Old 02-12-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Hell, who does?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
It "works" for New Jersey and, I think, Oregon. Create minimum wage jobs and claim job growth. What a win. /s
Would piss me off in Colorado. We have had threads about this.

It takes more time, and I don't like waiting for some fool to finish a simple job I could have already done and been on my way.

I guess there are plenty that would like it though. I wonder how much it would raise the price of gas?

I see you said It "works", so I guess I should detect sarcasm.

~ One of my first jobs was a pump jockey. Back when you would add a quart of oil, wash the windows and check the air in the tires.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
When John Walker was convicted for selling secrets it turned out he was registered Libertarian. Quite a few political commentators -- left and right -- made a big deal about it. When asked by reporters, the Chair of the Libertarian Party of California quipped, "Yeah, up to now all of our traitors have been Republicans or Democrats." When the FBI interrogation notes were disclosed there was a comment that Walker did not seem to know much about the libertarian philosophy.
So your basic American libertarian, then.

If we're throwing Biden stuff in here, there's his mixing up New Hampshire and Nevada. It's not a big thing in itself, but this is the sort of shit I remember from 2008 that sank his campaign then. Why is anyone surprised he's still doing it?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I think we're all in agreement that the guy who drove through the tent is a stupid asshole, liberal or not.
This happened in Florida. He may not be affiliated.

"Hold my beer"
Old 02-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Would this mean that stations that have 24 hour "pay at the pump" would have to either employ someone all night or turn their pumps off?
Old 02-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post

It takes more time, and I don't like waiting for some fool to finish a simple job I could have already done and been on my way.

I guess there are plenty that would like it though. I wonder how much it would raise the price of gas?

I see you said It "works", so I guess I should detect sarcasm.

~ One of my first jobs was a pump jockey. Back when you would add a quart of oil, wash the windows and check the air in the tires.
I spend some time doing the same. Wasn't (and still am not) a gear head, so I had issues finding the oil on some cars, especially newer models.

I have NJ relatives who would have stated they wouldn't know how to fill their cars if they had to. They would absolutely hate and be lost (initially) if NJ got rid of gas jockeys. I shake my head in dismay. In their defense though, I've seen enough drivers who can't figure out how to handle more than their local gas station display/fill-up. They get lost and frustrated if they are used to Mobil and have to stop at an Exxon.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Hell, who does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
So your basic American libertarian, then.
Here ya go.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Proposed Alabama bill would require men to get vasectomy at age 50 or after third child

For those who won't or don't read the articles, the bill was proposed as a response to Alabama's absolutely horrible abortion bill. It is not a serious proposal. The reason I think it is a stupid idea is that this will be taken way out of context by the right's talking heads. They weaponize this type of statement. It will probably end up having the opposite effect that Rep. Rolanda Hollis, D-Birmingham, is hoping for.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:32 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/u...delegates.html

Democratic party willing to destroy itself to stop anything it actually should promote actually happening.

Great work, you love to see it
Old 02-28-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I believe Sanders is much easier to beat than Biden.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:35 PM

He's running for senate, right?
Old 02-28-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwich View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/u...delegates.html

Democratic party willing to destroy itself to stop anything it actually should promote actually happening.

Great work, you love to see it
Its hard to tell from that article what exactly not handing Sanders the nomination if he has a plurality of votes actually means. If its "We will do everything we can to stop him from getting the nomination in spite of the will of the primary voters" then I agree that its a stupid idea". But if its just, "We will let the process play out according to the rules of a Brokered convention and not just hand it to him." Then I don't see it as a problem (and apparently neither do 75% of dopers.)

I suspect it was the latter.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 02-28-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:06 AM

This seems as good a place as any to pit Schumer's comments at the recent pro choice rally

Quote:
"I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price,"
What exactly was he implying here? Gorsuch and Kavanaugh aren't up for reelection, so a popular uprising against them isn't really going to hurt them that much.

Taken at face value, the only price they could pay for their decision
1) impeachment
2) court packing
3) direct personal threats

All three of which are stupid ideas. Now I don't actually think the Schumer was calling for any of these, I think he was just thinking about the Republican party in general, and lumping Gorsuch and Kavanaugh in with them. But doing so gave fresh ammunition to the Republicans, and ticked off what is probably the deciding vote in the case.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Schumer was quoting Kavanaugh, who said much the same thing during his pissant meltdown before Congress.

https://www.wonkette.com/chuck-schum...-caliber-words
Old 03-05-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Schumer was quoting Kavanaugh, who said much the same thing during his pissant meltdown before Congress.

https://www.wonkette.com/chuck-schum...-caliber-words
Yeah, except that Schumer wasn't actually quoting Kavanaugh, who didn't actually say much the same thing.

