Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #44401  
Old 05-14-2020, 05:36 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,634
Representative and Trump ass remora Greg Steube crafted a bill specifically aimed at Ilhan Omar that would "prohibit a candidate for election to federal office from using amounts contributed to the candidate's campaign to make payments to vendors owned or controlled by an immediate family member of the candidate." This bill is very subtly called the "Obstructing Monetary Allocations to Relatives Act" or the OMAR Act.

To quote this article (which also sets out what Omar did that Steube is trying to block):
Quote:
The bill would prohibit campaign payments “to a vendor which is owned or controlled by an immediate family member of the candidate,” which it defines as “a father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, husband, wife, father-in-law, or mother-in-law.”
This apparently includes "payments to a company that is 'controlled' by a candidate’s family member if that family member 'is a member of the board of directors or similar governing body of the vendor'".

The thing is, Rep. Steube seems to have forgotten that Omar isn't the only one who does this sort of thing, and indeed there is one particular individual in the middle of a campaign who handed over control of his businesses to his children yet continues to funnel large sums of campaign money to those businesses...
  #44402  
Old 05-14-2020, 06:32 AM
Zakalwe's Avatar
Zakalwe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
The thing is, Rep. Steube seems to have forgotten that Omar isn't the only one who does this sort of thing, and indeed there is one particular individual in the middle of a campaign who handed over control of his businesses to his children yet continues to funnel large sums of campaign money to those businesses...
But said individual now has firm control of all of the agencies that would investigate and/or prosecute said violations....so, not gonna happen.
  #44403  
Old 05-14-2020, 09:27 AM
mcgato is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hoboken
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
And this right here is exactly why the politicization of our federal law enforcement poses such a dreadful blow to our country.
You act as if this is a new thing. Under W. Bush, federal prosecutors were bringing weak or sham charges against people in an effort to smear Democrats running for office. This is one from Wisconsin, where a long time state employee was convicted of fraud for approving a contract with a travel company. It was thrown out almost immediately upon appeal. The case was used heavily by Republicans to smear the Democratic candidate in the election for governor.
  #44404  
Old 05-14-2020, 10:43 AM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
You act as if this is a new thing. Under W. Bush, federal prosecutors were bringing weak or sham charges against people in an effort to smear Democrats running for office. This is one from Wisconsin, where a long time state employee was convicted of fraud for approving a contract with a travel company. It was thrown out almost immediately upon appeal. The case was used heavily by Republicans to smear the Democratic candidate in the election for governor.
I'm not "acting" any way at all. Well aware this went on during the administration of Bush the Lesser, and if you were familiar with my posts (no reason you should be), you'd understand that I consider the current "administration" just a continuation of the GWB presidency. So many familiar faces, up to their old tricks. They're just carrying on with the grand plan.

I'm not defending Burr. What he did deserves investigation and possibly arrest, trial and conviction. My point was about the continuing erosion of trust in our institutions -- which is accelerated in the Trump era.
  #44405  
Old 05-14-2020, 11:25 AM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
But said individual now has firm control of all of the agencies that would investigate and/or prosecute said violations....so, not gonna happen.
Exactly.

Draconian laws with selective enforcement.

Best path to fascism.
  #44406  
Old 05-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
After the FBI confiscated Senator Richard Burr's phone in their investigation for his insider trading, he has stepped down as chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
https://www.axios.com/richard-burr-s...b32e420fb.html
  #44407  
Old 05-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
nm, server fart

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 05-14-2020 at 01:14 PM.
  #44408  
Old 05-14-2020, 06:48 PM
MacCat's Avatar
MacCat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
After the FBI confiscated Senator Richard Burr's phone in their investigation for his insider trading, he has stepped down as chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
In keeping with EC*45's modus operandi, who will be the worse or worst replacement?
  #44409  
Old 05-14-2020, 07:27 PM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 36,264
Rep. @DevinNunes admits the GOP to use illegal measures to win in November:

"It’s the only way to win…as long as we have a robust ballot harvesting operation come November—I hate saying that because it's illegal in 49 states...[we're] in good shape"

https://t.co/FYzPxoKRJ2
  #44410  
Old 05-14-2020, 11:05 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
Mitch McConnell admits he was "wrong" about the Obama administration not leaving a pandemic plan book.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/14/polit...mic/index.html
  #44411  
Old 05-15-2020, 01:38 AM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,933
Idiots on Twitter are now calling Stone Cold Steve Austin a Communist because he wears a face mask.
  #44412  
Old 05-15-2020, 01:53 AM
Kimstu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 23,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
He's got the right response though:
Quote:
The fan commented, "The mask goes against your reputation! Stay strong, be a rebel, and do not conform! Cool mask, but strip off the communism!"

