Old 05-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

A possible reason behind the threats of armed response to the requiring of masks:
Quote:
For weeks, Ingraham treated masks as common sense. But when CNN and others began to treat masks as common sense, Ingraham started to cast them as a cynical ploy in a nefarious plot to stoke hysteria and repress freedom.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:21 PM
BANNED

If you want to see what CNN and MSNBC ignores....

I'm not claiming that either is right or wrong... I'm saying that each has selective coverage and viewpoints.

If you want to see what CNN and MSNBC ignores then turn on FOX News. If you want to see what FOX tries to ignore / downplay then turn to CNN or MSNBC. You need to watch both to get a feel for both sides and even be aware of lots of the questions and perspectives each side has.

I watch both because I want to see what's coming from both sides.

People say they long for the Old Days" when the "unbiased" newsmen all just told the news and it was pretty much the same on each channel. Yeah... It was pretty much the same but I'm not sure at all that it was unbiased. Even if their diligence in reporting the facts depended on what they decided was worth looking into.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdowiat View Post
I'm not claiming that either is right or wrong... I'm saying that each has selective coverage and viewpoints.

If you want to see what CNN and MSNBC ignores then turn on FOX News. If you want to see what FOX tries to ignore / downplay then turn to CNN or MSNBC. You need to watch both to get a feel for both sides and even be aware of lots of the questions and perspectives each side has.

I watch both because I want to see what's coming from both sides.

People say they long for the Old Days" when the "unbiased" newsmen all just told the news and it was pretty much the same on each channel. Yeah... It was pretty much the same but I'm not sure at all that it was unbiased. Even if their diligence in reporting the facts depended on what they decided was worth looking into.
Sorry, but this is just the lazy reasoning of false equivalence. There are 52 pages in this thread explaining why Fox News is uniquely bad. The comparison between CNN and Fox News, isn't a comparison between two legitimate news organizations with differing points of view, it is the difference between journalism and propaganda. Items critical of Democrats appear all the time on CNN, the Washington Post, or NBC. They may not appear as often as items critical of Republicans, but that is simply because the current crop of Republicans tend to do more appalling things than the current crop of Democrats. With Fox news, all stories are crafted to slant towards the Republican conservative point of view.

Here is a simple example from the front page of CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/opini...art/index.html

I challenge you to find something equally negative about Trump or any other Republican on the Fox front page.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 05-08-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, each has selective coverage and viewpoints. But Fox also deliberately lies and makes shit up, and deliberately keeps lying long after their stories are debunked. CNN and MSNBC aren't perfect, and sometimes get stories wrong, but they correct them as soon as they know they're wrong. Fox will keep pounding on stuff like Uranium One for months or years after it's debunked.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:29 AM

Yeah... if a geologist says the earth is round and some rando on youtube says it's flat, the smart thing isn't to listen to both and consider them equally.

The only value watching Fox has is to understand what sort of bullshit their peddling to better counteract it.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:17 AM

rather like watching Bill Nye debate Ken Ham
Old 05-09-2020, 07:45 PM

I'm tired of all the yammering about how bad Fox News is.

Where else are we going to find top-line investigative journalism like this?

"Ellen DeGeneres isn’t as nice as she wants you to believe, insiders confess"

I had no idea of the sociopath hiding behind the mask of "be kind".*

*the story reveals, among other things, that DeGeneres once complained about a waitress' chipped nail polish.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 05-09-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I'm tired of all the yammering about how bad Fox News is.

Where else are we going to find top-line investigative journalism like this?

"Ellen DeGeneres isn’t as nice as she wants you to believe, insiders confess"

I had no idea of the sociopath hiding behind the mask of "be kind".*

*the story reveals, among other things, that DeGeneres once complained about a waitress' chipped nail polish.
They're bucking for a Pulitzer! Or maybe a Noble.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Sorry, but this is just the lazy reasoning of false equivalence. There are 52 pages in this thread explaining why Fox News is uniquely bad. The comparison between CNN and Fox News, isn't a comparison between two legitimate news organizations with differing points of view, it is the difference between journalism and propaganda. Items critical of Democrats appear all the time on CNN, the Washington Post, or NBC. They may not appear as often as items critical of Republicans, but that is simply because the current crop of Republicans tend to do more appalling things than the current crop of Democrats. With Fox news, all stories are crafted to slant towards the Republican conservative point of view.

