Old 03-15-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
The thing about stocking up on toilet paper is just weird. People will not be shitting at an accelerated rate so why the need. Is this what you really need during a collapse of society? Toilet paper?
If your family is stuck in your house for a couple weeks, you'll be going through a lot more toilet paper than if everyone is going to work and school. And you can't leave the house for more toilet paper. And, if supply chains are disrupted, there might not be a regular supply at the store anyway.

This doesn't mean that you need 1,000 rolls of course, but having some extra makes sense.

Likewise for the "Oh sure, everyone is at the store instead of social distancing" criticisms. You're better off getting your stuff now while the virus is starting to spread than to wait until stores can't staff themselves or distribution is erratic. Know what's less fun than a chance of getting COVID-19 at store in March? Having nothing to eat during a quarantine in April. And how much do people need? Who knows? We've been getting lied to at every step by the Administration so people don't know how to react. We're told "Oh, there's just a couple cases and it'll all be over soon" then you see entire nations shutting down. Is that cause to buy an extra week's worth of canned soup or a month's?
Old 03-15-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
My friend went to Costco last Monday and saw a woman shopper in full hazmat bodysuit.
I suggested my local Kroger hire me as a greeter wearing this outfit. They haven't taken me up on it yet.

I still haven't seen anything in the stores to rival the Great Quad-Cities Blizzard panic buying I experienced decades ago. Struggled to the supermarket to buy hamburger, only to find the entire meat case denuded except for a small, lonely turkey ham. I got considerable grief from Mrs. J. when I returned home with that turkey ham (there were no cellphones in those days to document the lack of other meats).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap
I bought frosted cherry Pop-Tarts, just in case.
You are indeed wise.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDaFe View Post
The store had signs all over about limits on things like TP, paper towels and water (as has been noted above: why hoard water, do people think the virus will clog pipes?)
You know what clogs pipes? Paper towels. Not water pipes, obviously, but sewer pipes. I am really really shocked how many people I have seen (even here) say "well, I have paper towels, so I will be okay". Paper towels do NOT dissolve like toilet tissue. Kleenex doesn't either.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
You know what clogs pipes? Paper towels. Not water pipes, obviously, but sewer pipes. I am really really shocked how many people I have seen (even here) say "well, I have paper towels, so I will be okay". Paper towels do NOT dissolve like toilet tissue. Kleenex doesn't either.
You don't have to throw them in the toilet. I'm pretty sure my toilet won't properly flush paper towels anyway. You can do it like they do elsewhere and throw them in the trash. May feel a bit icky the first few times, but you get used to it. I've been to a number of places where it was not allowed to flush any kind of paper product down the toilet.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

That's true, but people are still talking about it likenits interchangeable.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I suggested to my wife this morning that she should probably start putting toilet paper, kleenex and paper towels in the laundry cycle. She didn't seem amused.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I bought frosted cherry Pop-Tarts, just in case.
You are indeed wise.
That reminds me of the comedic post-apocalyptic movie Zombieland, in which one of the survivors is on a constant search for Twinkies, which he misses but has not had since before the crisis started. I wonder what I should stockpile, Just In Case.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:04 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
You don't have to throw them in the toilet. I'm pretty sure my toilet won't properly flush paper towels anyway. You can do it like they do elsewhere and throw them in the trash. May feel a bit icky the first few times, but you get used to it. I've been to a number of places where it was not allowed to flush any kind of paper product down the toilet.
Or you can do what much of the world does, and use a container of water and your left hand (or, I presume, your right hand if you're a southpaw). I know it raises the spectre of "All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand" to our delicate Western sensibilities, but it's better than clogging up the sewage treatment facilities and/or septic system.

Disclaimer: yes, I use toilet paper. But I'd do the above before I flushed a shitload of non-dissolving material.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
You don't have to throw them in the toilet. I'm pretty sure my toilet won't properly flush paper towels anyway.

As my plumber and city water department say in unison: The only thinks you flush are pee, poop, and toilet paper. Nothing else. It does not matter what a label may say if you can flush it. If it ain't pee, poop, and toilet paper, you never flush it.

