Old 08-15-2019, 10:24 PM

Missed the edit window.

Furthermore, I am not out to reflexively be a contrarian. I express my genuine opinion about the topic at hand, and when others’ match mine I say so. If you pay attention, you will see me do just that frequently. The only time you guys seem to notice it is when you suddenly decide that I am desperately seeking approval, after sticking fingers in various people’s eyes previously. Much simpler than either being a troll/contrarian on the one hand, or a kissass seeking approval on the other, I’m just expressing my honest opinion about everything, and letting the chips fall where they may.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
You think I am seeking approval? Trust me, I am perspicacious enough that if thatís what I was out to do, it would be childishly easy. I would start, obviously, by not articulating controversial or taboo opinions. If it werenít against the rules, I would make an alternate identity to illustrate.

What I am a stickler for is accuracy. About me, about others.
Meh,

Like if asking you for accuracy about sources does not end in grammar complains from you, so then you don't have to deal with your ignorance on many controversies.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
What I am a stickler for is accuracy.
No, I've already shown you suck at pedantry.

Which, after all, is just pompous accuracy-lite for pretentious twats, and you can't even manage that properly.

ETA: missed the "Suspended" Hah-hah! Wonder what he did in his profile?

Last edited by MrDibble; 08-16-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:27 AM

A link to the official suspension notification for anyone curious:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=880479
Old 08-16-2019, 02:35 AM

Apparently it was for his sig. Which currently reads "Some people on TV are nice." but might have had a "to look at" tacked on before the suspension?

So basically, he tried to petulantly express dissatisfaction with the recent misogyny modding, in the form of a trolling sig, and it bit him on his arse. Love it!

Last edited by MrDibble; 08-16-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:08 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Apparently it was for his sig. Which currently reads "Some people on TV are nice." but might have had a "to look at" tacked on before the suspension?

So basically, he tried to petulantly express dissatisfaction with the recent misogyny modding, in the form of a trolling sig, and it bit him on his arse. Love it!

Was it one of the female mods/admin (at least one is female, right?) who suspended him?
Old 08-16-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Was it one of the female mods/admin (at least one is female, right?) who suspended him?
TubaDiva is female; I'm not certain, but I don't think any of the current mods are.
I'd suppose it was one of those mod loop things, but Bone was the one who gave him the two warnings mentioned in the announcement linked to above, and he was also the one who announced the suspension.

Last edited by galen ubal; 08-16-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

These are really funny. In the GD thread about a new California regarding suspensions:

Quote:
ETA: This is something about which my wife, a high school special-education teacher, and I vehemently disagree. You might say she is much more qualified to judge, but I spent several years substitute teaching mostly in middle school and high school.
So. His wife, a career teacher, disagrees, but he subbed for a couple years. So, you know, he knows everything.

Quote:
I haven’t read the whole thread or really anything from before I started posting on page 5 or whatever it was. If this is not about eliminating suspensions* then cool. I’m not strawmanning, just going with what I assumed we were talking about based on the title of the thread.

*Or, almost as bad, insisting on racial quotas for suspensions.
And, he didn't bother to even skim the OP, let alone read the whole thread before he jumped in.

That thread is a fucking troll orgy. It's like fucking red meat. It's basic enough for people to understand (back in my day . . .) and it gives them all the chance to bitch about what incorrigible animals black kids are. Because if black kids are inhuman trash starting in Kindergarten, if we can dismiss them because "they had the opportunity to show they cared about an education and they threw it away" before they are even old enough to write their name, then we are off the hook for anything that happens to them after.

The idea of little black kids getting away with something and white teachers powerless to stop them just activates the fuck out of our usual suspects.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:35 PM

Funny how you seem to ignore that many of the teachers in “troubled” inner city schools are themselves black.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Ah yes, time for an update since this was bumped.

So, besides falling for misleading information about the differences of intelligence among "races", lukewarm climate change disinformers, "centrist" anti-GMO positions; falling for late term abortion misinformation from the right, health care dumb talking points (from the right too), incel propaganda and feminism talking points from conservative land, he also falls for propaganda from the right that also does control a lot of the parameters of the discussion about school suspensions. (IOW, it is clear that SI has not learned why is that one has to clean also the sources of information that one uses.

