Old 04-24-2020, 08:39 PM

This just in: the makers of Lysol are telling people not to drink, inject, or otherwise take their cleaning products internally because of Trump. https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/lysol...105047346.html
Old 04-24-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Doctors are noticing a small-ish trend in strokes related to covid-19. These are people in the 30~50-y/o range, with negligible/no breathing trouble, showing incidence of massive occlusions of a type that is very uncommon for people under 60. In at least one case, as the surgeon was clearing one blockage, more were already forming.

There is speculation (backed by some compelling evidence) that COVID attacks blood vessels.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:05 PM

2,830,255 total cases
197,254 dead
798,824 recovered

In the US:

925,038 total cases
52,185 dead
110,432 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
2,725,920 total cases
191,060 dead
745,905 recovered

In the US:

886,709 total cases
50,243 dead
85,922 recovered
The US recorded the most new cases in a single day so far with over 38,000.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 04-24-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
The US recorded the most new cases in a single day so far with over 38,000.
And we're looking at a total 1M cases by EOD Monday.

Last edited by squeegee; 04-24-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:36 PM

I think the most important breaking news on this virus will relate to the extreme vulnerability of those with serious underlying issues. It is appearing more and more that the virus is of very little threat to the general public and the media has known this all along as well as the health organizations. I foresee a major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media. The public was intentionally misled with total disregard for the public or the country at large.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I think the most important breaking news on this virus will relate to the extreme vulnerability of those with serious underlying issues. It is appearing more and more that the virus is of very little threat to the general public and the media has known this all along as well as the health organizations. I foresee a major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media. The public was intentionally misled with total disregard for the public or the country at large.
...I just read a thread on twitter about a woman who has has just lost her aunt, her grandmother, and now her mum to Covid-19. I find the claim that this is of "very little threat to the general public" to be an extraordinary claim considering that Covid-19 has claimed nearly 200,000 lives worldwide, 50,000 of those lives in America. Can you quantify what drove you to this belief? Do you think I'm at risk? How about the other people posting in this thread?

The only scandal you should be worried about is the misinformation campaign being waged by the US Federal Government. There is no evidence of a "major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media." ZERO evidence of this.

The people you are accusing of "intentionally misleading with total disregard for the public or the country" are trying to save your life. And they will continue to try and save your life even as you make baseless accusations against them.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:28 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Moderator Instructions

You are to refrain from posting idiotic conspiracy theories in this forum. If you want to post such nonsense, post it in Great Debates so it can be properly dealt with.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator
Old 04-25-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...I just read a thread on twitter about a woman who has has just lost her aunt, her grandmother, and now her mum to Covid-19. I find the claim that this is of "very little threat to the general public" to be an extraordinary claim considering that Covid-19 has claimed nearly 200,000 lives worldwide, 50,000 of those lives in America. Can you quantify what drove you to this belief? Do you think I'm at risk? How about the other people posting in this thread?

The only scandal you should be worried about is the misinformation campaign being waged by the US Federal Government. There is no evidence of a "major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media." ZERO evidence of this.

The people you are accusing of "intentionally misleading with total disregard for the public or the country" are trying to save your life. And they will continue to try and save your life even as you make baseless accusations against them.
I wonder what percentage of normal healthy people are getting it? I know it is a serious bug, extremely serious for some groups. But I see young people every day traumatized and scared to death. Something is seriously wrong here and it has to do with the public being misled,
Old 04-25-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
This is a very odd opinion given the number of people that clearly have died from it. Yes, only a small portion of the public is apparently susceptible, but we have no way of knowing whether we as individuals are or not, so it makes sense to be cautious. Even if you are asymptomatic, you may spread it to others who will have it much worse. I don't think the public has been misled about the high percentage of asymptomatic infections; at least as I've been following the story as it's developed, it's been clear to me that the large amount of asymptomatic infections are the main reason it's such a problem to contain. Unless you fully contact trace and test everyone, there are going to be people spreading it without knowing, and with a not-insignificant subset of the population susceptible, that's why there are so many deaths.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:43 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
I wonder what percentage of normal healthy people are getting it? I know it is a serious bug, extremely serious for some groups. But I see young people every day traumatized and scared to death. Something is seriously wrong here and it has to do with the public being misled,
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post
This is a very odd opinion given the number of people that clearly have died from it. Yes, only a small portion of the public is apparently susceptible, but we have no way of knowing whether we as individuals are or not, so it makes sense to be cautious. Even if you are asymptomatic, you may spread it to others who will have it much worse. I don't think the public has been misled about the high percentage of asymptomatic infections; at least as I've been following the story as it's developed, it's been clear to me that the large amount of asymptomatic infections are the main reason it's such a problem to contain. Unless you fully contact trace and test everyone, there are going to be people spreading it without knowing, and with a not-insignificant subset of the population susceptible, that's why there are so many deaths.
Moderator Instructions

I've already moderated the initial post on this. Don't respond further on this topic in this forum. If you want to address it, do so in Great Debates.