Kavanaugh:
Quote:
Democrats had "sowed the wind for decades to come. I fear that the whole country will reap the whirlwind."
Schumer:
Quote:
I want to tell you Gorsuch. I want to tell you Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won't know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.
I won't contest the description of Kavanaugh's statement as a pissant meltdown, but there's a big difference between what he said and what Schumer said. Kavanaugh said that he feared the whole country would pay the price for what Democrats did. It's a drama queen over-reaction with an over-exaggerated sense of victimization, but it's not a threat.

Schumer, in contrast, directly addressed by name two specific individuals and said "you will pay the price. You won't know what hit you..." It's hard to read that as anything other than a direct threat against them.

I think that Schumer was trying to turn Kavanaugh's own words against him, but he mangled it so badly that he wound up threatening two Supreme Court justices.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
I think that Schumer was trying to turn Kavanaugh's own words against him, but he mangled it so badly that he wound up threatening two Supreme Court justices.
Yup.

Schumer says he misspoke in remarks directed at two Supreme Court justices, defends abortion rights
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
“I should not have used the words I used yesterday. They didn’t come out the way I intended them to,” Schumer told Senate colleagues Thursday. “I’m from Brooklyn. We speak in strong language. I shouldn’t have used the words I did, but in no way was I making a threat. I never — never — would do such a thing.”
Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

And there's the biggest difference. When one misspeaks, when one mangles another's words when trying to make a point, one should admit it and apologize. Not double down, not try to turn it back on those criticizing one, just admit one was wrong and apologize. Most of the time, that's what will happen on the left. Compare that to how often it happens on the right (which I'll admit is an occurrence greater than once, but never from the pos in the Oval Office, and nowhere near as often as the left).

And yet far, far too many think that doubling down on one's errors rather than admitting them shows "strength". Fucking morons.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=Buck Godot;22173474
Taken at face value, the only price they could pay for their decision
1) impeachment
2) court packing
[/QUOTE]

Good, let's do it. Democrats and supposed to be the enemy of backwards thinking republican appointed justices.

How did Kavanaugh even end there after his boo hoo being a rapist makes me sad performance.

Liberals hate the idea of even seeming mean to conservatives.

It's stupid.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
Yeah, except that Schumer wasn't actually quoting Kavanaugh, who didn't actually say much the same thing....I think that Schumer was trying to turn Kavanaugh's own words against him, but he mangled it so badly that he wound up threatening two Supreme Court justices.
You’re right. Schumer wanted to quote Kavanaugh, but screwed it up in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, our leading Democratic Senator is — and I hate to say it, because he’s my neighbor here in Brooklyn — a bit of a bumblefuck.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
You’re right. Schumer wanted to quote Kavanaugh, but screwed it up in the wrong direction. Unfortunately, our leading Democratic Senator is — and I hate to say it, because he’s my neighbor here in Brooklyn — a bit of a bumblefuck.
You are being far-too-kind to Chuck "Never Met a Mic He Didn't Like" Schumer*. Step away from the microphone, Chuck. Just step away.

*Schumer was my congressional rep back in the day. Despite making me facepalm every time I heard him talk, even when I agreed with him, he was always the better candidate running in the general election.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:44 PM

WOW! I think we'll agree that MSNBC is liberal, and Boy! Did they go all-in on Stupid!

Nobody expects a news anchor to multiply 34,219 by 17.159 in his head and get six digits accuracy. But surely it's not too much to ask for a very rough grasp of numbers. What's 500 million divided by 250 million? Two? Or is it two million? Gee, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politifact/Twitter
MSNBC anchor Brian Williams aired a tweet during his TV show that said former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, who self-funded his since-suspended presidential campaign, spent so much money on ads that he could have instead delivered every American a fortune.

"Bloomberg spent $500 million on ads," the tweet said. "The U.S. population is 327 million. He could have given each American $1 million and still have money left over. I feel like a $1 million check would be life-changing for most people. Yet he wasted it all on ads and STILL LOST."

"It’s an incredible way of putting it," Williams said after displaying the tweet on screen.

If that sounds too good to be true, it’s because it is. A quick use of a calculator shows that $500 million divided by 327 million people is actually about $1.53 per person.

That’s enough to buy a pack of gum or a Kit Kat bar at CVS, but it’s not breaking the bank.
If you think the stupidity was just a brief mental lapse watch the video and tell me what you think:
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1235808311834021888
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-wasnt-enough/

Williams: "Don't tell us if you're ahead of us on the math ... It’s an incredible way of putting it." Maybe he's being tongue-in-cheek, but if so, why was he playing with his viewers? (A retraction came later.)

