Old 02-22-2020, 10:17 PM

I missed posting yesterday's numbers due to the maintenance and to my own need for sleep; sorry.

Today tho:

78,766 confirmed infected
2,461 dead
23,133 recovered
Old 02-22-2020, 10:25 PM

There have also been some news developments:

Judge halts plan to move virus patients to California city
Quote:
A federal judge issued a temporary restraining order late Friday to halt the transportation of anyone who has tested positive for the new coronavirus to Costa Mesa, a city of 110,000 in the heart of Orange County. U.S. District Judge Josephine L. Stanton scheduled a hearing on the issue Monday.

City officials quickly sought court intervention after learning from the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services that U.S. officials planned to start moving patients to a state-owned facility in Costa Mesa as early as Sunday.

They said in court documents that local officials were not included in the planning effort and wanted to know why the Fairview Developmental Center was considered a suitable quarantine site and what kind of safeguards were in place to prevent the possible transmission of the virus that has spread worldwide.
Trump Regime Overruled CDC, Flew Coronavirus-Infected Americans on Plane With Healthy People: Report
Quote:
One of the U.S. State Department’s evacuation planes was loaded with 328 Americans on Monday when new lab results came back showing that 14 of the passengers had tested positive for the coronavirus. The CDC’s principal deputy director, Anne Schuchat, recommended that the 14 passengers be taken off the plane and receive medical attention in Japan. But Trump officials like Robert Kadlec, assistant secretary for preparedness and response at HHS, disagreed with the CDC, according to the Washington Post.

Kadlec, who previously worked as a special assistant to President George W. Bush and serves as a member of the Trump regime’s coronavirus task force, reportedly argued that the planes that had been chartered by the government contained seats which could be cordoned off for any infected passengers. This news wasn’t shared with the other healthy passengers on the flight, many of whom only learned about flying with infected passengers after they landed in the U.S. and saw news reports.
South Korea & Italy continue to see a rapid escalation of infections.
Quote:
South Korea reported an eight-fold jump in viral infections Saturday with more than 400 cases mostly linked to a church and a hospital, while the death toll in Iran climbed to six and a dozen towns in Italy effectively went into lockdowns as health officials around the world battle a new virus that has spread from China.

Some virus clusters have shown no direct link to travel to China. The spread in Italy prompted local authorities in the Lombardy and Veneto regions to order schools, businesses, and restaurants closed and to cancel sporting events and Masses. Hundreds of residents and workers who came into contact with an estimated 79 people confirmed infected in Italy were in isolation pending test results. Two people infected with the virus have died.

South Korea has reported 433 cases and its third death from the virus, a man in his 40s who was found dead at home and posthumously tested positive. There’s concern that the country’s death toll could grow. In and around South Korea’s fourth-largest city, Daegu, health workers scrambled to screen thousands. Virus patients with signs of pneumonia or other serious conditions at the Cheongdo hospital were transferred to other facilities, 17 of them in critical condition, Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip told reporters.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:15 PM

79,360 confirmed infected
2,619 dead
24,963 recovered

South Korea continues to see more infections confirmed as does China.
Quote:
The 161 new cases bring South Korea’s total to 763 cases, and two more deaths raise its toll to seven.

China also Monday reported 409 new cases, raising the mainland’s total to 77,150 after a zigzag pattern of increases in recent days. The 150 new deaths from the COVID-19 illness raised China’s total to 2,592 and showed a spike after hovering below 100 for four days. All but one death were in Hubei province, where the outbreak emerged in December.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:31 AM

Here in Padua they've now cancelled practically all my lessons (I'm a free-lance teacher) if not my rent, and all public events and markets. We're not under quarantine in that we can come and go as we please, but it's no fun at all. Some of my friends are so scared they won't even leave the house apart from grocery shopping.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:35 AM

Iran is now reporting they have had 50 deaths from Coronovirus.

That is massive. More than any Chinese province other then Hubei. Must mean thousands infected.

Twitter

Edit: This is apparently an official in Qom, but the central govt is denying it.

