Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2701  
Old 04-24-2020, 08:39 PM
lobotomyboy63 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Secret World
Posts: 4,236
This just in: the makers of Lysol are telling people not to drink, inject, or otherwise take their cleaning products internally because of Trump. https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/lysol...105047346.html
  #2702  
Old 04-24-2020, 08:48 PM
monstro is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 21,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Doctors are noticing a small-ish trend in strokes related to covid-19. These are people in the 30~50-y/o range, with negligible/no breathing trouble, showing incidence of massive occlusions of a type that is very uncommon for people under 60. In at least one case, as the surgeon was clearing one blockage, more were already forming.

There is speculation (backed by some compelling evidence) that COVID attacks blood vessels.
  #2703  
Old 04-24-2020, 11:05 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 29,252
2,830,255 total cases
197,254 dead
798,824 recovered

In the US:

925,038 total cases
52,185 dead
110,432 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
2,725,920 total cases
191,060 dead
745,905 recovered

In the US:

886,709 total cases
50,243 dead
85,922 recovered
The US recorded the most new cases in a single day so far with over 38,000.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 04-24-2020 at 11:09 PM.
  #2704  
Old 04-24-2020, 11:30 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 9,337
Quote:
The US recorded the most new cases in a single day so far with over 38,000.
And we're looking at a total 1M cases by EOD Monday.

Last edited by squeegee; 04-24-2020 at 11:35 PM.
  #2705  
Old 04-24-2020, 11:36 PM
HoneyBadgerDC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance Ca
Posts: 8,375
I think the most important breaking news on this virus will relate to the extreme vulnerability of those with serious underlying issues. It is appearing more and more that the virus is of very little threat to the general public and the media has known this all along as well as the health organizations. I foresee a major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media. The public was intentionally misled with total disregard for the public or the country at large.
  #2706  
Old 04-24-2020, 11:58 PM
Banquet Bear's Avatar
Banquet Bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 6,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I think the most important breaking news on this virus will relate to the extreme vulnerability of those with serious underlying issues. It is appearing more and more that the virus is of very little threat to the general public and the media has known this all along as well as the health organizations. I foresee a major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media. The public was intentionally misled with total disregard for the public or the country at large.
...I just read a thread on twitter about a woman who has has just lost her aunt, her grandmother, and now her mum to Covid-19. I find the claim that this is of "very little threat to the general public" to be an extraordinary claim considering that Covid-19 has claimed nearly 200,000 lives worldwide, 50,000 of those lives in America. Can you quantify what drove you to this belief? Do you think I'm at risk? How about the other people posting in this thread?

The only scandal you should be worried about is the misinformation campaign being waged by the US Federal Government. There is no evidence of a "major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media." ZERO evidence of this.

The people you are accusing of "intentionally misleading with total disregard for the public or the country" are trying to save your life. And they will continue to try and save your life even as you make baseless accusations against them.
  #2707  
Old 04-25-2020, 12:28 AM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 45,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I think the most important breaking news on this virus will relate to the extreme vulnerability of those with serious underlying issues. It is appearing more and more that the virus is of very little threat to the general public and the media has known this all along as well as the health organizations. I foresee a major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media. The public was intentionally misled with total disregard for the public or the country at large.
Moderator Instructions

You are to refrain from posting idiotic conspiracy theories in this forum. If you want to post such nonsense, post it in Great Debates so it can be properly dealt with.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator
  #2708  
Old 04-25-2020, 12:29 AM
HoneyBadgerDC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Torrance Ca
Posts: 8,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...I just read a thread on twitter about a woman who has has just lost her aunt, her grandmother, and now her mum to Covid-19. I find the claim that this is of "very little threat to the general public" to be an extraordinary claim considering that Covid-19 has claimed nearly 200,000 lives worldwide, 50,000 of those lives in America. Can you quantify what drove you to this belief? Do you think I'm at risk? How about the other people posting in this thread?

The only scandal you should be worried about is the misinformation campaign being waged by the US Federal Government. There is no evidence of a "major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media." ZERO evidence of this.

