Old 04-18-2020, 06:57 PM

Some Good news!

Plácido Domingo is home and doing ok.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...virus-recovery
Quote:
Opera singer Plácido Domingo, who was diagnosed with COVID-19, says he is at home and feeling “fine.”

“Fortunately from the very first symptom I was, as usual, under medical supervision, given my age and my comorbidity, therefore the COVID 19 infection was immediately suspected and this helped me a lot,” the 79-year old wrote in a statement posted Monday on social media.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Broadway actor Nick Cordero has been in the hospital for 2 weeks treating Coronavirus. He's developed a blood clot in his leg. It was amputated.

Nick is a pretty young guy. He was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical and the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical.

I hope he recovers and resumes his career in musical theatre.
You don't hear much about secondary complications with Coronavirus. Blood clots are always a concern during bed rest.
https://variety.com/2020/legit/news/...234584242/amp/
My bold.

Unfortunately, blood clots seem to be yet another heretofore unexpected secondary complicaton with COVID. Above and beyond the blood clot risk that is expected with bed rest and inactivity in general (e.g., long plane rides).

Why are so many COVID-19 patients also seeing blood clots?
Quote:
As the COVID-19 pandemic ravages a world still grappling with vast uncertainty over the virus, a new and unnerving pattern has emerged in some patients.

Though novel coronavirus symptoms thus far have presented chiefly within the respiratory system, the infection is swiftly showing to be an all-out, system-wide assault that reaches far past the lungs. Doctors in hot spots across the globe have begun to report an unexpected prevalence of blood clotting among COVID cases, in what could pose a perfect storm of potentially fatal risk factors.

It's growing so common with severe COVID cases, doctors are recognizing it as a new pattern of clotting called COVID-19-associated coagulopathy, or CAC, which is notably associated with high inflammatory markers in the blood, like D-dimer and fibrinogen.

In Spain, among the hardest-hit nations, clotting cases have become so prevalent in novel coronavirus patients that doctors have begun routinely treating individuals with therapeutic doses of anticoagulation medication.

Panhwar [Dr. Siyab Panhwar, a cardiovascular consultant] shared a story of a patient who was nearly discharged before additional symptoms were discovered, adding: "We're seeing really swift decompensation for patients with severe symptoms."

"About 40 years old, she was going to self-quarantine, she was walking out the door, and she went into sudden respiratory arrest," Panhwar continued. "She was intubated and coded in a matter of 30 minutes. So when that happens, our suspicion of pulmonary embolism is very, very high. But without screening for it, we can't know for sure."

"It can happen so quickly. It can be very traumatic. This disease is unlike anything we've seen," he added.

But even screening for clots amid the current threat of infection presents additional difficulties: Every surface of full-body CT scan machines must be wiped down, thoroughly, which requires additional resources and takes more than an hour. It's yet another clog in the system.

"It's really like the Wild West," Panhwar said. "We're in uncharted territory."
My bold.

"Unlike anything we've seen" "Wild West"... "Uncharted territory"... combined with the ease of transmission by asymptomatic people... and further complicated by people who believe prudent distancing requirements and simple measures like masks are too much to ask. Yeah, a perfect storm.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:14 PM

Marianne Faithfull has been discharged from the hospital after a 22-day battle with coronavirus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

Her hit As Tears Go By seems even more poignant now.
https://youtu.be/-efIjZ_1yQg

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-22-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:22 PM

Remember Siegfried & Roy? The Vegas magicians with a tiger act?

Roy Horn's tiger Mantecore dragged him off stage and nearly killed him in 2003.

Coronavirus is trying to finish the job.

Roy is 75 and still dealing with the stroke after the tiger attack caused severe blood loss.

His partner Siegfried is 80 and is not currently ill from Coronavirus.
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ry?id=70389869

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-28-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Broadway actor Nick Cordero has been in the hospital for 2 weeks treating Coronavirus. He's developed a blood clot in his leg. It was amputated.
I hope he recovers and resumes his career in musical theatre.
But he probably won't.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Damn. That does not look good. Damn.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:34 AM

Nick Cordero has been through Coronavirus hell. It's amazing that he's still alive.