Steve Austin simply responded, "Shut up dude."
  #44413  
Old 05-15-2020, 04:52 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,689
Steve Austin is "stone cold"? No, Steve Austin is a pencil-necked, bleeding heart liberal weenie. Stalin was stone cold, and Beria made him look like Santa Claus.

Last edited by elucidator; 05-15-2020 at 04:54 AM.
  #44414  
Old 05-17-2020, 10:02 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 38,317
Ben Sasse thinks he a comedian at a (online) high school comencement address.
Quote:
U.S. Sen. Ben Sasse's attempt at humor during a speech at a Nebraska high school's online commencement — which included jokes about students' fitness and psychologists and also blamed China for the coronavirus outbreak — drew strong criticism.

The Republican senator's speech on Saturday was panned by a Fremont High School board member and his Democratic opponent in the November election. Sasse's spokesman, James Wegmann, told the Omaha World-Herald Sunday the senator was joking during the graduation speech.

Sasse said during the speech "95% of all gainfully employed psychologists — and I'm serious there are dozens of them that are gainfully employed —- their job is really just to help people forget high school ... If you’re headed to college, do not — do not — major in psychology. That part’s not a joke.”

Sasse, who was unshaven and wore a loosened red tie and white dress shirt, also said that in life, the graduates would at times be asked to climb giant ropes. “If you don’t get that joke, talk to your mom and dad. Back in the day when we were a lot fitter than you people are, we used to have to climb ropes all the way up to the ceiling of the gym all the time.”

Sasse suggested that the graduates would remember their senior years at their future reunions as “that time when China started a big global pandemic that created the worst public health crisis in over a century and brought the economy to its knees and we had to stay home and everybody was hoarding toilet paper.”
So who was the bigger idiot, Sasse or the person who asked him to do the address?

Last edited by running coach; 05-17-2020 at 10:03 PM.
  #44415  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:50 AM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Ben Sasse thinks he a comedian at a (online) high school comencement address.

So who was the bigger idiot, Sasse or the person who asked him to do the address?
Oh, definitely Sasse. I believe (too lazy to look up cites) that he at time has sounded like that rarest of unicorn's, a reasonable Republican that occasionally pushes back against Trump. No reason to expect a sitting US Senator to be an asshole in public (although they have started saying the quiet parts out loud a lot lately).
  #44416  
Old 05-18-2020, 08:07 AM
MN_Maenad is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 570
On the last day of the MN legislative session, none of the Republican members wore masks on the floor:

https://www.startribune.com/flurry-o...ion/570547242/

I'm honestly getting to the point that I'm encouraging this - maybe they'll kill themselves off and the country will finally return to sanity.
  #44417  
Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Maenad View Post
I'm honestly getting to the point that I'm encouraging this - maybe they'll kill themselves off and the country will finally return to sanity.
I have the same fantasy but unfortunately the death rate is way too low for it to be of much effect. What I'm hoping for is that enough of them are too sick to go and vote come November but the timing's not really right on that either.
  #44418  
Old 05-18-2020, 12:26 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Maenad View Post
On the last day of the MN legislative session, none of the Republican members wore masks on the floor:

https://www.startribune.com/flurry-o...ion/570547242/

I'm honestly getting to the point that I'm encouraging this - maybe they'll kill themselves off and the country will finally return to sanity.
If only that were how pandemics worked.

Unfortunately, they are endangering others more than they are endangering themselves.
  #44419  
Old 05-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I have the same fantasy but unfortunately the death rate is way too low for it to be of much effect. What I'm hoping for is that enough of them are too sick to go and vote come November but the timing's not really right on that either.

If enough of them get sick, then all of a sudden mail-in ballots will be perfectly acceptable to them. As a curently overseas voter and previously military deployed voter, I'm rather peeved at their current attitude towards mail-in ballots.
  #44420  
Old 05-18-2020, 03:47 PM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 8,482
I think this qualifies for this thread:

Trump announces accelerated vaccine development program, names it Operation Warp Speed. So he's named it after a science fiction trope, something that so far as we know is impossible. Will the program be led by people who have played scientists on TV?
  #44421  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:17 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,360
Here we go!