The people you are accusing of "intentionally misleading with total disregard for the public or the country" are trying to save your life. And they will continue to try and save your life even as you make baseless accusations against them.
I wonder what percentage of normal healthy people are getting it? I know it is a serious bug, extremely serious for some groups. But I see young people every day traumatized and scared to death. Something is seriously wrong here and it has to do with the public being misled,
  #2709  
Old 04-25-2020, 12:31 AM
glowacks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I think the most important breaking news on this virus will relate to the extreme vulnerability of those with serious underlying issues. It is appearing more and more that the virus is of very little threat to the general public and the media has known this all along as well as the health organizations. I foresee a major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media. The public was intentionally misled with total disregard for the public or the country at large.
This is a very odd opinion given the number of people that clearly have died from it. Yes, only a small portion of the public is apparently susceptible, but we have no way of knowing whether we as individuals are or not, so it makes sense to be cautious. Even if you are asymptomatic, you may spread it to others who will have it much worse. I don't think the public has been misled about the high percentage of asymptomatic infections; at least as I've been following the story as it's developed, it's been clear to me that the large amount of asymptomatic infections are the main reason it's such a problem to contain. Unless you fully contact trace and test everyone, there are going to be people spreading it without knowing, and with a not-insignificant subset of the population susceptible, that's why there are so many deaths.
  #2710  
Old 04-25-2020, 12:43 AM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 45,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I wonder what percentage of normal healthy people are getting it? I know it is a serious bug, extremely serious for some groups. But I see young people every day traumatized and scared to death. Something is seriously wrong here and it has to do with the public being misled,
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post
This is a very odd opinion given the number of people that clearly have died from it. Yes, only a small portion of the public is apparently susceptible, but we have no way of knowing whether we as individuals are or not, so it makes sense to be cautious. Even if you are asymptomatic, you may spread it to others who will have it much worse. I don't think the public has been misled about the high percentage of asymptomatic infections; at least as I've been following the story as it's developed, it's been clear to me that the large amount of asymptomatic infections are the main reason it's such a problem to contain. Unless you fully contact trace and test everyone, there are going to be people spreading it without knowing, and with a not-insignificant subset of the population susceptible, that's why there are so many deaths.
Moderator Instructions

I've already moderated the initial post on this. Don't respond further on this topic in this forum. If you want to address it, do so in Great Debates.

Colibri
QZ Moderator
  #2711  
Old 04-25-2020, 01:02 AM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I think the most important breaking news on this virus will relate to the extreme vulnerability of those with serious underlying issues. It is appearing more and more that the virus is of very little threat to the general public and the media has known this all along as well as the health organizations. I foresee a major scandal implicating corroboration between the health organizations and the media. The public was intentionally misled with total disregard for the public or the country at large.
Look again at this story that I linked a few posts back. The virus is affecting young people, 30~50 years old, causing massive strokes, and it seems to attack other organs as well, without presenting the classic lung symptoms. They are not even aware of having it at the time, and are not on the extremes of vulnerability. So far it is a small group of victims, but that is mostly because we have been trying to minimize the spread.

It will go free-range and reach a lot more people and harm them (having a cannot-talk type stroke is pretty bad, especially for a person in their 30s). This thing is not a hyperbovirus, it is not overblown and ultimately there will not be a scandal.
  #2712  
Old 04-25-2020, 01:07 AM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 45,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Look again at this story that I linked a few posts back. The virus is affecting young people, 30~50 years old, causing massive strokes, and it seems to attack other organs as well, without presenting the classic lung symptoms. They are not even aware of having it at the time, and are not on the extremes of vulnerability. So far it is a small group of victims, but that is mostly because we have been trying to minimize the spread.

It will go free-range and reach a lot more people and harm them (having a cannot-talk type stroke is pretty bad, especially for a person in their 30s). This thing is not a hyperbovirus, it is not overblown and ultimately there will not be a scandal.
Moderator Instructions

Once again, take this discussion to another forum. HoneybadgerDC's post does not merit further discussion in this forum.

