Old 03-23-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Costco says it will NOT accept returns for toilet paper, sanitizing wipes, Lysol, paper towels, water and rice.
https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/22/costc...g-coronavirus/

But who in their right mind would want to return these?
Thieves who stole them from hoarders and need to fence the goods?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Thieves who stole them from hoarders and need to fence the goods?
Do not pinch the Charmin.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:09 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Costco says it will NOT accept returns for toilet paper, sanitizing wipes, Lysol, paper towels, water and rice.

People who spent their life savings panic buying, then lost their job?
Old 03-24-2020, 03:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

People who realize they should have bought food to go with those toilet rolls, don't like rice, and discovered that water comes out of the tap in the kitchen.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

At a local Wal Mart, people shop lift items and attempt to return them to "get their money back".
Old 03-24-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
People who realize they should have bought food to go with those toilet rolls, don't like rice, and discovered that water comes out of the tap in the kitchen.
That's funny "people that have not discovered that water still comes out of the tap"
Old 03-24-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
At a local Wal Mart, people shop lift items and attempt to return them to "get their money back".
How the Sam Hill do you shoplift bulky stuff like TP, paper towels, and 6-packs and up of bottled water??

ETA: IIRC, in normal times, you can return only a few items per year (three, I think it was) to Wal-Mart without a receipt. But they need to see your DL and will take down your information.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 03-24-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
How the Sam Hill do you shoplift bulky stuff like TP, paper towels, and 6-packs and up of bottled water??

ETA: IIRC, in normal times, you can return only a few items per year (three, I think it was) to Wal-Mart without a receipt. But they need to see your DL and will take down your information.
Heck if I know. Some people fill their shopping cart up with Tide and crash through the exit.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I definitely had that "Shit's gettin' real" feeling.
The shit's literally hitting the street in Tiburon, CA, thanks to TP "substitutes" being flushed. This could become a nightmare situation for those sheltering in place while their neighbors flushed an old t-shirt down the toilet. Next may come a rash of E. coli borne diseases.

Toilet paper shortages caused by coronavirus blamed for spike in raw sewage spills

(SF Chronicle article; paywalled, sorry, but you should be able to see the intro.)
Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

The Costco in Redmond WA had few shoppers this afternoon. Like other Costco's in the area, they have arranged social distancing starting with the entrance.

The whording started here at the original epicenter 3-4 weeks ago, and seems to have largely abated as most folks now have stockpiles and Costco have been shipping in supplies. Out of stock on sanitizer, dried beans, TP. Back in stock was the 25# bags of flour, peanut butter, oil, tissue, etc. Several items had "limit 1" or "no returns" signs posted.

Costco's HQ is nearby. It looked like one of the execs was being given a tour and seemed pretty pleased that the checkout was working well with social distancing.

Staff seemed to be really normal. Doing their usual bantering. They generally are in good, talkative moods, and today was no different.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:13 AM

Outside of TP things are fairly normal in the Boston area; I was finally able to get a bag of regular flour. Some items may be low but everything is represented. Wegmans looks like a Disney ride with the winding entrance line cordoned off by rope.

I still can't believe that TP is scarce; where are all the hoarding zombies storing it?! There must be attics and garages getting ready to burst at the joints.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
I still can't believe that TP is scarce; where are all the hoarding zombies storing it?! There must be attics and garages getting ready to burst at the joints.
People who used to take care of half of their toilet needs at work or school are now taking care of all of it at home and so they need more TP at home.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
People who used to take care of half of their toilet needs at work or school are now taking care of all of it at home and so they need more TP at home.
Well they don't need to buy out the store, do they? But now it's a self-perpetuating cycle. At my local Albertsons, the day's supply of TP is normally sold gradually throughout the day, with staff restocking the shelf as needed. Now, though, it's all being sold from 6:00 to abour 6:30 in the morning, and you have to stand in line before the store opens. Nobody likes to do that, so when people get in they buy as much TP as they possibly can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 08:04 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Yep. There are going to be any number of scientific papers written about mob mentality and hoarding behavior over the next few years. I see more than a couple of Doctorates being awarded...
Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Yep. There are going to be any number of scientific papers written about mob mentality and hoarding behavior over the next few years. I see more than a couple of Doctorates being awarded...
Nah, people are going on unemployment, so they'll want jobs that actually pay well.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:38 AM

Yesterday's trip to the store continued to show improvement in many ways.

We decided to forgo the senior hour based on my quick trip on Tues. Went a little later in the morning.

There were very few customers there. In many areas more employees than customers. So that gave distancing a chance. (And yet I saw two employees do a fist bump. Um, guys ...)