Colibri
QZ Moderator
Old 04-25-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Look again at this story that I linked a few posts back. The virus is affecting young people, 30~50 years old, causing massive strokes, and it seems to attack other organs as well, without presenting the classic lung symptoms. They are not even aware of having it at the time, and are not on the extremes of vulnerability. So far it is a small group of victims, but that is mostly because we have been trying to minimize the spread.

It will go free-range and reach a lot more people and harm them (having a cannot-talk type stroke is pretty bad, especially for a person in their 30s). This thing is not a hyperbovirus, it is not overblown and ultimately there will not be a scandal.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:07 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Look again at this story that I linked a few posts back. The virus is affecting young people, 30~50 years old, causing massive strokes, and it seems to attack other organs as well, without presenting the classic lung symptoms. They are not even aware of having it at the time, and are not on the extremes of vulnerability. So far it is a small group of victims, but that is mostly because we have been trying to minimize the spread.

It will go free-range and reach a lot more people and harm them (having a cannot-talk type stroke is pretty bad, especially for a person in their 30s). This thing is not a hyperbovirus, it is not overblown and ultimately there will not be a scandal.
Moderator Instructions

Once again, take this discussion to another forum. HoneybadgerDC's post does not merit further discussion in this forum.

Colibri
QZ Moderator

Last edited by Colibri; 04-25-2020 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

"I can’t believe I have to say this, but please don’t drink bleach." - Joe Biden
Old 04-25-2020, 04:21 AM

Pal, death has been raised here in new york faster than we thought and now some people still want to reopen their businesses in such a situation.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

[nevermind - post commented on moderated]

Last edited by Broomstick; 04-25-2020 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:17 AM

I forgot to mention: yesterday was also the first day that new infections topped 100,000.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:29 AM

I'll get to the point after a few sentences. Over the years, I have read many statistics related to wars and battles. They usually list the number of dead. Very occasionally they will mention the wounded, but this cohort seems to count less, although any wound, although maybe not life-threatening is definitely life-affecting. The loss of a finger or limb, impaired use of a hand, an arm, a leg, vision, hearing, to name a few. Now with covid-19, we have those death statistics (whether accurate or inaccurate), they are at least a ballpark figure. And now we are seeing the "recovered" statistics. My first reaction is that recovered implies that a patient is now 100%, back to normal. My question is, how true is this, are there health repercussions even for the "recovered"?
Old 04-25-2020, 01:45 PM

Here, have a pair of unnerving stories (in addition to the unnerving one already posted about strokes in healthy younger people):

Coronavirus Antibody Tests: Can You Trust the Results?
A team of scientists worked around the clock to evaluate 14 antibody tests. A few worked as advertised. Most did not.

-- NYTimes; but covid-19 stories may be free.

Quote:
These tests are crucial to reopening the economy, but public health experts have raised urgent concerns about their quality. The new research, completed just days ago and posted online Friday, confirmed some of those fears: Of the 14 tests, only three delivered consistently reliable results. Even the best had some flaws.
The research has not been peer-reviewed and is subject to revision.

'No Evidence' That Recovered COVID-19 Patients Are Immune, WHO Says

Quote:
The World Health Organization has pushed back against the theory that individuals can only catch the coronavirus once, as well as proposals for reopening society that are based on this supposed immunity.

In a scientific brief dated Friday, the United Nations agency said the idea that one-time infection can lead to immunity remains unproven and is thus unreliable as a foundation for the next phase of the world's response to the pandemic.

"Some governments have suggested that the detection of antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could serve as the basis for an 'immunity passport' or 'risk-free certificate' that would enable individuals to travel or to return to work assuming that they are protected against re-infection," the WHO wrote. "There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection."

