Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 PM

Wow!
I slept late.
I kinda woke up earlier for a minute expecting Cat noises. Nope. They were both asleep in a chair in my room. Dogs were asleep at my feet.
I faded back to sleep and rejoined my dream. That I will NOT disclose.

ETA, I said it upthread, bears repeating: this thread makes me happy! Thx.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-20-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:23 PM

PaintCharge How did you make the pot lid?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
Your picture and user name give off vibes of a dark, cynic who would rather eat small children than smile at their antics, so this juxtaposition gives me some happy. Also, my sister and my nephew and his fiancee are visiting this afternoon. I haven't seen them in several months, so I'm happy about that.
LOL, I'm not dark, nor do I want to eat children. Sometimes a username is just a username. But I am a cynic. See my signature for what one poster thinks of me, but I'm certain she's wrong.

Glad you got to see your sister and nephew.

Last edited by manson1972; 10-20-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 PM

uh, to everyone saying thanks for the thread, uh, shucks, yer welcome

Uh, ahem, say! did you know that VOW has a secret superhero identity? By night she's a mild mannered haus frau married to an amateur astronomer named Karl(VOW) by day she's Freedom From Hair Woman, faster than a B52, more powerful than a curling iron, able to leap tall beehives in a single bound!

Sorry VOW, hadda do it, they were, like, looking at me and sayin thanks for this thread n stuff and I, and I, well, I just panicked and I didn't know what to do, I didn't mean to reveal your secret identity and I'm genuinely awfully sorry

Can, can I still be in your fan club?

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-20-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
uh, to everyone saying thanks for the thread, uh, shucks, yer welcome

Uh, ahem, say! did you know that VOW has a secret superhero identity? By night she's a mild mannered haus frau married to an amateur astronomer named Karl(VOW) by day she's Freedom From Hair Woman, faster than a B52, more powerful than a curling iron, able to leap tall beehives in a single bound!

Sorry VOW, hadda do it, they were, like, looking at me and sayin thanks for this thread n stuff and I, and I, well, I just panicked and I didn't know what to do, I didn't mean to reveal your secret identity and I'm genuinely awfully sorry

Can, can I still be in your fan club?
I'm being President. I call dibs!!
Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
PaintCharge How did you make the pot lid?
the pot lid rack
Old 10-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
the pot lid rack
That was pretty funny, I have to say. It tickled me. I laughed and cats flew. I'm not allowed to laugh, it seems.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Akiko is my Japanese Akita, whom the Dopers helped me name. She is training to be my service dog.
Awesomely beautiful, intelligent, and supremely loyal dogs. I hope you are best friends for a long, long time!
Old 10-20-2019, 11:58 PM

I'm honored to be bestowed with such a super cool super identity! Freedom From Hair Woman! Yes!

I wear it proudly!

~VOW
Old 10-21-2019, 12:41 AM

~VOW- wear that cape* like a boss!!

*I'm seeing red satin with a sparkly collar!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-21-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:03 AM

NOxCAPES!

I mean, seriously!

Last edited by Nava; 10-21-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Well ok, capes are right out, but there HAS to be a utility belt!
I see no reason for the costume to not have a red sparkly collar. Something tall and vampyrish that highlights the source of her powers maybe

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-21-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? Near Gilroy?
Other side of the continent: upstate New York.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Well ok, capes are right out, but there HAS to be a utility belt!
I see no reason for the costume to not have a red sparkly collar. Something tall and vampyrish that highlights the source of her powers maybe
No pouches, though, please. I'm thinking bandolier belt.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Other side of the continent: upstate New York.
Oh well. I saw DopeFest possibilities, but New York is a bit far.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Standing outside the library, waiting for it to open. A man comes by holding four DVDS. He goes to the book drop, notices the sign BOOKS ONLY, and looks around like "What do I do?" I say "They don't like to have anything but books put there, but if you think you can trust me, I'll take them inside when the library opens." He says "Okay, I'll trust you" and hands me the 4 DVDS. Of couse I took them inside, as I am not going to be known as a person who would screw with a library.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:37 PM

Saturday I put a chicken on the smoker and several hours later had a wonderful dinner, but what was even better was on Sunday when the carcass went into the pot with herbs, spices, and veggies. If I could bottle the smell in my house that day I would be a billionaire.

