View Poll Results: Do you have at least one valid passport?
Yes 250 83.33%
No 50 16.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2019, 03:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
ETA

There are some states that don't like to accept a U.S. passport for buying age-restricted items because their rules state that they can only accept their own states' driver license. Rather annoying.
Try being a non-US citizen, and try to buy alcohol in such a place. My Canadian passport (which the US government, at US customs, agreed is good enough to be allowed into the US), is somehow not good enough in some American states.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:17 AM

I have two, a Canadian one and a Czech one (I got naturalized as a Czech citizen last year).
Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 AM

Yes. And for you California folks out there, remember that you can use a passport as ID in place of that REAL ID driver license.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I do not have one, and my visceral feeling about them is that they are an accessory of the super-wealthy who have the means to travel internationally on a whim. Yes, I do recognize that this is a viewpoint more suited to the 1920s than to the twenty-first century, but there ya go. Visceral feelings don’t have to make sense.

That said, I have a PSA to offer: I work for the USPS, servicing the machinery that sorts the mail. It would not be fair to characterize the way that the machinery treats parcels as equivalent to “handling it with kid gloves.” It would also not be fair to characterize it as being egregiously rough. Suffice it to say that the machinery is no respecter of persons (“persons” in this instance being a metaphor for mailpieces which the sender thinks of as inherently precious and inviolable). Too many times I have had occasion to climb up into the processing system and retrieve PORTIONS of a packet of documents that have become scattered due to having burst open because they were inadequately sealed. Too often, these incidents have involved passport applications and renewals. While we do have a staff dedicated to recovering and if necessary, repackaging busted parcels, the possibility always exists that a document packet will permanently lose some pages. To be candid, I feel worse when it happens to a citizenship application than to passport-related docs, but it NEVER feels good. PLEASE folks, remember to SECURELY seal your document envelopes.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 11-24-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I do not have one, and my visceral feeling about them is that they are an accessory of the super-wealthy who have the means to travel internationally on a whim. Yes, I do recognize that this is a viewpoint more suited to the 1920s than to the twenty-first century, but there ya go. Visceral feelings don’t have to make sense.

That said, I have a PSA to offer: I work for the USPS, servicing the machinery that sorts the mail. It would not be fair to characterize the way that the machinery treats parcels as equivalent to “handling it with kid gloves.” It would also not be fair to characterize it as being egregiously rough. Suffice it to say that the machinery is no respecter of persons (“persons” in this instance being a metaphor for mailpieces which the sender thinks of as inherently precious and inviolable). Too many times I have had occasion to climb up into the processing system and retrieve PORTIONS of a packet of documents that have become scattered due to having burst open because they were inadequately sealed. Too often, these incidents have involved passport applications and renewals. While we do have a staff dedicated to recovering and if necessary, repackaging busted parcels, the possibility always exists that a document packet will permanently lose some pages. To be candid, I feel worse when it happens to a citizenship application than to passport-related docs, but it NEVER feels good. PLEASE folks, remember to SECURELY seal your document envelopes.
I’ll say your viewpoint is bizarre. It sounds like something out of a 1920s movie with men in tuxedos and women in evening gowns aboard a steamship to Europe. Hell, college kids need a passport to party in Cancun or across the Canadian border.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I have two
Old 11-24-2019, 11:41 AM
SD Curator of Critters

I got my first passport in 1974, for a trip to Australia and New Zealand. I'm now on my sixth passport. The first two were for five years; in the 1980s they changed the validity to 10 years. Even so, I always get a passport with extra pages so I don't fill it up. In the past 12 months I've traveled internationally 8 times, and taken 29 flights.

I also have a passport card, which is only good for land borders. I got it mainly so I would have ID with my date of birth on it so I could buy beer at those places that insist on 100% ID check to buy alcohol no matter how ancient you look.

I also just got my permanent Panama residence card. I used to have a diplomatic visa and a different kind of ID, but I recently had to change.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:48 PM

I've always had a passport, as a military brat. It's currently expired, since I'm too poor to travel nowadays. I need to get a fresh one before the real ID requirement kicks in, because I sometimes get flown out to visit the grandchild.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
What's a "Real ID"?
The issue with Real ID has nothing to do with California. To get a Real ID license you need proof of citizenship, like a passport, proof of your Social Security Number, like your original card, and two proofs of residence like a utility bill or property tax bill.

