Old 05-14-2020, 03:59 PM

Count me as one who only has a few 'useful' hats like baseball caps for being out in the sun (brim forward to shield my eyes, it's not the 1990s any longer), wool cap for cold, windy days, and a hard-hat (when I am trimming the trees in back).
I am glad we are no longer in the era of men wearing non-useful hats* as a near-mandatory statement of fashion (as opposed to, say the first half of the 20th century - and probably the centuries before as well). What purpose does wearing a fedora on a clear night serve? IMHO, nothing.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I've always disliked hats, and I loathe ball caps. That said, I have a straw sun hat for prolonged sun exposure (because of meds I take), and I have an oilskin hat so I can walk in the rain without a damned umbrella (which I hate more than hats) and avoid being stabbed in the eye by my wife's umbrella.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:21 PM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

I don't wear hats outside of work. And my work hat has my name on it, so I can't lend that one to anyone. I find it strange that you think someone should own more than one hat as if a person even needs a single hat in the first place.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Long story short, before the lockdown friend invited me over to help with yardwork with the promise he'd return the favor soon after. My wife for whatever reason took my "emergency hat" I keep in my vehicle out of it (for sudden rain or emergency bad hair days) so when I got to his house I asked him if I could borrow a hat once I found out my hat was gone as he was already wearing his yard work baseball hat.

He immediately accused me of being irresponsible and claimed that he only owned a single hat, and why would you own more than a single hat? He made it seem like everyone on Earth only owns a single hat and I was somehow an idiot for thinking that people own more than a single hat.

So how many hats do you guys own?
I have a baseball cap for summer (only when it's very sunny), a woolen knitted cap for winter (only when it's very chilly), a Turkish cap I got as a souvenir from Istanbul 25 years ago and a straw hat I got through a liquor promotion (one straw hat for a round of three Caipirinhas, and at the end of the night everybody wore a straw hat and we all found that funny). The latter two I almost never wear, though the Turkish hat suits me very fine.

I'm not a hat guy, as most of my generation and younger.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:53 PM

If you’ve got to be mad at someone, I’d get mad at the wife for taking the “emergency hat” for whatever reason. I’d focus my efforts on getting to the bottom of the “whatever reason”. Maybe she hates that freaking emergency hat and is trying to keep you from wearing it ever again. Have you seen it since or is it still conveniently missing?

But I think that if she is driving your car into a situation where an emergency hat is required, she should bring her own damn emergency hat instead of stealing yours. With a wife like that, you better run out and get an emergency “emergency hat”.

I mean, this may seem like a silly discussion, but so is a discussion of how many hats your friend owns and is he holding out when he tells you he only has one hat.

BTW- I looked in my closet and I have nine hats. If you were a friend and wanted to borrow a hat because your wife hid your emergency hat, I’d probably lend you one. But if you needed one of my hats that much, I’d get to pick it. And you’d probably end up doing yard work in a floral print newsboy cap.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-14-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:02 AM

I have one baseball cap. I wear a size 7-3/4 and the "One Size Fits Most" adjustable caps don't fit me. Until I get another free fitted cap this will be all I have.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple of straw hats that I wear occasionally during the summer on relaxed occasions where I'll be out in the sun, like at our Friday afternoon farmers' market that won't be happening this year.

I also have two or three baseball caps around here somewhere; I haven't worn them in years, but if I were doing outdoor work where I needed to keep the sun out of my eyes, I'd probably hunt one of them down.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:10 AM

I have two baseball hats, both received for free from work with my company's logo on it. I don't like to wear hats generally, because I find them uncomfortable and they make my head itchy. If these two hats hadn't been given to me, I'd own zero hats.

I've actually been wearing one of them occasionally since lock-down, because my hair is starting to get in crazy-guy territory, so I throw it on less I scare children when I take the dog out for his walk first thing in the morning. The other hat is red with the logo in white, and I'll probably never wear that one, because red baseball hats with white writing have been ruined forever.