Here is a simple example from the front page of CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/opini...art/index.html

I challenge you to find something equally negative about Trump or any other Republican on the Fox front page.
Looks like they've been say negative unflattering stuff about him at FOX news and got under his skin there.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Yes, each has selective coverage and viewpoints. But Fox also deliberately lies and makes shit up, and deliberately keeps lying long after their stories are debunked. CNN and MSNBC aren't perfect, and sometimes get stories wrong, but they correct them as soon as they know they're wrong. Fox will keep pounding on stuff like Uranium One for months or years after it's debunked.
And Joe and Mika pounded "Russia Collusion" even PAST the Muller report... Over TWO years of that. They had people on that claimed THEY HAD the evidence! Whatever became of all that?

Last edited by Sdowiat; 05-10-2020 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
And Joe and Mika pounded "Russia Collusion" even PAST the Muller report... Over TWO years of that. They had people on that claimed THEY HAD the evidence! Whatever became of all that?
Maybe I'm being whooshed, but the president was impeached over various things around the collusion that took place.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks like they've been say negative unflattering stuff about him at FOX news and got under his skin there.
Well, it was about time that you realized that Trump is indeed a snowflake that does not stand to take even what it is a pasteurized version of criticism to him. Heck, he even dislikes that FOX "fails" in his view because FOX makes the "mistake" of interviewing and reporting about what others said because it hurts his feelings.

https://www.politicalflare.com/2020/...ternative-now/
Quote:
They don’t want Lysol stories.

Trump doesn’t want Lysol stories. But mostly Trump doesn’t want a fair, down the middle interview of Nancy Pelosi. That is because Nany Pelosi is not the sub-human, fire-breathing monster she is depicted as on the Right. If she’s interviewed straight-up, people might notice that they agree with what she’s saying. Such a fact is dangerous to Trump.

Thus it is that we get a Sunday evening tweetstorm by Trump, who is never afraid to let people know what is up in his mind in the moment.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Maybe I'm being whooshed, but the president was impeached over various things around the collusion that took place.
This is incorrect. The impeachment was based on misbehavior that was entirely unrelated to the Bobby Three Sticks investigation.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:46 PM

nm

Last edited by Mijin; 05-10-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
You are the third person I know of, after Trump and William Barr, who thinks the Mueller Report cleared Trump of collusion with Russia. For fuck's sake, Trump asked Russia for help on live TV.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
You are the third person I know of, after Trump and William Barr, who thinks the Mueller Report cleared Trump of collusion with Russia. For fuck's sake, Trump asked Russia for help on live TV.
In a very narrow and technical sense the Mueller report does clear the Trump campaign of conspiring with the Russian government, although it was mostly because the Trump campaign were too incompetent to participate in the Russian efforts to interfere in the election. Note that "collusion" was never within the scope of the investigation as it is not a legal term of any significance.

The report does, however, set out over 100 instances of direct interaction by the Russian government and its agents with the Trump campaign with the intent to influence the election. Also note that multiple US intelligence agencies confirmed Russian interference in the election before the Mueller investigation kicked off, and and six close Trump campaign and administration members were indicted and convicted of felony perjury committed to hide interactions with Russia (now minus Flynn, although he'd previous pled guilty to it). Sessions was also going to be investigated for perjuring himself to hide meetings with Russia but simply fired the investigator, and Kushner repeatedly "forgot" to mention his meetings with Russia in his security clearance application (something which is itself a felony).

So anyone genuinely thinking that the Russia thing is a "hoax" has clearly been immersed in the alternative reality that is presented by FoxNews and the rest of the far-right media bubble.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
This is incorrect. The impeachment was based on misbehavior that was entirely unrelated to the Bobby Three Sticks investigation.
You know what, you're right! I had already forgotten that the House was derelict in their duties there, even though Mueller was practically begging them to do that (in his extremely subtle and low-key way). My apologies.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:05 AM
BANNED

On a related note, NBC has admitted that they misleadingly edited a quote from Bill Barr..