My new license came when I was on a trip, and my old picture one expired in the middle of it (I had a paper temp license) so I used my passport this time, and it worked fine.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

My second passport expired in March, and I've just not bothered to renew it yet. It's something I really need to do, having a foreign wife. For Canada, my Michigan Drivers (sic) License is good enough.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
There are some states that don't like to accept a U.S. passport for buying age-restricted items because their rules state that they can only accept their own states' driver license. Rather annoying.
Do you have a cite for this assertion?
Old 11-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
On a side note, we live in California and consequently have to get the new REAL ID compliant drivers license for air travel within the US. Pain in the butt - have to deal with DMV.
Not true. It's a US thing, not a California thing, & you can use a passport or passport card (which is license/wallet-sized) instead of getting a RealID DL.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The issue with Real ID has nothing to do with California. To get a Real ID license you need proof of citizenship, like a passport, proof of your Social Security Number, like your original card, and two proofs of residence like a utility bill or property tax bill.

My new license came when I was on a trip, and my old picture one expired in the middle of it (I had a paper temp license) so I used my passport this time, and it worked fine.
Hmm, I haven't had a social security card since about 1990, when I lost it. And my driver's licence and passport have sightly different names. (My state doesn't allow middle names on the driver's licence,Z only a middle initial. My passport has my full legal name.) I am soooo looking forward to real id.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Hmm, I haven't had a social security card since about 1990, when I lost it. And my driver's licence and passport have sightly different names. (My state doesn't allow middle names on the driver's licence,Z only a middle initial. My passport has my full legal name.) I am soooo looking forward to real id.
Have fun. My wife has lost sight in one eye, and if she renews in person she has to take another road test (which she passes.) She's decided to keep with a normal license and use her passport to fly.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

I got a passport a few years ago when I was about to graduate from my third bout of college. I had a hope that I would get a job that required international travel. So far, this hasn't happened. The passport is good until 2024 though.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:51 AM

Yes. They're good for 10 years, which is conveniently (or not) about the frequency with which I travel internationally.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:58 AM

Yes, I've had one since I was a child. As well as international travel (4x per year on average), I have often used it as proof of ID, as we don't have a national ID card in the UK, and for a long time driving licences didn't have a photo (they do now).

Anytime we have a new starter at work, they're required to bring their passport as proof of eligibility to work. So it would be a bit awkward not to have one.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
U.S. Citizen, living in the Schengen area. Yep, I got a valid passport. And my residence permit, which I have to show if anyone wants to see my passport, as my passport does not contain a Schengen area entry stamp. Americans can only stay in the Schengen area for 90 days until they have a valid residence permit for the area.

I have been asked for my residence permit in the U.S. (the airline doesn't like it when you say you don't have a return to U.S. flight booked), U.K. (not Schengen, so they shouldn't care) and any time I have to show my passport traveling within the Schengen area. Often they don't even ask to see a passport.

My passport's valid until August 2022. Global Entry is valid until my birthday in 2021, but I don't actually have a card, which is only needed for crossing the border with an auto.

Residence permit is good until 2023. So I have something to do in 2021, 2022 and 2023. Glad I only have one passport. My friend has two passports, plus an ID card for the European country and her residence permit. Something's always needing attention.

ETA

Do you mean some stores don’t like to accept passports or out of state ID? I do agree this is really annoying, especially when I’m clearly well over 21. I’ve mainly seen it near college campuses. When I lived in Columbus Ohio, I had to buy cigarettes for a 75 year old because she didn’t have an ID and one store was absolutely 100% card everyone. And, after a lifetime of heavy drinking and smoking, she looked every single one of those 75 years.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Do you mean some stores don’t like to accept passports or out of state ID?
Right, as far as I can tell the usual situation is that a particular business may not want to accept an ID that does not also show local or in-US residence even if the state (or even corporate HQ!) does not go that far. When combined with the relatively frequent instance of employees not being aware that some place or another is a component of the Greater USA (for instance, Puerto Rico or even New Mexico, fer cryin' out loud) or having had it driven into their heads that everything they do not immediately recognize must be assumed fake, it sometimes makes the news.

