Old 05-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

When and Why Did Copper Become the Magic Bullet?

I swear, you can't turn around anymore without hearing about how this joint brace with copper improves your arthritis or that back brace made with copper improves posture and reduces back pain or those socks made with copper will stink less, as if a wrist brace or back brace made without copper wouldn't do the same and I've never heard that copper made a difference to sweat stink.

And now they're advertising "copper-infused reusable face masks", as if the copper is going to make a difference in how much the mask can protect you (or others) from COVID-19.

WTAF, people?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:45 PM

Metallic Copper as an Antimicrobial Surface

Quote:
Bacteria, yeasts, and viruses are rapidly killed on metallic copper surfaces, and the term “contact killing” has been coined for this process. While the phenomenon was already known in ancient times, it is currently receiving renewed attention.
Short answer, millennia ago.

ETA: Longer answer. I'd have to see some actual lab data testing the effectiveness of "infused" products. And improved posture and whatnot are pure snake oil claims.

Last edited by Projammer; 05-22-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Huh. Well how about that, there's some reason for the socks and the masks. Thank you.

I still have a hard time believing it'd make a difference to your joints or muscles when made part of a brace, but I'm willing to learn different.

And here I thought people were just using it as a form of handwavium.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 PM

I'm using copper ions to kill stinkhorn fungus in my garden. It also seems to have the off-label effect of repelling hippopotamuses, because I haven't seen any.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...-fungicide.htm

Last edited by Riemann; 05-22-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I misread the thread title as a literal magic bullet and I was like, aren't they supposedly still silver?
Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I misread the thread title as a literal magic bullet and I was like, aren't they supposedly still silver?
Actually, copper bullets really are a thing. Lead bullets have been having a detrimental environmental impact for years and they initially got rid of it for shooting over water primarily in waterfowl shot and now copper bullets are gaining in popularity as lead is basically banned in California and other states are following suit.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Metallic Copper as an Antimicrobial Surface

Short answer, millennia ago.

ETA: Longer answer. I'd have to see some actual lab data testing the effectiveness of "infused" products. And improved posture and whatnot are pure snake oil claims.
Do you think there’s some way to get that inside the human body? Maybe some sort of powerful light or injection?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
how this joint brace with copper improves your arthritis
Copper bracelets as arthritis "therapy" have been used for decades. It's a placebo effect.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 AM

There is some commercial right now (maybe for face masks?) that keeps repeating "with the properties of copper!" It never says what any of these properties are. I figure they mean the masks are malleable, ductile, and conductive.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Do you think there’s some way to get that inside the human body? Maybe some sort of powerful light or injection?
I have little doubt that a light, soft metal in constant contact with the skin will wear down and be absorbed into the body. I expect that amount will be measurable in parts per trillion. I would bet against that amount being effective even if a larger concentration would be beneficial.

That's one of those things I leave to people with PhD's after their name to determine.

As nearwildheaven stated, it's all a placebo effect.

OTOH, the placebo effect is strong medicine. The danger is when it's deceptive and the underlying condition is being ignored or masked.

Last edited by Projammer; 05-23-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Actually, copper bullets really are a thing. Lead bullets have been having a detrimental environmental impact for years and they initially got rid of it for shooting over water primarily in waterfowl shot and now copper bullets are gaining in popularity as lead is basically banned in California and other states are following suit.
The ricochet characteristics are different though, and for that reason they are not allowed on ranges here.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Copper bracelets as arthritis "therapy" have been used for decades. It's a placebo effect.
Didn't the fad fade once? It was huge around 20 years ago, but I have a heavy copper bracelet (bought enrirely as a pretty cool item, not a therapy) that retailed for around $20 or so that cost around $1.00 on closeout after they sold like lead ballons at the trailing end of the fad. (The lead ballon fad having passed long before that.)
Old 05-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
There is some commercial right now (maybe for face masks?) that keeps repeating "with the properties of copper!" It never says what any of these properties are. I figure they mean the masks are malleable, ductile, and conductive.
Yeah, they're clearly counting on gullible, woo-loving people knowing the magical "properties" of copper, which they don't describe so they don't wind up with a cease-and-desist letter.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
And actually, silver has some use in preventing infection.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:35 PM

From 1970

Lucy tells Snoopy his copper bracelet is medically unsound. It's the first in a series of cartoons resulting with Snoopy having to go to the vet
Old 05-23-2020, 01:54 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We recently bought a new mattress, and the salesman was telling my husband how there was copper in the cover and it would help his back pain. Well, that and the 10+ hour spinal surgery he had last week.

We did buy the mattress and it's actually quite comfy, but it was all we could do to not roll our eyes at the salesguy.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:00 PM

Yeah, and you have copper in your blood, in ceruloplasmin.

Wilson's Disease is the excessive accumulation of copper in the body and if it can't be treated by chelation therapy, the patient gets bumped to the top of the liver transplant list.

If any metal does benefit arthritis, it's gold, and oral and injectable gold preparations have been used to treat rheumatoid arthritis. They are rarely used nowadays because modern drugs (like hydroxychloroquine, for instance) usually work much better.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Ooooh! Copper and silver!

As a young'n, I had a copper and silver neckchain. Looked vaguely like a bunch of really heavy and thick paper clips. Wearing it is what made me immortal.

Actually, as cool as it looked to me at the time, all it really did was turn my neck green and give me a rash. SIGH
Old 05-23-2020, 06:48 PM

There've been a ton of copper-containing products marketed for athletes and others with stress injuries and/or osteoarthritis, with very little in the way of scientific backing. So it's not surprising that in the new wave of hucksters seeking to monetize the pandemic, we'd be seeing a bunch of "copper-infused" face masks, none of which seem to have undergone rigorous clinical testing.

I found one Pub Med study suggesting a copper-containing respiratory mask (N95-type) was effective in a small trial against influenza viruses (the study was funded by the mask company). A review article suggests that hospitals could cut down on spread of pathogens in general by incorporating copper into doorknobs and other surfaces. So the idea of using copper isn't crazy, but it's a stretch to imagine that every product hitting the market will show significant effectiveness.

Silver compounds have been used for years to combat infection, but that's another arena in which woo predominates these days. Companies are targeting consumers with colloidal silver products, and the FDA has noticed. Expect more warning letters of dubious effectiveness to go out to copper mask sellers. Whoops, here's someone the FDA has reached out and touched (that warning apparently involves hand sanitizer/soap).

Last edited by Jackmannii; 05-23-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Offer yourself for target practice?

Dan
Old 05-23-2020, 07:02 PM

Huh, I guess we need copper to fix the FDA links, can't get them to work.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:17 PM

Google is copper plated now?

WARNING LETTER
Gaia's Whole Healing Essentials, LLC

WARNING LETTER
Copper Touch, LLC

Last edited by Projammer; 05-23-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:37 PM

If those are the socks I think you're talking about, aren't they compression socks? So even if the whole copper thing is bullshit, they would have some benefits.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

I think a new field of study, perhaps critically important these days, is going to be tracing the spread and origin of these memes.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:17 PM

I suspect that the green color caused by copper jewelry made people think it had some kind of benefit.