Chicken noodle soup is coming up in a day or two.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:41 AM

Here's another little bitty Happy that makes me smile.

Tomorrow we throw stuff in the back of the car and return to AZ.

Thank GAWD

~3
Old 10-22-2019, 07:30 AM

Had pot steak and stew meat fir dinner last night.

Had a couple sirloins and a lump of stew meat that had been in the freezer a while, some potatoes that needed used up, most of a butternut squash and some carrots that also needed using. Threw all of that(well only about half the squash) in the crock with an onion in the morning...delish at dinner time. I love my crock pot
Old 10-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Oh well. I saw DopeFest possibilities, but New York is a bit far.
Yes, that would be quite a haul.

I'm not close even to any of the places that most people think of when they think of New York. 'Centrally isolated' is one of the terms for this general area.

That's on purpose, though. It makes me happy. (Mileage obviously varies!)
Old 10-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

This is from a little while ago, but Kid Cheesesteak's boy scout troop was holding a fundraiser, selling fall plants and decorations. He joined last April and is still the youngest kid in the troop.

He grabs a clipboard, I make him a few extra copies of the form, and he walks the neighborhood ringing bells and selling plants.

3 afternoons of hoofing it and he sells over $500 of product, becoming the troop's top seller, and earning himself all the honors and benefits of being the Grand Poobah.

I'm happy because he did it on his own, I didn't bring forms to the office, or drive him all around town, he just went door to door, and got the job done.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
...-- This thread makes me happy. I've been missing the snopes Little Things That Make You Happy thread, and wondering whether I should start one. Now I don't have to start one, because this one is here.
I'm happy to see you, thorny locust, posting. I'm glad to have a new message board for posting with new faces and some familar faces as well.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Ummmmm left over pot roasted sirloin...one of life's happy meals (fu mcdonalds)

Die Capa...Capaca...Capasis...

Yo Trix, happy to see you made it to the thread.

Don't mind me, I'm just the local smart ass, and I won't really call you Trix if you don't want me to. Just havin a bit of fun at your expense.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:15 PM

Hey Annie, how come your library doesn't have a drop box for discs? Man when the local video stores started going away, every library and their branches suddenly had them across 3 counties. Just an oversight maybe?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, that would be quite a haul.

I'm not close even to any of the places that most people think of when they think of New York. 'Centrally isolated' is one of the terms for this general area.

That's on purpose, though. It makes me happy. (Mileage obviously varies!)
It sounds good to me too!
Old 10-23-2019, 02:31 AM

New project. While in theory I'm allowed to work remotely quite a bit, I decided that I'd rather just move house as usual; I didn't want to end up flying back and forth at the last minute a lot, which is bad for my wallet and my health. After all, "remote" works equally well for "5 miles away" and for "500 miles away". I found a serviced apartment close to the location where I'm supposed to spend most of the project and once you look at the prices for non-serviced rentals, plus utilities, plus insurance, plus... it actually comes up to about the same. I'm moving into the new place on Friday.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Annie, how come your library doesn't have a drop box for discs? Man when the local video stores started going away, every library and their branches suddenly had them across 3 counties. Just an oversight maybe?
Good question, and I don't have a clue. Maybe because the drop off is a single mailbox outside the library and not a slot that drops the items into the library?

They really should update it.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:01 PM

Home again at last, nother day in the books. Vaderling is being well behaved and showing that he actually can pick up after himself.

Life is good.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Ummmmm left over pot roasted sirloin...one of life's happy meals (fu mcdonalds)

Die Capa...Capaca...Capasis...

Yo Trix, happy to see you made it to the thread.