The produce section was almost completely back up to snuff. E.g., so many bananas available that bunches of older ones were in the dollar bags vs. two weeks ago when there were none.

Meat was a little better but still mostly empty. The paper section was almost completley cleaned out. (Mrs. FtG has had facial tissue on her re-stock list. So that's an issue with tissue.) Frozen veggies still decimated.

Of course the biggest concern for me is the clerk at checkout touching all our stuff. No hand cleaning between customers or anything. I was doing my own bagging into our bags when a bagger came over and helped. I didn't hand to shoo him off since they are special needs folk for this and they are really nice and all.

People worry about cash but not the clerks touching everything?
Old 03-27-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
People worry about cash but not the clerks touching everything?
They can't sanitize between every customer, because that would cause skin irritations.

I think it would be more practical for the customer to sanitize post check out.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

When is the damn toilet paper hoarding going to ease up? Where the hell are people putting all that toilet paper????
Old 03-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Up their butts?
Old 03-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Up their butts?
I imagine some people's butts are likely to grow a bit during this debacle, but not at this rate!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I did my normal Costco run yesterday. They had a sign out front showing what they were out of (TP!) and what they were limiting purchases on. I was glad to finally get some eggs!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
When is the damn toilet paper hoarding going to ease up? Where the hell are people putting all that toilet paper????
In basements?

I was pretty surprised to see that it's not currently available on line. (I buy a box of 40 rolls. Have been doing that for more than a year.) How long does it take to resupply the chain?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
In basements?

I was pretty surprised to see that it's not currently available on line. (I buy a box of 40 rolls. Have been doing that for more than a year.) How long does it take to resupply the chain?
I suspect a LOT more people are ordering things online than usual. I know I am. I literally just ordered $120 of groceries that we didn't quite need yet just so I didn't have to pay for shipping on the case of Kleenex that we bought in lieu of the toilet paper we actually wanted. And now that's out of stock, too. Ah well, on the bright side, we will be well supplied with coffee, dried fruit, nuts, and cooking oil.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
In basements?

If so, I hope they all experience plumbing leaks and/or spring floods.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

This aspect is particularly infuriating, since they usually won't let you back order it. (Or at least Costco won't.)

We have enough to last about one month to six weeks, and it would be nice if we could put in an order now so we have it coming when we need it.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:39 PM

Just got back from Kroger, first trip since last Friday. Things looked somewhat better. Ground beef, chicken and much more pork available. Got a 5 lb. bag of white rice. There wasn't a lot of rice but better than last week. Still no toilet paper, hand sanitizer, isopropyl alcohol. Had plenty of cheapo napkins.
One thing that is unavailable at the brick and mortars (2 drug stores, Kroger, hardware store) I checked is the battery that fits digital thermometers. All the batteries you want except 392s. Amazon was out yesterday but it looked like there were some available online. Some online places don't tell you that something is out of stock until you actually try to place the order. I didn't pursue it that far. Yet.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
This aspect is particularly infuriating, since they usually won't let you back order it. (Or at least Costco won't.)

We have enough to last about one month to six weeks, and it would be nice if we could put in an order now so we have it coming when we need it.

Sometimes you just can't wait a month it'll all come out okay in the end
Old 03-27-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Publix has been fairly better, consistently, than Kroger.
Better stocked shelves.
Even some disinfectants!
Old 03-28-2020, 01:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
If your family is stuck in your house for a couple weeks, you'll be going through a lot more toilet paper than if everyone is going to work and school. And you can't leave the house for more toilet paper
Where are people getting the idea that you can't leave your house? Unless I missed something it's not supposed to be like house arrest; you're allowed to go to the grocery store, among other routine essential errands.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Where are people getting the idea that you can't leave your house? Unless I missed something it's not supposed to be like house arrest; you're allowed to go to the grocery store, among other routine essential errands.
So? Are you going to troop down to the grocery store's restroom every day?

(My local grocery has not had any TP on the shelf in more than a week.)
Old 03-28-2020, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash2k View Post

And in my experience, most grocery stores (as opposed to Walmart etc.) don't make restrooms public often. Sure they'll point it out to you if asked in most cases, but often there's no sign on the store floor and you have to go through a warehousing section.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:33 AM

all grocery stores here in NC have signs for restrooms. They are either at the front or back of the store.

Went to Lidl today and the only thing in short supply was milk. Plenty of meat and pork and chicken and seafood. I think it's best to go early in the day.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:

If you or a family member is sick, you won't be able to leave the house for a minimum of 14 days.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
all grocery stores here in NC have signs for restrooms. They are either at the front or back of the store.