Colibri
QZ Moderator

Last edited by Colibri; 04-25-2020 at 01:08 AM.
  #2713  
Old 04-25-2020, 03:35 AM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 41,236
"I can’t believe I have to say this, but please don’t drink bleach." - Joe Biden
  #2714  
Old 04-25-2020, 04:21 AM
RoneInsta is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NYC
Posts: 1
Pal, death has been raised here in new york faster than we thought and now some people still want to reopen their businesses in such a situation.
  #2715  
Old 04-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 30,488
[nevermind - post commented on moderated]

Last edited by Broomstick; 04-25-2020 at 05:23 AM.
  #2716  
Old 04-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 29,252
I forgot to mention: yesterday was also the first day that new infections topped 100,000.
  #2717  
Old 04-25-2020, 11:29 AM
bardos is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maui
Posts: 1,018
I'll get to the point after a few sentences. Over the years, I have read many statistics related to wars and battles. They usually list the number of dead. Very occasionally they will mention the wounded, but this cohort seems to count less, although any wound, although maybe not life-threatening is definitely life-affecting. The loss of a finger or limb, impaired use of a hand, an arm, a leg, vision, hearing, to name a few. Now with covid-19, we have those death statistics (whether accurate or inaccurate), they are at least a ballpark figure. And now we are seeing the "recovered" statistics. My first reaction is that recovered implies that a patient is now 100%, back to normal. My question is, how true is this, are there health repercussions even for the "recovered"?
  #2718  
Old 04-25-2020, 01:45 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,348
Here, have a pair of unnerving stories (in addition to the unnerving one already posted about strokes in healthy younger people):

Coronavirus Antibody Tests: Can You Trust the Results?
A team of scientists worked around the clock to evaluate 14 antibody tests. A few worked as advertised. Most did not.

-- NYTimes; but covid-19 stories may be free.

Quote:
These tests are crucial to reopening the economy, but public health experts have raised urgent concerns about their quality. The new research, completed just days ago and posted online Friday, confirmed some of those fears: Of the 14 tests, only three delivered consistently reliable results. Even the best had some flaws.
The research has not been peer-reviewed and is subject to revision.

'No Evidence' That Recovered COVID-19 Patients Are Immune, WHO Says

Quote:
The World Health Organization has pushed back against the theory that individuals can only catch the coronavirus once, as well as proposals for reopening society that are based on this supposed immunity.

In a scientific brief dated Friday, the United Nations agency said the idea that one-time infection can lead to immunity remains unproven and is thus unreliable as a foundation for the next phase of the world's response to the pandemic.

"Some governments have suggested that the detection of antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could serve as the basis for an 'immunity passport' or 'risk-free certificate' that would enable individuals to travel or to return to work assuming that they are protected against re-infection," the WHO wrote. "There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection."

[ . . . ]

data reported from the world's early COVID-19 hotspots, such as South Korea and China, have shown that a growing number of recovered patients appear to have suffered a relapse of the disease.

By mid-April, Korean health authorities said that scores of people — or just over 2% of the country's recovered patients — were in isolation again after testing positive a second time. And in Wuhan, China, data from several quarantine facilities in the city, which house patients for observation after their discharge from hospitals, show that about 5%-10% of patients pronounced "recovered" have tested positive again.

As yet, it remains unclear precisely why this is occurring — whether it is a sign of a second infection, a reactivation of the remaining virus in the body or the result of an inaccurate antibody test.
If you want to feel slightly less unnerved: at this point these seem more like indicators that we don't know enough yet than that we're utterly screwed. Maybe some or most recovered people actually are immune; not knowing that they're immune isn't the same thing as knowing that they're not. Maybe better tests will be out in short order and the bad ones will be pulled off the market. But we are still way too early in this thing for anybody to get complacent.
  #2719  
Old 04-25-2020, 01:46 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
I'll get to the point after a few sentences. Over the years, I have read many statistics related to wars and battles. They usually list the number of dead. Very occasionally they will mention the wounded, but this cohort seems to count less, although any wound, although maybe not life-threatening is definitely life-affecting. The loss of a finger or limb, impaired use of a hand, an arm, a leg, vision, hearing, to name a few. Now with covid-19, we have those death statistics (whether accurate or inaccurate), they are at least a ballpark figure. And now we are seeing the "recovered" statistics. My first reaction is that recovered implies that a patient is now 100%, back to normal. My question is, how true is this, are there health repercussions even for the "recovered"?
It varies. I've read a lot of stories about people with impairs lung function, and sometimes worse problems, after recovering from covid. But I would assume that most of the people who have mild cases and recover are basically okay. I don't think we know for certain, yet, however.