Not that examples prove anything, of course when it isn't Fox.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-11-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
On a related note, NBC has admitted that they misleadingly edited a quote from Bill Barr..

Regards,
Shodan
According to the story, Todd ran a clip of Barr responding to a question about how history would judge DoJ's dropping the Flynn case,
Well, history is written by the winners, so it largely depends on who's writing the history.
but cut it off before
I think a fair history would say it was a good decision because it upheld the rule of law. It upheld the standards of the Department of Justice, and it undid what was an injustice.
which totally makes his comments different in a good way because. Reasons.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

Regards,
Shodan
They admitted error?? Only weak-ass news channels do that. Good ones, like Fox, continue to lie for weeks or months without issuing a correction.

Thanks, by the way, for illustrating again why Fox is worse than, in this example, NBC.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:44 AM

Shodan should totally start a "Is NBC really all that bad?" thread. And I'm sure it will fill up just as rapidly as this one, in much the same way Clothahump's "Stupid Liberal Idea of the Day" thread rapidly surpassed the "SRIOTD" one.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
They admitted error?? Only weak-ass news channels do that. Good ones, like Fox, continue to lie for weeks or months without issuing a correction.
Fox does issue timely corrections, even when they involve hilariously embarrassing goofs.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to the story, Todd ran a clip of Barr responding to a question about how history would judge DoJ's dropping the Flynn case,
Well, history is written by the winners, so it largely depends on who's writing the history.
but cut it off before
I think a fair history would say it was a good decision because it upheld the rule of law. It upheld the standards of the Department of Justice, and it undid what was an injustice.
which totally makes his comments different in a good way because. Reasons.
It was misleading. Without the omitted portion, a viewer might reasonably conclude that William P. Barr told the truth.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:14 PM

I have to admit that when I saw the truncated Barr clip I thought it was shockingly cynical, even for this administration. So yeah, NBC screwed up....once. And fixed it.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:46 PM

It actually sounds rather like a dogwhistle. The Turner Diaries is a prime example of history written by the winners. I will not say outright that Barr is alluding to that – at least, not a direct allusion – but...
Old 05-13-2020, 10:23 AM

Since I've made fun of Fox News for running a succession of stories about "hot" celebs relaxing in scanty swimwear while self-quarantining, I should note that ABC News' website today contains this gem:

"Michelle Pfeiffer stuns in makeup-free selfie while pining for quarantine to end"

Old 05-14-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Since I've made fun of Fox News for running a succession of stories about "hot" celebs relaxing in scanty swimwear while self-quarantining, I should note that ABC News' website today contains this gem:

"Michelle Pfeiffer stuns in makeup-free selfie while pining for quarantine to end"

This is the sort of thing that put me off CNN for good (that and their epilepsy-inducing promos). It's not that they're biased to the left; it's that they're biased to the superficial and stupid.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:14 AM

This is a lead story on foxnews.com

"Biden botches unemployment, fatality figures related to coronavirus"

He mixed up the death figures and the unemployment figures in one roundtable.

Seems clear to me that there is not much dirt Fox can find on Biden.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
This is the sort of thing that put me off CNN for good (that and their epilepsy-inducing promos). It's not that they're biased to the left; it's that they're biased to the superficial and stupid.
I feel the same way about CNN, but thankfully I am only exposed to them at airports. That and news links and I don't like clicking on them in case the link is really to a time-consuming video instead of text.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
This is a lead story on foxnews.com

"Biden botches unemployment, fatality figures related to coronavirus"

He mixed up the death figures and the unemployment figures in one roundtable.

Seems clear to me that there is not much dirt Fox can find on Biden.
Oh, so you want to bury the unemployed, and send checks to the dead?

And economic intercourse, what's that even supposed to mean? Fuck the economy?