[ . . . ]

data reported from the world's early COVID-19 hotspots, such as South Korea and China, have shown that a growing number of recovered patients appear to have suffered a relapse of the disease.

By mid-April, Korean health authorities said that scores of people — or just over 2% of the country's recovered patients — were in isolation again after testing positive a second time. And in Wuhan, China, data from several quarantine facilities in the city, which house patients for observation after their discharge from hospitals, show that about 5%-10% of patients pronounced "recovered" have tested positive again.

As yet, it remains unclear precisely why this is occurring — whether it is a sign of a second infection, a reactivation of the remaining virus in the body or the result of an inaccurate antibody test.
If you want to feel slightly less unnerved: at this point these seem more like indicators that we don't know enough yet than that we're utterly screwed. Maybe some or most recovered people actually are immune; not knowing that they're immune isn't the same thing as knowing that they're not. Maybe better tests will be out in short order and the bad ones will be pulled off the market. But we are still way too early in this thing for anybody to get complacent.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
I'll get to the point after a few sentences. Over the years, I have read many statistics related to wars and battles. They usually list the number of dead. Very occasionally they will mention the wounded, but this cohort seems to count less, although any wound, although maybe not life-threatening is definitely life-affecting. The loss of a finger or limb, impaired use of a hand, an arm, a leg, vision, hearing, to name a few. Now with covid-19, we have those death statistics (whether accurate or inaccurate), they are at least a ballpark figure. And now we are seeing the "recovered" statistics. My first reaction is that recovered implies that a patient is now 100%, back to normal. My question is, how true is this, are there health repercussions even for the "recovered"?
It varies. I've read a lot of stories about people with impairs lung function, and sometimes worse problems, after recovering from covid. But I would assume that most of the people who have mild cases and recover are basically okay. I don't think we know for certain, yet, however.

Last edited by puzzlegal; 04-25-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:30 PM

Today in Austria:
  • The Austrian People's Party (ÖVP), the senior coalition partner in government, is enjoying record popularity, thanks in part to its handling of the pandemic. A recent poll pegs the ÖVP's support at 45%. (Note that Austria is a multi-party state; there are current five parties in parliament, and throughout the country's history coalition governments have been the norm, with only rare exceptions. So for any one party to command 45% support is pretty exceptional.)
  • Vienna's version of Oktoberfest, the Wiesn Fest, has announced that this year's event will be online only. IMHO this rather defeats the point of the festival, which is all about enjoying traditional food, drink, and live music in raucous beer halls filled with hundreds of lederhosen-clad revellers. They should have followed Munich's lead and simply cancelled the event.
  • Parents are reportedly not happy about the planned reopening of schools. Two separate opinion polls show support for this at only 51 to 53%.
  • Many airlines, including Belavia and Wizz Air, are now resuming regularly scheduled flights to Vienna.
  • The state of Carinthia has approached the federal ministry of health with plans to reopen its pools and beaches. Visitors will be required to maintain sufficient distance from one another and to wear face masks in certain areas (though presumably not in the water). The health ministry had previously expressed skepticism that reopening indoor pools was feasible, given the propensity of children to comingle.
  • A number of museums in Vienna are planning to reopen their doors in the coming weeks. These include the National Library, the Museum for Applied Art, and possibly the Museum of Technology.
  • Current statistics: 15,117 confirmed infections, 536 deaths, 12,103 recovered.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:06 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stay-home.html

Where the fuck were the cops? If any of them had an open container tickets would have been handed out.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:54 PM

Once again, thank you, psychonaut. Interesting how about half of parents aren’t happy about the reopening of schools.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
I've always been bad about that when reading about the human tolls of war or acute traumatic events like a plane or train crash. I see a list of "casualties" for a battle and I would think: "Don't tell me the casualties, I want to know how many died." Completely ignoring the wounded and sick because "Hey, you're not dead so you're fine, you lucky bastard!"

That's a sort of simplistic, black-or-white thinking that is shallow and not that helpful in times like this. I'm getting better.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stay-home.html

Where the fuck were the cops? If any of them had an open container tickets would have been handed out.
I looked at the photos in your link: "Hey! Pretty young women in bikinis!! I'm so happy I don't objectify them and think coarse, naughty thoughts." Instead I simply think they are murderous, selfish, idiots.

That's Progress, I guess.

Clueless, non-thinking, knuckle-dragger? #MeToo!!!