Last edited by blue infinity; 02-24-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:46 AM

Bit more information on above from AP.

Also: Kuwait, Afghanistan and Bahrain join the infected club.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Tehran has closed its schools for at least a couple of days, and several of Iran's neighbors have closed their borders.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:40 PM

80,147 confirmed infected
2,699 dead
27,657 recovered

Bahrain stopped all flights to and from both Dubai and Sharjah UAE today.
Quote:
The move by Bahrain, a small island off the coast of Saudi Arabia, suggested its monarchy had doubts about screenings of incoming passengers in Dubai and nearby Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates. It said the ban was immediate and would last at least 48 hours.

Bahrain counted its first case of the coronavirus that causes the COVID-19 illness on Monday in a school bus driver who transited Dubai while coming from Iran.
US and SKorea may cut back military moves due to coronavirus
Quote:
After a meeting at the Pentagon to review a full range of issues, including a standoff over U.S. demands that Seoul pay a much bigger share of the cost of hosting American forces, Defense Secretary Mark Esper and South Korean Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo told reporters that coronavirus is a threat to their schedule of military exercises.

The exercises are held periodically throughout the year and are intended to prepare troops and commanders for potential combat against North Korea.

Esper said the top South Korean and American commanders in Seoul “are looking at scaling back” some training exercises “due to concerns about the coronavirus.” He added that he is confident that commanders will find a way to protect troops while also ensuring that both countries “remain fully ready to deal with any threats that we might face together.”

Jeong said the coronavirus situation in his country is “quite serious” and has compelled authorities to limit the movement of troops, which makes it more difficult to conduct exercises with American forces. He said there have been 13 confirmed coronavirus cases in the South Korean military.
http://White House unveils $2.5B eme...ronavirus plan
Quote:
The White House budget office said the funds are for vaccines, treatment and protective equipment. The request was immediately slammed by Democrats as insufficient and came as coronavirus fears were credited with Monday’s 1,000-plus point drop in the Dow Jones Industrial Average and are increasingly seen as a potential political threat to President Donald Trump.

The request was released Monday evening and came as key government accounts were running low. The Department of Health and Human Services had already tapped into an emergency infectious disease rapid response fund and was seeking to transfer more than $130 million from other HHS accounts to combat the virus but is pressing for more.
Quote:
The administration is requesting $1.25 billion in new funding and wants to transfer $535 million more in funding from an Ebola preparedness account that’s been a top priority of Democrats. It anticipates shifting money from other HHS accounts and other agencies to complete the $2.5 billion response plan.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:59 PM

It has already been mentioned...Dow plunges 1,000 points on coronavirus fears, 3.5% drop is worst in two years

but check out this line:
Quote:
The benchmark 10-year note yield fell to 1.369% on Monday, putting the key rate close to it all-time low closing around 1.36%
The 10 year Ts can affect mortgage rates. I just happened to have my paperwork ready to go today, and pulled a refi at 1% lower than my old rate. I don't know if they will go down even lower or what, but mortgage rates are really low as of today.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:45 AM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

I'm going to go ahead and call this a pandemic.

It fits the WHO's definition. I'm not sure why they are holding off.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

I noticed the wuhanvirus page has Iran with 12 deaths and only 64 cases. That's way higher death rate than anywhere else. But I also heard they're having difficulty getting test kits due to US sanctions. So there's likely many more cases there that have not been confirmed.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:42 AM

Interesting page here. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...-23-death-rate

It states a 2.3% case-fatality rate, much worse in the elderly.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookahMacPhellimey View Post
Here in Padua they've now cancelled practically all my lessons (I'm a free-lance teacher) if not my rent, and all public events and markets. We're not under quarantine in that we can come and go as we please, but it's no fun at all. Some of my friends are so scared they won't even leave the house apart from grocery shopping.
It looks like they did cancel Carnival in Venice.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:22 AM

Interesting new The Atlantic article. 2020 is pretty likely to be the new 1919.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:17 AM

Iran's deputy health minister, in charge of Coronavirus taskforce, contracts Coronavirus.

