Old 05-23-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Opening churches could backfire on him biggly. He may kill a lot of his supporters.
True, but the churches should still stay closed.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Speaking of nicknames, here’s one for Trump’s press secretary: “Mouth of Trump”
She once had a name, but she's forgotten it.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
True, but the churches should still stay closed.
Of course. I certainly don't wish harm on anyone. But large groups of completely unnecessary gatherings should stay home. That includes also sports and concerts and religious gatherings. Funerals too. My Wife's brother died 5 weeks ago (not COVID related, but unexpected). It's rough on her to not to travel to see family.

We'll have a get together maybe next summer and celebrate his life. Flexibility is key in everything you do. Everything.

We'll get it figured out. Driving deeper into a flooded road is rarely a good solution.

If Trump is at the wheel. I'm gonna do my very best to take the keys from him. That child needs a McDonalds and a nap.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
True. Anyone who is declaring their belief in racial superiority is inevitably a counter-example of it.
Relevant panel from Preacher.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
As the election nears, I think it's time for all those who despise Trump to settle on a consistent nickname for him. Really, drive the same phrase home for six months, over, over, and over. And over again. You can't do that when people are using close to dozen assorted variations.

Dim Donald.

Simple, alliterative, hard to forget, and not nearly as nasty as it could be (a feature not a bug).

Dim Donald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
“Dim” is too kind. Like Rex Tillerson said in a Pentagon meeting, Trump is a fucking moron.

Personally, I’m partial to COVID-45.
I like shitloads of different versions (while occasinally falling back on my Russian one) but if I had to go for a universally-agreed-upon one it would have to be Jon Stewart's Fuckface Von Clownstick, or if it had to be shorter: DOTUS.

Curious if Tillerson came up with any (unreported) others.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
I like shitloads of different versions (while occasinally falling back on my Russian one) but if I had to go for a universally-agreed-upon one it would have to be Jon Stewart's Fuckface Von Clownstick, or if it had to be shorter: DOTUS.

Curious if Tillerson came up with any (unreported) others.
I'm still partial to "Cheeto-faced Shitgibbon"
Old 05-24-2020, 07:18 PM

As a person of... extended size... I should be offended by jabs at his looks, but I'm not and I'm partial to one I've heard lately: President Plump.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I’ve seen some plump in my time, and what that boy is ain’t “plump.”
Old 05-25-2020, 12:06 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

I still prefer "Special Needs Caligula", but that's just me.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:31 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I'm still partial to "Cheeto-faced Shitgibbon"
I tend to use the acronym CFSG, which seems to be a fairly common usage (at any rate, it's been quite a while since I've been asked to explain it.

I actually prefer "King Cannot." It's more than a tad obscure, but it pairs well with his second-in-command, the White Nought.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:34 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Twitler is at it again! And, of course, he is showing is true colors:

Quote:
Trump shares sexist tweets calling Hillary Clinton a 'skank' and insulting prominent Democrats

Mind you, this is the same individual who, when reporters ask him legitimate questions, yells at them and says they are "very rude".
Old 05-25-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
As a person of... extended size... I should be offended by jabs at his looks, but I'm not and I'm partial to one I've heard lately: President Plump.
I settled on Donny Two-scoops because it didn't comment on his size, because that can happen to anyone, or his make-up choices, even though it points out his vanity, but rather his view on life: I got mine so fuck the rest of you chumps.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:30 AM

Why be cute? He's the scum of the earth in every way. "Nazi-supporting rapist" is more fitting.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Skeleteena has buyer's remorse.

Ann Coulter Turns on ‘Disloyal Actual Retard’ Trump in Twitter Rant
Old 05-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Never would have predicted that she would turn on Trump.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:00 PM

How about Donald Dick and his veep, Mikey Mouse?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Never would have predicted that she would turn on Trump.
Rats become cannibalistic when the food runs out.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM

Ann Coulter is a business woman. She says whatever she needs to say to create controversy, get attention, and make money. She has no loyalties to anyone. I used to love her back when I was an xtian.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:38 PM
Elephant Whisperer

