didn't. The job he eventually found was with my mother's uncle so it didn't matter at all. But by then, the name was set in stone. BTW, I have no middle name. Neither did either of my parents. But that never caused any problem. Although when I registered for the draft, the secretary at the draft board told me that when (not if) I was drafted I should add a middle name because my name was too common. I guess it is common; there are three other people with Wiki pages and the same first and last name as mine, but they all have middle names.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I just changed our vacation plans from this Sept to Sept 2021, and it prompted me to check my passport - it expires in Aug 2021. Looks like I'll be renewing about this time next year.
You could go ahead and renew it now. There's no rule about when you have to wait until. When I moved back to Thailand, I still had two or three years on my passport but decided to renew it from here just so I would start with a fresh 10 years. No problem.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
You could go ahead and renew it now.
The State Department website says not to renew right now:
If you apply or renew now, you will experience significant delays of several months to receive your U.S. passport and the return of your citizenship evidence documents (such as birth certificates or naturalization certificates). Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to apply for or renew your passport.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:47 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkster View Post
The State Department website says not to renew right now:
Thanks. That's good to know, as mine expires in two years. As a rule (except for that one time I mentioned), I generally renew my passport one year ahead of expiry. Hopefully things will have settled down by next May.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:14 AM

I remember my first one, 1963, issued by the US Consulate in Montreal. B/W photo glued in with raised stamp, valid for 3 years, could be renewed for two more. I once had to get a new one in Laos in 1996, and the enbassy was still using the same old 1963 stock of passport books, which was camp.

In the 60's and 70's, the passports still had a list of countries Americans were not allowed to go to. Cuba, North Korea, North Vietnam, Albania, Rhodesia..
Old 05-22-2020, 12:23 AM

Two valid passports, Australia and the US, both valid for a good long time.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenman
Your poll is broken, because I have two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Likewise. Both valid.
Likewise. Both legal.
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain