Old 05-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Can we increase the edit period (temporarily)

We have a five minute period to edit out posts so we can correct in case of formatring errors, or if we miss out a vital word or two. Up until now, that has been a reasonable amount of time. But with all the timeouts and server errors lately, I think it is no longer long enough. It can sometimes take several minutes before a post is even visible, by which time the period may have expired.

Could we please, as a temporary measure, increase the time allowed for editing? I think it should be extended to 15 minutes, or 10 at the very least.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:11 PM

I agree with a modest increase to allow us to have a better chance of catching it when we completely screwed up a post, but I think 15 is too long, because in an active thread it's confusing if somebody significantly changes a post after you've replied to it. I'd vote for maybe 8 minutes.
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

As always has been the case, simply use Preview Post.
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
As always has been the case, simply use Preview Post.
Nope, that isn't a solution - "Preview Post" hangs and fails just as frequently as every other interaction with the database fails.
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

I'm a member of more than a few boards. Some of them have no limit. The other ones are long enough that I don't know what the limit is. It have never been a problem that I can see. If your interlocutor is untrustworthy, quote 'em.

Five minutes is unnecessarily restrictive. That it's the way it always was is not a reason to keep it that way.

I think a 30 minute one would be a good test.
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Nope, that isn't a solution - "Preview Post" hangs and fails just as frequently as every other interaction with the database fails.
That's ok, just back up and try again, same as if you weren't previewing. If you can't back up, preview in a new tab.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Grey View Post
I'm a member of more than a few boards. Some of them have no limit. The other ones are long enough that I don't know what the limit is. It have never been a problem that I can see. If your interlocutor is untrustworthy, quote 'em.

Five minutes is unnecessarily restrictive. That it's the way it always was is not a reason to keep it that way.

I think a 30 minute one would be a good test.
This.
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

This has come up from time to time as we have suffered through all of the timeouts etc.

As has been said in previous threads (many times), if you get bit by the timeout bug or any other server problem, just report the post or send us a PM and be sure to send us exactly what you want the text to be corrected to so that all we have to do is copy and paste. We aren't going to re-write your posts for you. You need to tell us exactly what you want it to say.
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I don't think the mods are going to agree to a 30 minute period, even as a temporary measure. They might agree to 8 or 10.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Grey View Post
[nitpick]There didn't used to be an edit window at all.[/np]
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Create your post offline in your computer's text editor. Take all the time you want. Then copy/paste it in the edit window.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Create your post offline in your computer's text editor. Take all the time you want. Then copy/paste it in the edit window.
That's not much help for those who access the SDMB from a phone or a tablet.

But again, we already have a solution for this that has been in place for quite some time. We have been saying for months that if you experience any server issues (timeouts, errors, whatever), just contact us via PM or report the post and tell us exactly how you would like us to fix the post, and we'll fix it for you.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
This has come up from time to time as we have suffered through all of the timeouts etc.

As has been said in previous threads (many times), if you get bit by the timeout bug or any other server problem, just report the post or send us a PM and be sure to send us exactly what you want the text to be corrected to so that all we have to do is copy and paste. We aren't going to re-write your posts for you. You need to tell us exactly what you want it to say.
If I realize after I post that my phone picked up a "now" when I meant "not" (an unfortunately common problem) and it completely changes the meaning, I might do that. I'm not going to bug the mods because I misspelled "there" or left out a couple words you can guess, or any number of other petty little mistakes that are annoying to read and embarrassing to have posted, but, you know, not worth making someone else clean up after me.

So this will continue to be an annoyance to me, both in my own posts, and in reading other people's posts (because I assume I'm not the only one who runs into these issues.) Not an earth-shattering annoyance or anything. But I post on a lot of other boards, all of which allow edits, and it just isn't a problem. So ti seems odd that it's such a huge issue here.
Old Today, 02:11 AM

Some of these replies have a "It's not a problem for me, so we don't need to fix it" vibe to them. Let me add my voice to the "It's a problem for me" camp.

What is the nature of the mods' resistance to a longer edit window? Is it burdensome for them somehow? Do they see the problem as a character weakness instead of a glitch with devices that have hair-trigger autocorrect? What is the reasoning?
Old Today, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
We have been saying for months that if you experience any server issues (timeouts, errors, whatever), just contact us via PM or report the post and tell us exactly how you would like us to fix the post, and we'll fix it for you.