Slacker never seems to notice the many hooks he gets in his mouth that are coming from many unreliable sources of information that troll their readers or viewers.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-13-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:46 PM

I don't think he cares about the sources and I think he believes most of it.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 PM

I guarantee you these supposed “sources” GIGO raves about are in almost every case things I have never seen. My information diet is 80-90% NPR, NYT, Slate, and MSNBC. But I do not consume thise sources uncritically.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guarantee you these supposed “sources” GIGO raves about are in almost every case things I have never seen. My information diet is 80-90% NPR, NYT, Slate, and MSNBC. But I do not consume thise sources uncritically.
In the case of climate change misinformers, a quick search for any of those sources the Slacker mentioned here, Seeing them giving time to the likes of Lomborg during the previous year, came up almost empty. In fact Lomborg even complained that NPR and other sources should apologize for being fearmongers regarding the climate change issue.

Again, as I noted before to SlackerInc, it is more likely that many more reliable sources have learned why a fink like him should not be trusted. As the search I did shows, Lomborg has recently just managed to appear at misleading right wing sources like the New York Post and cuckoo land Prager "University".

So off with it SlackerInc, who told you that citing Lomborg in a recent discussion was a good idea?

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-13-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:35 AM

GIGO, if someone were to only read your posts about me, but not my actual posts themselves, they might assume that I have some kind of obsession with Bjorn Lomborg, and that references to him would be found in a significant percentage of my posts. But how about the reality? I have over 12,000 posts on this board. How many of those contain references to Lomborg? A post like this one, in which I am responding to your constant hectoring, doesn’t count. Just posts where I bring him up on my own. Is the number one? Two? Maybe three?

And how about on Twitter? How many of my 8,186 tweets mention him? I’m going to guess zero? You are the one who is obsessed with the guy. Get a grip, man.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
GIGO, if someone were to only read your posts about me, but not my actual posts themselves, they might assume that I have some kind of obsession with Bjorn Lomborg, and that references to him would be found in a significant percentage of my posts. But how about the reality? I have over 12,000 posts on this board. How many of those contain references to Lomborg? A post like this one, in which I am responding to your constant hectoring, doesn’t count. Just posts where I bring him up on my own. Is the number one? Two? Maybe three?

And how about on Twitter? How many of my 8,186 tweets mention him? I’m going to guess zero? You are the one who is obsessed with the guy. Get a grip, man.
Get a grip on your ignorance, you're only trying to avoid having to check on your own how casual are the ways you to fall for misinformation. And acting like you forgot just tells me that maybe your genes must be faulty.

The reason why I point at Lomborg was to find how casual some misinformation gets among the ones that claim to be so clever. Same goes for how is it that you fell for the right wing spin of all the other subjects. Not informing others about how it was that your well was poisoned only helps others (and yourself too) to get poisoned in the future.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-14-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Get a grip on your ignorance, you're only trying to avoid having to check on your own how casual are the ways you to fall for misinformation.

That was more incoherent than usual. Have you tried using DeepL instead of Google Translate? HTH

Last edited by SlackerInc; 09-14-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That was more incoherent than usual. Have you tried using DeepL instead of Google Translate? HTH
I did, your pap here came as: "I'm am a willful ignorant."

You also want to forget that others reported already that they can follow what I type, meaning that you only show others how inadequate you are.

Better check if your genes are faulty.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-14-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:03 AM

Maybe you’re not really ESL, just a bot that awkwardly regurgitates the same few phrases over and over in random combinations.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:52 AM

I didn't even realize GIGObuster spoke English as a second language for the longest time. GIGO is perfectly easy to understand.

You are a great example of Dunning Kruger when it comes to detecting misinformation. You are bad at it, but you don't realize you are bad at it. You fall for pseudoscience, like scientific racism. You fall for alt-right nonsense.

This would be fine if you'd realize this and then run things through a fact checker, but you'd rather believe that you're somehow special and see things that no one else can see. That is the slight bit of conspiracy theorist thinking in you.

When you stay away from such stuff, you can be a pleasant and even insightful poster. You give us perspective that we may miss as more liberal posters, and help us identify the less partisan reasons to hate Trump. You're not inherently bad, but you have some bad beliefs and too much of a belief in your own intellectual superiority.

And even that isn't horrible--we all have it to some degree. It's kinda something that smart people do--we get used to being right and relying on our own reasoning and intelligence. But to truly not be ignorant, we have to be aware when this is happening and defer to those who know more.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Funny how all us non-999 posters have no problem understanding GIGO's posts.

But you keep going for that cheap ad hominem, you master debater, you... since you don't have facts or science on your side, I guess you have to use anything you can.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm going to let the rest of your bullshit go, SlackerInc, since others are so handily handing you your ass and I'm super lazy. But please stop harping on GIGObuster's English. I know it's the Pit and it's acceptable. But this is not creative or entertaining. Frankly, it's boring as fuck and I don't want to read it any longer.