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 04-25-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
I looked at the photos in your link: "Hey! Pretty young women in bikinis!! I'm so happy I don't objectify them and think coarse, naughty thoughts." Instead I simply think they are murderous, selfish, idiots.

That's Progress, I guess.

Clueless, non-thinking, knuckle-dragger? #MeToo!!!
They are spreading the virus in the middle of the worst part of the pandemic. They are putting their own lives at risk because...youth. Im not sure what your rant is meant to express.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...oung-patients/

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-st...dc7263248.html
Old 04-25-2020, 10:05 PM

The mayor of Beaumont, Texas violated her own stay at home order to go out and get her nails done.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-nail-n1192631
Old 04-25-2020, 11:08 PM

2,921,439 total cases
203,289 dead
836,978 recovered

In the US:

960,896 total cases
54,265 dead
118,162 recovered

Quote:
2,830,255 total cases
197,254 dead
798,824 recovered

In the US:

925,038 total cases
52,185 dead
110,432 recovered
There will prolly be over 3,000,000 total cases worldwide tomorrow. The US will account for nearly one third of them.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:12 AM

And probably Monday the U.S. will hit a million total cases.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:29 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Looks like Honolulu, or at least Waikiki, has started joining in on the 7pm noisy salute to health workers. Heard it for the second night in a row tonight. Unfortunately, judging from the few cries of "Freedom!" mixed in with it, some people apparently think it's a protest against the lockdown.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:56 AM

Wow. I didn't notice it earlier, but New York has now overtaken Spain for total number of infections (288,313 vs. 223,759), nearly equaled it in total fatalities (21,908 vs. 22,902), and, excluding San Marino (which has a total of 40 fatalities), now leads the world in fatalities/million, with 1,117; leading Belgium (597/million) by nearly a factor of two. Spain, otherwise, has the second highest amount of infections after the US.

What's daily life like in New York? Are people coping, are they staying indoors?
Old 04-26-2020, 01:59 AM

Quote:
The Church of God in Christ, the country’s biggest African American Pentecostal denomination, has taken a deep and painful leadership hit with reports of at least a dozen to up to 30 bishops and prominent clergy dying of covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus...

News reports across the country cite local health officials saying specific outbreaks that led to the deaths appeared to stem from conferences and funerals held within the denomination, which is also known by its acronym, COGIC. The denomination, which was founded in the late 1800s and has more than 6 million members, holds large meetings with representatives from its 200 jurisdictions — or regions — each year around February or March. The gatherings of clergy, lay leaders and church staff are called Worker’s Meetings.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...kills-bishops/
Old 04-26-2020, 01:48 PM
Suspended

And if other news ain't enough, try this:

Coronavirus detected on particles of air pollution
Exclusive: Scientists examine whether this route enables infections at longer distances
Quote:
Coronavirus has been detected on particles of air pollution by scientists investigating whether this could enable it to be carried over longer distances and increase the number of people infected.

The work is preliminary and it is not yet known if the virus remains viable on pollution particles and in sufficient quantity to cause disease.

The Italian scientists used standard techniques to collect outdoor air pollution samples at one urban and one industrial site in Bergamo province and identified a gene highly specific to Covid-19 in multiple samples. The detection was confirmed by blind testing at an independent laboratory.
Don't inhale.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:21 PM

Today in Austria:
  • The minister for sport has announced that summer sport camps for youths and children will be permitted. The camps are free to conduct athletic and training exercises where the participants maintain two metres' distance from one another. However, team and contact sports are prohibited.
  • As part of the education ministry's plans for reopening the schools and making up for lost lessons, classes will be held on Ascension Day and Corpus Christi, which are public holidays in Austria. The national teachers' union is not happy about this and has accused the government of breaking the law.
  • Residents of Slovakia held a protest at the Austrian–Slovakian border to protest the Slovakian government's plans to tighten border controls on 1 May. The new controls will require cross-border commuters to show a medical certificate confirming that they are coronavirus-free.
  • Current statistics: 15,175 confirmed infections, 542 deaths, 12,282 recovered. As of 21 April, the coronavirus replication factor is 0.63. The daily growth rate in new infections is −12.3%.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
2,921,439 total cases
203,289 dead
836,978 recovered

In the US:

960,896 total cases
54,265 dead
118,162 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:There will prolly be over 3,000,000 total cases worldwide tomorrow. The US will account for nearly one third of them.
Why are we still seeing over 2000 deaths a day? I thought we had flattened the curve? Shouldn't we be seeing progressively less death each day?
Old 04-26-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
Why are we still seeing over 2000 deaths a day? I thought we had flattened the curve? Shouldn't we be seeing progressively less death each day?
A "flattened" curve is not the same thing as a downward-sloping curve. With a flattened curve you could well see the same number of deaths daily for some period of time.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:45 PM

This week in Slovenia:
  • This week to go / to take away places opened (large queues at McDrives), also some recreational facilities (tenis, golf, etc) and technical and similar outlets. Solo outdoor recreation was never banned here, as wasn't construction work and other core industries (were mauled from other restrictions tho).
  • Next in line to open are hairdressers, physiotherapist et al.
  • Schools stay closed (we are no Denmark to experiment on our children, minister said), also public transport and leaving your municipality without very good reason (like work). Basically, if you can keep it locally and within reasonable social distancing and hygiene, you are free to do almost anything you want on personal or business level (like gardening, roofing, house painting ..).
  • Residents of Slovenia could and can cross border to Austria and Italy and vice versa (but not Croatia and Hungary, you get hard-quarantined there) for commuting reasons (if solo in car).
  • Current statistics pop 2M: 23557 tests/per million, 671 cases/per million, 39 dead/per million (80% in nursing homes for elderly).
  • First results from random population scanning came back. Basically chosen from phone book. Both blood and mucus tests. N about 1000. 3 positive. For now. Still going, first batch should be around 3000. Second batch should include only minors. A lot of EU countries are doing something similar right now.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:53 PM

Taiwan has zero new cases yesterday for a total of 429 cases.

It looks like the number of new infections from the navy ship has leveled off. There were four days in a row of just one and three the day before and two the day before, so one week only had eight new cases.

Looking at the graphs of Taiwan, the number of active cases is 148 from a peak of 310. Taiwan hasn't had to go into a general lockdown and it's still looking good or far. Knock on wood.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Wow. I didn't notice it earlier, but New York has now overtaken Spain for total number of infections (288,313 vs. 223,759), nearly equaled it in total fatalities (21,908 vs. 22,902), and, excluding San Marino (which has a total of 40 fatalities), now leads the world in fatalities/million, with 1,117; leading Belgium (597/million) by nearly a factor of two. Spain, otherwise, has the second highest amount of infections after the US.

What's daily life like in New York? Are people coping, are they staying indoors?
We've been on total lockdown since 3/20 and things were really, REALLY rough starting a week after and up until last week.

My daughter is NYPD and my son is an EMT in Elmont (which borders Queens, which was the most super fucked of the boroughs). For a time the dead were outstripping our capabilities. If you died at home, your family had to sit with your body for sometimes over 24 hours because there were just not enough hours in the day for the ME to get them. And a lot of people were dying at home. Not necessarily of the virus, but because nobody wanted to go into the hotbed vector that are our hospitals. Not enough room in hospital morgues, so refrigerated trucks were parked outside. There are pictures of the mass graves on Hart's Island. Funeral homes were stacking bodies OUTSIDE in 65 degree weather. 20% of NYPD were out sick. Shit was seriously fucked UP.

People are taking lockdown very seriously. There was a drive to protest the lockdown that coordinated with all the national protests. No one showed up. I mean not one, single, solitary person. The police were puzzled. Sure there are stupid people who don't follow the rules. There are upwards of 15 million people here, of course there will be assholes. But my daughter tells of a call she got. It came in as vandalism and car damage. When she got to the site, it was 5 teenagers in a brand new Lexus who had been parading the car up and down Flatbush. People threw eggs at them from their windows.

Our curve has flattened. My son has gotten in before midnight for the last 4 nights in a row after a month of, well, just insanity. Today was the first day we've had under 400 deaths this April and our governor is contemplating easing up on the lockdown upstate (where it never got anywhere near as bad as downstate). Downstaters are afraid we'll be inside out tiny apartments (lucky for me, I live in a -tiny- house) until at the very least, Thanksgiving. But thing are looking much better. For a second there, I was very worried.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
We've been on total lockdown since 3/20 and things were really, REALLY rough starting a week after and up until last week.

