Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #601  
Old 05-11-2020, 04:12 PM
TreacherousCretin's Avatar
TreacherousCretin is online now
Horrified Onlooker
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 5,932
We're retired stay-at-home types anyway, so for us the plague has been extremely inconvenient at worst. We consider ourselves VERY fortunate.

One infection in our extended circle of family/friends (since recovered fully). One distantly-related death (82 years old, New Jersey).
  #602  
Old 05-12-2020, 09:15 PM
needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I totally understand!



BTW several choir members have replied to Mary Lou's email and said they think May 24 is too early and they want to wait until we can sing without masks. I hate to tell them that that could be a couple of years...



Well, hi there, New Person! Looking for a place to hunker down? This will do. Sorry, but it's BYOB. I'm afraid there's no going back to the way it was any time soon.
ThelmaLou, show Mary Lou this latest article about the Skagit County Washington choir where 54 of 61 at one practice got sick and 2 died: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/h...rus-choir.html

Hope the new haircut & color was a success!
  #603  
Old 05-12-2020, 09:34 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
ThelmaLou, show Mary Lou this latest article about the Skagit County Washington choir where 54 of 61 at one practice got sick and 2 died: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/h...rus-choir.html

Hope the new haircut & color was a success!
Several choir members have shared the sad story about that choir. Chilling!

Cut and color turned out great. Both of us masked the whole time. I held mine over my nose and mouth. It was so nice to be able to talk to someone in person. Having her wash my hair was sublime.

Thursday I'm going for broke and getting a pedicure. It's a tiny, neighborhood salon.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 05-12-2020 at 09:34 PM.
  #604  
Old 05-14-2020, 05:09 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,317
Is anyone else experiencing physical symptoms indicators of prolonged, low-level stress? Your or your lockdown-mates? I'm talking about digestive issues, loss of appetite (or eating WAY too much), drinking too much, sleep problems, headaches, etc. Not bad enough to make you run out and get tested, but disruptive, unpleasant, and making it hard to find moments let alone hours of peace during these crazy times.

My stomach has been upset for several days. I'm making some great homemade food but the other day I ate what I thought was a normal portion and felt bloated and crampy for at least 24 hours (sorry if that's TMI-- I left out the good parts). I have since eaten more of that particular food and do okay if I eat only a little so I don't think it was the food itself. I'm making a point of drinking plenty of water, but sometimes even water makes me feel stuffed and full. I wake up with a headache, which usually goes away during my 7:00 am walk. My sleep is even crappier than usual, which explains why I was on the board at 4:00 am today.

I do meditate every day, using either Calm.com or Headspace, and that keeps the worry demons at bay for a while. The recognition that I will not be able to be around people or resume the few modest activities that I enjoyed (singing in two choirs) for the foreseeable future fills me with despondency at times. And no one's shoulder to cry on. I know I have it better than many, many other people-- I don't claim to be uniquely cursed-- but today it's getting to me...

Who's feeling this way, too?

P.S. My toes look darling after my pedicure. This and the shampoo the other day are the first time anyone has touched me in two months.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 05-14-2020 at 05:10 PM.
  #605  
Old 05-14-2020, 07:30 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 9,344
I found out the virus is in my mother's assisted living center. It's not on her floor, it's in "memory wing" one floor up in a different part of a very big building.
  #606  
Old 05-14-2020, 07:56 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I found out the virus is in my mother's assisted living center. It's not on her floor, it's in "memory wing" one floor up in a different part of a very big building.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #607  
Old 05-14-2020, 08:40 PM
susan's Avatar
susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 10,328
Yikes. Sorry.
  #608  
Old 05-14-2020, 09:30 PM
Seanette is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Is anyone else experiencing physical symptoms indicators of prolonged, low-level stress? Your or your lockdown-mates? I'm talking about digestive issues, loss of appetite (or eating WAY too much), drinking too much, sleep problems, headaches, etc. Not bad enough to make you run out and get tested, but disruptive, unpleasant, and making it hard to find moments let alone hours of peace during these crazy times.
Once I got past the symptoms that put me IN quarantine (mild flu-like, never had a temp above 99-ish), quarantine wasn't as bad as working in a bank call center with 10x normal call volume and the callers ranging from moronic to nasty even more intensely than usual. I've been having assorted digestive-tract woes, insomnia's worse than my "normal", I'm tired most of the time, and headaches were distressingly normal before the lockdown (gotta get new glasses once we have vision coverage again and DH is able to drive me to that appointment). Definitely crankier than my baseline the last week or two, I can blame that on work hassles.
  #609  
Old 05-14-2020, 10:28 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 9,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
Yikes. Sorry.
I now just talked to my brother (I'm 2000 miles away) and everyone on my mother's floor tested negative. So, so far so good. :|
  #610  
Old 05-15-2020, 07:06 AM
Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 12,867
How am I personally affected by the coronavirus?