Last edited by puzzlegal; 04-25-2020 at 01:47 PM.
  #2720  
Old 04-25-2020, 02:30 PM
psychonaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,392
Today in Austria:
  • The Austrian People's Party (ÖVP), the senior coalition partner in government, is enjoying record popularity, thanks in part to its handling of the pandemic. A recent poll pegs the ÖVP's support at 45%. (Note that Austria is a multi-party state; there are current five parties in parliament, and throughout the country's history coalition governments have been the norm, with only rare exceptions. So for any one party to command 45% support is pretty exceptional.)
  • Vienna's version of Oktoberfest, the Wiesn Fest, has announced that this year's event will be online only. IMHO this rather defeats the point of the festival, which is all about enjoying traditional food, drink, and live music in raucous beer halls filled with hundreds of lederhosen-clad revellers. They should have followed Munich's lead and simply cancelled the event.
  • Parents are reportedly not happy about the planned reopening of schools. Two separate opinion polls show support for this at only 51 to 53%.
  • Many airlines, including Belavia and Wizz Air, are now resuming regularly scheduled flights to Vienna.
  • The state of Carinthia has approached the federal ministry of health with plans to reopen its pools and beaches. Visitors will be required to maintain sufficient distance from one another and to wear face masks in certain areas (though presumably not in the water). The health ministry had previously expressed skepticism that reopening indoor pools was feasible, given the propensity of children to comingle.
  • A number of museums in Vienna are planning to reopen their doors in the coming weeks. These include the National Library, the Museum for Applied Art, and possibly the Museum of Technology.
  • Current statistics: 15,117 confirmed infections, 536 deaths, 12,103 recovered.
  #2721  
Old 04-25-2020, 07:06 PM
madsircool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,652
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stay-home.html

Where the fuck were the cops? If any of them had an open container tickets would have been handed out.
  #2722  
Old 04-25-2020, 07:54 PM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,430
Once again, thank you, psychonaut. Interesting how about half of parents aren’t happy about the reopening of schools.
  #2723  
Old 04-25-2020, 08:50 PM
I Love Me, Vol. I's Avatar
I Love Me, Vol. I is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardos View Post
I'll get to the point after a few sentences. Over the years, I have read many statistics related to wars and battles. They usually list the number of dead. Very occasionally they will mention the wounded, but this cohort seems to count less, although any wound, although maybe not life-threatening is definitely life-affecting. The loss of a finger or limb, impaired use of a hand, an arm, a leg, vision, hearing, to name a few. Now with covid-19, we have those death statistics (whether accurate or inaccurate), they are at least a ballpark figure. And now we are seeing the "recovered" statistics. My first reaction is that recovered implies that a patient is now 100%, back to normal. My question is, how true is this, are there health repercussions even for the "recovered"?
I've always been bad about that when reading about the human tolls of war or acute traumatic events like a plane or train crash. I see a list of "casualties" for a battle and I would think: "Don't tell me the casualties, I want to know how many died." Completely ignoring the wounded and sick because "Hey, you're not dead so you're fine, you lucky bastard!"

That's a sort of simplistic, black-or-white thinking that is shallow and not that helpful in times like this. I'm getting better.
  #2724  
Old 04-25-2020, 08:58 PM
I Love Me, Vol. I's Avatar
I Love Me, Vol. I is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...stay-home.html

Where the fuck were the cops? If any of them had an open container tickets would have been handed out.
I looked at the photos in your link: "Hey! Pretty young women in bikinis!! I'm so happy I don't objectify them and think coarse, naughty thoughts." Instead I simply think they are murderous, selfish, idiots.

That's Progress, I guess.

Clueless, non-thinking, knuckle-dragger? #MeToo!!!

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 04-25-2020 at 08:59 PM.
  #2725  
Old 04-25-2020, 09:09 PM
madsircool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
I looked at the photos in your link: "Hey! Pretty young women in bikinis!! I'm so happy I don't objectify them and think coarse, naughty thoughts." Instead I simply think they are murderous, selfish, idiots.