From The New York Times: Freed by Court Ruling, Republicans Step Up Effort to Patrol Voting Officials seek to recruit 50,000 poll watchers and spend millions to fight voter fraud. Democrats say the real goal is to stop them from voting.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/u...?smid=em-share
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Six months before a presidential election in which turnout could matter more than persuasion, the Republican Party, the Trump campaign and conservative activists are mounting an aggressive national effort to shape who gets to vote in November — and whose ballots are counted.

Its premise is that a Republican victory in November is imperiled by widespread voter fraud, a baseless charge embraced by President Trumpbut repeatedly debunked by research.Democrats and voting rights advocates say the driving factor is politics, not fraud — especially since Mr. Trump’s narrow win in 2016 underscored the potentially crucial value of depressing turnout by Democrats, particularly minorities.

The Republican program, which has gained steam in recent weeks, envisions recruiting up to 50,000 volunteers in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious. That is part of a $20 million plan that also allots millions to challenge lawsuits by Democrats and voting-rights advocates seeking to loosen state restrictions on balloting. The party and its allies also intend to use advertising,the internetand Mr. Trump’s command of the airwaves to cast Democrats as agents of election theft.

The efforts are bolstered by a 2018 federal court ruling that for the first time in nearly four decades allows the national Republican Party to mount campaigns against purported voter fraud without court approval. The court ban on Republican Party voter-fraud operationswas imposed in 1982, and then modified in 1986 and again in 1990,each time after courts found instances of Republicans intimidating or working to exclude minority voters in the name of preventing fraud. The party was found to have violated it yet again in 2004.

....
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #44422  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
The state of Georgia put out a graph showing that the number of virus cases is going down. Until people looked closely and realized that the dates were not in chronological order.
https://secondnexus.com/brian-kemp-m...ng-graph-virus
  #44423  
Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 38,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The state of Georgia put out a graph showing that the number of virus cases is going down. Until people looked closely and realized that the dates were not in chronological order.
https://secondnexus.com/brian-kemp-m...ng-graph-virus
Shouda just used a Sharpie.
  #44424  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:34 AM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 16,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
I think this qualifies for this thread:

Trump announces accelerated vaccine development program, names it Operation Warp Speed. So he's named it after a science fiction trope, something that so far as we know is impossible. Will the program be led by people who have played scientists on TV?
They should rather have named the program Operation Infinite Improbability Drive because it takes you somewhere arbitrarily fast but you can't predict where nor what species of animal you will be when you get there. So you should plan ahead and dress appropriately.

The object is to get a vaccine out there in mass production and mass distribution, with less regard over whether it is safe or if it actually works. We can address those question later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Azar, HHS Secretary
"What we're doing is wringing the inefficiency out of the development process to make the development side faster to get to a safe and effective vaccine," Azar said Sunday. "And at the same time, we're going to scale up commercial-sized manufacturing to produce hundreds of millions of doses at risk. They may not pan out. They might not prove to be safe and effective, but we'll have it so we can begin administration right away."
(My bold added.) As quoted in Azar says Trump administration aiming for 300 million coronavirus vaccine doses by 2021, Melissa Quinn, CBS News, May 17, 2020, discussing interview with Azar on Face the Nation.
  #44425  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:27 AM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
They should rather have named the program Operation Infinite Improbability Drive because it takes you somewhere arbitrarily fast but you can't predict where nor what species of animal you will be when you get there. So you should plan ahead and dress appropriately.

The object is to get a vaccine out there in mass production and mass distribution, with less regard over whether it is safe or if it actually works. We can address those question later.



(My bold added.) As quoted in Azar says Trump administration aiming for 300 million coronavirus vaccine doses by 2021, Melissa Quinn, CBS News, May 17, 2020, discussing interview with Azar on Face the Nation.
I think the idea is that they will be manufacturing it before it is proven to be safe, so that if it is safe, then we don't have to wait for it to be manufactured.

This is a wasteful idea, in that it means that there may be vaccines that are produced in the hundreds of millions that have to be discarded as they are discovered to have safety or efficacy issues. But, it's not a bad idea if the goal is to have it as widely distributed as quickly as possible and you don't care about the cost.