If the (Democratic) governor of North Carolina cannot immediately guarantee that the site will be filled to capacity, then Chump is threatening to move this summer's Republican convention to elsewhere.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMysteryWriter View Post
Ann Coulter is a business woman. She says whatever she needs to say to create controversy, get attention, and make money. She has no loyalties to anyone. I used to love her back when I was an xtian.
No, she's really a white supremacist. She could do all the things you say without being a nazi. Nazis don't fling out "14!" to get attention, they do it because they're nazis.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
No, she's really a white supremacist. She could do all the things you say without being a nazi. Nazis don't fling out "14!" to get attention, they do it because they're nazis.
That makes sense. I tend to think of her as someone who doesn't really care and is just in it for a buck. But a nice person who was anti-nazi wouldn't be out there spouting nazi talking points. So it probably doesn't matter how strongly she feels ideologically as long as she talks and acts just like one. And for all I know she has deep seething hatred and contempt for anyone who isn't a white, cis-straight male. But it wouldn't practically matter if she doesn't really care and just thinks it's all a joke. You could still call her a white supremacist and be correct due to her platform.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:07 PM

Please to explain. What is this, "fling out '14!'"?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:14 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Please to explain. What is this, "fling out '14!'"?
14 Words
Quote:
"14 Words" is a reference to the most popular white supremacist slogan in the world: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children." The slogan was coined by David Lane, a member of the white supremacist terrorist group known as The Order (Lane died in prison in 2007). The term reflects the primary white supremacist worldview in the late 20th and early 21st centuries: that unless immediate action is taken, the white race is doomed to extinction by an alleged "rising tide of color" purportedly controlled and manipulated by Jews.

Because of its widespread popularity, white supremacists reference this slogan constantly, in its full form as well as in abbreviated versions such as "14 Words", "Fourteen Words," or simply the number "14."
Old 05-25-2020, 05:48 PM

Oh. That shit.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:52 PM

Hey did that motherfucker put that wall up yet? And did Mexico pay for it?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
" The slogan was coined by David Lane, a member of the white supremacist terrorist group known as The Order (Lane died in prison in 2007)..."

Oh, that's too bad. Did he get fucking stabbed or anything, I hope?
Old 05-25-2020, 06:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Ahh. So, kinda like the “33” on the Rolling Rock beer bottles?

https://www.straightdope.com/columns...k-beer-labels/
Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM

running coach: Thank you for that. I was wondering the same thing.

Alas, I'm old enough to remember when "88" meant "With love and kisses." Now it's another Nazi code-phrase.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Alas, I'm old enough to remember when "88" meant "With love and kisses." Now it's another Nazi code-phrase.
Wow. I know about the [fairly] recent 88=HH=“Heil Hitler” nonsense, but I’m old and I don’t remember 88 meaning “love and kisses.” “XOX” is two kisses and a hug.

(“XOXZX” is the code I use with my wife and I’m not explaining the “Z” in there...)
Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
14 Words
Quote:
Because of its widespread popularity, white supremacists reference this slogan constantly, in its full form as well as in abbreviated versions such as "14 Words", "Fourteen Words," or simply the number "14."
"14" is starting to have a different connotation: the number of days after white-supremacists gather, when they start needing to be hospitalized with their gathering-acquired COVID-19 infections.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I’m kinda wondering when Ann Coulter flung “14” around.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
Wow. I know about the [fairly] recent 88=HH=“Heil Hitler” nonsense, but I’m old and I don’t remember 88 meaning “love and kisses.” “XOX” is two kisses and a hug.

(“XOXZX” is the code I use with my wife and I’m not explaining the “Z” in there...)
Old Ham Radio Code, some of the elements going back to telegraphers' shortcuts. I found a link...

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...kisses/282850/

Leave it to Nazis to mess up otherwise perfectly good symbols, such as the "Sun-Mandala" or Swastika. Bastages, I sez. Bastages.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
If the (Democratic) governor of North Carolina cannot immediately guarantee that the site will be filled to capacity, then Chump is threatening to move this summer's Republican convention to elsewhere.
And the sounds you hear are members of the RNC banging their heads against the walls...

I used to hold meetings/conferences for up to 30 people at at time, and it took weeks to work out the details, get the food and room requirements firmed up and contracted for, find times that work for everybody, hotels, cars...and I guarantee you the Republicans have been working overtime to get this set up, and have been doing so for literally years.

And now President Tantrum is threatening to undo it all...and in a state that should be Republican but which he could turn into a battleground by taking away millions of dollars in commerce (which is not going to make the Chamber of Commerce folks happy). And it would give the Republicans a bare 2 months to find another location, sign the contracts and arrange the thousand and one details necessary...not impossible, but the likelihood of Murphy paying a call is heightened considerably.

But what can they do? If the Pres says move it, the Republican Party has already shown they have a spine like a wet noodle, so they'll move it...and face his wrath when things go wrong.

Interesting times...