My daughter is NYPD and my son is an EMT in Elmont (which borders Queens, which was the most super fucked of the boroughs). For a time the dead were outstripping our capabilities. If you died at home, your family had to sit with your body for sometimes over 24 hours because there were just not enough hours in the day for the ME to get them. And a lot of people were dying at home. Not necessarily of the virus, but because nobody wanted to go into the hotbed vector that are our hospitals. Not enough room in hospital morgues, so refrigerated trucks were parked outside. There are pictures of the mass graves on Hart's Island. Funeral homes were stacking bodies OUTSIDE in 65 degree weather. 20% of NYPD were out sick. Shit was seriously fucked UP.

People are taking lockdown very seriously. There was a drive to protest the lockdown that coordinated with all the national protests. No one showed up. I mean not one, single, solitary person. The police were puzzled. Sure there are stupid people who don't follow the rules. There are upwards of 15 million people here, of course there will be assholes. But my daughter tells of a call she got. It came in as vandalism and car damage. When she got to the site, it was 5 teenagers in a brand new Lexus who had been parading the car up and down Flatbush. People threw eggs at them from their windows.

Our curve has flattened. My son has gotten in before midnight for the last 4 nights in a row after a month of, well, just insanity. Today was the first day we've had under 400 deaths this April and our governor is contemplating easing up on the lockdown upstate (where it never got anywhere near as bad as downstate). Downstaters are afraid we'll be inside out tiny apartments (lucky for me, I live in a -tiny- house) until at the very least, Thanksgiving. But thing are looking much better. For a second there, I was very worried.
Dear God, you people are having it rough. I'm so sorry.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:09 PM

2,994,958 total cases
206,997 dead
878,955 recovered

In the US:

987,322 total cases
55,415 dead
118,781 recovered

Quote:
2,921,439 total cases
203,289 dead
836,978 recovered

In the US:

960,896 total cases
54,265 dead
118,162 recovered
We did not hit 3,000,000 total cases today but we will tomorrow, along with two other milestones I expect the US to pass.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post

That sounds harrowing. Thanks for that.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
A "flattened" curve is not the same thing as a downward-sloping curve. With a flattened curve you could well see the same number of deaths daily for some period of time.
Also, it depends on which curve you are talking about. Even if you flatten the curve of new infections, the curve of new deaths could continue rise for some time, since the people who died will have contracted the disease some days or weeks earlier.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:32 AM

The King has lifter the 24-hour curfew. I am at the office for the first time this month. On the other hand, nobody else showed up. School is closed until the end of Ramadan. Having been at my desk for ninety minutes, I have discovered work impacts on my naps.

On the other hand, I have empty my in box.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 04-27-2020, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

(thought better of it)

Last edited by Broomstick; 04-27-2020 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
Also, it depends on which curve you are talking about. Even if you flatten the curve of new infections, the curve of new deaths could continue rise for some time, since the people who died will have contracted the disease some days or weeks earlier.
Ah, makes sense, but the masses may not take kindly to the revelation that there were many curves that needed flattening.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:03 AM

Another day of zero new infections in Taiwan, for the fourth time this month and without a domestic transmission for 14 days straight. There have been 281 patients who have recovered and the current number of active cases is at 148.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
2,994,958 total cases
206,997 dead
878,955 recovered

In the US:

987,322 total cases
55,415 dead
118,781 recovered

We did not hit 3,000,000 total cases today but we will tomorrow, along with two other milestones I expect the US to pass.
Am I remembering wrong that they not too long ago lowered best case scenario US deaths from a couple of hundred thousand to 60 thousand? Because we are hitting 60 in the next couple of days.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
Ah, makes sense, but the masses may not take kindly to the revelation that there were many curves that needed flattening.
Too many things to think about! Make it simpler!
Old 04-27-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Am I remembering wrong that they not too long ago lowered best case scenario US deaths from a couple of hundred thousand to 60 thousand? Because we are hitting 60 in the next couple of days.
You're remembering correctly. The IHME model is currently predicting a leveling off at 67k.

Here in Ohio, the IHME estimate back in March was leveling off at over 2000 dead. Two weeks ago that was down to 522, and now it's back up to 808. Still well within the predicted margin but sadly not as good as hoped.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
You're remembering correctly. The IHME model is currently predicting a leveling off at 67k.

Here in Ohio, the IHME estimate back in March was leveling off at over 2000 dead. Two weeks ago that was down to 522, and now it's back up to 808. Still well within the predicted margin but sadly not as good as hoped.
IHME isn't a very good model. I recommend looking at the FiveThirtyEight pandemic modeling survey results and using that to get a sense for where things are more likely to land.