That's Progress, I guess.

Clueless, non-thinking, knuckle-dragger? #MeToo!!!
They are spreading the virus in the middle of the worst part of the pandemic. They are putting their own lives at risk because...youth. Im not sure what your rant is meant to express.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...oung-patients/

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-st...dc7263248.html
  #2726  
Old 04-25-2020, 10:05 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 18,305
The mayor of Beaumont, Texas violated her own stay at home order to go out and get her nails done.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-nail-n1192631
  #2727  
Old 04-25-2020, 11:08 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 29,252
2,921,439 total cases
203,289 dead
836,978 recovered

In the US:

960,896 total cases
54,265 dead
118,162 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
2,830,255 total cases
197,254 dead
798,824 recovered

In the US:

925,038 total cases
52,185 dead
110,432 recovered
There will prolly be over 3,000,000 total cases worldwide tomorrow. The US will account for nearly one third of them.
  #2728  
Old 04-26-2020, 01:12 AM
PastTense is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8,437
And probably Monday the U.S. will hit a million total cases.
  #2729  
Old 04-26-2020, 01:29 AM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 41,992
Looks like Honolulu, or at least Waikiki, has started joining in on the 7pm noisy salute to health workers. Heard it for the second night in a row tonight. Unfortunately, judging from the few cries of "Freedom!" mixed in with it, some people apparently think it's a protest against the lockdown.
__________________
"Hell is other people." -- Jean-Paul Sartre
  #2730  
Old 04-26-2020, 01:56 AM
Half Man Half Wit's Avatar
Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,060
Wow. I didn't notice it earlier, but New York has now overtaken Spain for total number of infections (288,313 vs. 223,759), nearly equaled it in total fatalities (21,908 vs. 22,902), and, excluding San Marino (which has a total of 40 fatalities), now leads the world in fatalities/million, with 1,117; leading Belgium (597/million) by nearly a factor of two. Spain, otherwise, has the second highest amount of infections after the US.

What's daily life like in New York? Are people coping, are they staying indoors?
  #2731  
Old 04-26-2020, 01:59 AM
PastTense is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8,437
Quote:
The Church of God in Christ, the country’s biggest African American Pentecostal denomination, has taken a deep and painful leadership hit with reports of at least a dozen to up to 30 bishops and prominent clergy dying of covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus...

News reports across the country cite local health officials saying specific outbreaks that led to the deaths appeared to stem from conferences and funerals held within the denomination, which is also known by its acronym, COGIC. The denomination, which was founded in the late 1800s and has more than 6 million members, holds large meetings with representatives from its 200 jurisdictions — or regions — each year around February or March. The gatherings of clergy, lay leaders and church staff are called Worker’s Meetings.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...kills-bishops/
  #2732  
Old 04-26-2020, 01:48 PM
RioRico is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 3,193
And if other news ain't enough, try this:

Coronavirus detected on particles of air pollution
Exclusive: Scientists examine whether this route enables infections at longer distances
Quote:
Coronavirus has been detected on particles of air pollution by scientists investigating whether this could enable it to be carried over longer distances and increase the number of people infected.

The work is preliminary and it is not yet known if the virus remains viable on pollution particles and in sufficient quantity to cause disease.

The Italian scientists used standard techniques to collect outdoor air pollution samples at one urban and one industrial site in Bergamo province and identified a gene highly specific to Covid-19 in multiple samples. The detection was confirmed by blind testing at an independent laboratory.
Don't inhale.
  #2733  
Old 04-26-2020, 04:21 PM
psychonaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,392
Today in Austria:
  • The minister for sport has announced that summer sport camps for youths and children will be permitted. The camps are free to conduct athletic and training exercises where the participants maintain two metres' distance from one another. However, team and contact sports are prohibited.
  • As part of the education ministry's plans for reopening the schools and making up for lost lessons, classes will be held on Ascension Day and Corpus Christi, which are public holidays in Austria. The national teachers' union is not happy about this and has accused the government of breaking the law.
  • Residents of Slovakia held a protest at the Austrian–Slovakian border to protest the Slovakian government's plans to tighten border controls on 1 May. The new controls will require cross-border commuters to show a medical certificate confirming that they are coronavirus-free.
  • Current statistics: 15,175 confirmed infections, 542 deaths, 12,282 recovered. As of 21 April, the coronavirus replication factor is 0.63. The daily growth rate in new infections is −12.3%.
  #2734  
Old 04-26-2020, 04:59 PM
mandala's Avatar
mandala is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Diamond City, Zeta Prime
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
2,921,439 total cases
203,289 dead
836,978 recovered