That said, it doesn't matter what red tape you cut, biology don't work like that. If there is a side effect that only effects 5% of the people and doesn't show up for 2-3 years, then we will have no way of knowing that before putting it into hundreds of millions, possibly billions of people. Then, a couple years after we've started relaxing again after this pandemic, suddenly millions of people start getting sick from side effects.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 05-19-2020 at 10:29 AM.
  #44426  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:50 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I think the idea is that they will be manufacturing it before it is proven to be safe, so that if it is safe, then we don't have to wait for it to be manufactured.

This is a wasteful idea, in that it means that there may be vaccines that are produced in the hundreds of millions that have to be discarded as they are discovered to have safety or efficacy issues. But, it's not a bad idea if the goal is to have it as widely distributed as quickly as possible and you don't care about the cost.

That said, it doesn't matter what red tape you cut, biology don't work like that. If there is a side effect that only effects 5% of the people and doesn't show up for 2-3 years, then we will have no way of knowing that before putting it into hundreds of millions, possibly billions of people. Then, a couple years after we've started relaxing again after this pandemic, suddenly millions of people start getting sick from side effects.
Which will then be followed by a whole bunch of anti-vaxers gleefully crying "we told you so!", leading to mass resurgence of measles and whooping cough that will make Covid look like a day in the park.
  #44427  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:40 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Which will then be followed by a whole bunch of anti-vaxers gleefully crying "we told you so!", leading to mass resurgence of measles and whooping cough that will make Covid look like a day in the park.
Yep, giving the anti-vaxx crowd anything actually legitimate to hang their hat on would be the most devastating medical mistake of the century.
  #44428  
Old 05-19-2020, 01:01 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
The Governor of Georgia has opened up the state, because there's nothing to worry about, but it's too dangerous to hold an election for a state Supreme Court position, so he's going to cancel the election and appoint a Republican to fill the seat.
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/19/212623...kemp-blackwell
  #44429  
Old 05-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The Governor of Georgia has opened up the state, because there's nothing to worry about, but it's too dangerous to hold an election for a state Supreme Court position, so he's going to cancel the election and appoint a Republican to fill the seat.
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/19/212623...kemp-blackwell
Nothing to do with Covid-19 - they just figured out that if they delay the resignation until after the November election, they can do a gubernatorial appointment that lasts two years, instead of one that only lasts until election day.
  #44430  
Old 05-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
The woman who was in charge of reporting coronavirus data for the state of Florida claims she was fired because she refused to manipulate data to make the state's numbers look better.
https://www.salon.com/2020/05/19/cov...pening-florida
  #44431  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:58 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The woman who was in charge of reporting coronavirus data for the state of Florida claims she was fired because she refused to manipulate data to make the state's numbers look better.
https://www.salon.com/2020/05/19/cov...pening-florida
At least the lying shit-ass governor had the decency to respond:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/5226744002/

Quote:
Facing an explosive charge that his administration is manipulating coronavirus data to help make the case for reopening Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis played down the controversy Tuesday as a “nonissue.”
It's pretty clear now that the republicans' public health response is simply to lie to the public.

Like how are we different from Russia, China, or any other authoritarian state at this point? The distinctions are increasingly fewer and less significant. I guess the government hasn't had journalists murdered and doctors jailed yet - that's some positive news, I reckon.

Last edited by asahi; 05-20-2020 at 10:01 AM.
  #44432  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The state of Georgia put out a graph showing that the number of virus cases is going down. Until people looked closely and realized that the dates were not in chronological order.
https://secondnexus.com/brian-kemp-m...ng-graph-virus
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's pretty clear now that the republicans' public health response is simply to lie to the public.


The thing that really bothers me is that they're lying so badly. With the example above, the only way they could have ever gotten away with it is if literally no one ever really took a look at their chart. How likely was that? This lie fell apart almost immediately - the first time I even heard about it was the people pointing out the lie - so what was the point?

If they really wanted a lie to stand, even for a day or two, why didn't they just make it up out of whole cloth? At least then the debunkers would have had to track down the real data, and compare it to the fake. But the way they did it, all the debunkers had to do was point to the dates listed on the very chart the liars themselves published.

