Old 05-23-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Huh. Yes, that sounds like it should have stored all right.

Was it harvested in wet weather?
I don't recall. Maybe?
Old 05-23-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
So is it just me who is saying fuck the price, I found it, I want it?? On dumb things like brand name TP or paper towel?? Bleach, wipes or vinegar??
I'm still working (call center contracted to a major bank) and my husband's on worker's comp right now anyway, so my finances are about like normal (not that that's so great), but I've always been pretty price-sensitive, and my shopping standards haven't shifted that much. I can't really afford to.

On most things, I really don't care about brand. There are a few items where there really is a noticeable (to me) difference that makes buying a more expensive version of an item worth it, but disposable items like paper goods aren't on that list for me. I do have a tendency to have some reserve supplies on hand, and am not opposed to DIY on things like wipes. Haven't had the best luck with making hand sanitizer, though (keeps coming out very liquid, can't get a gel for anything).

Also, I have a major hostility for the price-gouging hoarder locusts who swept shelves bare so they could extort exorbitant prices for necessities from their neighbors. I flatly refuse to reward such behavior with my money.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:17 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
transmission keeps shifting

This choice of wording was on purpose, right?
Old 05-23-2020, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Also, I have a major hostility for the price-gouging hoarder locusts who swept shelves bare so they could extort exorbitant prices for necessities from their neighbors. I flatly refuse to reward such behavior with my money.
This is the part that would bother me.

I just wanted to add a thanks to people posting in this thread about what they're finding when they go to the stores. It helps me to decide if items are going back on the shelf so I don't have to check.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
This choice of wording was on purpose, right?
If I had pearls, I'd clutch them.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:33 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
If I had pearls, I'd clutch them.
Just had to double down, didn't you?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Found hand sanitizer.

At my local Walgreens.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I don't recall. Maybe?
Garlic harvested in wet weather sometimes doesn't keep as well; maybe due to fungus infections on the bulbs, not necessarily obvious at harvest.

Other than that -- which doesn't always seem to work that way -- I've got no idea.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:49 PM

On the plus side, I remembered to harvest the basil before it was killed by frost last fall, and it dried beautifully over the winter. (sitting next to garlic.) I just removed the leaves from the stems, and crumpled about half of it into my spice bottle (leaving the rest as whole leaves in a ziplock bag) and it smells wonderful. Not as vibrant and wonderful as fresh, of course, but much better than what I can buy. And the fresh won't be large enough to pluck leaves from for another couple of weeks.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
People are selling necessities to their neighbors? Where? I've not read anything about it.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:53 PM

What I meant is that I strongly believe a lot of the scarcity issues are from hoarder locusts deliberately clearing store shelves so that others in their community cannot obtain necessities without paying extortionate gouging prices to said hoarder locusts, such as on eBay or Amazon. I have also seen photos of people selling (for example) toilet paper out of their cars at insanely high prices ($5/roll sticks out in my mind).
Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

We don't have a Costco or any warehouse-type store for a 50 mile radiius, but I went to our Wal-Mart for the first time in three weeks. I thought they might have restocked from the first panic rush in early March, but the shelves were much emptier now than then. Low on all meats, including chicken, low on eggs, haven't had any paper products for over 2 months; soup, pasta, flour, yeast don't exist anymore. Produce and dairy departments looked pretty well stocked. Large pallets scattered all over, but no one to transfer them to shelves. The in-store Subway is out of business.

As I loaded my car from a shopping cart, an employee came up and offered to take the cart, so I thanked him. He said, "Have a nice day," and I didn't feel obligated to respond again. So he repeated it, in caps, "I said, HAVE A NICE DAY."

I told him, "Sure." I guess some tolerance is in short supply after all.

One thing I don't understand is why Wal-Mart, with all their purchasing muscle, is unable to get adequate supplies. Locally, at least, they are the least stocked of any similar outlets, and have been for two months.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I just got back from Vons. They were pretty much stocked up with everything. If it wasn't for the masks and weird stickers on the floor, you'd think it was February. They had Charmin, garlic, plenty of produce and meat. The only thing they didn't have was all purpose flour. It wasn't very crowded either.