Don't mind me, I'm just the local smart ass, and I won't really call you Trix if you don't want me to. Just havin a bit of fun at your expense.
Yea, Trix keep your eye on this one.
Welcome.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:50 AM

Hah! Yer dewin it 2! Double Hah!

On the home front, aside from a minor temper tantrun by the Vaderling resulting in lost phone privileges for the evening, the roomies came out and spent the evening engaged in convo with me and alternated playing call of duty with Vaderling (thus pretty much taking the sting out of the lost phone but oh well). A pleasant time was had by all. Ms. Roomie expressed her joy at being able to cook if and when and what she wanted to. We worked out housekeeping issues with me making it clear that she was NOT a live in maid and her saying she likes doing it, makes her feel useful and allows her to contribute since she only works part time right now, just don't take her for granted...won't be a problem, and I will thank her every day for every chore she does.

So a pleasing interlude was spent at the Vader Ranch and contentment is.

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-24-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:18 AM

How old is the Vaderling?

The Littlest Nephew's birthday is shortly before Christmas, he'll be five this December. Last year his parental units requested that everybody's presents be the same (albeit not identical): circuit pieces for IKEA's wooden train.

Best. Present. Ever.

It's been almost a year and that train remains the kidlet's favorite toy. In September they went on vacation (parents, both grandmothers and kidlet): on the way there he proclaimed that well yeah the beach is alright but it was kind of a bummer that he wouldn't see his friends for a whole week and would not be able to build circuits (sand castles were later deemed an acceptable substitute). Every day they're at home, my brother sends pics of the latest circuit. And when any of us says "you know what we plan on giving him this year, right?", his parents grin and say "it will certainly be welcome!"

Last edited by Nava; 10-24-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

You know how every job has the one person nobody can stand? Well, yesterday that person had to leave early so I didn't have to interact with her.

The absence of a negative is a happy positive.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Nava, he is 10
I still have a few of the cars from the days when his Tommy the Tank Engine wood train and track set was his favorite thing

Oooooh Annie, I know what you mean, it's sorta like when you get a sliver and it's really hard to get out and you have to cause every time you do something it snags a little bit.
Then you finally do get it out.

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-24-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Dixie the dog just had surgery...
Would that be Dixie The Tiny Dog?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
After a few weeks of business travel, I got home yesterday, and went to the Santa Fe Comic-Con. I got to meet, shake hands, and get an autograph from Angus_MacInnes!...
Fun fact. A high school friend of my mom was named Henry MacInnes. But he didn't think he could be an actor with that name, so changed it to Jefferey Hunter.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:02 PM

Yay for me.

I actually had a convo with a (presumably) real woman today, online. It was short. But positive and she has added me to her list of favorites wants to get to know me etc. I'm seeing a potential lunch date here, I hope. It would be pretty easy since she doesn't live far from me, we could both probably walk to the restaurant, well I could, my town covers a lot of low population square miles so she might have to drive. But still...fingers crossed
Old 11-03-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Yay for me.

I actually had a convo with a (presumably) real woman today, online. It was short. But positive and she has added me to her list of favorites wants to get to know me etc. I'm seeing a potential lunch date here, I hope. It would be pretty easy since she doesn't live far from me, we could both probably walk to the restaurant, well I could, my town covers a lot of low population square miles so she might have to drive. But still...fingers crossed
Good for you. Be nice, pay for lunch and smell good. You'll be a hit!!
Old 11-04-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Be nice, pay for lunch and smell good. You'll be a hit!!
Offer to pay for lunch, yes. Don't insist, if she seems to really want to split it.