In the US:

960,896 total cases
54,265 dead
118,162 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:There will prolly be over 3,000,000 total cases worldwide tomorrow. The US will account for nearly one third of them.
Why are we still seeing over 2000 deaths a day? I thought we had flattened the curve? Shouldn't we be seeing progressively less death each day?
__________________
I think, therefore I am... I think
  #2735  
Old 04-26-2020, 05:43 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
Why are we still seeing over 2000 deaths a day? I thought we had flattened the curve? Shouldn't we be seeing progressively less death each day?
A "flattened" curve is not the same thing as a downward-sloping curve. With a flattened curve you could well see the same number of deaths daily for some period of time.
  #2736  
Old 04-26-2020, 06:45 PM
yo han go's Avatar
yo han go is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Europe
Posts: 390
This week in Slovenia:
  • This week to go / to take away places opened (large queues at McDrives), also some recreational facilities (tenis, golf, etc) and technical and similar outlets. Solo outdoor recreation was never banned here, as wasn't construction work and other core industries (were mauled from other restrictions tho).
  • Next in line to open are hairdressers, physiotherapist et al.
  • Schools stay closed (we are no Denmark to experiment on our children, minister said), also public transport and leaving your municipality without very good reason (like work). Basically, if you can keep it locally and within reasonable social distancing and hygiene, you are free to do almost anything you want on personal or business level (like gardening, roofing, house painting ..).
  • Residents of Slovenia could and can cross border to Austria and Italy and vice versa (but not Croatia and Hungary, you get hard-quarantined there) for commuting reasons (if solo in car).
  • Current statistics pop 2M: 23557 tests/per million, 671 cases/per million, 39 dead/per million (80% in nursing homes for elderly).
  • First results from random population scanning came back. Basically chosen from phone book. Both blood and mucus tests. N about 1000. 3 positive. For now. Still going, first batch should be around 3000. Second batch should include only minors. A lot of EU countries are doing something similar right now.
  #2737  
Old 04-26-2020, 06:53 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,957
Taiwan has zero new cases yesterday for a total of 429 cases.

It looks like the number of new infections from the navy ship has leveled off. There were four days in a row of just one and three the day before and two the day before, so one week only had eight new cases.

Looking at the graphs of Taiwan, the number of active cases is 148 from a peak of 310. Taiwan hasn't had to go into a general lockdown and it's still looking good or far. Knock on wood.
  #2738  
Old 04-26-2020, 07:38 PM
Biggirl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 19,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Wow. I didn't notice it earlier, but New York has now overtaken Spain for total number of infections (288,313 vs. 223,759), nearly equaled it in total fatalities (21,908 vs. 22,902), and, excluding San Marino (which has a total of 40 fatalities), now leads the world in fatalities/million, with 1,117; leading Belgium (597/million) by nearly a factor of two. Spain, otherwise, has the second highest amount of infections after the US.

What's daily life like in New York? Are people coping, are they staying indoors?
We've been on total lockdown since 3/20 and things were really, REALLY rough starting a week after and up until last week.

My daughter is NYPD and my son is an EMT in Elmont (which borders Queens, which was the most super fucked of the boroughs). For a time the dead were outstripping our capabilities. If you died at home, your family had to sit with your body for sometimes over 24 hours because there were just not enough hours in the day for the ME to get them. And a lot of people were dying at home. Not necessarily of the virus, but because nobody wanted to go into the hotbed vector that are our hospitals. Not enough room in hospital morgues, so refrigerated trucks were parked outside. There are pictures of the mass graves on Hart's Island. Funeral homes were stacking bodies OUTSIDE in 65 degree weather. 20% of NYPD were out sick. Shit was seriously fucked UP.