Of course, I'm in California and we are pretty self sufficient when it comes to produce, cattle, chickens and seafood.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
One thing I don't understand is why Wal-Mart, with all their purchasing muscle, is unable to get adequate supplies. Locally, at least, they are the least stocked of any similar outlets, and have been for two months.
I've been trying to figure that out as well. My guess is that a couple things happened all at once. First, Walmart was slammed with demand. Their domestic sales went up by 10%, increasing over $8B from $80B. Also, their online sales rose 74%. In order to keep up with the demand and ramp up quickly, they hired 235K new employees. But those people needed to be trained in a hurry. I don't think it's always that easy to throw that many new people in the mix and expect to get better service. I'm guessing that the merchandise wasn't lacking in many cases. It might have been getting it out of the trucks and on the shelves that was the issue. And then for the online orders, the packing.

Walmart And Target Win Big In Sales But Only Walmart Sees Bottom Line Win

According to this article, other stores, including Target, didn't see as much of an increase in demand until after the stimulus checks. Walmart's problem was more complex than Amazon's too because Walmart is trying to increase online as well as sell in brick and mortar. Amazon has Whole Foods, but it's not on the same scale as Walmart.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:54 AM

I'm seeing toilet paper pretty much everywhere. Sheba cat food in those 24-double pack boxes, however, are out in a lot of stores. And if they do have them at least one flavor will be either salmon or tuna. Imhotep hates both. The trout she thought was great, though.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:52 PM

I'm having some neck pain. I ordered some ThermaCare heat wraps for my Kroger pickup but they didn't have them. On my way home, I decided to stop at Walgreens to see if they had some. Mind you, I haven't been inside a store in several weeks. I should have turned around and left as soon as I got inside. The manager and the two cashiers were wearing their masks on their chins. But my neck hurts so I grabbed two packs as quickly as possible and got in line. More than half the customers were not wearing masks. I kept as far away from the cashier as I could and got out of there.

I have to hope that this is not how most stores are handling things. I thought about saying something but I didn't want to delay my exit. I did send a complaint through the Walgreens website telling them I was going to let everyone know that store is not safe to shop in. I'll never know if that does any good since I'm not going back in there. Things are going to keep getting worse if people don't stop being so stupid. (I can dream, right?)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Yikes, wanted to grill some burgers last night. I'm usually lazy and get the pre-formed ones the butcher shop at the store packages. $9/lb! Regular ground beef was $8/lb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Yes, I couldn't find yeast. And we've been making bread much more than we used to, because we don't want to pop out to buy a loaf these days. So we dusted off the bread machine...
At my most recent Safeway run, on 5/21, there was no yeast, but plenty of ground beef - and at only $3.50/pound (for 80/20) if you were willing to buy 4 pounds of it at a time.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I'm seeing toilet paper pretty much everywhere.
That's what I'm seeing too. Frequently in brands I'd never heard of before, but as long as it'll wipe the bum, that's the main thing. I have my preferences, but this isn't the time to be picky.

When I was in my local Ace Hardware a week ago, they had a pretty good stock of hand sanitizer. (Don't know if it's chain-wide, but our local store is strict about masks, only allowing a limited number of customers in the store at a time, social distancing in the line to get in, etc. Sounds like Lowe's and Home Dopey aren't like that. I love my local Ace. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
What are you guys finding is still perpetually out-of-stock? I haven't been able to find dried chick peas in months, and the canned variety are hit-or-miss.
Haven't looked for dried chickpeas, but have had no trouble finding canned lately.

There's one odd thing I have trouble finding: Pepperidge Farm sandwich white bread. It's what the Firebug makes his sandwiches with. Pre-pandemic, it wasn't particularly hard to find. Now it's nowhere around here - not at Giant or Safeway or Weis or Walmart or the local non-chain grocery. If I don't find more soon, the kid will either have to be less picky about his bread, or give up sandwiches.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 05-24-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 PM

Went to Lowes today (big box home improvement store) and it was almost as if this whole Covid thing never existed. There were people wearing masks, maybe 20%, but the place was jammin' and there was very little social distancing. Now that I have access to masks, I've been wearing them in public places like that but clearly, in my part of Indiana, most people have gone back to pre-virus behavior.

On the plus side, found a couple gallons of disinfectant grade bleach there.