And translate "smell good" as "be clean" (which you presumably already know), not as "wear lots of scented stuff."
Old 11-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

The store I cashier at starts opening next Saturday night from 6 yo 11 p.m. The first time I felt good about myself in my job was seven years ago, when the then night manager asked if I could work Saturday nights "because you're so good and fast." I accepted, and every year when I get asked it makes me happy.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-04-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:34 AM

I hope to frequently have something like this to contribute:

This week (and a bit) was "two years in the shelter is enough" week. Among those who went home are:

1. A notoriously unhappy and mean-as-hell senior cat we all knew would be better if she could just get out of the stressful shelter. She went home after two years of "lol no way will this cat ever be adopted" with an old lady in a senior apartment setting and, after talking to the people who run it, we're trying to figure out a good way of hooking a bunch of other residents up with senior cats. Through our shelter, there's no adoption fee for seniors and vet care is provided for life and if we have like 8 cats in one building, we can take a vet to them. Mean-as-hell cat, by the way, is her new mom's happy little snuggle buddy.

2. A shy young boy cat- two and a half years old and he's been in the shelter since he was about six months. Loves to play, loves other cats, takes a while to warm up to strangers- someone came specifically to see him, knew he was a shy cat, knew before they came that he probably wouldn't let them pet him for a while, and took him anyway. He's another one I'm certain will be better in a home- shelters are SO crazy and they're not places for sensitive cats.

3. A middle-aged dog who came to us from another shelter that was shutting down, so we actually don't know how long she's lived the shelter life, but it's been two years with us. She needed a home with no other animals and she found it this weekend! She went home yesterday and her new mom has already sent us a message saying she's an angel and thanking us for bringing them together.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

We'd adopted some cats back in the distant days of 1998-2000, and the last of the survivors from that group passed away in July, so we'd been without cats since then. (For the first time since 1982 for me, and even longer for my wife.)

A week ago, the kitty drought ended, when we brought home two six month old kittens from a local animal rescue outfit. They're totally adorable, of course. One of them's curled up in my robe on the guest bed right now, and the other one's decided that my wife's heating pad, which she'd had on the floor to warm her feet, would be a great place to curl up. She may need to buy a second heating pad.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Dogs reuniting with owners

This dog was lost for weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYuL76Oc3hA

This dog was lost for three years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP5lzEKcCX8
Old 11-04-2019, 06:00 PM

That second one was amazing, saucywench.

Why am I out here? I'm staying behind my handler, I know her. Am I supposed to go over to that person? wait a minute . . . sniff . .. is it . . . is it really you? is it really you? IT'S REALLY YOU! IT IS IT IS IT IS!
Old 11-04-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
This dog was lost for weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYuL76Oc3hA

This dog was lost for three years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP5lzEKcCX8

Old 05-19-2020, 11:42 PM

Hey, happy doesn't zombify and sometimes we need a reminder!

One small joy of being a parent; being able to sit and watch a terrible, awful, crappy movie with your kid(s) and have a good time cause kids are not (usually) astute movie critics and don't always mock you for your cinematic choices.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:05 AM

I had a very sucky Tuesday. Tele-visit with the Diabetic nurse banged it in my head that there's no way I can leave the house. At least 6 weeks more.
We'll have to see after that. She expects a second round of COVID will be pretty bad. I was depressed about that.
I had a decent afternoon with the Grandwrex, though.
And later I had a happy visit (online) with someone who cheered me up.
All's well that ends well.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:52 AM

I got my Bug-A-Salt gun yesterday, after spending the past couple of weeks watching big-ass flies fly around the house. The cats got some of them but there were still a few flying around. Unfortunately I cleaned the litter earlier in the day and now all of the flies have disappeared.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 AM

Last weekend I adopted a pair of kitties!
Kaylee (l) and Zoe (r).
Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post
Kaylee (l) and Zoe (r).
Squishy ear adorables!
Old 05-22-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post
Kaylee (l) and Zoe (r).
Heh! Must resist urge to adopt...MUST RESIST URGETO ADOPT!!!

Sweet day at work today, everything went really well, got all the main stuff done so tomorrow we can start loading with minimal fuss or fluster AND got a pretty damn good gratuity to boot. (Yes, my job is a pretty good example of how tipping should/ used to work in the US)