Old 04-08-2020, 04:34 PM

The effect of the Coronavirus on crime

What has been (and possibly will be) the effect of COVID 19 on crime?

I would imagine that with people staying at home, there will be fewer 'external' type of crime such as robberies, car theft, and muggings.

But there will be more 'interior' crimes such as domestic violence and child abuse.

These are just my assumptions, has anyone heard facts on this issue?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:42 PM

"Let's order sushi and not pay!"
Old 04-08-2020, 04:47 PM

It might embolden career criminals. Police might have their hands fuller with more tasks than usual, thus preventing them from being able to respond as quickly as before.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Well, the guys who were already in masks don't stick out of the crowd.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:57 PM

There is thought to have been a significant spike in the number of Coronavirus scams, but not sure if that's just scammers retargeting their already existing efforts to Coronavirus or if there are more scam attempts.

I would hazard a guess that there has been an overall uplift of scams because it is something that can be done by people on their computers at home. Using the same logic I'm betting the number of people at home writing computer viruses or hacking into corporate websites is also on the increase.

However I cannot find any evidence this is the case.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:58 PM

Besides having a son who is an EMT, I have a daughter who is NYPD (not humblebragging. Can't help it if the truth sounds so good). She calls me at least once a week (again, not a brag!) to make sure I'm OK and that her brother (who lives in our basement apartment-- see? Not everything is a brag) is staying away from her mother.

She tells me that 40% of her precinct is sick, making her the senior patrol officer on her shift (midnight to 8) with only 4 years on the job (I swear to God, I'm just reporting the truth). She says larceny is way, way down. Almost non-existent. Street crime is also very low. Which is very good news seeing as how they are short on police. However, on Sunday she had two DOAs and another today. This is compared to 2 DOAs in her previous 4 years on the force. Also seeing a sharp increase are EDP calls.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:01 PM

What is an EDP call?
Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 PM

I think it may be a lot easier to get mugged or carjacked if you're out late for some reason. It'd be easy to mug someone right on Ventura Boulevard. Hardly any witnesses.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:09 PM

I've read that this is a domestic violence nightmare. Me personally, the only crime aspect I've noticed is that I can drive 100mph on the highway to work every day and it seems to be not noticed by the cops, who understandably don't want to interact with people unless they have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo Verde View Post
What is an EDP call?
Emotionally Disturbed Person.

And yes, domestic violence calls are also up.

Last edited by Biggirl; 04-08-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
It might embolden career criminals. Police might have their hands fuller with more tasks than usual, thus preventing them from being able to respond as quickly as before.
"Live PD" had a COVID-19 special this past weekend. At least one precinct on there has found capturing career criminals to be easier due to them standing out while law-abiding citizens are mostly staying home.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 04-08-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:35 PM

I work in the field of child abuse, and there are much fewer reports now. But that's not because it isn't happening, but rather that it isn't seen. W depend on the kids being "visible in the community" so that we hear from teachers, neighbors, police, etc. Right now it's all happening behind closed doors.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

In the Bay Area there was a report recently that crime is way down.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:41 AM

This article from USA Today says street crime is way down, but domestic violence is up. "Crime rates plunged in cities and counties across the U.S. over the second half of March as the coronavirus pandemic drove millions of residents to stay inside their homes." "Massive drops in traffic and person stops – as much as 92% in some jurisdictions – helped drive sharp declines in drug offenses and DUIs. Thefts and residential burglaries decreased with fewer stores open and homes unoccupied, and some agencies logged fewer assaults and robberies."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/2939120001/
Old 04-11-2020, 12:36 AM
SDSAB

Better hang onto your van Goghs extra tight, though: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/va...cli/index.html
Old 04-11-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Hasn't been the case in Spain or Italy. In fact, the OP's guess matches our existing data.

Quote:
I work in the field of child abuse, and there are much fewer reports now. But that's not because it isn't happening, but rather that it isn't seen. W depend on the kids being "visible in the community" so that we hear from teachers, neighbors, police, etc. Right now it's all happening behind closed doors.
Several countries have come up with ways to report that involve doing things such as ask for a nonexistent medication at the pharmacy. The Spanish police have received calls from unexpected sources reporting having been asked to do so by abused parties. Lots of stores which normally wouldn't have a guard now do (in case some asshole decides to get stupid about queing or occupancy): while they're not cops, people know that they can call the cops if needed.

Last edited by Nava; 04-11-2020 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:42 AM

I have to interact with the police on a daily basis at work, and I've asked them about this in the Louisville, KY area. They're not making many traffic stops (we're not in a "stay and hunker down" situation. Non-essential businesses close at 8, but there's no curfew or anything). A subdivision recently had several cars broken into, but there was no report taken. CPS is only going out on severe child abuse cases.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:13 PM

This is from the Associated Press:

"In Chicago, one of America's most violent cities, drug arrests have plummeted 42% in the weeks since the city shut down, compared with the same period last year."