Last edited by River Hippie; 05-24-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:24 AM

Still no TP around here (Norcal) but it does seem to very geography-specific. I was talking to a neighbor about the TP situation and his Dad lives ~20 miles away and that Costco has reliably had toilet paper for several weeks.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:28 AM

I'm in northern California myself and seeing TP at places like Walmart. I don't usually go to Costco in person.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:59 AM

I deliberately go to the grocery store late at night to see how well they're stocked. The TP aisle was completely stocked. had an interesting conversation with the person stocking shelves. He said the buyers didn't place orders like they normally did for TP. they got what the distributors had available in the pipeline.

Still out of spam and now they're out of pitted dates.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
I deliberately go to the grocery store late at night to see how well they're stocked.
Since I'm an early-a.m. insomniac, 6 a.m. Sunday morning has become my regular shopping time. Except for Wal-Mart which doesn't open until 7, they're all open, and even the ones without senior hours are uncrowded enough that I can often go the wrong way down an aisle because there's nobody else on it. And if I have to go to WallyWorld, even they aren't too bad first thing Sunday morning.
Quote:
The TP aisle was completely stocked. had an interesting conversation with the person stocking shelves. He said the buyers didn't place orders like they normally did for TP. they got what the distributors had available in the pipeline.
This totally explains the eclectic variety of TP brands I've been seeing lately. For instance, I've got a 4-pack of Regio TP in the basement; its label is entirely in Spanish.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I live in centre city phila., we have big stores in the neighbourhoods surrounding centre city. I havenít been to the big store in a month. The little corner stores have a pretty good selection. I was able to get bounty paper towels and charmin in the corner store.

The small intercity target didnít have any paper products, or my catís favourite food. Corner store did.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Toilet paper is pretty much back to normal around here, at least for the stuff I buy (the cheap single-ply with 1000 sheets per roll).

One shortage that I didn't anticipate, but makes sense in retrospect, is herbal tea.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Went to Lowes today (big box home improvement store) and it was almost as if this whole Covid thing never existed. There were people wearing masks, maybe 20%, but the place was jammin' and there was very little social distancing. Now that I have access to masks, I've been wearing them in public places like that but clearly, in my part of Indiana, most people have gone back to pre-virus behavior.

On the plus side, found a couple gallons of disinfectant grade bleach there.
I don't know if you might have Menard's stores in your area; they're a low price version of Lowes/Home Depot (like Walmart versus Target). Anyway, they have some strict policies: no one under 16 years old, mandatory masks, six-foot spacing marks. Went there yesterday for some grass seed; it was actually more comfortable and less intimidating because everyone was wearing a mask. No disapproving or judgmental looks, since everyone is following the same rules. I don't shop at Costco but I wonder if shoppers there feel somewhat the same way about the mandatory mask policy.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:25 PM

We're going to try an organic CSA with delivery for 6 months. It's a local consortium so we can get meat and honey as well as produce. They deliver for $5. You order each week (in contrast to the "you get what you get"-style CSA). This ought to improve the quality of the produce and meat, and decrease our Fred Meyer/Albertson's bill, as well as decrease the number of curbside pickups we're making each month. We figure we'll trade, freeze, or dry anything in excess.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Lowes yesterday, and I was surprised: 100% mask use. Seriously. I saw no one without a face covering (where I'm equating face covering and mask, I suppose). Social distancing was awesome too.

I didn't expect this.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:55 PM

Winco shoppers were a bit more attentive to distancing than Walmart shoppers. I think higher mask usage at Winco as well.

And I found hand sanitizer in the wild!
Old 05-26-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Our Asian supermarket (the one I mentioned above where I've never seen dried legumes, but haven't looked either) has had an endcap full of hand sanitizer the last two times I went. They seem to have two brands - one is a 70% alcohol-based sanitizer, and the other seems to be a non-alcohol sanitizer. Asian Family Center on Aurora if anyone in the Seattle area is looking. (And, to be clear, I haven't been in two weeks. This is not a fresh report.)

In exciting news, there was exactly one bag of dried chickpeas at Safeway when we did our shopping Saturday, so we now actually have some. I'm still perplexed why this particular item seems to be in such short supply. I know everyone is baking at home - are they all making hummus, too?

Last edited by Do Not Taunt; 05-26-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I found some on the counter at Ace. And I semi-accidentally dumped it out.

I have never used the stuff at all, but I have been carrying some for a quick dousing as soon as I get back in the car.