I'm betting plumbers are going to be very busy with toilets plugged by nose tissues, paper towels, baby wipes, wet wipes, diapers, etc.

Last edited by Duckster; 03-15-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:26 PM

Arm & Hammer sells sealed "barrels" for dirty diapers, which I presume could also store dirty paper towels. It's deodorized with baking soda, but I suspect you still need to hold your breath whenever it's open.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:08 PM

Went to Wal-Mart today, which is oddly a little less hectic than HEB here. HEB is a madhouse. We were actually able to park up near the front at Wal-Mart. They had employees blocking the paper goods rows and handing out limited amounts. NO EGGS available at my nearby HEB or Wal-Mart. Apparently people around here (Texas) are planning to use lots of eggs if they become quarantined. No Diet Coke, only Diet Pepsi (oh how I suffer).

People still seem to be on good behavior as far as not rushing the aisles and knocking down employees and other shoppers.

Bleach shelves empty. Also no hand sanitizer.

Does anybody know how long it takes hand sanitizer to go bad? I have some that I bought a while ago.

Last edited by Skypist; 03-15-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Thought of more stuff
Old 03-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I suggested my local Kroger hire me as a greeter wearing this outfit. They haven't taken me up on it yet.
When I read comments telling us that there were never any reusable masks, I wanted to point them to the old days and that example...
Old 03-15-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
How do you like it? I've thought about giving it a try.

Yeah, I get wanting to stock up on toilet paper, but I'm pretty sure the town will keep the water running.
Another vote for the bamboo toilet paper. I still have a few rolls left from my initial order. Unfortunately, apparently all the preppers apparently know about bamboo toilet paper too! It was sold out when I looked the other day at the "Who Gives A Crap?" website.

IMO it is very soft but maybe a little harder to tear off the roll, like it's a bit tougher. Not that much.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:31 PM

Here's my report from Kroger today. First thing, I usually shop there on Sunday afternoons, I was surprised that the store was less busy than usual. My first thought was the store was emptied out. The dispenser of disinfecting wipes for cleaning carts was full. First thing I see is the produce dept. It looked totally normal. I didn't investigate too closely but the apples, oranges, (green) bananas...plenty. Green leafy stuff, seemed normal. My first stop was for the loaves of bread from the bakery. Plenty. All baked goods seemed stocked as normal. Walked past the seafood counter and I didn't buy anything but it looked normal. The first sold out stuff was the meat section. No ground beef, no chicken. Steaks, and organic stuff was available. All the pork products you could want. Bacon, sausage, kielbasa, etc., all you want. Eggs, they had plenty of normal grade A large but there was a lot of empty space in the egg area. Milk was available in 1/2 gal. and quarts, not a lot of gallon sized. Frozen pizza, anything you wanted as long as you didn't want plain cheese or pepperoni only. I didn't really look at the premium frozen pizzas too closely but cheap ones were definitely picked over. Fish sticks, all the premium ones gone, the cheaper they were, the more likely they had plenty. I bought a couple bags of Ore-Ida tater tots. The frozen french fries looked pretty picked over. Bags of pre-made burger patties...plenty. Bottled water, plenty. Didn't bother to look for hand sanitizer. Canned fruits and vegetables, picked over but lots still available. I meant to get some rice but forgot so I don't know how rice and dried beans were doing.

Definitely sold out:
Toilet paper and paper towels. (I did get two 300 packs of cheapo napkins.)
Bleach. Saw a guy grab the last two small (pint?) bottles of Clorox.
Ground beef and chicken.

After two days of stewing about idiot panic buyers I did release my inner PB and spent about double (plus a little) of what I normally spend a week.

Last edited by River Hippie; 03-15-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:51 PM

One other thing I noticed, usually when I'm wiping down my cart with sanitzer wipes about half the people are grabbing a cart and going around me. Today, everybody was wiping down their carts.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

I've gone into drugstore, and no runs on aspein, decongestants or cough medicine.
Weird.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:08 PM

Governor going to shut down all bars and restaurants in 3 hours. I was leaving large tips assuming this was eventually going to happen. didn't expect it today.