I'm concerned his lungs will never fully recover. It's going to be very difficult resuming a career in musical theatre.

Right now just surviving Coronavirus is his biggest challenge.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:48 PM

Roy Horn has died of Covid-19.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/us/ro...ies/index.html
Quote:
Roy Horn, one-half of the popular Las Vegas animal and magic act Siegfried and Roy, died Friday of complications from the coronavirus, according to his publicist. He was 75.
Quote:
"Roy was a fighter his whole life including during these final days," Fischbacher said in a statement. "I give my heartfelt appreciation to the team of doctors, nurses and staff at Mountain View Hospital who worked heroically against this insidious virus that ultimately took Roy's life."

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-09-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:39 PM

I don't know if he was well-known in Japan, but a 28-year-old Sumo wrestler has died.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Cordero has come out of his medically induced coma, but sounds barely responsive.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ovid-1.5567463
We will come through this pandemic. Hang on tight to the ones you love.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Surely the biggest celebrity to die of COVID-19 has to be Paul Vasquez, who of course everyone will recognize as the guy who was really happy to see a double rainbow.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:55 PM

I'm not familiar with the current metal bands. Wikipedia reports that Death Angel has released 9 albums. They are well known in the thrash metal genre.

Coronavirus could have wiped out members of three thrash metal bands. Several members of these bands got it. Death Angels drummer Will Carroll nearly died. He was on a ventilator for two weeks and suffered a heart attack. He's very lucky to have recovered.

I had to select three short quotes to summarize what happened to members of three bands.

Covid screwed up several musicians on the same tour.

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/mus...-escaping-hell
Quote:
Before Carroll became a canary in the coal mine for the seriousness of coronavirus, Death Angel was on a career high. The band’s monthlong European tour, called Bay Strikes Back, began as a victory lap for three of the Bay Area’s biggest thrash-metal bands: Death Angel, Testament and Exodus. All three formed in the ’80s and had reasons to celebrate, from Death Angel’s recent Grammy nomination for best metal performance — its first — to guitarist Gary Holt’s return to Exodus after a stint in Slayer, to the mid-tour release of Testament’s 13th album, “Titans of Creation.”
Quote:
Death Angel bassist Damien Sisson and guitarist Rob Cavestany felt coronavirus symptoms that lasted after coming home. After the tour, several band and crew members of Testament, including singer Chuck Billy and his wife and bassist Steve Di Giorgio, tested positive. Exodus guitarist Holt also contracted the virus. All have since recovered.

Carroll said the virus hit him on the plane ride back to the Bay Area.
Quote:
Carroll stayed comatose in intensive care for nearly two weeks, mostly in critical condition. He was the worst of four patients who were in critical condition because of COVID-19, said Dr. George Horng, a pulmonologist. Carroll’s heart failed during the first few days because the medication needed to keep him on a ventilator was so taxing on his body.

“He still was near the limits of what we could do with our supportive care, and we were very worried about him,” Horng said. “

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-21-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:27 PM

It's surprising more touring bands weren't wiped out by Covid-19. They're out there on the road working hard. It took a few weeks for the world to grasp that a deadly pandemic had begun. The music tours had to be shut down practically over night. Hundred and hundreds of working musicians & stage crew were out there potentially exposed and mingling with fans.

We did lose Joe Diffie and John Prine. It could have been so much worse.

They're trying to figure out a safe way to tour again. Keith Urban held a benefit concert at a drive-in theater in Nashville. Everyone stayed in there cars.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-21-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:04 AM

In one sense you could call him a TV celebrity:
Quote:
Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing has tested positive for the coronavirus, the school announced Friday. The Hall of Famer is under care and isolated at a local hospital.

"I want to share that I have tested positive for COVID-19. This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly," Ewing said in a statement. "I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Now more than ever, I want to thank the health care workers and everyone on the front lines. I'll be fine, and we will all get through this."
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ve-coronavirus