Went to Lidl today and the only thing in short supply was milk. Plenty of meat and pork and chicken and seafood. I think it's best to go early in the day.
All the grocery stores I go to regularly have clearly signed restrooms. Usually someplace out-of-the-way, but I've never needed to ask for help to find one. (Convenience stores usually lock the restrooms, and you do need to ask for help.)

Restrooms in grocery stores are ubiquitous enough that a friend who looked at a lot of insurance claims for stuff like "person raped on this commercial property" once recommended that if I was on a road trip and needed to use a restroom, I should look for a supermarket or grocery store. "Safer, and usually cleaner and better maintained than gas station restrooms", he told me.

eta: but I'm not going to the supermarket to use their restroom when I'm at home, of course. So like everyone else, I want enough TP here.

Last edited by puzzlegal; 03-28-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:25 AM

not all convenience stores lock bathrooms here. Only about 1/3 lock them.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 03-28-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash2k View Post

Whoa there!

I meant you can go to the store to buy stuff, theoretically including toilet paper.

Not just to use their bathroom.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
If you or a family member is sick, you won't be able to leave the house for a minimum of 14 days.
We're under shelter-in-place in Oregon but I don't think we have this stipulation, at least not yet.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
Quote:
We're under shelter-in-place in Oregon but I don't think we have this stipulation, at least not yet.
Even if you don't, if it's applicable please keep it!

Other shoppers, and storeworkers, really don't need sick and recently-exposed people coming into the store.

-- somewhat belated report from rural Finger Lakes New York:

Monday 23rd, area Mennonite-run grocery store: café of course takeout only. Plenty of eggs (locally-sourced); some holes in the (partly locally sourced) dairy selection, but still plenty there to get what you needed. One cheese cooler closed down, but that was probably coincidence, as there was a good cheese selection in a different cooler. Shelves for the most part seemed normally stocked; the only other gap I noticed was that there was very little beef in the meat case. They carry a lot of nuts, dried fruit, and baking supplies; I didn't inspect the baking supplies closely as I was already stocked on those, but they looked normal from the end of the aisle. Produce looked about normal for the time of year, including plenty of oranges -- I don't remember whether there were bananas. They don't in any case carry paper goods and hand sanitizers -- I think there's a shelf of homemade soaps but forgot to check it.

Tuesday 24:
Tractor Supply: plenty of cat litter and a near-normal supply of cat food. Normal stock of tractor oils and garden-hose nozzles/connectors. Normal-appearing stock of everything I went by en route to getting those. I forgot to check for cleaning products; I think they might carry some ordinarily but not much.

-- whoops, posted before done by accident. Tops grocery: most aisles appeared normal, but there were a batch of signs limiting quantities. No toilet paper. Very little facial tissue or paper towels. No rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, hand sanitizer. Limit-of-two signs on (among other things) laundry soap and dish soap, but a pretty good selection of those with a few gaps -- there weren't any large-size Dawn Original dish soap, but there were plenty of mediums, so I took the limit-two of those (it gets used both in house and in packing shed, though I don't yet have any produce to pack.)

Last edited by thorny locust; 03-28-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:35 PM

Probably too late to edit again, but adding in: Tops was allowing people to bring in reusable bags, but clerks weren't allowed to pack into them; customers had to do their own packing if using their own bags. Fine by me.

Traffic lighter than usual but definitely significant people out. Most were trying to stay apart from each other; I did see one group of three walking two dogs with all the humans close together, but they may have been a family group. Not always possible to keep six feet apart at Tops as it was sometimes necessary to pass closer than that in the aisles; but easy enough to avoid contact. Nobody seemed to be coughing or sneezing. Two customers in Tops were wearing masks; one of the masks looked like it might actually do something.

Small neighborhood grocery specializing in meat but with a general grocery selection: looked normally stocked though I didn't check the soaps etc. All meats looked normally stocked. Small number of shoppers, staying apart. One customer was complaining vehemently that at another store he'd been restricted to two packages of beef. Clerk told me she'd punch necessary buttons on card machine so that I didn't need to touch them.

Also succeeded in picking up a bag of cover crop clover at a seed-and-grain store, and in dropping off a well water sample for required annual testing; having called first in both cases.

Am now not intending to go anywhere for at least the next couple of weeks except possibly to pick up potting soil.