Like most folks, I'm not getting out much. When the weather is good, my wife and I drive to a nearby park to go for a walk, but other than that, we don't much venture past our mailbox. We're getting groceries delivered, so we really haven't crossed paths with other people since mid-March. Haven't bought gas for our cars since then either, and still don't need to.

The biggest effect is on my dad, living in an assisted-living facility. They are in the middle of a COVID outbreak, with ten deaths there so far and many more cases. There has been at least one case in his hallway. Since March, no outside visitors allowed, all residents are being fed in their rooms instead of the dining room (no menu, you get what they bring you and if you're last on their delivery route your food might not be so warm when it arrives), no big group gatherings, and social distancing makes it hard for residents to communicate with each other, since many speak with a faint voice and most of them are hearing-impaired. It's been very hard on morale. Dad used to tend to keep phone conversations relatively brief, but lately he's offering more topics and also lingering during those inevitable lulls, hoping that the conversation can be carried on a little bit longer.

I'm hoping I get to see him in person again someday, but I'm having serious doubts lately.
  #611  
Old 05-16-2020, 01:21 PM
EmilyG's Avatar
EmilyG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,834
Everyone told to stay home unless necessary, and avoid all non-essential travel.

My city is the 7th-worst-hit place in the world. IN THE WORLD.

We have a lot of deaths, especially in seniors' homes.

It's depressing and terrifying.
  #612  
Old 05-17-2020, 02:50 AM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 42,053
Smoking pot and skipping school used to get you in a lot of trouble. Now weed's legal and schools are closed. Damn kids today are living the dream, dagnabbit!
__________________
"Hell is other people." -- Jean-Paul Sartre
  #613  
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,801
My county has had very few confirmed corona cases, so our governor has scaled things back a bit. We can now enter beer distributors, where before they had to take orders outside. Also, masks are now suggested rather than required in certain situations.

I stopped to buy some beer, so of course I wore my mask. Another guy was not wearing a mask. After he was gone, I took my purchase to the cashier, who was masked and behind plexiglass. I paid for my purchase, and she help up a notecard on which she'd drawn a happy face and written, "thank you for wearing a mask." We smiled (with our eyes).

If seatbelt laws were changed, such that they were suggested instead of required, there would be people driving around without seatbelts, I guess.
  #614  
Old 05-17-2020, 12:54 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 41,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
They've tested everybody; she's positive for the coronavirus. Asymptomatic so far, but she's been moved to the local hospital.

If any 96 year old, 85-pound woman in the late stages of Alzheimer's can repel this virus, it would be her. But realistically...