Last edited by stretch; 09-14-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: fucking commas - too many? not enough? I can never decide.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
Frankly, it's boring as fuck and I don't want to read it any longer.

Funny, that’s just how I feel about GIGO’s constant refrain of non sequitur word salad: “But that is what it to you also want to forget that already are to the one who to fall constantly for the Bjorn Lomborg is but the...” Wake me up when we get to the end of the wall of gibberish!
Old 09-14-2019, 11:08 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
It was perfectly clear to me, and evidently to everyone else. Insulting GIGO for some slight awkwardness in his phrasing just make you like an idiot. GIGO is a hell of a lot smarter than you, Chuckles.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Funny, thatís just how I feel about GIGOís constant refrain of non sequitur word salad: ďBut that is what it to you also want to forget that already are to the one who to fall constantly for the Bjorn Lomborg is but the...Ē Wake me up when we get to the end of the wall of gibberish!
Meh, cheap shot
Old 09-14-2019, 11:36 AM

Yeah, it’s a cheap shot, against someone who constantly fulminates against me with repetitive boring non sequiturs. We are in the Pit, after all. Everybody needs to put on their big boy or big girl pants. No fainting couches in these parts.

ETA: And I know with certainty in my soul that a bunch of people cracked up when they read my GIGO impression, even if they will never ever admit it.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 09-14-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:03 PM

BTW, I will readily admit a weakness when it comes to parsing nonstandard English. Whether it’s textspeak, netspeak, or the transcription of colloquial dialogue (as in the novel Huckleberry Finn), my brain rebels against the attempt. My eyes glaze over, I struggle to focus, I find myself rereading the same passages again and again. It’s probably true that most of you are better at it than I am. But that is one reason I have always liked posting here: I don’t have to suffer through that kind of thing for the most part.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW, I will readily admit a weakness when it comes to parsing nonstandard English. Whether it’s textspeak, netspeak, or the transcription of colloquial dialogue (as in the novel Huckleberry Finn), my brain rebels against the attempt. My eyes glaze over, I struggle to focus, I find myself rereading the same passages again and again. It’s probably true that most of you are better at it than I am. But that is one reason I have always liked posting here: I don’t have to suffer through that kind of thing for the most part.
Well, thanks for admitting for being a coward for avoiding the issue for such a reason, you really do think that criticizing others for their grammar is the way to go when you realize how dismal is your BS detector when you assimilate right wing talking points.

No matter how many show that they understand me, you then are adding more idiocy there for thinking that it is still a "good idea" to continue to think that you can dismiss the point for that reason.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-14-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:14 PM

La la la!
Old 09-14-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Meh, more idiocy, virtually none of the ones that he thinks cracked up with his impersonation (none of it was from a quote of mine) think that he is making a good point there, just a demonstration of his assholery, prejudice and lack of trustworthiness in many subjects.

And many thanks to BigT, IvoryTowerDenizen, Colibri, MrDibble, stretch and many others for your support.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-14-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
ETA: And I know with certainty in my soul that a bunch of people cracked up when they read my GIGO impression, even if they will never ever admit it.
"Many people are saying 'Sir, you crack me up' I don't know how many, but it is a bigly number. Believe me!"

That is who you sound like, idiot.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-14-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I guarantee you these supposed ďsourcesĒ GIGO raves about are in almost every case things I have never seen. My information diet is 80-90% NPR, NYT, Slate, and MSNBC. But I do not consume thise sources uncritically.
But it's that other 10-20% of sources that constitute the veritable intellectual compost heap from which you formulate some of your more infamous and specious (okay, horse shit) positions.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
But it's that other 10-20% of sources that constitute the veritable intellectual compost heap from which you formulate some of your more infamous and specious (okay, horse shit) positions.

Really? I think thatís rather unfair to the Atlantic, the New Yorker, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning Minneapolis Star Tribune, honestly.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
BTW, I will readily admit a weakness when it comes to parsing nonstandard English. Whether itís textspeak, netspeak, or the transcription of colloquial dialogue (as in the novel Huckleberry Finn), my brain rebels against the attempt. My eyes glaze over, I struggle to focus, I find myself rereading the same passages again and again. Itís probably true that most of you are better at it than I am. But that is one reason I have always liked posting here: I donít have to suffer through that kind of thing for the most part.
It was pretty clear, Slacker. GIGO's not to be mocked, as he writes better than a lot of college-educated native writers of English, and unlike you, he sources his positions pretty well. I'd be pretty fucking embarrassed at admitting on a public message board to your inability to comprehend the thrust of what he's posted.