Interestingly it might improve fast food drive throughs. We had a local Taco Bell shut their walk-in section down for remodeling and the drive through became much faster.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:49 PM

Very interesting thread ... keep those findings coming you make me feel like I still live in a big city, which I don't. Costco and Walmart are 60 miles away over hard mountain driving.
All I have are two little country stores for 2,200 people with already high prices. So I've been ordering from Walmart, but now every thing I like says out of stock especially paper towels
and can food.

So keep it coming especially when things pick up and there is plenty in stock for everyone
Old 03-15-2020, 06:02 PM

One thing I kept thinking as I shopped, if you have picky elementary age kids that want what they are used to...it's probably gone.
One thing I didn't mention, the cereal section seemed really picked over.

Last edited by River Hippie; 03-15-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:20 PM

Well, I split 1/4 cow with someone and got to pick it up from the processor today. 80 lbs. of beef should last us a while....
Old 03-15-2020, 06:21 PM

Our cereal section looked fine on Friday. Ordered some tuna from Walmart online--it has a May delivery date.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
If your family is stuck in your house for a couple weeks, you'll be going through a lot more toilet paper than if everyone is going to work and school.
I don't know, I can use the same amount of TP at night and if I have to go during the day, Home Depot still has sandpaper in stock to make me not miss work TP.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:14 PM

I was fortunate that I got a case of toilet paper just before the big panic hit. I haven't been to Costco recently, but I was at Sam's Club not too long ago, and the atmosphere there was...weird. Honestly, I haven't seen so many nervous, high-strung people in one place since Y2K. Definite shortages on things like canned pasta and bottled water, although the stuff I normally pick up was still in abundance (except for the Nutter Butters, which were nearly down to the bottom layer).

Then recently I was at Lucky Strike Social Club, and man, I don't remember when Friday night was so sparse there. Some machines that always did great business were all but abandoned.

I'm planning to go to Costco again next Saturday, by which time I hope to be able to report that things have cooled off. Hawaii has a well-deserved reputation for being "hang loose" about a lot of things, and prolonged state of panic is not something we either do well or particularly enjoy. Unless we get news of someone actually dying, I expect the toilet paper to return long before I actually need more.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Maybe it's just a local thing, but I have these things in my house that dispense potable water whenever I turn a little knob.
I have them, too, but wherever I've lived (which included Oakville for many years) it always tasted to me like some variant of horse piss. I'm sure that a good filtering system, particularly one that gets rid of the chlorine, would work just fine, but my simple solution has always been bottled spring water. I was in a frenzy the other day because my local store was completely out, not just out of my brand, but out of all of them except the weird flavored and carbonated kind. My quest had nothing to do with coronavirus fears, it's just that I drink a lot of the stuff and I was almost out. Fortunately found an ample supply at another store. Here in southern Ontario almost all bottled water is actual spring water, labeled with the source, and with an analysis of the mineral content.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
Our cereal section looked fine on Friday. Ordered some tuna from Walmart online--it has a May delivery date.
Walmart has now shut down the thingy where you place a grocery order at your local store and they assemble it and deliver it to your car.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:06 AM

I went to my local Whole Foods yesterday and a different local chain today, in part just to see what it was like. WF had pallets of TP and bottled water near the registers and people were still embarrassing themselves with mountains of TP in their cart. They had most things: bread, milk, produce, meat, the aforementioned TP. Canned goods were low and they were out of almost all canned tomato products but oddly had lots of spaghetti/marinara sauces; maybe the marinara shelf had just been restocked? The cereal aisle was 80% empty and there were almost no eggs. The store wasn't overly busy.

The other market mostly fine, too. They were out of garlic (the horror!) and hamburger but everything else looked fairly well stocked. I picked up a Wagyu steak to splurge; I'll be saving all sorts of money by not going out to eat once they shut down the restaurants.

The one thing that neither store had was regular flour. I had to use whole wheat pastry flour for my Saturday morning pancakes.

Last edited by Deeg; 03-16-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 AM

I went to my local supermarket yesterday morning when they opened. I figured how many people would be there first thing on a Sunday? The place was packed. Everything was fully-stocked except for hand sanitizer and bread. They had a huge pallet of bleach.