Are they really that stupid, or do they really think that everyone else is that stupid?
__________________
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?
  #44433  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 6,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Are they really that stupid,
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
or do they really think that everyone else is that stupid?
Also yes. And that's what they're counting on, that their base is more stupid than they are.
  #44434  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 13,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Yes.
Also yes. And that's what they're counting on, that their base is more stupid than they are.
Partly yes, but more to the point: they're counting on us to simply not give a shit.

The most discouraging implication of the entire disastrous COVID-19 response is that we, the people, are accepting that this was somehow unavoidable. And that's pretty hard to reconcile for a nation that brags its ass off about how great our technology is and how we have the most advanced healthcare system in the world, and how congratulate ourselves all the fucking time about how the rest of the planet looks to us for leadership. We haven't done a fucking thing to stop the pandemic except make silly-assed YouTube videos, stupid hashtags, and obnoxious neighborhood car parades -- because this was just as unavoidable as a comet smashing into, of all countries on the planet, America, and we need our self-esteem.

Meanwhile, no collective outrage. Confusion and selective outrage, but no collective middle finger to lying, obfuscation, and attacks on public institutions. We're a far cry from the country that rebelled for independence from the Crown; we're just good little sheep. We're behaving. And that's not good.
  #44435  
Old 05-20-2020, 01:23 PM
zoid's Avatar
zoid is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 10,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The thing that really bothers me is that they're lying so badly.
There's a great line in the movie The Pope Of Greenwich Village spoken by Mickey Rourke: "I promise you from now on my lies will be much better"
  #44436  
Old 05-20-2020, 06:07 PM
John Bredin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: BuffaloGrove IL (Chicago)
Posts: 2,195
The Illinois legislator (GOP & Downstate, natch) who sued to challenge the stay-at-home order was booted from the Assembly when he attended today's legislative session without a mask and refused to put one on when asked to. Link. Link.

To be fair, the mask rule was voted in 97-12 and the scofflaw was voted out 81-27, so at least some Republicans had a non-stupid idea today.
  #44437  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
A Fox news anchor challenged a Biden staffer to name any lies Individual 1 has come up with about the coronavirus, and she got more than she bargained for.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/fox-n...005037787.html
  #44438  
Old 05-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
Militia member is arrested trying to hijack a helicopter so he can "rescue" coronavirus patients from a hospital.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9528431.html
  #44439  
Old 05-23-2020, 03:05 PM
Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Great White North
Posts: 20,811
Quote:
According to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll, 44 percent of Republicans believe that Bill Gates is plotting to use a mass COVID-19 vaccination campaign as a pretext to implant microchips in billions of people and monitor their movements
https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-new...152843610.html

I chalk it up to faulty pre-frontal cortex development.
__________________
Hour after hour, day after day, we paddled and sang and slept under the hot sun on the northern ocean, wanting never to return.
  #44440  
Old 05-23-2020, 06:56 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 10,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
The Illinois legislator (GOP & Downstate, natch) who sued to challenge the stay-at-home order was booted from the Assembly when he attended today's legislative session without a mask and refused to put one on when asked to. Link. Link.

To be fair, the mask rule was voted in 97-12 and the scofflaw was voted out 81-27, so at least some Republicans had a non-stupid idea today.
From the first link:
"When asked during his daily briefing on Monday, Pritzker addressed the reports of lawmakers who did not want to wear masks during session. "I hear that there are people that are planning to show up in Springfield in the legislature not wearing a mask. Think about what that says, right? Because a mask isn't designed to protect you. It's designed to protect the people you're with," he said, calling the decision to not wear a face covering "callous disregard for people's health."
"Most of the legislators that I talked to understand that it is necessary, it is something that is, again, it's keeping the other people that you're with safe," Pritzker later added."
  #44441  
Old 05-23-2020, 08:41 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
From the first link:
"When asked during his daily briefing on Monday, Pritzker addressed the reports of lawmakers who did not want to wear masks during session. "I hear that there are people that are planning to show up in Springfield in the legislature not wearing a mask. Think about what that says, right? Because a mask isn't designed to protect you. It's designed to protect the people you're with," he said, calling the decision to not wear a face covering "callous disregard for people's health."
"Most of the legislators that I talked to understand that it is necessary, it is something that is, again, it's keeping the other people that you're with safe," Pritzker later added."
Exactly right. Refusal to wear a mask in an appropriate situation is simply a means for a person to say "fuck you, I don't give a shit about you."