"Across Latin America, crime is down to levels unseen in decades."Killings are down, and the gangsters aren't harassing so much,'' Eduardo Perdomo, a 47-year-old construction worker, said while getting off a bus in San Salvador. "I think they're afraid of catching the virus, and they aren't going out.'' El Salvador reported an average of two killings a day last month, down from a peak of 600 a day a few years ago."
Old 04-11-2020, 04:59 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Without giving away any secrets I’ll just say it’s harder to find crime when you’re not looking for it.

Let’s just say that as a supervisor if I hear one of my guys pulling over a car I better get an immediate call telling me that either the car was on fire or the driver was shooting at them. Or both.

Last edited by Loach; 04-11-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Without giving away any secrets Iíll just say itís harder to find crime when youíre not looking for it.

Letís just say that as a supervisor if I hear one of my guys pulling over a car I better get an immediate call telling me that either the car was on fire or the driver was shooting at them. Or both.
Yeah, that's what I am hearing from cops around here. They don't want to advertise that they are being far more lax for fear of opening up a criminal free for all, and publicly they say that they are enforcing the law as they normally would, but this is exactly what they told me that unless there are blood, bombs or dead bodies, everything is on hold, except for domestic violence and child abuse.

I get the jail reports every day so I can see if one of my clients are on it (the courts are hearing bail matters) and DV is about the only misdemeanor charge that the magistrates are even setting cash bail amounts on.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
This is from the Associated Press:

"In Chicago, one of America's most violent cities, drug arrests have plummeted 42% in the weeks since the city shut down, compared with the same period last year."

"Across Latin America, crime is down to levels unseen in decades."Killings are down, and the gangsters aren't harassing so much,'' Eduardo Perdomo, a 47-year-old construction worker, said while getting off a bus in San Salvador. "I think they're afraid of catching the virus, and they aren't going out.'' El Salvador reported an average of two killings a day last month, down from a peak of 600 a day a few years ago."

Do you mean 16 a day? 600 a day would be 217,200 murders a year in a country with about 6.49 mil people.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:52 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Yeah, that's what I am hearing from cops around here. They don't want to advertise that they are being far more lax for fear of opening up a criminal free for all, and publicly they say that they are enforcing the law as they normally would, but this is exactly what they told me that unless there are blood, bombs or dead bodies, everything is on hold, except for domestic violence and child abuse.

I get the jail reports every day so I can see if one of my clients are on it (the courts are hearing bail matters) and DV is about the only misdemeanor charge that the magistrates are even setting cash bail amounts on.
Other than trying to not expose ourselves on calls we have also lengthened the number of days off between tours and made squads smaller to lessen the impact of anyone going on quarantine. We are spread thin.

As the night shift we are doing a lot of presence patrols. Making sure we are seen on the backroads and neighborhoods. Itís a normal suburban of 60,000 and we want to show the residents we are still watching out. I have not noticed a big increase in domestic violence but I hear there was a serious incident there now.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Other than trying to not expose ourselves on calls we have also lengthened the number of days off between tours and made squads smaller to lessen the impact of anyone going on quarantine. We are spread thin.

As the night shift we are doing a lot of presence patrols. Making sure we are seen on the backroads and neighborhoods. Itís a normal suburban of 60,000 and we want to show the residents we are still watching out. I have not noticed a big increase in domestic violence but I hear there was a serious incident there now.
Yeah, I haven't seen an increase in DVs. If anything a slight decrease. I have no cites and this is just a WAG, but most people arrested for DV have been in the system before and know how it works.

In normal times, you can pick a fight with your spouse knowing that you can grab the keys and go to a buddy's house or a hotel or to a bar for a couple of hours. You cannot do that with the lockdown, so you try to just go to separate rooms and make the best of it.

Likewise, a person that gets "police happy" over minor pushing and shoving will think twice about calling the police knowing that she will expose her spouse to Covid-19 when he is in the lockup overnight and bring it home to her when she attempts to drop the charges (and 95% of the time, they attempt to drop the charges).

And, I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but in my experience, probably 19 out of 20 DV cases are complete bullshit. One or both of the parties are drunk and they get into a screaming match over something and one gets in the other's face and says something provocative which the other responds with a push or a slap. That's certainly not cool, but the person assaulted is not the traditional "battered spouse" we see on the news. They are completely free to leave when they want or go file for divorce if they choose. But they now have another chip that they can use and get the other person arrested (and this happens to men and women) either out of spite or to lay the foundation for a future divorce action.