The pharmacy didn't have its usual spray bottle of Purell at the register. Probably someone swiped it.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:11 AM

My cousin is at the grocery store right now (8 AM on a Monday) hoping it wouldn't be packed early on a weekday. According to texts, no such luck.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:50 PM

Ventured into Costco today. There were out of:
  • Paper products
  • Ground beef
  • Chicken (except drumsticks)
  • Eggs
  • Milk
  • Bread
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Bottled water

Replenished my stock of cheese, lunch meat, bacon, Diet Pepsi, and salsa.

mmm

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 03-16-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Folks who are convinced there is no milk or rice or dried beans or lentils or yogurt in your city? Maybe not at Costco, but give your local small ethnic grocers some love. I just went to the little Indo-Pak grocer a couple of blocks from my house after taking one look at the Costco parking lot.

It may not be one-stop shopping, and itís primarily dry goods, but they have just about every bean, lentil, and grain youíve ever heard of, and some that you probably havenít. And competitive prices. I also got a giant tub of plain yogurt and a gallon of milk. They have fresh-cut meat if I had needed any.

Best of all: the store was nearly empty and I was in and out in five minutes.

Now I just have to figure out what the best equivalent is for produce, because we just used up the last onion...
Old 03-16-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

There weren't any onions in that grocery store? Onions are the basis of a lot of Indian food.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
There weren't any onions in that grocery store? Onions are the basis of a lot of Indian food.
Well...perhaps that's why they're out.

At my grocery, there was no shortage of onions, potatoes, peppers, any of that stuff at 2 p.m. Produce section was fine. Dried goods were a little patchy -- big run on beans. I found the last big bag of black beans. Pretty much every other legume was gone except for black eyed peas and lentils. Canned beans were around, though.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Nope, like I said, that particular grocery is almost all dry goods (and some frozen and a few refrigerated things, and they do have halal meat). I don't think they normally even carry fresh veggies at all. I just went there because it was the closest place to my house where I thought I could find milk and yogurt, and I was right. I don't normally do any significant shopping there, though - just run over there if I am out of something between regular grocery runs.

But from reports I am seeing from friends, many of the regular general grocery stores are pretty picked over, so I decided to see whether specializing would actually get me what I needed, and this time it did.

No plain all-purpose flour, though - when I asked, I got a small amused lecture from the proprietor about how he hadn't been able to restock it because all the Europeans are buying it up, but Indians and Pakistanis prefer whole-grain flour anyway. So I bought a bag of multigrain chapati flour and will make some bread myself.

That's another thing - people complaining about bread shortages in stores. Bread-making isn't rocket science, folks - if you're stuck home anyway, just make some!
Old 03-16-2020, 11:24 PM

I stopped off at a grocery store this morning, around 7:45am. Not many people there and most things were more or less in stock. Aside from the empty paper goods aisle, the next barest places were the frozen pizzas and the bread -- but both had a decent supply of each. Maybe you wouldn't get the exact brand & style of bread you wanted but you'd get something close.

Curiously, there was a full supply of other frozen meals but I guess everyone decided that they need pizza instead of frozen lasagna or Hungry Man chicken dinners.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:42 AM

Went to a different grocery store looking for stuff that we couldn't get at our regular one last Friday.

Looked fairly close to normal except for the paper goods aisle.

Got a few regular items.

The bread aisle looked fairly okay stocked. I passed since I have a loaf in the freezer and they didn't have my bread. Mrs. FtG thinks that was a bad idea.

If this is any indication, the main panic buying is over (except for TP). Well, the checkout clerk seemed to have grabbed 3 cans of wipes for her own use and was marking them, putting them under the counter. So that's still happening.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:43 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

We're going to Publix after work tonight to top off and resupply some things (we actually stockpiled a 2-week supply a week and a half ago, so some of it is running low at this point).
Old 03-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
If this is any indication, the main panic buying is over (except for TP). Well, the checkout clerk seemed to have grabbed 3 cans of wipes for her own use and was marking them, putting them under the counter. So that's still happening.
Seriously?

Hey, if you don't want us to wipe down the register area, especially places like touchscreens, go ahead and claim the clerk "grabbed 3 cans of wipes for her own use" and keep complaining. Did she take them home? Or was she using them at work? Or her coworkers using them?

