Old 05-22-2020, 01:13 PM

Makes me think of an old Punch cartoon, c. 1970, where a guy is wearing a t-shirt that reads "You're destroying the art of conversation."
Old 05-22-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casparlatete View Post
I don't know how you figure that out; Gopnick is obviously generalising - not writing in the first person about his possessions.
???

Did you even read the essay, especially the paragraph that contains your cite? It is entirely in the first person!

Quote:
And, while I merely like my computer, I love my smartphone. I clutch my phone tight to myself, I hold it in my hand like a talisman - a feeling of panic overcomes me when in a strange city I find I have mislaid it, or that I forgot to bring its charger. But though it has altered the shape of my days and hours, has it really altered the life those days add up to and achieve? No - less than a decade ago I had no smartphone at all, and nothing was significantly different in my life... except for the possession of my phone. I never felt particularly remote from my family. I seemed to get all the email I need. The distribution not just of happiness and sadness in my life, but of all the smaller domestic emotions that small domestic devices are presumably there to assist, existed in exactly the same amounts. I talked to my wife as often, I worried about my kids as much, I was in the same amount of contact, or not, with my friends. It is not merely that I got along fine before I had it, but that I got along in exactly the same way - in precisely the same spirit in days that were shaped along exactly the same lines - save for the fact that I was not, then, consulting my smartphone every five minutes. Like so much modern media technology, it creates a dependency without ever actually addressing a need.
Here's a better quote from that essay.

Quote:
To describe my relationship to my laptop I need the language of affection - I need it, I depend on it, I'm attached to it, I would be bereft without it - more than the language of real necessity. I couldn't do my work without it? Well, I could. I did.

Last edited by Sparky812; 05-22-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

For me, the internet was the major game changer (and very much a net positive). The smartphone was just an extension of that. It replaced the aftermarket GPS in my car and the regular cell phone.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
For me, the internet was the major game changer (and very much a net positive).
Pun intended?
Old 05-22-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I'm speaking as a person who has owned a cell phone, who has never owned a smartphone, and who currently owns neither.
I hate smartphones and I still carry one, just because Google Maps is incredibly useful.

I tried buying a GPS device because I get lost easily, and buying a compass and a mapbook wasn't really working. The device didn't work in a bus because the bus's roof was blocking the view to the satellites. This was specifically designed to work in cars (and not just convertibles). Then I noticed my sister using Google Maps, offline, while driving. A smartphone had the same cost if you get a pre-paid account.

I avoid most apps. I have less than six "optional" apps. No games, and hardly anyone ever calls me on that number. It's basically for emergencies, not getting lost, and I use One Note as a note-taking app. I see no reason to use most forms of social media, and my Facebook usage is basically MSN messenger (which I can only use at home anyway, because I don't have data).

But yes, I see many people using the smartphone like it's a computer, only one you have available all the time. (And less functional. But they seem not to notice.)
Old 05-22-2020, 04:49 PM

I've on very rare occasions thought about getting a smartphone, specifically for emergencies and so I could order pizza while shopping. However aside from the cost, it would almost certainly spend all its time run out of power, left at home, and lost, all simultaneously. I'm talented that way.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:43 PM

begbert2: FWIW, they're actually decent on battery duration. But, yeah, losing one is an expensive proposition, and leaving 'em behind does somewhat inhibit their utility (I've done both!)
Old 05-23-2020, 02:23 AM

Sparky812; A fair cop, I hadn't read it through.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:26 PM

Could I live my life without my smartphone?
- Sure, it would be easy. But I wouldn't be near as productive.

As a result of that increased productivity, do I also use my smartphone as a timewaster?
- Sure, but that's my choice. I do not ever let it interfere with my relationship with my wife and children. When they need my attention, it gets put away.

Do I use my smartphone while I am riding the train, bus, or flying on a plane?
- Sure, I'd rather fill my time with being more productive or just satisfying my curiosity, than chatting with some stranger I have no interest in getting to know.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Do I use my smartphone while I am riding the train, bus, or flying on a plane?
- Sure, I'd rather fill my time with being more productive or just satisfying my curiosity, than chatting with some stranger I have no interest in getting to know.
I would never even think of getting on a train, bus, or plane without bringing something to read; and smartphones haven't changed that.