Meanwhile a hotel in Spain's Canary Islands is on lock-down, after an Italian doctor staying there tests positive.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
Iran's deputy health minister, in charge of Coronavirus taskforce, contracts Coronavirus.
Yeah, gotta love the PR image of the deputy health minister on video mopping his forehead and looking sick testing positive for the virus the next day.

Hmm... this is going to be a problem for Iran's government, given how many briefings the guy was giving and that he has probably exposed a lot of the top-level of government.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:07 PM

CDC is telling Americans to be prepared for disruptions to daily life. I'm more worried about this part of it all than I am of contracting and dying of the disease.

Edit: sorry! Meant to put this in the IMHO thread!

Last edited by C3; 02-25-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
CDC is telling Americans to be prepared for disruptions to daily life. I'm more worried about this part of it all than I am of contracting and dying of the disease.
Me, too.

Also, it doesn't help that the CDC isn't long on both what to do and what NOT to do in preparation. "Get extra soap, hand sanitizer, cough drops, tissues, and chicken soup" as suggestions, for example. Also "Please DON'T run out and strip all milk and bread from grocery shelves this afternoon".

Work from home? That's nice - if you can. What about us poor schmoes who can't work from home due to the nature of our jobs? AMF YO-YO?
Old 02-25-2020, 01:14 PM

I noticed the lack of details, as well. I looked to see if there were other articles that expanded on their comments, but nope! All we need now is a run on the banks and people stocking up their armories!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:26 PM

There is some serious fast-tracking going on; health officials recognize that COVID-19 is a serious and urgent problem: NIH clinical trial of remdesivir to treat COVID-19 begins.
Quote:
A randomized, controlled clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the investigational antiviral remdesivir in hospitalized adults diagnosed with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has begun at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) in Omaha. The trial regulatory sponsor is the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health. This is the first clinical trial in the United States to evaluate an experimental treatment for COVID-19, the respiratory disease first detected in December 2019 in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.

The first trial participant is an American who was repatriated after being quarantined on the Diamond Princess cruise ship that docked in Yokohama, Japan and volunteered to participate in the study. The study can be adapted to evaluate additional investigative treatments and to enroll participants at other sites in the U.S. and worldwide.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 PM

Eeeep. Now a known case in my area.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020...amento-county/
Old 02-25-2020, 11:15 PM

81,002 confirmed infected
2,762 deaths
30,070 recovered

Korea had over a hundred confirmed new infections today, including an American soldier.
Quote:
South Korea’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said 134 of the 169 new cases were confirmed in Daegu, where the government has been mobilizing public health tools to contain the virus. Another 19 cases were in neighboring North Gyeongsang province towns.

A U.S. military statement said the 23-year-old soldier was in self-quarantine at his off-base residence. He had been based in Camp Carroll in a town near Daegu, and visited both Carroll and nearby Camp Walker in recent days, according to the statement.

South Korean authorities and U.S. military health professionals were tracing his contacts to determine if other people may have been exposed.
Italy saw a 45% increase in confirmed infections and several other European countries saw their first confirmed infections.
Quote:
Italian officials reported 11 deaths and 322 confirmed cases of the virus, 100 more than a day earlier. While the majority were concentrated in northern Italy, some of the new cases registered outside the country’s two hard-hit regions, including three in Sicily, two in Tuscany and one in Liguria.
Quote:
Six European countries announced cases of COVID-19 disease Tuesday in people who had recently traveled from northern Italy, where the virus emerged as a fast-growing cluster last week.

For Switzerland, Austria and Croatia it was the first confirmed new coronavirus cases in those countries. Germany, France and Spain, which had previously reported cases, confirmed new infections in people who were from or had visited northern Italy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Eeeep. Now a known case in my area.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020...amento-county/
There are currently 57 confirmed infections in the US.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:38 PM

First South American case, in Brazil. I have no idea of their testing ability.