The store where I work all register lanes and few other places all have cleaning/sanitizing supplies. To keep our workplace clean AND clean up after customers who cough or sneeze all over the payment areas. You're welcome.

Or would rather have those areas NOT cleaned?
Old 03-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Seriously?

Hey, if you don't want us to wipe down the register area, especially places like touchscreens, go ahead and claim the clerk "grabbed 3 cans of wipes for her own use" and keep complaining. Did she take them home? Or was she using them at work? Or her coworkers using them?

The store where I work all register lanes and few other places all have cleaning/sanitizing supplies. To keep our workplace clean AND clean up after customers who cough or sneeze all over the payment areas. You're welcome.

Or would rather have those areas NOT cleaned?
A little touchy, are we? All you had to do was clarify.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:09 PM

Last night, I should have had a smartphone with a camera. I had a craving for one of my favorite junk food products: vegetarian corn dogs, so I braved the local supermarket at 9:00 p.m. The frozen food aisles looked war looted, nothing except bare, black shelves until I got to the vegetarian section is was completely stocked with all sorts of meatless frozen food.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:32 PM

I stopped at our only grocery store, Winn Dixie, last evening. Produce was very empty, meat was empty, not a stitch of tp or pt or facial tissues at all or eggs, which is what I went for. Went back at 0600 this morning and there were eggs and a little meat but still no paper products.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

I swear, I'm not going to even attempt to see what is happening at my local grocery stores until at least Saturday. Monday was insane. We'll see if people have calmed down by the weekend.

If not, I might have to go armed.

Nah. I don't like Wal-Mart to begin with.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I wasn't at the store today, but my mom was, and she picked up a gallon of milk for me while she was there. So apparently they've recovered at least somewhat from where they were Sunday.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Folks, try your local smaller grocers! I went out today for fruit and veggies (we were out of town for all the panic shopping, and used up the last onion yesterday), and the medium-sized local independent grocer had every single item on my list. There was even some toilet paper, though only in individually wrapped rolls. Chicken, dairy, flour, canned goods of all sorts, rice/legumes...seriously, the only thing it looked like they might be out of was Lysol. Other than that, all shelves fully stocked. Again, I was in and out of there in a few minutes.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:44 PM

I thought panic buying would be over by now. No. The only onions left were giant red onions.

No paper products at all. Very little packaged meats. The only pasta was gluten-free-non-GMO vegetable-infused-cage-free-tofu.

No Spam but plenty of cans of Skyline Chili.

I screwed up and bought frozen stir fried rice and a package of salad shrimp. Forgot I already bought some. Makes an excellent quick dish and I can fry it up so some of the rice is crispy.

Overall I was able to adjust my list to accommodate different dishes to prepare. I think the hording will go on for awhile because of the layoffs. I don't think people saw it coming.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:16 AM

Australia. 14 day quarantine for incoming tourists, no indoor groups larger than 100, sports shutting down, and the media talking about nothing else....

and we've moved on from panic-buying TP to the slow and considered buying of everything. Stores were busy but not packed, shelves were... more empty at 5pm than they were at 1pm. For example: still a good selection of candy and ice-cream, with only a few lines sold out. But freeze pops / zoopers are gone. And all the bottled fruit juice and cordials. Canned food is gone from the large stores == and people are driving out to raid the regional towns.

I've told my wife that if we run out of food I'm going to try to loose some weight.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:38 AM

I went to a Costco that I don't usually go to (it has a little different stock than the one closest to me) and here is what I found.

1. There was a line to get in. Not because it was particularly busy, but because they were limiting how many people were in the building. Once a certain number of people left, they let more people in

2. There was a list at the entrance of what was out of stock (toilet paper, eggs, disinfectant wipes, and some other things I can't remember).

3. There were signs throughout the store about social distancing, using a shopping cart as an example of how much distance should be between you and someone else

4. At the checkout lanes, there were small strips of yellow tape on the floor to show you were you were supposed to wait behind the person in front of you. There was also a line there that was controlled by staff .