People are taking lockdown very seriously. There was a drive to protest the lockdown that coordinated with all the national protests. No one showed up. I mean not one, single, solitary person. The police were puzzled. Sure there are stupid people who don't follow the rules. There are upwards of 15 million people here, of course there will be assholes. But my daughter tells of a call she got. It came in as vandalism and car damage. When she got to the site, it was 5 teenagers in a brand new Lexus who had been parading the car up and down Flatbush. People threw eggs at them from their windows.

Our curve has flattened. My son has gotten in before midnight for the last 4 nights in a row after a month of, well, just insanity. Today was the first day we've had under 400 deaths this April and our governor is contemplating easing up on the lockdown upstate (where it never got anywhere near as bad as downstate). Downstaters are afraid we'll be inside out tiny apartments (lucky for me, I live in a -tiny- house) until at the very least, Thanksgiving. But thing are looking much better. For a second there, I was very worried.
  #2739  
Old 04-26-2020, 08:06 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
We've been on total lockdown since 3/20 and things were really, REALLY rough starting a week after and up until last week.

My daughter is NYPD and my son is an EMT in Elmont (which borders Queens, which was the most super fucked of the boroughs). For a time the dead were outstripping our capabilities. If you died at home, your family had to sit with your body for sometimes over 24 hours because there were just not enough hours in the day for the ME to get them. And a lot of people were dying at home. Not necessarily of the virus, but because nobody wanted to go into the hotbed vector that are our hospitals. Not enough room in hospital morgues, so refrigerated trucks were parked outside. There are pictures of the mass graves on Hart's Island. Funeral homes were stacking bodies OUTSIDE in 65 degree weather. 20% of NYPD were out sick. Shit was seriously fucked UP.

People are taking lockdown very seriously. There was a drive to protest the lockdown that coordinated with all the national protests. No one showed up. I mean not one, single, solitary person. The police were puzzled. Sure there are stupid people who don't follow the rules. There are upwards of 15 million people here, of course there will be assholes. But my daughter tells of a call she got. It came in as vandalism and car damage. When she got to the site, it was 5 teenagers in a brand new Lexus who had been parading the car up and down Flatbush. People threw eggs at them from their windows.

Our curve has flattened. My son has gotten in before midnight for the last 4 nights in a row after a month of, well, just insanity. Today was the first day we've had under 400 deaths this April and our governor is contemplating easing up on the lockdown upstate (where it never got anywhere near as bad as downstate). Downstaters are afraid we'll be inside out tiny apartments (lucky for me, I live in a -tiny- house) until at the very least, Thanksgiving. But thing are looking much better. For a second there, I was very worried.
Dear God, you people are having it rough. I'm so sorry.
  #2740  
Old 04-26-2020, 11:09 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 29,252
2,994,958 total cases
206,997 dead
878,955 recovered

In the US:

987,322 total cases
55,415 dead
118,781 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
2,921,439 total cases
203,289 dead
836,978 recovered

In the US:

960,896 total cases
54,265 dead
118,162 recovered
We did not hit 3,000,000 total cases today but we will tomorrow, along with two other milestones I expect the US to pass.
  #2741  
Old 04-27-2020, 12:30 AM
Half Man Half Wit's Avatar
Half Man Half Wit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
We've been on total lockdown since 3/20 and things were really, REALLY rough starting a week after and up until last week.

My daughter is NYPD and my son is an EMT in Elmont (which borders Queens, which was the most super fucked of the boroughs). For a time the dead were outstripping our capabilities. If you died at home, your family had to sit with your body for sometimes over 24 hours because there were just not enough hours in the day for the ME to get them. And a lot of people were dying at home. Not necessarily of the virus, but because nobody wanted to go into the hotbed vector that are our hospitals. Not enough room in hospital morgues, so refrigerated trucks were parked outside. There are pictures of the mass graves on Hart's Island. Funeral homes were stacking bodies OUTSIDE in 65 degree weather. 20% of NYPD were out sick. Shit was seriously fucked UP.