Then there's how for some official situations such as obtaining the ID in the first place, or a voting registration or firearms transaction, you may be required to present proof of identity, of citizenship, AND of residence -- passports allow you to pencil in an address but are not proof of place of domicile.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 11-25-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:04 AM

Of course I have a passport. It would be odd to be without one. I also secured passports for my kids when they were young, and they have used theirs.

I used to keep my passport in my safe deposit box at the bank, retrieving it whenever we had travel plans. One day my gf mentioned (jokingly) that I'd be shit outa luck if I had to leave the country unexpectedly on a Sunday. I retrieved my passport and have kept it at home ever since.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Do you have a cite for this assertion?
Looking at the law, it states that any government ID is acceptable. The sales clerk had to call a manager because the training didn't cover government ID other than the PA driver's license.

So, no cite. Just experience with incorrectly trained sale clerks and bartenders.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:51 PM

Don't have one, never have had one, and don't expect to ever need one. I have no relations that live outside the united states and I don't travel to visit the ones that live here. If people want to visit me, they know where I live.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:29 PM

My US passport is valid till 2025 and my Canadian one till 2027.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Have fun. My wife has lost sight in one eye, and if she renews in person she has to take another road test (which she passes.) She's decided to keep with a normal license and use her passport to fly.
If she renews in person she has to take a road test, but if she renews by mail she doesn't? Why in the world does that happen?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
If she renews in person she has to take a road test, but if she renews by mail she doesn't? Why in the world does that happen?
Beats me. She's not legally blind or anything, and she always passes.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
So, no cite. Just experience with incorrectly trained sale clerks and bartenders.
Thanks. That makes sense.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
That's what happens when one of the poll options isn't pie?
You have 3.14159 valid passports?
Old 11-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Mine expires first quarter 2023. I use it to fly domestically (my non Real ID DL is jammed in my wallet and hard to remove)

Brian
Old 11-26-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Looking at the law, it states that any government ID is acceptable. The sales clerk had to call a manager because the training didn't cover government ID other than the PA driver's license.

This extreme carding business seems to be a particularly American business. Shops here (UK) often had a sign/sticker by the tills which says "if you look under 25, we may ask for ID". But no one is seriously going to card a 50 year old. I got carded when I was about 40 by some cashier-robot and I just laughed, and asked them to count my grey hairs instead (we don't habitually have to carry ID, so the policy wouldn't work here anyway). I was still served.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
(we don't habitually have to carry ID, so the policy wouldn't work here anyway). I was still served.
Some stores in the US will not allow the clerk to process the sale of alcohol without scanning the driver's license or ID. It doesn't matter the age or perceived age of the customer, the register won't process the sale without ID.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
This extreme carding business seems to be a particularly American business. Shops here (UK) often had a sign/sticker by the tills which says "if you look under 25, we may ask for ID". But no one is seriously going to card a 50 year old. I got carded when I was about 40 by some cashier-robot and I just laughed, and asked them to count my grey hairs instead (we don't habitually have to carry ID, so the policy wouldn't work here anyway). I was still served.
Yes, and it's a somewhat recent American thing. I've been carded more since turning 50 than I was before I turned 50.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Which only makes me even more puzzled by the American public opinion’s apparent major hangup against a universal citizen/resident ID. Yet another thing we have to be Exceptional about. Identify yourself, but figure out how.

So instead we’ve spent a century making things that were not intended to be secure IDs — SSNs, DLs — into de facto ID papers and then the Congress tries to herd the states into the kludgy and inconvenient Real-ID system.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Which only makes me even more puzzled by the American public opinion’s apparent major hangup against a universal citizen/resident ID.
"Show me your papers".

Yeah, fuck you.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
"Show me your papers".

Yeah, fuck you.
Right, I know, I know... if a uniform national ID exists it WILL, it MUST be used that way, it HAS to be used that way, of course...

Last edited by JRDelirious; 11-26-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Right, I know, I know... if a uniform national ID exists it WILL, it MUST be used that way, it HAS to be used that way, of course...
It demonstrably has been used that way, and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Similar to the way building a wall and rounding up and caging ethnic groups has been used.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Mine is good for about 7 years. We opted to get passport cards as well, this last round - they're RealID compliant (something our state did not offer at at the time), and they can be used for driving into Canada (and I assume Mexico though we haven't tried).