5. All the benches that are usually at the food court were gone (but this was true earlier in the week).

6. Gas was $1.99 (win?)

//i\\
Old 03-18-2020, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
Folks, try your local smaller grocers! I went out today for fruit and veggies (we were out of town for all the panic shopping, and used up the last onion yesterday), and the medium-sized local independent grocer had every single item on my list. There was even some toilet paper, though only in individually wrapped rolls. Chicken, dairy, flour, canned goods of all sorts, rice/legumes...seriously, the only thing it looked like they might be out of was Lysol. Other than that, all shelves fully stocked. Again, I was in and out of there in a few minutes.
I did that yesterday morning, but my experience was a bit different from yours.

The grocery store in question is a smallish non-chain grocery just a couple miles from my house, and there aren't a whole lot of trips from Point A to Point B that would take you through here on the way: if you shop at this grocery, you either live nearby, or sheer desperation from the bare shelves at the grocery stores out on the main highways drove you miles out of your way to try our local store.

TP and paper towels: all gone.
Bread: just about all gone. What was left was mostly hot dog and hamburger buns.
Chicken and turkey: all gone.
Milk: I got the last half-gallon of skim.

While I was able to get most of the things on my list, since it was just a regular grocery list rather than a stock-up-for-disaster list, we really did need more chicken breasts and ground chicken, and none were to be had. The Firebug's been eating a lot of mac n'cheese lately, and we were down to our last box, so we needed more. I was able to get a few boxes of his preferred kind, but I was lucky: the mac shelf looked like a big bite had been taken out of it. Beans of just about all kinds were still available, but the shelves there were a good deal thinner than usual.

So it was in somewhat better shape than the big stores out on the main drag, but it was clearly feeling the effects of people stocking up on everything.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:42 PM

I just stopped by what I would call a more upscale grocery store. With the exception of paper items it was fully stocked. The pasta isle was thinner but I was able to get regular spaghetti which I'm almost out of. Since I'm working from home I expect more pasta dishes in my future out of cooking convenience.

OK, rice was pretty thin. but they still had various fancy rice. I bought a small specialty rice that sounded like it would work in well with a jambalaya recipe. It had ginger in it.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

We were overdue for a Costco run, and I dropped Tom Scud off at work this morning so he wouldn't have to take the bus (he's been biking to work, but it's raining here today, and I will pick him up so he can bring an office printer home). There's a Costco on the way, and I decided that if it wasn't a zoo, I'd check it out. (My mom is 77 and immunocompromised, so I was shopping for her as well as for my own household. We didn't need anything desperately, but who knows how long it will be before it's safe for her to go out?)

I fortified myself with coffee (which was a mistake, in hindsight, because then I needed to pee), and using my dormant Soviet grocery line instincts, got there an hour before opening. I would have been the first one in line if I hadn't waited in my car for a while to stay warm, but I was the second in line.

By the time the store opened an hour later, the line ran the length of the building (with people practicing proper social distancing). Entry was restricted to 500 people at a time. Even at opening time, they had zero hand sanitizer or toilet paper. They were sensibly restricting purchases of paper towels (one package per person), bottled water (2 cases per person), and roast chickens (one per person). I didn't really see any empty spots on the shelves, but they had no russet potatoes, no generic acetaminophen (they did have Tylenol, though) and no Mucinex-D, both of which they normally carry. Pretty much everything else on my list was in stock.

The food court had all seating removed and was out of everything except hot dogs and pizza. The staff at the exit, instead of taking receipts for review with their hands, were having us lay them on small clipboards and just marked them off without really looking at them. I imagine they are more worried about keeping people moving than anything else at this point.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I just returned from a local CostCo run (North Atlanta suburbs), at 2:30pm local time. Plenty of parking, lots of carts. A man wiped down the cart handle as I entered, and a lady reminded me to keep 6 feet away from others (and there was a sign next to her stating the same).

There was a whiteboard just inside the entrance listing about 9 things they were out of; I only noticed the two that would have interested me: hand sanitizer and toilet paper.

I snagged one of the last 10 packages of paper towels. There was a HUGE amount of bottled water.

At the pharmacy, which was the purpose of my trip, there was no line. I also observed that the hearing aid center was effectively shut down (one manager was there just answer the phone/answer walk-up questions).