It's not that her time hasn't come. It's that nobody who knows and loves her will be with her when she dies.
Doc is recommending comfort care only.

i just wish we could be there with her when she goes. But that's just not possible.
  #615  
Old 05-17-2020, 02:24 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 24,688
nm

Last edited by Monty; 05-17-2020 at 02:24 PM.
  #616  
Old 05-17-2020, 08:59 PM
susan's Avatar
susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 10,328
Really sorry, RT Firefly. What a hard situation.
  #617  
Old 05-17-2020, 10:32 PM
Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 11,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Is anyone else experiencing physical symptoms indicators of prolonged, low-level stress?
Definitely sleep issues. I had largely vanquished some long-standing insomnia after seeing a sleep specialist a few years ago, but it's now back, big-time. (It's of the "wake up somewhere between 2 am and 4 am" variety, not the inability to fall asleep at night.) Part of it may still be concussion leftovers - I am still not able to spend more than a couple of hours at a shot on a computer, and if I do, I get almost dizzy and need to go lie down and crash out for a while.

I find that getting outside and doing anything at all to distract myself is very helpful, or barring that, occupying myself with something that doesn't involve constant news exposure. I made a tile backsplash in our kitchen (which looks pretty damn good, if I may say so, considering I have never done anything remotely like that!) , and our garden this year is going to be absolutely insane, which has the dual practical value of producing food so we will need fewer grocery deliveries.

With any luck, it will stop raining one of these days, and I will be able to go for a bike ride. I find that very relaxing. If not, maybe I will finally touch up the paint in the bathroom. Need to find some other projects that require focus, but not an intellectual kind of focus...maybe some more really elaborate cooking projects?
  #618  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:06 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
Definitely sleep issues. I had largely vanquished some long-standing insomnia after seeing a sleep specialist a few years ago, but it's now back, big-time. (It's of the "wake up somewhere between 2 am and 4 am" variety, not the inability to fall asleep at night.) Part of it may still be concussion leftovers - I am still not able to spend more than a couple of hours at a shot on a computer, and if I do, I get almost dizzy and need to go lie down and crash out for a while.

I find that getting outside and doing anything at all to distract myself is very helpful, or barring that, occupying myself with something that doesn't involve constant news exposure. I made a tile backsplash in our kitchen (which looks pretty damn good, if I may say so, considering I have never done anything remotely like that!) , and our garden this year is going to be absolutely insane, which has the dual practical value of producing food so we will need fewer grocery deliveries.

With any luck, it will stop raining one of these days, and I will be able to go for a bike ride. I find that very relaxing. If not, maybe I will finally touch up the paint in the bathroom. Need to find some other projects that require focus, but not an intellectual kind of focus...maybe some more really elaborate cooking projects?
Ironically, my dog woke me up at 3 am and I've been up ever since. Couldn't fall back to sleep. In half an hour it will be light enough for my morning walk.

If you can manage a picture of your backsplash, I'd love to see it.

The weather here has been absolutely perfect-- 60-ish in the morning, although it's approaching 90 by afternoon, but with bright blue sky, all the trees leafed out, birds singing. If it were raining, my mood would be way down in the dumps. Right now my back yard is lush and green (no lawn, just trees and a wooden deck with an umbrella table), and the scent from flowering jasmine is intoxicating. I'm dreading winter when it will be chilly, rainy, gray skies, trees all bare. I have one of those "happy lights" that I use in the winter time.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #619  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 AM
rocking chair is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: on the porch
Posts: 7,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Several choir members have shared the sad story about that choir. Chilling!

Cut and color turned out great. Both of us masked the whole time. I held mine over my nose and mouth. It was so nice to be able to talk to someone in person. Having her wash my hair was sublime.

Thursday I'm going for broke and getting a pedicure. It's a tiny, neighborhood salon.

the cluster i know was a church choir, with a few church members. they got infected the week of march 15th- 22nd. a handful ended up in hospital, and by Friday the 27th one was in icu on a vent. thankfully no one died in the cluster, and the one in icu was released from hospital on may 9th. one of the few happy releases from icu.

i'm glad you were able to get some pampering.
  #620  
Old 05-18-2020, 01:49 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17,505
Seeking opinions:

Is there any reason to believe air travel will be any safer in the months ahead, or is it already as safe/unsafe as it's ever going to be? (airlines are sterilizing quite thoroughly; not so sure about airports though)
  #621  
Old 05-18-2020, 02:18 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Seeking opinions:

Is there any reason to believe air travel will be any safer in the months ahead, or is it already as safe/unsafe as it's ever going to be? (airlines are sterilizing quite thoroughly; not so sure about airports though)
I'm interested in hearing thoughts about this as well. I've seen pictures of near-empty flights, then other pictures of the more typical sardine thing. We have been talking about the feasibility of going to St Martin in January. My gf saw that airfare is lower than it was in recent years. I'm not at the point yet where I want to be on a crowded plane. I may never reach that point again.

I'm also wondering if all the current airlines will still be in business. Any chance of consumers loosing their $$ if an airline folds?
  #622  
Old 05-18-2020, 02:19 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Seeking opinions:

Is there any reason to believe air travel will be any safer in the months ahead, or is it already as safe/unsafe as it's ever going to be? (airlines are sterilizing quite thoroughly; not so sure about airports though)
My completely unscientifical opinion is that you can't sterilize the breath/droplets exhaled by CV carriers. Nor will a mask protect others unless that mask is sealed to the face of the infected person. What I'm reading is that the longer people are in a space together, the more hazardous it is. So dashing in and out of the grocery store is not so risky. Sitting next to (or even six feet away from) people in church, at a concert, and certainly for hours on an airplane is quite risky. YMMV.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #623  
Old 05-18-2020, 03:03 PM
MaverocK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 289
I just ordered an anti-body test kit in Germany. I will get in a week, I guess. I will take a blood sample from my finger, fill the blood into a tube and send it to the lab and will be able to see the results online. I am already excited. I will be terribly disappointed if I learn I don't have the antibodies.
  #624  
Old 05-18-2020, 04:10 PM
susan's Avatar
susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 10,328
My local airport has installed plexiglass shields at the counters, but that's useful only for specific types of direct contact.
  #625  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:10 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
My completely unscientifical opinion is that you can't sterilize the breath/droplets exhaled by CV carriers. Nor will a mask protect others unless that mask is sealed to the face of the infected person. What I'm reading is that the longer people are in a space together, the more hazardous it is. So dashing in and out of the grocery store is not so risky. Sitting next to (or even six feet away from) people in church, at a concert, and certainly for hours on an airplane is quite risky. YMMV.
Thanks. I am also concerned about the security screening. I sure hope they aren't making everyone take off their shoes, walk around, and putting everyone's bags through the same X-ray, (the cloth "drapes" as each bag enters and exits would be, AIUI, a prime spreader of viruses,) unless somehow you can spray some disinfectant on all bags.
  #626  
Old 05-19-2020, 03:27 AM
Daynoh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Thank goodness it wasn't a link to this one--it would have been a clear sign of an advanced brain tumor.
  #627  
Old 05-19-2020, 06:57 AM
longhair75 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: omaha, ne
Posts: 3,358
We had planned this last weekend to do a weekend getaway in Kansas City. We were uncertain how much had reopened there and, frankly, are hesitant to stay in a hotel as of yet.
__________________
Per tutto i mali, vino. Per tutto bene, lo stesso
  #628  
Old 05-19-2020, 07:20 AM
MissTake is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Here
Posts: 4,515
My daughter had the anti-body test last week, was negative. She had concerns about her bout with the flu end of December. She was still completely wiped out at the end of January, with issues that trailed on even into March. While she resides in a small college town, they have a fair amount of international students from China.
Yesterday she woke up, coughing, throat on fire, slight temperature.
Strep test negative, now she's pending results from a COVID test. On her way out the doctor's office, two people brushed up against her. She thought nothing of it. As she was waiting for her ride, someone from the office came out and told her she was just exposed, go home, decontaminate, check for signs, etc.
  #629  
Old 05-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Jasmine's Avatar
Jasmine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,710
Mercifully, I have been about as unaffected as humanly possible. I am tech support in a school district and, when Pritzker declared COVID-19 "An Act of God", our shutdown was the equivalent of "paid administrative leave" The school calendar was unaffected so, even with Remote Learning in place, spring break happened and school closes on June 1st. More importantly, the key people in my life have been unaffected health wise, although I did lose one friend to the disease. I was completely work from home for 5 weeks. I returned to work 4 hours a day, Monday through Thursday, at the beginning of May, with the rest at home. When Remote Learning ends on May 29, I will begin the next week working a full schedule here in preparation for what will hopefully be the beginning of school during the 3rd week of August.
__________________
"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge."
--Daniel J Boorstin
  #630  
Old 05-19-2020, 09:03 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
...On her way out the doctor's office, two people brushed up against her. She thought nothing of it. As she was waiting for her ride, someone from the office came out and told her she was just exposed, go home, decontaminate, check for signs, etc.
Awww, DAMN!
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #631  
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Cardigan's Avatar
Cardigan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,025
I think this quarantine is affecting folks in different ways even under the same roof. My wife has lost a ton of weight over the past two months. I've gained everything that she lost and then some.
  #632  
Old 05-19-2020, 01:33 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
My daughter had the anti-body test last week, was negative. She had concerns about her bout with the flu end of December. She was still completely wiped out at the end of January, with issues that trailed on even into March. While she resides in a small college town, they have a fair amount of international students from China.
I had that too in November, the "cold that lingered for four weeks"; I'd have wondered if it was covid too if it hadn't been impossibly early.
  #633  
Old 05-19-2020, 01:58 PM
MissTake is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Here
Posts: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
I had that too in November, the "cold that lingered for four weeks"; I'd have wondered if it was covid too if it hadn't been impossibly early.
She did have the Flu flu, poor kid. She was still on my medical at the time, had to drive down to pick her up, I want to say on 12/20? She was off work until mid-January, just wiped out, couldn't breathe, coughed until dizzy, human snotbox. She tried going back to work as FT as she was, couldn't make it through a normal 8 hour shift until almost mid-February. Even then, she would go home, eat then sleep for 12 hours.