My overall shopping suggestion: if you're having trouble finding something, try smaller stores if you've got them. Call first; no sense in going in for something in particular if they haven't got it anyway. And a lot of places are doing deliveries that didn't use to. (I had to go into the relevant towns both those days for something that couldn't be done that way, and since at that point we still had no confirmed cases in this area thought it was safer to shop sooner rather than later.)
Old 03-28-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Probably too late to edit again, but adding in: Tops was allowing people to bring in reusable bags, but clerks weren't allowed to pack into them; customers had to do their own packing if using their own bags. Fine by me.
Trader Joe's was doing the same thing; they will pack your groceries in their paper bags or you can pack in your own bag. And they only let a few people in the store at the same time, so there was a long line outside. On the bright side, I found everything I was looking for.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
And they only let a few people in the store at the same time, so there was a long line outside.
which defeats the purpose of allowing only a few at a time
Old 03-28-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

The line was only as long as the store, and people were keeping about six feet apart. So relatively safe. Safer than a Trader Joe's store full of suburban white people.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:11 PM

Went to Aldi and Jewel yesterday. Aldi was well stocked on just about everything. I got multi-roll packages of toilet paper and paper towels (limit one on each). Eggs were on my list -- they had plenty. Limit was two dozen so I bought two since they were only $.88 each.

Jewel was almost out of toilet paper and completely out of paper towels. No hand sanitizer or antiseptic wipes of course but seemed well stocked in everything else except frozen vegetables.

Aldi is a "do your own bagging" store. I left my reusable bags in the car and then bagged straight from the cart to the back of my SUV. I made a point of putting all the perishables in one bag, everything else in other bags. At Jewel when loading my car I made certain that perishables were in separate bags from nonperishables. Perishables came into the house as soon as I got home; everything else is in quarantine in the garage for two days, which I understand is the time needed for the virus to die on cardboards, paper and plastics.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
seemed well stocked in everything else except frozen vegetables.

Aldi is a "do your own bagging" store. I left my reusable bags in the car and then bagged straight from the cart to the back of my SUV. I made a point of putting all the perishables in one bag, everything else in other bags. At Jewel when loading my car I made certain that perishables were in separate bags from nonperishables. Perishables came into the house as soon as I got home; everything else is in quarantine in the garage for two days, which I understand is the time needed for the virus to die on cardboards, paper and plastics.
What I thought was an odd note: one of the things with limit-of-two signs out at Tops was frozen vegetables. That in itself wasn't odd, though at a fast glance they had a pretty good stock (I have veggies in my freezer and asparagus and overwintered kale should be available soon in the fields, so I didn't need any); but there was no equivalent sign on the frozen fruits. Why are people stocking up on frozen vegetables and not on frozen fruits?

-- and I did something similar with my various purchases. Things that don't care what temperature they're at: left out in the car until I need them, or need the car, or it's been a week or so, whichever comes first. Canned goods, which shouldn't freeze, but don't mind room temperature: set aside out of the way in the house until needed or I need the space for something else. Freezer items: I cleared a couple of baskets in the chest freezers, and all recent purchases are in there; I have other things I can eat first. Refrigerator items: set to one side of the refrigerator, left several days. Avocadoes, washed off with soap. Gloves I wore while doing this, set aside on sunny windowsill.

I feel kind of silly doing all that. But I'm doing it anyway.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:43 PM

went to the grocery store and then the warehouse store. I did this at 5pm to see how things were going. Grocery store still had toilet paper but no paper towels. They had everything else in stock except SPAM.

Warehouse store was out of all paper products, isopropyl alcohol and baking soda. I was surprised they limited purchases of vinegar. I use a lot of it for laundry.

Mostly back to normal.

Last edited by Magiver; 03-28-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
They had everything else in stock except SPAM.
We're all gonna die!!!!
Old 03-29-2020, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Warehouse store was out of all paper products, isopropyl alcohol and baking soda. I was surprised they limited purchases of vinegar. I use a lot of it for laundry.
Yeah, people have been going down a metaphorical list of cleaners. We've been cleaned out of hand sanitizer, alcohol, bleach, Lysol type cleaners, liquid soap, then bar soap, vinegar....

I expect at some point the baking soda will disappear for a week.

Fortunately, we've managed to get some stock on the shelves of all of the above except hand sanitizer.

They've also gone through the ass-wiping items like that - first toilet paper, then paper towels, paper napkins, "flushable" wipes, then folks figured out that adults could use the stuff in the baby aisle so that got wiped out....

America has never been so clean.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:31 AM

I haven't seen TP here in any of the stores; in fact paper goods are just plain gone. Safeway otherwise is pretty well stocked. Albertson 's was also pretty well stocked.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
Where the hell are people putting all that toilet paper????
I've got 48 rolls of Charmin Ultra-Soft quadruple rolls in the basement (a 18-pack, two 9-packs, and a 12-pack). It all fits in a 20"x15"x17" cube, IOW, it all fits underneath the lowest shelf in the linen closet with plenty of room to spare.

But if someone has amassed a stash of hundreds of rolls, then I suppose they must have room in the basement or the garage. They better not have mice, though - they'd make a home in all that paper.