People are taking lockdown very seriously. There was a drive to protest the lockdown that coordinated with all the national protests. No one showed up. I mean not one, single, solitary person. The police were puzzled. Sure there are stupid people who don't follow the rules. There are upwards of 15 million people here, of course there will be assholes. But my daughter tells of a call she got. It came in as vandalism and car damage. When she got to the site, it was 5 teenagers in a brand new Lexus who had been parading the car up and down Flatbush. People threw eggs at them from their windows.

Our curve has flattened. My son has gotten in before midnight for the last 4 nights in a row after a month of, well, just insanity. Today was the first day we've had under 400 deaths this April and our governor is contemplating easing up on the lockdown upstate (where it never got anywhere near as bad as downstate). Downstaters are afraid we'll be inside out tiny apartments (lucky for me, I live in a -tiny- house) until at the very least, Thanksgiving. But thing are looking much better. For a second there, I was very worried.
That sounds harrowing. Thanks for that.
  #2742  
Old 04-27-2020, 01:45 AM
psychonaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
A "flattened" curve is not the same thing as a downward-sloping curve. With a flattened curve you could well see the same number of deaths daily for some period of time.
Also, it depends on which curve you are talking about. Even if you flatten the curve of new infections, the curve of new deaths could continue rise for some time, since the people who died will have contracted the disease some days or weeks earlier.
  #2743  
Old 04-27-2020, 02:32 AM
Paul in Qatar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 13,430
The King has lifter the 24-hour curfew. I am at the office for the first time this month. On the other hand, nobody else showed up. School is closed until the end of Ramadan. Having been at my desk for ninety minutes, I have discovered work impacts on my naps.

On the other hand, I have empty my in box.
__________________
800-237-5055
Shrine Hospitals for Children (North America)
Never any fee
Do you know a child in need?
  #2744  
Old 04-27-2020, 05:28 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 30,488
(thought better of it)

Last edited by Broomstick; 04-27-2020 at 05:28 AM.
  #2745  
Old 04-27-2020, 06:45 AM
mandala's Avatar
mandala is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Diamond City, Zeta Prime
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
Also, it depends on which curve you are talking about. Even if you flatten the curve of new infections, the curve of new deaths could continue rise for some time, since the people who died will have contracted the disease some days or weeks earlier.
Ah, makes sense, but the masses may not take kindly to the revelation that there were many curves that needed flattening.
__________________
I think, therefore I am... I think
  #2746  
Old 04-27-2020, 07:03 AM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,957
Another day of zero new infections in Taiwan, for the fourth time this month and without a domestic transmission for 14 days straight. There have been 281 patients who have recovered and the current number of active cases is at 148.
  #2747  
Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
2,994,958 total cases
206,997 dead
878,955 recovered

In the US:

987,322 total cases
55,415 dead
118,781 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
We did not hit 3,000,000 total cases today but we will tomorrow, along with two other milestones I expect the US to pass.
Am I remembering wrong that they not too long ago lowered best case scenario US deaths from a couple of hundred thousand to 60 thousand? Because we are hitting 60 in the next couple of days.
  #2748  
Old 04-27-2020, 10:29 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
Ah, makes sense, but the masses may not take kindly to the revelation that there were many curves that needed flattening.
Too many things to think about! Make it simpler!
  #2749  
Old 04-27-2020, 11:05 AM
steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 5,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Am I remembering wrong that they not too long ago lowered best case scenario US deaths from a couple of hundred thousand to 60 thousand? Because we are hitting 60 in the next couple of days.
You're remembering correctly. The IHME model is currently predicting a leveling off at 67k.

Here in Ohio, the IHME estimate back in March was leveling off at over 2000 dead. Two weeks ago that was down to 522, and now it's back up to 808. Still well within the predicted margin but sadly not as good as hoped.
  #2750  
Old 04-27-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 22,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
You're remembering correctly. The IHME model is currently predicting a leveling off at 67k.

Here in Ohio, the IHME estimate back in March was leveling off at over 2000 dead. Two weeks ago that was down to 522, and now it's back up to 808. Still well within the predicted margin but sadly not as good as hoped.
IHME isn't a very good model. I recommend looking at the FiveThirtyEight pandemic modeling survey results and using that to get a sense for where things are more likely to land.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017