GIGO, do Slacker a favor: no more complex or compound sentence structures, eh? Keep it simple.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:15 PM

Yeah, that’s it.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Quote:
Really? I think thatís rather unfair to the Atlantic, the New Yorker, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning Minneapolis Star Tribune, honestly.
Slacker missed that almost all there also dropped Lomborg as a serious person to interview or get an opinion since 2014 for The Atlantic for example, The New Yorker was not impressed by him since 2008. Not so the Star Tribune... in 2016, and honestly; that does causes more doubt that the Star Tribune is reliable, although it has to be pointed that Lomborg posted an opinion there, not a news article and the Star Tribune called it a Counter Point. As in against the grain.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
almost all there also dropped Lomborg

Quote:
Lomborg posted an opinion there

Get help.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Get help.
He don't know what "almost" means? Do tell, he is the one that needs help.

And duly noted that the Slacker cowardly avoided the point made, he still does not want to do a basic check of how is it that he can swallow bullshit from the right wing.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-14-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
the Pulitzer Prize-winning Minneapolis Star Tribune
You say this like it's supposed to be meaningful.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Which is the source of your white supremacist and Islamophobic views, as well as your ethnic pride?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
He don't know what "almost" means? Do tell, he is the one that needs help.

You didnít understand my post. It was only to note how you continue to chant ďLomborg, Lomborg, LomborgĒ over and over. Clearly no one is interested. Find a new schtick.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You didnít understand my post. It was only to note how you continue to chant ďLomborg, Lomborg, LomborgĒ over and over. Clearly no one is interested. Find a new schtick.
You only show that you want to be a coward, the only thing that was requested from you was to tell us what was the source told you that it was a good idea to defend him. Fine with me that you want to be Sir Robin.

And the evidence here in the thread is that no one is interested on your grammar Nazi act too. Sucks to be you.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:10 PM

Good God, SlackerInc really is a dipshit, isn’t he?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:33 PM

Yes.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:30 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
You didn’t understand my post. It was only to note how you continue to chant “Lomborg, Lomborg, Lomborg” over and over. Clearly no one is interested. Find a new schtick.
Y'know, if we were to have a poll regarding who we would prefer to have a member of the the board, you or GIGO, he would win in a landslide that would make FDR envious. I would be astonished if you got a single vote. In fact, you would probably lose to all but at tiny handful of other posters. You are a leading candidate for Least Valuable Poster. Congratulations. It's taken a lot of effort.

Last edited by Colibri; 09-15-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Y'know, if we were to have a poll regarding who we would prefer to have a member of the the board, you or GIGO, he would win in a landslide that would make FDR envious.
Hell, if you were to have a poll regarding who better supported their arguments with better logic and citations, all but the most virulently racist or obviously trolling (or both) members of the board would vote one way.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Y'know, if we were to have a poll regarding who we would prefer to have a member of the the board, you or GIGO, he would win in a landslide that would make FDR envious. I would be astonished if you got a single vote. In fact, you would probably lose to all but at tiny handful of other posters. You are a leading candidate for Least Valuable Poster. Congratulations. It's taken a lot of effort.

Effort, stupidity. To-may-to, to-mah-to.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Y'know, if we were to have a poll regarding who we would prefer to have a member of the the board, you or GIGO, he would win in a landslide that would make FDR envious.

I don’t dispute that. But if you had a big purge where you got to vote on who you’d like to kick out, this board would become boring as fuck, one big somnambulant circle jerk.

And the fact remains that everyone wants to be protective of GIGO like he’s a sad little stray kitten who’s missing an ear, but still: no one wants to talk about Bjorn Lomborg with him. Maybe now you’ll make a weak attempt to pretend like you do, just to spite me and/or salve his pweshus feewings, but I doubt you will really be able to muster up much enthusiasm for it. Maybe a few of you can get some sort of email loop together and privately divvy up the chore, like Andy touts Lomborg on Thursday and Monty takes Friday, etc. Have fun with that!
Old 09-15-2019, 04:25 AM

Reality is a foreign language to you, isn't it?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 AM

Okay, Monty, set me straight on “reality”. What would you like to say about Bjorn Lomborg? I’m all ears.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:02 AM

Aw, poor, pitiful SlackerInc.