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 05-25-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Old Ham Radio Code, some of the elements going back to telegraphers' shortcuts. I found a link...

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...kisses/282850/

Leave it to Nazis to mess up otherwise perfectly good symbols, such as the "Sun-Mandala" or Swastika. Bastages, I sez. Bastages.
One of the reasons why I love this board.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I’m kinda wondering when Ann Coulter flung “14” around.
January 5, 2017.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:22 PM

Here's a HuffPost elaboration.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:35 PM

Republicans find themselves explaining how they don't really say the things they say an awful lot.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

She defended herself with screenshots of tweets suggesting that she’d been running a countdown feature for the previous year. Did she post 15 on February 4, 16 on the 3rd, and so on?
‘Cos it looks a little too implausible to suppose that she lost interest in the project until I-Day minus 14.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
She defended herself with screenshots of tweets suggesting that she’d been running a countdown feature for the previous year. Did she post 15 on February 4, 16 on the 3rd, and so on?
‘Cos it looks a little too implausible to suppose that she lost interest in the project until I-Day minus 14.
It wasn't even posted on the day when Obama had fourteen days left in office.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
And the sounds you hear are members of the RNC banging their heads against the walls...

I used to hold meetings/conferences for up to 30 people at at time, and it took weeks to work out the details, get the food and room requirements firmed up and contracted for, find times that work for everybody, hotels, cars...and I guarantee you the Republicans have been working overtime to get this set up, and have been doing so for literally years.

And now President Tantrum is threatening to undo it all...and in a state that should be Republican but which he could turn into a battleground by taking away millions of dollars in commerce (which is not going to make the Chamber of Commerce folks happy). And it would give the Republicans a bare 2 months to find another location, sign the contracts and arrange the thousand and one details necessary...not impossible, but the likelihood of Murphy paying a call is heightened considerably.

But what can they do? If the Pres says move it, the Republican Party has already shown they have a spine like a wet noodle, so they'll move it...and face his wrath when things go wrong.

Interesting times...
I would expect any competent organizer (yeah, I know) to have a reasonably well-thought-out Plan B in their pocket, in case of emergency. Charlotte isn't on the coast, but August is hurricane season and it's not unheard of for a good portion of North Carolina to be impacted by particularly nasty storms.

Yeah, it would be a royal pain in the ass to change venues at this date, but you'd think there'd be the bare bones of an alternate plan in the books. But, who knows with this crowd.

Last edited by carlb; 05-26-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post

Trump is assuming Cooper will cave, and treating this as a dick measuring contest.

And I think there is a chance that by August it might be safe-ish to open the convention center, in which case Cooper will take heat if he doesn't cave.

I hope though that he doesn't and climbs up on the federalism horse - traditionally, the Carolina's aren't big on being told what to do by the US government. Not that I would expect such cognitive dissonance to effect the current crop of Trumplican's, but it would be fun any way.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:16 AM

I'm surprised he didn't ask for a guarantee of sunshine for the week of the convention. No responsible public servant could guarantee that it will be permissible to pack a convention arena three months down the road. Guess he'll have to try Georgia.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:23 AM

What are the odds Trump suggests holding it at Mar-A-Lago?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
What are the odds Trump suggests holding it at Mar-A-Lago?
Not enough hotel rooms he can jack the prices up on. The Trump International in Las Vegas on the other hand...
Old 05-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Democratic governor in Nevada, though. The CNN article says he mentioned Florida, Georgia and Texas as possible alternatives.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Democratic governor in Nevada, though. The CNN article says he mentioned Florida, Georgia and Texas as possible alternatives.
Please let it be Florida.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Maybe they can hold it in Republicans' favorite city: Moscow.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:38 AM

This article has a pretty detailed laundry list of what a corrupt fuck-up this douchebag is:

This Is Still Happening: Jared Kushner

A roundup of Trump administration malfeasance, Part 9.

It starts out:
Quote:
What Is Still Happening: It’s depressing and infuriating to contemplate the amount of influence over all of our lives that has been handed to Kushner, whose greatest accomplishments prior to joining the White House were buying a $1.8 billion money pit with his family fortune and marrying Ivanka Trump.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
This article has a pretty detailed laundry list of what a corrupt fuck-up this douchebag is:

This Is Still Happening: Jared Kushner

A roundup of Trump administration malfeasance, Part 9.

It starts out:
Trump admires people who are able to do what he'd like to do.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Trump admires people who are able to do what he'd like to do.
But he'd done rather well pissing away a family fortune and...

Oh.