Second case in Africa, Algeria.

Switzerland joins the club. Austria and Croatia are also in.

The city of San Francisco, with zero cases, has declared a state of emergency.

In good news, China may actually be getting things under control. That would be amazing. Good job!

I remain dubious of Russia. India has been remarkably lucky so far.

Last edited by steatopygia; 02-25-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
First South American case, in Brazil. I have no idea of their testing ability.
Quote:
Second case in Africa, Algeria.
Quote:
The city of San Francisco, with zero cases, has declared a state of emergency.
Do you have cites for these items? Thank you.

I'm especially curious about the first two items. The Johns Hopkins site does not show any confirmed infections in Brazil at this time and only shows 1 confirmed infection in Algeria.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-25-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:58 PM

Here's one for the statement about San Francisco:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...break/2241796/

Last edited by Seanette; 02-25-2020 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Let's try that with the CORRECT link, shall we?
Old 02-26-2020, 12:10 AM

This page , thewuhanvirus.com .

I haven't been able to figure out the update schedule on the Johns Hopkins page. I'm not sure it has a defined schedule. The Wuhanflu page has been accurate though I believe it is just using news sources. YMMV
Old 02-26-2020, 12:19 AM

I just found a blog post on the Johns Hopkins site that outlines how they go about updating. I think it is too long to post here. Link to the blog.
The pertinent information is on the Feb. 11th post.

ETA Algeria is the second country in Africa. Egypt was the first.

Last edited by steatopygia; 02-26-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:23 AM

Quote:
It looks like they did cancel Carnival in Venice.
They did, yes. ☹️ I have a guest who came especially for it. Luckily we did manage to go one day before it was cancelled. Might go sightseeing instead today.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

As I understand it, San Francisco's cases are all evacuees; there are no locally-transmitted cases. The emergency declaration just allows for easier funding and fewer regulatory constraints.

The spike in South Korea seems to be associated with an extremist religious sect that some are calling a death cult.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Do you have cites for these items? Thank you.

I'm especially curious about the first two items.
Major news sites are corroborating the Brazilian case now, though only within the last half hour or so.

On the CDC's coronavirus global map, they show Algeria's case(s?), but not Brazil's. I think there is some lag before CDC (and I guess Johns Hopkins) updates.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
This page , thewuhanvirus.com .
This link still shows Algeria with one case, which matches Worldometers' counter, BNO's counter, and major news sites' info.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:14 AM

Pakistan may have two cases now - waiting for major news site corroboration. But these preliminary reports have been holding up.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:14 PM

So far I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

Once you've had COVID-19, are you now immune to it?
Old 02-26-2020, 12:57 PM

Awhile ago, I read some prominent people saying we Needed to solve the overpopulation crisis. I think this might be their way...
Old 02-26-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
So far I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

Once you've had COVID-19, are you now immune to it?
No; recovery does not appear to convey immunity.

There was a man in China this week who had recovered and was diagnosed again with COVID-19; I'm having trouble locating the article now but it was linked in one of the threads here on the Dope.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-26-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:24 PM

New situation report from WHO

I think this may be the first day that new cases inside China (412) are fewer than those outside China (459)

South Korea seems to be ramping up much faster than I'd like (1261 total, 284 new since yesterday)

It now seems to be firmly established in the middle east. If it gets into Syria or other war-torn zones, all bets are off.

I don't think we have any situational awareness of whether or not it is in Africa at this point.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:

There was a man in China this week who had recovered and was diagnosed again with COVID-19; I'm having trouble locating the article now but it was linked in one of the threads here on the Dope.
I think this is in no way established. One possible case from the center of an epidemic is nothing I would count on.

Last edited by steatopygia; 02-26-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The number of coronavirus cases in Italy has jumped to 400, amid international efforts to contain the spread of the deadly outbreak.

The rise in Italy, the main focus of infection in Europe, represents a 25% surge in 24 hours.

Several European countries announced new cases traced to Italy.