Old 05-15-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
"Intercourse" is a general term the means any kind of activity that involves more than one individual (usually, but not always, human). We are accustomed to using the elliptical form which is the shortened version of "sexual intercourse".

Or, as they say in Soviet America, “You don't fuck economy ...
Old 05-15-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Oh, so you want to bury the unemployed, and send checks to the dead?

I heard he told the crowd he was going to Intercourse, PA next. And everyone laughed at the senile old man.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
"Intercourse" is a general term the means any kind of activity that involves more than one individual (usually, but not always, human). We are accustomed to using the elliptical form which is the shortened version of "sexual intercourse".

Or, as they say in Soviet America, “You don't fuck economy ...
Yes, yes, I was just making light of the term. I used to tell people that I wanted to have interlocutor intercourse with them. Most didn't take it all that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I heard he told the crowd he was going to Intercourse, PA next. And everyone laughed at the senile old man.
That's because they knew he'd take a wrong turn after Mountville and end up in Blue Ball.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 05-15-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:39 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
That's because they knew he'd take a wrong turn after Mountville and end up in Blue Ball.
Maybe he should avoid French Lick in any trip to Indiana.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:57 PM

Sean Hannity exposes the awful truth about Bernie Sanders:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/stat...06253940228097
Old 05-22-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:

It's just the break that the Biden campaign has been waiting for!
Old 05-22-2020, 04:40 PM
Mod Rocker

In fairness to Faux News, a Twitter post is not a Fox action.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:12 PM

Trump agrees that Fox News is bad!

Quote:
From the business perspective of Fox News, this is about as unhelpful a tweet as President Trump could have offered.

....Hahn, Richard Goodstein, Donna Brazile, Niel Cavuto, and many others. They repeat the worst of the Democrat speaking points, and lies. All of the good is totally nullified, and more. Net Result = BAD! CNN & MSDNC are all in for the Do Nothing Democrats! Fox WAS Great!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 21, 2020

In his tweet, the president makes explicit the subtext at which he’s hinted in the past, when offering complaints about how Fox had “forgotten the people that got them there” — meaning, of course, his and the network’s shared base of conservatives and Republicans. Previously, he had chastised Fox for allowing Democratic voices on the airwaves without articulating the other side of the coin. Here, he’s just saying it: Fox isn’t helping to elect Republicans, which, it clearly follows, they ought to be doing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...eeds-his-base/
Old 05-22-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:

It is pertaining to a thing on his own website which includes the astute observation
Sanders confused millions of users on social media this week; bizarrely asserting that the United States can only “avoid another Great Depression” if US workers “continue to receive a paycheck.”
Clearly Bernie is demented to think, of all things, that we would need people to sustain a consumer-based economy.

While this is hoseted by "iHeartMedia", Hannity does get a lot of his traction and savwahrfair from being highly visible on Fox.

Last edited by eschereal; 05-22-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Best reply: "Better nip this kind of thinking in the bud. Before you know it, people will be saying really crazy stuff, like 'love your neighbor."
Old 05-22-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
In a very narrow and technical sense the Mueller report does clear the Trump campaign of conspiring with the Russian government, although it was mostly because the Trump campaign were too incompetent to participate in the Russian efforts to interfere in the election. Note that "collusion" was never within the scope of the investigation as it is not a legal term of any significance.

The report does, however, set out over 100 instances of direct interaction by the Russian government and its agents with the Trump campaign with the intent to influence the election. Also note that multiple US intelligence agencies confirmed Russian interference in the election before the Mueller investigation kicked off, and and six close Trump campaign and administration members were indicted and convicted of felony perjury committed to hide interactions with Russia (now minus Flynn, although he'd previous pled guilty to it). Sessions was also going to be investigated for perjuring himself to hide meetings with Russia but simply fired the investigator, and Kushner repeatedly "forgot" to mention his meetings with Russia in his security clearance application (something which is itself a felony).

So anyone genuinely thinking that the Russia thing is a "hoax" has clearly been immersed in the alternative reality that is presented by FoxNews and the rest of the far-right media bubble.
The Mueller report was missing something...oh yeah! a dt deposition. It can't clear anyone of anything