Feeling passionately about how many hats someone owns seems incredibly odd to me.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 AM

I have about 6 baseball caps of various sports teams, but I hardly wear them. Maybe when I am going to watch a game or race with other people.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
I have one hat. It's straw, and I wear it when I'm on my tractor bush hogging. It keeps my neck from getting burn and the sum out of my eyes.
That's a real plus.

I have a bunch of hats, wear one at a time. Baseball hats are worn in the normal, brim-forward way, unless I'm shooting in portrait mode, in which case it's turned around so the brim doesn't interfere with the camera. Turned back normal when camera comes down.

I'd go w/o if I didn't bring mine & probably wouldn't lend one to someone other than my gf. ICK!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:05 PM

Depending on your definition of "hat", I'm not sure I even own a single hat. I may have a cap or two somewhere but, no I don't wear hats. Who in the hell wears hats these days? I mean, okay, knitted hats for winter, sure. But like, what, those formal hats you see in 50s films? Hell no.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:06 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Long story short, before the lockdown friend invited me over to help with yardwork with the promise he'd return the favor soon after. My wife for whatever reason took my "emergency hat" I keep in my vehicle out of it (for sudden rain or emergency bad hair days) so when I got to his house I asked him if I could borrow a hat once I found out my hat was gone as he was already wearing his yard work baseball hat.

He immediately accused me of being irresponsible and claimed that he only owned a single hat, and why would you own more than a single hat? He made it seem like everyone on Earth only owns a single hat and I was somehow an idiot for thinking that people own more than a single hat.

One per season; a toque for winter and a baseball cap if I need one for the rest of the year. Why do I need more than one hat?
Old 05-18-2020, 02:43 PM

Some of you all are...something.

Who cares how many hats anyone owns? I certainly don't know nor care how many hats my friends have. And if I really wanted one, I'd bring my own. I'd never ask to borrow a hat. They want to volunteer one? OK. But it's my fault if I don't have one, not theirs.

What other things are you judging us on? What color our shovels are? How many zesters we have? Which way the toilet paper rolls?
Old 05-18-2020, 02:52 PM

Some thoughts:
One: People aren’t wearing enough hats.
Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person’s soul. However, this “soul” does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man’s unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
How many zesters we have?
Are you counting microplanes, which can be used as zesters and more, or only dedicated zesters? Need answer fast.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:34 PM

I have close to 50 hats. Mostly baseball caps. 3-4 wide brimmed hats. A couple of Irish flat caps.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Some of you all are...something.

Who cares how many hats anyone owns?
Other than the OP, I don't think anyone here has taken the position that someone must have a certain number of hats (or caps).
Old 05-18-2020, 04:21 PM

I probably still have in storage the occasional baseball cap from when I was a kid, but I've never used a hat as an adult, so I doubt they fit. So I say none.

Granted, I also still have all my hair. That's usually the point when I notice adults who wear hats, excluding the type who wear cowboy hats.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:40 AM

I look absolutely stupid in a hat. Flipped a random cap onto my head a few times, and that is always the consensus, from both within and from without.

Especially brimmed ball caps - I cannot pull off the look, no matter what I do with the ponytail. That girl-next-door with the hair pulled through? Not me. (I can do the sexy-cute "pencils in bun" thing, apparently. Glasses help.)

OH! It's the flippin' glasses! Maybe that's why hats always look stupid on me. Too many cranial accessories.

(Hat tip to Mitch Hedberg for that one.)
Old 05-19-2020, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

I've got about two dozen hats. Most of them are beer-company giveaway baseball caps I got at the local sports bar, which are great for the golf course. A few knitted tuques, of course, for winter, and some cowboy (and cowboy-style) hats. I do live in Alberta, after all.

My favourite "walkin' hat" is my Stetson Mountain Sky. Great for a walk in the nearby mountains, or even the local park. Surprisingly warm, too.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Four.

Two hats for winter - one has been rotated to "emergency" backup hat.

Two hats for summer - again, one is now backup.

If you count bike helmets as a hat I've got one of those, too.