I have been using a a travel size shampoo bottle full of homemade stuff, Isopropanol, Aloe, Mint extract. And I am a bit paranoid because it just snaps closed, and doesn't really see to do that very securely, although no noticed spills so far.

Anyway, so at the counter of Ace they had cute little spray bottles, one green, one orange of official stuff. It unfortunately wasn't at my station, but one I had to walk by. I grabbed the green stuff quickly passing by, for some reason assuming it would be mint like mine.

When I got back in the car, I noticed it was actually herbal which didn't seem that bad, so sprayed my hands with that this time; and Oh My God does this shit stink!!. Instant sneezing fit and headache from the most horrible perfume I can ever imagine went into a "health product", absolutely unusable. Held my head out the door like a dog driving home.

I decided to switch my handmade stuff to the good bottle, and dumped the nasty crap into a measuring cup. Then filled the spray bottle. I looked at the stuff in the measuring cup, there is no way I will ever use it, and even if I wanted to give it away, I would be giving it in a baggie or something stupid, so I just poured it out. And made a new batch of my stuff for the shampoo bottle as a backup.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:17 PM

Target today for the first time since SAH. They had signs out front listing items that were in stock/not in stuck. Usual suspects not in stock, Lysol, clorox wipes etc. Pretty long list of things in stock such as eggs, milk, baby wipes.

I didn't go to the grocery side, but a few things I did notice - board games and Legos had lots of bare spots on shelves. There were NO bikes. Zero. Most bike accessories were cleaned out as well.

Cooking implements were picked over with a lot of empty hooks as well. Like nobody had a spatula or whisk before this?

Toddler clothes were really picked over too, but that might just be due to it getting warmer.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
They had signs out front listing items that were in stock/not
Great idea!
Old 05-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cooking implements were picked over with a lot of empty hooks as well. Like nobody had a spatula or whisk before this?
A lot of people did not. As hard as it is for me to imagine, apparently some people really did not cook prior to lockdown. It shouldn't be that hard for me to imagine, as when I met my husband he was eating out all three meals a day and only kept some beverages and snacks in his place.

So yes, a lot of new comers to cooking had to run out and buy tools.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:20 PM

Now I feel better about already having had 4 wire whisks.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Now I feel better about already having had 4 wire whisks.
That's about where I'm at.

One's even pink!
Old 05-26-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Target today for the first time since SAH. They had signs out front listing items that were in stock/not in stuck. Usual suspects not in stock, Lysol, clorox wipes etc.
I went to my local Target a couple of weeks ago and it was the same deal. There was a white board out front listing common items that they had and didn't have. It was the first time I had seen anywhere with hand sanitizer in quite a while but I didn't need any[/quote]

Quote:
I have been doing much more cooking at home and decided that it was time to replace my frying pan and sauce pan that were 1993 wedding presents. The no-stick has been gone for over a decade. The cooking area was nearly completely barren but I was able to find one of each of my items. So while I had those items, the pandemic was my impetus to replace them.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
O
In exciting news, there was exactly one bag of dried chickpeas at Safeway when we did our shopping Saturday, so we now actually have some. I'm still perplexed why this particular item seems to be in such short supply. I know everyone is baking at home - are they all making hummus, too?
They are in short supply here, too - I got a grocery delivery today from a primarily Indian place, and even they were out of chickpeas! They weren't out of chana dal, though, so I bought a 4 lb. bag of those. They aren't what we would normally use for many whole chickpea recipes, but they should make perfectly fine hummus.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:25 PM

Went to Lowe's and Kroger today and was at Lowe's Sunday. About 20% mask usage at Lowe's, better at Kroger. All grocery items at Kroger today were available, only things I noticed still out of stock were isopropyl alcohol and Lysol or quat* style disinfectants. I got two bottles of the hand sanitizer they had, a pump spray of Suave brand 65% alcohol and Slate brand 70% alcohol liquid. The spray was 10 oz. for 3.99 and the Slate was 8 oz. at 6.99 (!). I also found disinfectant grade Clorox bleach at both places and bought 2 gallons because all the bleach I had before this started was sub-disinfectant grade.
One thing I'm noticing is that if there is a couple and one is wearing a mask, it's ALWAYS the woman. At Lowe's especially, it was as if the whole pandemic thing never happened other than, as I said, about 20% mask usage.