Also on Wednesday, the World Health Organization said that for the first time the virus was spreading faster outside China, where it originated.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51645902
Old 02-26-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Maybe, maybe not - there was some dispute about it, that maybe he'd been released before he was actually recovered. There's only one report of someone being reinfected, and that's it.

Maybe you don't gain immunity.... but that would be unusual. So I'm not convinced the question is settled yet.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:58 PM

It would be unusual to recover and gain no immunity at all but infection with the established human coronaviruses usually do NOT evoke long lasting immunity, sometimes not enough to get through an entire season. My understanding is that reinfection with the same species of human coronavirus within the same season occurs.

Part of the issue may be that the antibody level drops off, but these viruses also change their external face (the receptor binding protein - RBP - in the spikes) fairly quickly.
Quote:
Why don't we ever develop immunity against the common cold? The incredible variability of coronaviruses is better understood with this study about the ways in which coronaviruses adapt and evolve, becoming ever more effective at infecting hosts without being defeated by the immune system. The receptor binding domain (RBD) of coronavirus S-protein displays three highly variable extended loops that modulate the affinity to both the receptor on a target cell and the neutralizing antibodies. ... The spikes are made up of S proteins (S for spike). A specific part of the spike seems to allow the virus to attach itself to host cells. The spike's RBD (receptor binding domain), which initiates the interaction between cell and virus, is essential for infection. But RBDs are targeted by antibodies that neutralize the virus and allow the immune system to flush it out of the host's system.

Coronaviruses are thus faced with an evolutionary problem. They can't infect cells without an RBD, which needs to be exposed so that it can latch onto cells. But the RBD needs to be masked to avoid being targeted by antibodies.

In response, the coronavirus has developed a mechanism that helps it survive, and thrive. The RBD is made up of three parts that vary widely between strains. Thanks to this variation, antibodies are unable to detect new strains, whereas RBDs retain -- and even improve -- their affinity for the target cell. Plus, RBDs alternate between visible and masked states. ...
Old 02-26-2020, 11:01 PM

So the good news is the mortality rate is only 2%. The bad news is you could catch it 50 times.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:20 PM

82,164 confirmed infections
2,801 dead
32,872 recovered

There are currently at least 60 confirmed infections in the US; today's new US patients also brought this news:
Quote:
A new coronavirus case in California could be the first in the U.S. that has no known connection to travel abroad or another known case, a possible sign the virus is spreading in a U.S. community, health officials said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported the case Wednesday.

California officials said the person is a resident of Solano County, northeast of San Francisco, and is getting medical care in Sacramento County. They said they have begun the process of tracking down people who the patient has been in contact with, a process known as contact tracing.

The patient was brought to UC Davis Medical Center from another Northern California hospital on Feb. 19 but it was four days before the CDC heeded a request to test the patient for COVID-19, according to an email sent to employees Wednesday by the hospital’s interim CEO, Brad Simmons, and David Lubarsky, CEO of UC Davis Health.
Trump put Pence in charge of the US effort against the virus.

China and South Korea continue to report new confirmed infections in the hundreds per day and are seeing it spread still.
Quote:
South Korea reported 334 more cases, bringing its total to 1,595. Most of the new cases were in the country’s fourth-biggest city, Daegu, where the outbreak has hit hardest and the national government has mobilized public health tools to assist the region’s overwhelmed medical system.

But there are signs the virus is spreading further in South Korea with 55 cases reported so far in the capital, Seoul, and 58 in the second-largest city, Busan. The country also confirmed its 13th death Thursday, with most still in and near Daegu.

China reported 433 new cases along with 29 additional deaths. Thursday’s updates bring mainland China’s totals to 78,497 cases, and 2,744 deaths.

Of the new cases, 383 were in the epicenter of the city of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged in December. Wuhan also accounted for 19 of the new deaths.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:48 PM

A judge in California had issued an injunction against quarantine.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, Wuhan's new target date for starting the quarantine process to reopen factories is 10 March. In other words, on 10 March, a small select group will be able to go into quarantine outside the factory, in order to start working on 24 March. The 10 March date is the current plan of record, and subject to change....
Old 02-27-2020, 12:06 AM

COVID-19 is starting to affect religious worship.