I imagine the first time I try to pull that out for ID purposes, it'll get scrutinized and loudly declared to NOT be valid ID, as many people aren't familiar with them.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Suspended

I've had passports for 50 years and RealID for 10 days. But I now live uncomfortably far from a border, I'm too old to skateboard to Mexico, and I've no intention to remove my shoes to fly anywhere. What a pickle!

I predict the imminent demise of passports. Checkpoint robo-guards will take a flake of your skin; analyze and ID your DNA to know who you are and where you belong; and pass, jail, or execute you as indicated. Hackers will have fun with such a system.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
and I've no intention to remove my shoes to fly anywhere. What a pickle!
If you get TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry then you don't need to take your shoes off.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
If you get TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry then you don't need to take your shoes off.
If the airport you're at is participating.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I voted yes, but technically my passport expired a few weeks ago. I've already sent in the renewal paperwork, though, and am currently waiting for my new passport to be sent back to me.

I got off a cruise earlier this month, and my passport expired a few days later. I sent the renewal paperwork in a couple of weeks after we got back. I didn't renew it sooner, because you have to send in your old passport with the renewal paperwork, and I was afraid I wouldn't get it back in time for the cruise (which was booked at the last minute).

In the ten years I've had this passport, I've used it about once a year on average. Next year, I'll need a passport at least two and possibly three times.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
What's a "Real ID"?
ID which has the kind of security features which other countries' ID systems consider basic, and which in theory is supposed to supersede the need to present two or three pieces of ID for a bunch of transactions and procedures.

Last edited by Nava; 11-28-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Got mine renewed (for the third time) in late 2016
Old 11-29-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I voted yes, but technically my passport expired a few weeks ago. I've already sent in the renewal paperwork, though, and am currently waiting for my new passport to be sent back to me.
I renewed my passport a few months before I needed it and was afraid I'd waited too long, so I used the "rush" option. I paid extra ($100?) and was pleasantly surprised when I got it back in a few days.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:07 AM

I have a passport, but it has expired.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 AM

As a US citizen living in Taiwan I’m legally required to have a valid passport.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Yup. I've had a valid passport since about 1986, including diplomatic, official and tourist versions.
So how do the diplomatic and official versions vary from the standard ones? Anything extra?
Old 05-20-2020, 01:30 PM

I applied to renew my passport in February. They have stopped processing applications so I no longer have my passport and don't know when I'll get the new one. I suppose that my late-June trip to Ireland isn't going to happen anyway so my temporary lack of passport won't have any practical implications.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Mine is good for about 7 years. We opted to get passport cards as well, this last round - they're RealID compliant (something our state did not offer at at the time), and they can be used for driving into Canada (and I assume Mexico though we haven't tried).

I imagine the first time I try to pull that out for ID purposes, it'll get scrutinized and loudly declared to NOT be valid ID, as many people aren't familiar with them.
Oh yeah: my husband and I also got Global Entry / TSA Pre-check. He'd gotten it when his work set up a session where the interviews were done en masse at one of the company offices - and he travelled several times with it and found it to really improve the airport checkin experience. So I got mine - and have now used it a grand total of twice. Supposed to be 3 times, but the last time, I made the flight reservation in a huge hurry and didn't realize / notice that i had to enter that info online - so I got to the precheck line at the airport and they sent me back to the line with the hoi polloi
Old 05-20-2020, 03:33 PM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

I just recently lost mine in France. This one was only a year or so old, but I had to the entire new passport fee (not the renewal fee) to get a replacement. I'm surprised at how quickly it arrived. I think it was less than two weeks total from my appointment with the Dept. of State employee, to my receipt of the actual passport book. It probably helped that this was in late January, just as everything was starting to shut down. They probably had a lot fewer people trying to get passports at that time.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I've had 3 passports. First issued in 1994, only used once for a trip to England/Ireland via Indonesia.

Then got another in 2015 which was meant to be valid until 2025, but in Dec last year we wuz robbed two days after returning to Aus from a month in Bali. My handbag, including my passport (amongst other things) were gone.

Of course my other ID like licence etc was also in my bag, so it was a real bloody pain getting another passport!