A million for every American adds up to over 300 Trillion Dollars. That would be enough to purchase every home in America, every share of stock on every stock exchange in the world, evry bank account and banknote, every bar of gold in every vault, and still have enough left-over to enjoy hookers and blow every day for the next 829,000 centuries. I'm not sure even Bloomberg has that much money altogether.

Last edited by septimus; 03-09-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
If you think the stupidity was just a brief mental lapse watch the video and tell me what you think:
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1235808311834021888
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-wasnt-enough/
Well, that's a shame. I'll speculate that somebody heard that Bloomberg spent over a million dollars per delegate he won, which is certainly true, or maybe over $100 per vote he won, which also seems to be true, and got it garbled. But when you think about how many people had to be involved in getting this from twitter to the monitor on Williams' set, it's just hard to believe that nobody caught the gross error.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Meh - a bunch of talking heads suck at math - not really a shock
Old 03-10-2020, 03:59 AM

This wasn't just some 2nd-string sportscaster in Oshkosh. This was Brian Williams, who in 2015 was paid $10 trillion per year (or was it just $10 million?) to interpret facts for the American people. His accomplice was a member of the N.Y. Times editorial board.

I view it as an example of America's dumbing down. Will a health-care policy cost a billion dollars? A trillion dollars? A quadrillion dollars? Who cares!!

I still wonder, given their grins and "Don't tell us if you're ahead of us on the math," if they knew full well that the stat was nonsense, but went with it anyway because it served a narrative they wanted to promote.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:56 AM

Yeah, that was definitely stupid.

Math is hard.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

A relative quoted the $2 million number to me. Quick math lesson ensued. She's all sorted now.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:21 AM

On that note, from the also liberal trending NPR. Joshua Johnson exclaimed that "In just one week, the number of deaths from the Corona Virus in the US soared from single to double digits!."

Well, yes, going up from 9 to 12 (at the time), does bring it up from single to double digits but I wouldn't call it soaring.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:38 AM

It looks bigger if you go by percentages. That's a 33% increase! Soaring, baby!
Old 05-22-2020, 01:32 PM

Man, there hasn't been a stupid liberal idea since March? With the liberals hell-bent on destroying the country, you'd think there'd be 1000s of stupid ideas since then.

Well, I'd be remiss if I didn't mock liberals too when it happens, so there's this:

“I tell you if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black,” Biden said.

Come on, Joe. Don't try so hard.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:19 PM

So, a bunch of conservatives, that couldn't find a racist at a Klan lynching, think the liberal is a racist? Color, hehe, me surprised!

CMC fnord!

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 05-22-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

That's basically a nicer way of calling black Trump supporters "race traitors", which they kinda are.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Man, there hasn't been a stupid liberal idea since March? With the liberals hell-bent on destroying the country, you'd think there'd be 1000s of stupid ideas since then.

Well, I'd be remiss if I didn't mock liberals too when it happens, so there's this:

“I tell you if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black,” Biden said.

Come on, Joe. Don't try so hard.
Biden gaffed, sure, but the hyperbolic caterwauling in that article really should be toned back to match.

"most arrogant, outrageous comment that I’ve heard in a very long time."? You mean since the last time that Trump opened his mouth?

Once again, it shows how much better liberals are that something like that can get as much traction that it does. If Trump had said the same thing, it wouldn't be the most outrageous thing he said that day, or probably not that hour.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
That's basically a nicer way of calling black Trump supporters "race traitors", which they kinda are.
I see it as more, "If you can't tell the difference between the leopards eat my face party, and the leopards do not eat my face party, then you don't have a face."

Conservatives and their "principles" are very bad for minorities in this country, especially blacks. If there is someone who is in a demographic that is being oppressed, and they support those doing the oppression, then it is a very valid statement to say that they do not have the same values, ideals, or concerns that the bulk of their demographic has. That they are more insulated from the problems and hardships that are foisted upon their community.

I don't know that there is a perfectly civil way to express that sentiment, as it is a sentiment that many will be offended by no matter how it is phrased. It is a sentiment I have seen people accused of having, even without making such a remark.

Maybe better would have been to say, "If you cannot decide between myself and Trump, then you do not have much in common with the black community. You do not share their concerns or their fears, you are not invested in their success, and are insulated from their failures."

Probably still get the whining from Fox Newsies and those to the right that it was such a mean thing to say, but at least it wouldn't be so easily soundbited.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I see it as more, "If you can't tell the difference between the leopards eat my face party, and the leopards do not eat my face party, then you don't have a face."
That as well.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe better would have been to say, "If you cannot decide between myself and Trump, then you do not have much in common with the black community. You do not share their concerns or their fears, you are not invested in their success, and are insulated from their failures."