So take them seriously. They have identified themselves as not giving a shit about others. It's a good indicator that you should have nothing whatsoever to do with this person. They should be cut off from civilized society, shunned, and ignored. Businesses are free to refuse them entry. Normal people should refuse to engage with them in any fashion whatsoever. They want to say "fuck you"? Feel free. All by themselves.
  #44442  
Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
Bexar County, Texas GOP chair tells a crowd that the coronavirus is a Democratic hoax, so take off your masks and hug each other.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1263937751872868353
  #44443  
Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 AM
TonySinclair is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Bexar County, Texas GOP chair tells a crowd that the coronavirus is a Democratic hoax, so take off your masks and hug each other.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1263937751872868353
Shout out to Germany, Spain, PM Boris Johnson, and all those other heroes around the world who died or went critical to help the Dems pull this off.
  #44444  
Old 05-24-2020, 03:38 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Shout out to Germany, Spain, PM Boris Johnson, and all those other heroes around the world who died or went critical to help the Dems pull this off.

You're talking about those crisis actors, right?
  #44445  
Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Exactly right. Refusal to wear a mask in an appropriate situation is simply a means for a person to say "fuck you, I don't give a shit about you."

So take them seriously. They have identified themselves as not giving a shit about others. It's a good indicator that you should have nothing whatsoever to do with this person. They should be cut off from civilized society, shunned, and ignored. Businesses are free to refuse them entry. Normal people should refuse to engage with them in any fashion whatsoever. They want to say "fuck you"? Feel free. All by themselves.
I repeat my suggestion from a couple weeks ago in another thread.

If you don't want to abide by the new social distancing protocols, fine, but you get the back of your hand stamped with permanent ink; something that'll last about two weeks but it gets renewed every time you go out.

If the hospitals don't get slammed, no problem; the stamp has no effect. If they are overwhelmed, though, and you arrive at ER with a stamp -- even for a non-COVID illness or injury -- you're the one tipped off of the gurney into a corner.
  #44446  
Old 05-24-2020, 09:22 AM
mhendo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 25,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Bexar County, Texas GOP chair tells a crowd that the coronavirus is a Democratic hoax, so take off your masks and hug each other.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1263937751872868353
This woman's husband pleaded guilty in 1999 to indecently exposing himself to her 14-year-old daughter (from a previous marriage).

Also:
Quote:
During his stint in the military, the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID) looked into a series of allegations against him covering the period from 1983-88, including acts of sexual assault against children and exposing minors to pornography, according to Army documents obtained by the San Antonio Express-News. These incidents occurred at Fort Lewis, Wash., the military installation where Norman was stationed at the time.

The investigation focused on three alleged victims — two girls and one boy — in addition to Norman’s stepdaughter. The CID released its investigative summary on Oct. 13, 2006, and it was damning.

“Investigation established probable cause to believe LTC BREHM committed the offenses of Forcible Sodomy, Indecent Acts and Liberties with a Child, when on numerous occasions he forced (name redacted) to perform oral sodomy upon him, indecently assaulting (her) and exposing her to various forms of adult and child pornography,” CID concluded.
#FamilyValues
  #44447  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:17 AM
davidm's Avatar
davidm is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 12,816
Where do these people come from? Some gutter or from under some rock?
__________________
Check out my t-shirt designs in Marketplace. https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...php?p=21131885
  #44448  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:45 AM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 15,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Where do these people come from? Some gutter or from under some rock?
I can't even figure out what their 'goal' is anymore. I mean really. They WANT a stupid asshole to run the country? And it is to laugh that he is 'running' the country.

But to what end? Sure, they are racist assholes, but my god, many of them can't think past the ends of their noses.

I know there have been threads about being gentle with these people, but that's like reasoning with a rabid dog. I'll continue to call them what they are.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #44449  
Old 05-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 6,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Bexar County, Texas GOP chair tells a crowd that the coronavirus is a Democratic hoax, so take off your masks and hug each other.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1263937751872868353
Did they? If so, it's time to start the countdown timer, set to 14 days.
  #44450  
Old 05-24-2020, 04:46 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Did they? If so, it's time to start the countdown timer, set to 14 days.
The video shows the people behind her (who weren't wearing masks) hugging.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017