In these times where that means exposing the person to Covid-19, these people tend to not be so aggressive.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:25 PM

Well, Utah has seen a sharp increase in DV calls.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:08 AM
SDSAB

Here's the AP on the pandemic-related overall drop in crime worldwide: https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...side/23975672/
Old 04-12-2020, 02:41 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I have no doubt some areas have an uptick in domestic violence calls but that cite basically says went to a meeting and someone said something. With no numbers or background thatís meaningless. What do they mean by domestic violence? Are they lumping in calls that are investigated and unfounded as crimes? Do they include verbal domestic disturbances? Is it just the impression 911 operators are getting from their call volume? Someone can take the time and do a true statistical analysis but that ainít it.

As of less than 2 weeks ago the NYPD has not shown an increase of DV reports to the point that the commissioner was concerned victims are not calling for help. Things may have changed in 12 days. The NYPD has led the nation in statistical analysis of crime.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyd...outputType=amp
Old 04-12-2020, 04:30 PM

I expect the nation's drug dealers are in a bind. I've no idea how it works anymore, but their must still be far too many personal meetups. Could they now be a dying breed?
Old 04-12-2020, 04:35 PM

Had four shootings the past two days. Which is about normal.

In my neighborhood, car break-ins are way up.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:57 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuse View Post
Had four shootings the past two days. Which is about normal.

In my neighborhood, car break-ins are way up.
We had a bunch of car break-ins when the quarantine started. They were all in one area and I suspect from one or two guys. Not much since.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:01 PM

I've read that its killing the New York mafia, as many of the businesses that they have their hand in are closed.

The Italian mafia, the version that is actually in Italy on the other hand is working on several scams to cash in on it.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:11 PM

Everything I've read is that crime & air pollution are both way down.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:18 PM

Mass killings are so rare that it is hard to really talk about a trend. We commonly say the US suffers one about every week. I have seen no change in that.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 04-12-2020, 11:01 PM

Oddly, I've noticed a lot of people driving as if they've just seen a cop in the rearview, when there's no cop in sight. Traffic is finally light enough that you can exceed the speed limit even at rush hour, but people are staying way under it. People aren't even honking at the person in front of them who failed to notice the light turned green.

A Facebook friend of mine who lives in San Francisco posted today that she's temporarily moving to her mother's house here in LA because she doesn't feel safe. She lives in a nice neighborhood but has been followed and even chased near her home in broad daylight. She is Asian and didn't bring up the racial angle; when asked she said she wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it or if those folks were just feeling emboldened by the empty streets.

LA's streets aren't empty. If someone tried something here, there would probably be witnesses.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:05 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I've put my mask to optimum use by taking up bank robbery.

Some burglars hit a local business last night despite an 11pm-3am curfew for Easter weekend.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 04-13-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Speeding evidently is up.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:52 PM

Well, the virus has laid a big hit on illegal drugs and drug criminals. Interesting, the article notes that a lot of these drugs came from China, and from Wuhan in particular.

Last edited by Velocity; 04-19-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Well, the virus has laid a big hit on illegal drugs and drug criminals. Interesting, the article notes that a lot of these drugs came from China, and from Wuhan in particular.
Beware CT! So the release of SARS-CoV-2 by the Wuhan lab was a tool to hurt or kill the local drug trade? Maybe because the lab wasn't getting its cut of the profits? How will this work out long-term for global drug trafficking? Will prices rise when lockdowns end?
Old 05-11-2020, 07:48 PM

I can't find it now but a couple days ago I read an article about gun violence in Chicago being just as high although LA and NY had decreased.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:39 AM

Robocalls are down. It turns out that scammers have to go to call centers that are now locked down, particularly in overseas countries. They're predicting that scam calls will come back in force after the lockdown is lifted with so many people out of work. There will be many more debt collector calls, while not technically scammers, they're hassling calls that have gone down during the pandemic.

Coronavirus pandemic claims another victim: Robocalls

Quote:
YouMail, which offers a robocall-blocking service, says 2.9 billion robocalls were placed in April in the U.S., down from 4.1 billion in March and 4.8 billion in February. Thatís a daily average of 97 million calls in April, down from 132 million in March and 166 million in April.

The main reason: many global call centers have closed or are operating with fewer workers, said YouMail CEO Alex Quilici. While it may be odd to think of scams being run out of call centers rather than a dark, creepy basement or a garage, that's often the case, particularly in countries such as India and the Philippines, experts said.

After a lockdown order went into effect in India in late March, ďwe saw the volume of calls basically half the next day,Ē Quilici said.
*I'm not sure if this should be in the crime thread since some robocalls aren't illegal, but this is the closest thread I could find that this fit, and it definitely doesn't warrant its own thread.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:40 PM

I don't think I personally have experienced less volume of unsolicited phone calls. Caller IDs of "800 Service", random places near where I live instead of a name, "Name Unavailable" and "Private Caller" haven't seemed to slow down much.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:28 AM

Bottle shop sales up, but D&D and DUI way down. I guess people are getting drunk at home.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:35 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Vandalism has spiked in our Chinatown.