I probably still have a couple baseball caps around but most I've given away because honestly I never wore them much.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 AM

I"m trying to thin down my hat collection. I wear hats almost all the time. In winter, generally navy surplus wool watch caps. I also have a thin technical fabric beanie I wear under that when it's below 15 F or so (and then an insulated hood over the watch cap). My husband wears the same winter hats and has let's say challenges putting things back where he picked them up from, so we keep a large basket of them near the door. We wear them indoors and out because we keep the thermostat at 60F and the house is old and drafty. In summer, an REI sun fabric hat with a big brim for hiking and outdoor work, and a riding helmet when I ride (I also have various helmet attachments for different weathers). I also have some fancy hats for church, including a wonderful 1920's style red cloche I got in Vienna at a store with two floors dedicated entirely to handmade hats. And a brown felt Aussie hat I used to wear all the time in coastal Northern California where it is never really warm or really cold but here in New England it's never the right temperature for one. Plus no one wears cowboy hats here. I do not like to stand out.

One thing I do not have is a ball cap. I don't understand the point of them as they make anyone wearing one look like a thug or a hick depending on the direction the bill is pointing, they don't protect your neck, they fly off in a breeze, your hair sticks out in a tuft in back, and in general they supply nothing I need in a hat.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:34 AM

I have ... dozens, if we include the medieval/costume ones. But then, I make hats for that. But "mundane" hats, I have 8 or so.

Not one of them is a baseball cap.

And I would not share a hat with anyone I'm not very intimate with, any more than I'd share my pants or bodily fluids. Hygiene, people.

But I wouldn't judge someone for not having a hat, either. Most people I know don't wear them when not actually hiking. Which is not ideal in a subtropical Southern Hemisphere country, but they're all big boys and girls.

Last edited by MrDibble; 05-19-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Depending on your definition of "hat", I'm not sure I even own a single hat. I may have a cap or two somewhere but, no I don't wear hats. Who in the hell wears hats these days? I mean, okay, knitted hats for winter, sure. But like, what, those formal hats you see in 50s films? Hell no.
Actually, now that I re-read the OP, I see that caps are included in the definition. In that case -- I looked around -- I own exactly one baseball cap, and it's a free promotional cap that I got from a photo company. I'm also bald, so I really should have a head covering.

If winter hats are allowed, then I have several of those, plus a bunch that I knitted for myself, my wife, and my kids. (Probably around a dozen.) No brimmed hats or fashion hats or anything like that, though.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareyfaerie View Post
I have one hat, and I have never worn it.
Me too!
Old 05-19-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Off the top of my head......

One from the 1940s
Two from the 1950s
Three from the 1960s.
Two from the late 20th century
Four handmade 1920s reproductions
Two handmade 1940s reproductions
One handmade 1910 reproduction
One beret
Three straw hats

A variety of hats appropriate for shoveling in winter.

No, you aren't wearing any of them for yardwork.

I do have a ballcap or two around that I could dig up - my husband has a few more, but wearing someone else's hat is icky - we learned that in elementary school.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

So, your friend had enough hats for his needs, and you did not have enough hats for your needs, and somehow this reflects on your friend?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
Me too!
I also have never worn your hat.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:

One.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 05-22-2020, 02:29 PM

I own precisely zero hats, not counting ones that go on lego figures. (Of those I have several hundred.)

Back when I was a teenager I wore baseball caps, and then my head got too big for them. My seamstress mom actually modified one to make it bigger, but it was to no avail. I had little choice but to become hatless.

Yes, I'm aware that if I spent like spending money I could get some sort of fancy hat custom fitted for my ponderous orb, but I don't really see the point. If it's too bright out, or too cold, or too rainy, I'll go inside. (Also when it's not bright, cold, or rainy, but who's counting?)

Also, if you offered to loan me a hat that you had previously worn, I would refuse it, and not just because it would perch balanced atop my massive cranium like a sparrow trying to hatch an ostrich. Rather, because ew.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
Off the top of my head......
What about the ones on the top of your head?
Old 05-22-2020, 02:46 PM

Oh, I have to amend my prior statement. I have costume hats, two of them. One is a plastic Darth Vader helmet, which probably isn't particularly suitable for yard work. The other is a flat cap/newsboy cap that's still too small for me, but can almost look like it isn't. I wouldn't wear it for yard work either - though I could, I suppose.