Old 11-27-2019, 09:39 AM
SDSAB

Flying lessons offered. Taking off: $5. Landing: $50.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Flying lessons offered. Taking off: $5. Landing: $50.
That sounds about right, actually. Taking off is easy. (Hey, even I can do that all by myself, with minimal coaching from a RealPilot™. Landing takes a bit more training and practice. I need a little more than minimal coaching to do that.

Taking off is always optional. Landing never is.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Here's another fella putting out interesting videos with this one featuring the Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI that the prototype was built in 1916. Largest bomber in the world until the end of WW2. Interesting design but not many built thank goodness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNLquGrDQNY
Old 12-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

17-Year-Old Girl Arrested After Allegedly Stealing Plane, Crashing It Into Fence at Airport in Fresno

I wouldn't exactly call a King Air 'small', as it is described in the article; but KTLA did a better job than The L.A. Times, which described the Beechcraft as having 'two seats'. (I think someone was confused, and meant to write 'two engines'.)
Old 12-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
... but KTLA did a better job than The L.A. Times, which described the Beechcraft as having 'two seats'...
Well, they're technically correct (the best kind of correct!) in that a King Air does have two seats. It just also happens to have a few more in back.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:05 PM

I did enjoy this video from the cockpit of a helicopter with "engine failure" in the mountains so thought I'd share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KayzJetqnrI
Old 02-10-2020, 09:37 PM
SDSAB

CNN: British Airways smashes record for quickest subsonic flight from New York to London: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/b...gbr/index.html
Old 02-18-2020, 11:00 PM
SDSAB

Own a piece of the first Airbus A380 to be retired: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...tag/index.html
Old 03-18-2020, 07:26 PM
SDSAB

The real cost of bailing out the airlines due to pandemic-related losses (and their own bad business practices): https://www.chicagobusiness.com/joe-...icle9-headline
Old 03-19-2020, 07:37 AM

I haven't flown in 20+ years, but ... I was recently looking at an ILS approach plate. Have NDBs and outer markers gone away? The outer marker (FAF?) appears to have been replaced by an intersection defined by a DME/localizer fix. Can a GPS be used? The plate doesn't have a procedure turn depicted. Are they now passe as well?

Separately: Where can one purchase recently outdated charts like sectionals and WACs for non-avation use? The set I have are early 90s and I'd like something that is less than five years old. I'd like the complete US. Europe would be nice, too.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizerta View Post
I haven't flown in 20+ years, but ... I was recently looking at an ILS approach plate. Have NDBs and outer markers gone away? The outer marker (FAF?) appears to have been replaced by an intersection defined by a DME/localizer fix. Can a GPS be used? The plate doesn't have a procedure turn depicted. Are they now passe as well?
No, they're still around. I used one today, although we identify them by GPS. In my jet we don't listen to the audio or see the lights flash. The FAA has been phasing out some NDBs and VORs, though some will be with us for the foreseeable future.

I was saying to my partner yesterday that it's amazing how GPS has changed flying in a very short period of time. When I learned to fly 20 years ago GPS existed, but wasn't being widely used. My IFR checkride was with round dials an NDB holds (in a f^$%$ing crosswind!). Within 5 years I had to become proficient with various GPS procedures, approaches, understand how WAAS affected operations... It all seemed to happen very quickly.

Government that works: the FAA. I hate to say it, because I can complain about the FAA as well as anyone. But they did that very fast, and very effectively. Today in my bizjet we pretty much never reference raw VOR / NDB data except on approaches. And even then, it's mostly backing up GPS data and our glass panel avionics. Amazing time we live in.

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 03-19-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:00 AM

Quote:
The real cost of bailing out the airlines due to pandemic-related losses (and their own bad business practices): https://www.chicagobusiness.com/joe-...icle9-headline
I work for essentially the only airline in the country (there are others but they are foreign entities and therefore not about to get help from our government). They had a $1,000,000,000 "war chest" of cash in the bank, but with 85% of international services suspended and a large number of domestic services as well, that cash will only last a few months at best. We have a very strong balance sheet but it's not enough for the current crisis. We are also concerned that the bounce back will be slow and are planning on operating at 20% less capacity for the medium term. Redundancies are well and truly on the cards .
Old 03-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
No, they [outer markers]'re still around. I used one today, although we identify them by GPS. In my jet we don't listen to the audio or see the lights flash. The FAA has been phasing out some NDBs and VORs, though some will be with us for the foreseeable future. ...
Let me rephrase: do they still have the 75mHz markers about 5 miles from the threshold that makes the blue light flash and the audio. In looking at some local approach plates, BOS has no beacons for 4R or 33L, but MHT does have a middle-marker and inner-marker for runway 35.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

As everyone knows, the border with Canada is closed to non-essential crossings. This is a problem for a little piece of land called Point Roberts. Point Roberts is a little piece of the Tsawwassen Penensula that hangs down below the 49th Parallel. They have a couple of gas stations, a grocery store, and a bunch of shipping stores.

Here's the thing: To drive to the mainland, people have to drive through Canada. Canada says, 'You have a grocery store. You have the essentials. You may not enter Canada.' There are two other ways to get to the mainland: By boat or by air. Point Roberts has a marina, and a grass airstrip (1RL).

If I had an airplane (or better yet, a helicopter ), I'd volunteer to fly things such as prescriptions and medical supplies to them (I'd have to be absolutely sure a person isn't infected before I'd carry a passenger.) Anyway, here is a case where General Aviation might help out.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Let me rephrase: do they still have the 75mHz markers about 5 miles from the threshold that makes the blue light flash and the audio. In looking at some local approach plates, BOS has no beacons for 4R or 33L, but MHT does have a middle-marker and inner-marker for runway 35.
I think so, but we don't really take note of them anymore. The distance fix they provide is done better through GPS and moving maps.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
... Point Roberts ...
Getting a bit off-topic here, but there is a hunk of USA in Lake of the Woods, MN, that has a similar problem. Campobello Island, New Brunswick, is connected by bridge to Maine, but one must take two ferries to get to mainland Canada. Does Point Roberts have ferry service to the mainland?
Old 03-24-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does Point Roberts have ferry service to the mainland?
Nope. Up 'til now, people just drove 24 miles through Canada.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Separately: Where can one purchase recently outdated charts like sectionals and WACs for non-avation use? The set I have are early 90s and I'd like something that is less than five years old. I'd like the complete US. Europe would be nice, too.
WACs have been gone for many years now, the only place you'd find one would be eBay or something like that. There might be a couple laying around some airport somewhere, but I doubt it. I suppose it's possible there's some digital copies out there that could be printed, but I wouldn't know where.

The Sectionals are now printed by private companies, you can see who prints them here. I don't know how much they cost though. On a quick look through I can't see how to get individual charts though. You might be better off getting a planning chart as those aren't too expensive and one seems to cover the entire US.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:00 PM
SDSAB

An ultralight flies inside the Seattle Kingdome, 1981: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqteDXb3Yk
Old 05-22-2020, 04:09 PM
SDSAB

Who says NASA engineers have no sense of humor?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttl...ting_point.JPG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle_Carrier_Aircraft
Old 05-23-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I get the first link but what is humorous about the second?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:52 PM
SDSAB

It's the article that the first link is drawn from.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
It's the article that the first link is drawn from.
OK, that makes sense.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:48 PM
SDSAB

The US Navy just successfully tested a laser weapon that can destroy aircraft mid-flight: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/asia/...cli/index.html
Old Today, 09:00 AM
SDSAB

For your favorite gutsy pilot: https://www.cafepress.com/aerosavvy.2024281018