* Quat is the common name for quaternary ammonium chloride compounds of which there are about 300 varieties all with varying anti-microbial efficacies. Quats are generally surfactants with cationic (positive) charges. Due to their surfactant make-up, quats contribute cleaning power to their formulas. These products are low in toxicity and corrosivity making them user friendly and simple.
While the advantage of bleach is ultimately the inexpensiveness to use, the rest of the variables are all disadvantages. Bleach is highly corrosive, contains toxic fumes, dissipates quickly, bleaches most fabrics, causes irritation to the eyes and nose, has no cleaning ingredients, dulls floor tiles, and damages floor finish and grout. Bleach is dangerous if mixed with many chemicals and cleaners.

Contrasting view on quats
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Here in northern Calvert County, I haven't noticed anyone not wearing a mask in a store anytime in the past few weeks. That includes Wal-Mart, the local Ace Hardware (good luck getting in w/o mask, and you'd get thrown out on your ear if you didn't wear it in the store), a few different chain groceries, and our local non-chain grocery.

Haven't hit any big-box stores since early March; don't need 'em for anything, thank goodness.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

The local grocery stores are all pretty much 100% mask-required and both the Targets and the fancyish grocery store I do the bulk of my food shopping are limiting customer loads.

Toilet paper supply is slowly returning to normal but as per RTFirefly with an eclectic mix of brands, including multiple Spanish-language versions. Paper towels oddly are trailing - findable, but not consistently.

Overall I'd say the grocery stores are back at maybe 85% of normal, up from maybe 70% ~two weeks ago. Packaged bread which had been scarce has mostly returned, meat counters have re-opened albeit with reduced variety. Canned goods are slowly returning, though again still a little anemic as to variety. Produce has pretty much consistently remained robust, except for a few prepared items. Deli counters have re-opened.

I'm a little curious to see how long before everything returns to 100% of pre-pandemic( if it ever does exactly, there might be some small but permanent shifts in the supply lines ). Back to normal in a month or slow crawl to full normality over the year? No doubt any potential second wave is going to impact that as well, perhaps minus as much panic-buying as the first go around.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-27-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:57 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Just got back from Albertson's. They seem totally incapable of supplying anything made of paper, while the other stores in town have copious quantities. Meats and produce were fully-stocked (crappy produce, but that is usual.) If they didn't carry stuff we like frozen and in the meat case, this little pandemic would remove them from the store rotation forever.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:01 PM

BJ's this morning, bu wasn't paying attention to masks -- didn't consciously see any maskless people, anyway. Three at WalMart yesterday.

Some brand-name TP and off-brand PT (paper towels) at WalMart; plenty of both at BJ's. The latter have increased their beef/pork/chicken limits from two to three of each.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:50 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

That was another thing: Albertsons has a full page of things you are only allowed one of, ranging from ramen to TP to Kleenex. Not like they have any of that stuff, mind you. But it's restricted. Drive 3 blocks to Staters (their primary competition) and not only are they fully stocked, but there are no restrictions on anything.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:40 PM

My hunting this week has been rewarding. Two 8oz pump bottles of hand sanitizer at Winco Monday on the way home, 2tub (75ct each) package of disinfectant wipes at Walgreens yesterday at lunch (happened to be in that aisle when the nice young lady put several packs on the shelf, I took my allowed one and gave one tub to a coworker whose hunting luck has been worse than mine), and four 12.5oz cans of Lysol at Raley's (two at lunch, then stopped on the way home and they still had almost as much as they had at lunch, so I got another two). I think/hope that my squirrel-on-the-hunt urge has been appeased now that I do have some stock on hand. I did also get an online order of 4 18oz bottles of professional-grade hand sanitizer from Sally Beauty Supply during the week.

I'm still very much hoping life will soon return to at least a level of normal where finding such routine supplies isn't such a huge triumph.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:31 PM

Earlier in this thread I mentioned ordering two gallons of quat type disinfectant from an industrial supply place. Similar (or same) active ingredients as Lysol concentrate. That shipment disappeared en route, been in contact and hopefully, they will be re-shipping.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
That shipment disappeared en route
Check with Jared.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:23 PM

Local food lion had TP and it was on sale so I bought some. They had a pretty good supply. Maybe everyone now has all their closets full.