Probably still get the whining from Fox Newsies and those to the right that it was such a mean thing to say, but at least it wouldn't be so easily soundbited.
This is strange to me. Would you say the same thing to women who voted for Trump - "If you cannot decide between myself and Trump, then you do not have much in common with women"?
Old 05-22-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
This is strange to me. Would you say the same thing to women who voted for Trump - "If you cannot decide between myself and Trump, then you do not have much in common with women"?
There isn't such a disparity in women voters for and against Trump, so obviously it's not the same. At least among white woman voters it was fairly evenly split.

But you would agree, would you not, that if you were a woman that voted for Trump, then you do not have much in common with women who did not vote for Trump? That you could identify concerns that a Hillary voter would have that a Trump voter wouldn't care about?

That our country tends towards racial bias, and therefore, people of color tend to get the worst of it when there is someone who is less than friendly towards diversity in charge means that black people as a group are more negatively effected in general than white women as a group by policies that not just Trump, but conservatives in general promote.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Would you say the same thing to women who voted for Trump - "If you cannot decide between myself and Trump, then you do not have much in common with women"?
Maybe if Trump had a history of enacting (or not enacting) policies regarding women in general, like he does with people of color.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:46 PM

Hey, the "ain't" gives it authenticity.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:49 PM

This thread was created by conservatives to have a counterpart to attack liberals. The whole idea of these things being "stupid" is that it shows how stupid liberals are. There are other threads about Biden's campaign, in order to critique it.

I don't think it's a gaffe. I think it's a safe statement designed to try and energize the base. The only people who would both know about this and be upset by this were already voting Trump anyways, and they statistically are not significant.

The guy has been way too quiet, so I think his moves are calculated.

Last edited by BigT; 05-22-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:49 PM

Biden said something dumb and then apologized for it.

Film at 11.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:51 PM

nm

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-22-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Biden said something dumb and then apologized for it.

Film at 11.
Yep, this. He's not going to stop doing it, either.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
There isn't such a disparity in women voters for and against Trump, so obviously it's not the same. At least among white woman voters it was fairly evenly split.

But you would agree, would you not, that if you were a woman that voted for Trump, then you do not have much in common with women who did not vote for Trump? That you could identify concerns that a Hillary voter would have that a Trump voter wouldn't care about?
Of course I would agree. However, Biden didn't say "If you vote for Trump, you don't have anything in common with black people who don't vote for Trump", he said, to me anyway, that the very essence of being black is removed from those who vote for Trump. Which, in my opinion, is a stupid thing to say, especially coming from a white guy.

Do black Trump voters magically stop being followed around at stores? Do people hold their purses and wallets less close when a black Trump voter gets near them? Do ignorant racists stop to ask black guys who they voted for before murdering them in the street?

I think not.

This is the "stupid liberal idea" thread. It's a stupid Biden idea that a person isn't black if they vote for Trump. And last I checked, Biden is a liberal. Regardless if he apologized or not, it's still a stupid thing to say. I'm glad he apologized, and that apology makes him different from Trump, but it's still stupid.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 PM

Meanwhile, Trump says much, much dumber stuff (sometimes stuff that raises the chance of people dying for really stupid reasons) multiple times a day and never apologizes.

But yes, what Biden said was dumb, and he apologized for it.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-22-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
It baffles me that a woman would vote for Trump. Or that a man would vote for Trump
Old 05-22-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
It baffles me that a woman would vote for Trump. Or that a man would vote for Trump
Does it? There have been numerous threads that spelled out exactly why a man or woman would vote for Trump. Have you not read them?
Old 05-22-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
This thread was created by conservatives to have a counterpart to attack liberals. The whole idea of these things being "stupid" is that it shows how stupid liberals are. There are other threads about Biden's campaign, in order to critique it.

I don't think it's a gaffe. I think it's a safe statement designed to try and energize the base. The only people who would both know about this and be upset by this were already voting Trump anyways, and they statistically are not significant.

The guy has been way too quiet, so I think his moves are calculated.
This reminds me of Trump supporters who insist that Trump's ill-advised tweets or statements are Trump "playing 4-D chess." No, it's often just a brain that didn't have a filter between it and mouth. Occam's razor; the simplest explanation is likely correct.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:23 PM

Biden needs to shut his mouth, put a few ads out there that feature waving flags and apple pie, and usher Trump the fuck out of office. It's OK Joe, if it's done quietly. In fact, it's probably better.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
This.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Does it? There have been numerous threads that spelled out exactly why a man or woman would vote for Trump. Have you not read them?
I read lots of them and I'm still baffled.