Good news, as of her test yesterday, negative for COVID. But, they want her to stay at home for 14 days due to her exposure. She can't afford to do that. Her boss asked if she was wearing a mask when she left. Yes. That was good enough for him, come to work in the bakery of a busy grocery store tomorrow.
  #634  
Old 05-19-2020, 03:33 PM
dorvann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,055
As an update to my earlier posts I am still alive. My mom is still alive. My nephew is still alive. So far all the scares we have had have been false alarms.

My anxiety has been better but I am stressed a little as my state slowly opens back that we will have a resurgence of cases and have to go back to strict lockdown measures. I can't wait until this is finally over.
  #635  
Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
As an update to my earlier posts I am still alive. My mom is still alive. My nephew is still alive. So far all the scares we have had have been false alarms.

My anxiety has been better but I am stressed a little as my state slowly opens back that we will have a resurgence of cases and have to go back to strict lockdown measures. I can't wait until this is finally over.
Glad to hear from you. The anxiety takes its toll on you. The trouble with this anxiety is that it's not about nothing. Most anxiety you can talk yourself out of-- is the plane going to fall out of the sky, if I get up on stage will people laugh me out of the building, is this lump a cancer that will kill me in six months... generally, those are not likely to happen. Not impossible, but not likely. But THIS that we're all facing... it is a real danger. Not something to be blown off and ignored. That low level of reality-based anxiety humming in the background is like a vibration that just wears and wears and wears you down. Hang in there, buddy.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #636  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:57 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
Good news, as of her test yesterday, negative for COVID. But, they want her to stay at home for 14 days due to her exposure. She can't afford to do that. Her boss asked if she was wearing a mask when she left. Yes. That was good enough for him, come to work in the bakery of a busy grocery store tomorrow.
Somebody needs to dox that store.
  #637  
Old 05-21-2020, 05:22 PM
skdo23 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,206
I'm in the hospital and they just stopped serving bacon, dammit.
  #638  
Old 05-21-2020, 07:04 PM
msmith537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 28,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Glad to hear from you. The anxiety takes its toll on you. The trouble with this anxiety is that it's not about nothing. Most anxiety you can talk yourself out of-- is the plane going to fall out of the sky, if I get up on stage will people laugh me out of the building, is this lump a cancer that will kill me in six months... generally, those are not likely to happen. Not impossible, but not likely. But THIS that we're all facing... it is a real danger. Not something to be blown off and ignored. That low level of reality-based anxiety humming in the background is like a vibration that just wears and wears and wears you down. Hang in there, buddy.
There is also the fact that life legitimately blows right now, even if you aren't sick.