But that goes against experience. The moderators have always taken the attitude that members are responsible for what they write. Oh, they will fix formatting errors, such as messing up spoiler tags. But if you write the wrong word, you're on your own. If you accidentally omit the word 'not' from a post, giving the opposite meaning to what you intended, the mods generally won't do anything about it. There has been a time or two when I've asked for a correction like that, and got no response at all.

Has this policy changed?

Normally, a five minute period allows for minor corrections like that. But with the current problems, it may not be enough. I could ask the mods for a correction, but I'm not confidant that they will help.

One further problem. The mods aren't on duty 24/7. There's plenty of times when they are all asleep or at work. If I report a problem, sometimes it takes a day and a half before any mod even gets the message.
Old Today, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

I have yet to hear a good reason why we have these edit time outs anyway.

If someone wants to accuse "you changed your post after your arguments were proven false".

Well there's a time stamp on every post that gets edited. Shouldn't be all that hard to figure out.

I'm also doubtful anyone is actually dumb enough to try to change their post and claim they didn't in the first place.
Old Today, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Has this policy changed?
Our policy hasn't really changed, but, if you try to make an edit and you end up with some sort of server error, that's a server problem and not a user posting problem.

We don't want to punish you for server errors, so if you get a server error of some sort and that prevents you from editing your post within the 5 minute window, then we will fix it for you.
Old Today, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I'm also doubtful anyone is actually dumb enough to try to change their post and claim they didn't in the first place.
This happens all the time on message boards that allow editing. Just happened last week on another message board I read. One of the people that responded called them out on it but by that point the original post was lost and the whole thread didn't make much sense any more.
Old Today, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Our policy hasn't really changed, but, if you try to make an edit and you end up with some sort of server error, that's a server problem and not a user posting problem.

We don't want to punish you for server errors, so if you get a server error of some sort and that prevents you from editing your post within the 5 minute window, then we will fix it for you.
Two problems with that. First of all, it could be a day and a half before you see and respond to my request.

Second, it's open to abuse. I could tell you that I composed my post in MS Word, then cut and pasted. But owing to a paste error I missed four paragraphs. Please insert these four paragraphs in my post for me. I would have corrected it, but it timed out. Would you then do that? How would you know to trust me or not?

Edit- and there are legitimate uses for unlimited editing. People might want to have a thread full of suggestions from members on a particular subject. The first few posts index all the best suggestions submitted, and are updated frequently by the OP. It's a shame we can't do it here.

Last edited by Peter Morris; Today at 09:00 AM.
Old Today, 09:23 AM

Oh, people definitely change their posts on boards that allow it. Sometimes that's good. "I asked for advice growing a plant, but neglected to include my climate zone. Oops, fixed, a day later, after someone pointed that out." Sometimes it's bad. "You said something really wrong, and now you've edited it to be plausibly deniable." But it's not a major problem. On boards that allow unlimited editing, posters get into the habit of quoting posts that they want to rip into. And posters who do that more than rarely get a well-earned reputation.
Old Today, 09:37 AM

I would also like unlimited editing time but I understand that not allowing it is part of the nature of this board.

I don't know if having different editing options per sub-forum is possible because then perhaps you could allow broader editing privileges in Cafe Society, The Game Room, MPSIMS and Marketplace. The other sub-forums I think are more debatable.

Last edited by Fiendish Astronaut; Today at 09:37 AM. Reason: Irony
Old Today, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I've been on boards without edit limits where, even without malice, edits rendered a thread nonsensical, due to the OP being edited to clarify something, and the first three pages of the thread then being about something completely different from what was in the OP.

And in the board's current state, editing is even more than a chore than usual, because it hangs on edits just as often as it hangs on posts (it seems to me that it might even be more often, though I haven't kept statistics on that). I know that, for my own posts, while I would usually be inclined to fix errors like "there" instead of "their", lately, I'm happy enough if the post gets through at all. The only ones I'm inclined to fix nowadays are the ones where the mistake changes the meaning, like "not"/"now".