Ash Wednesday sprinkles not smudges in the Philippines.
Quote:
In the Philippines — Asia’s only majority Roman Catholic country — priests sprinkled ashes on the heads of the faithful rather than making the mark of the cross on their foreheads to avoid physical contact.

“Wherever the ash is placed, on the forehead or on the head, the feeling is the same, it’s uplifting,” Editha Lorenzo, a 49-year-old mother of two wearing a face mask, told The Associated Press in Manila.
Quote:
the patriarchate of Venice canceled the Mass scheduled for St. Mark’s Basilica, after a handful of elderly people in the lagoon city tested positive for the virus.
Saudi Arabia halts travel to Islam’s holiest site over virus.
Quote:
Saudi Arabia on Thursday halted travel to the holiest sites in Islam over fears about a new viral epidemic just months ahead of the annual hajj pilgrimage, a move coming as the Mideast has over 220 confirmed cases of the illness.

The extraordinary decision by Saudi Arabia stops foreigners from reaching the holy city of Mecca and the Kaaba, the cube-shaped structure the world’s 1.8 billion Muslims pray toward five times a day. It also said travel was suspended to Prophet Muhammad’s mosque in Medina.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:17 AM

I got to work this morning and read in the news that the first known case in my city (Vienna) has just been confirmed. The patient is being isolated in a hospital a few kilometres from my office.

On top of this I'm scheduled to attend two conferences in northern Italy, one in March and one in June. I'm the keynote speaker at one of them, and a co-organizer of a track at the second, so I can't really pull out unless it's absolutely necessary. Fortunately, neither event is taking place in one of the affected areas, though who knows whether the disease will spread to them soon (or whether Vienna itself will go into lockdown). I guess I'll just have to monitor the situation and the Italian and Austrian governments' travel advisories.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
So the good news is the mortality rate is only 2%. The bad news is you could catch it 50 times.
Getting re-infected with a modified strain of can make you very sick indeed. You get an immune reaction, but it doesn't kill the virus, so you get a massive self-destructive non-limiting immune reaction to go along with the viral effects.

I've been wondering if that was already happening (given the 50% mortality rate for those patients who have already progressed to critical care), but it appears that (so far) I was wrong. It's just a very destructive virus.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:32 AM

Update: I've just learned that the conference I was due to speak at in March has been postponed indefinitely. The website explains that many attendees and keynote speakers have already had to cancel due to their companies' policies about travel to northern Italy, and that the organizers have decided to delay the entire conference out of concern for the health of attendees. They're aiming to reschedule for June or July, though they might not make any firm decision about this until May.

Meanwhile, the organizers of the other conference I am due to attend in June are downplaying the risk. They've extended the registration and submission deadlines, and have posted the following banner on their social media feed (all formatting and typos reproduced as-is):

Quote:
I T A L I A N
C O R O N A V I R U S

No more risks than
other EU countires!

Just more prevention
than other EU countries!

Much more
ITALIAN DRAMA STYLE!

INFORMATION IS THE KEY

Come and visit us,
our country is safe!
Old 02-27-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
A judge in California had issued an injunction against quarantine.
Several people have said that here, but as far as I can tell the only injunction has been against transferring patients or quarantined people from a federal facility to a specific state owed facility in California, because the city is too frightened to have them there.

Last edited by Shmendrik; 02-27-2020 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:00 AM

The new US case is very concerning as the patient's exposure to the virus is unknown and this strongly suggests this was down to community spread. It also took the hospital a number of days to diagnose the patient and it appears that was only at the repeated insistence of the doctors. Testing on any sort of scale has been almost non-existent in the US so once it picks up we should not be surprised if it's discovered that the US is already in the middle of an outbreak.

Last edited by Fiendish Astronaut; 02-27-2020 at 08:01 AM.