Up until 2 weeks ago I had a pretty sweet job which I was mostly doing from home anyway. Except for when I would occasionally travel to a client, training, or some conference - which I like. One of the things I always loved about my job is just going to another city for a few days and visiting some company and seeing how other people work/live for awhile. Ok, fine. That sucks. I'll find another job eventually, but it's still annoying.

But since I don't know how long it's going to take to find a job, we let our nanny go. Which sucks for her, but it's probably for the best anyway. She was sick every other week with everything EXCEPT COVID-19.

So now I'm a stay at home dad, home schooling my son. Who, by the way tested on the autism spectrum last year. And as far as I can tell, his particular brand of high-functioning autism manifests itself as an obsession with all things LEGO and a complete refusal to do any school work I (just me) ask him to do. So IOW, very similar to the DSM-IV standards of being a five year old.

Because my wife works in the bedroom all day long (mostly on the same stuff that destroyed the economy in 2008), and I'm teaching my son all day, our daughter is mostly feral. Pausing from watching Disney+ films about princesses to hunt down and kill whatever food she can find around the house.

Of course there is nothing to DO all day (or night) anyway since everything is closed. I mean the whole reason we pay so much for an overpriced small condo on the Hudson River is because we both work in Manhattan and we spend a good portion of our time enjoying the benefits that provides - restaurants, bars, parks, museums, zoos, the NY Botanical Garden, etc, etc. I can't even use my buildings gym anymore.

So mostly my routine (aside from my son's schooling) is donning a stupid mask and going to a) Starbucks to pick up an app order, b) the grocery store or c) the liquor store. Sometimes d) takeout at a local restaurant.

I mean I don't want to complain too much because everyone is healthy and even with my lack of job, we are better off financially than most. I actually just heard that our former next door neighbor passed away from COVID-19. He had moved to Brooklyn last year after he quit his job as our building's super. So that kind of makes you think whether he would still be alive if he stayed here. And I have a couple of friends who caught COVID-19 and recovered.

I don't know. I just fucking hate this shit. Like this virus attacks everything I like doing - occasionally traveling for work, hanging out with friends, drinking at my favorite local bars, going to restaurants with my wife, taking the kids places around New York City, just basically doing stuff - and basically leaves me trapped in an overpriced 1150 sq foot condo with my family annoying the crap out of each other 24/7.

Last edited by msmith537; 05-21-2020 at 07:06 PM.
  #639  
Old 05-22-2020, 07:21 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 34,801
A buddy of mine who owns a bar and a bar/restaurant, both of which might never reopen, messaged me a few days ago asking if I knew anything about a rumor that restaurants with outdoor seating could reopen.

I explained to him that the governor would announce this, not rely on word-of-mouth rumors. He insisted he'd heard this rumor from reliable sources, but he'd listen to me and wait.

Turns out several restauranteurs also heard this rumour and opened up for sales on their decks. All were quickly reported, fined, and shut down.
  #640  
Old 05-22-2020, 08:09 AM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,857
One of my favorite independent stores in Portland, ME won't be reopening because of the pandemic. The owner is an awesome lady who has loads of neat stories about the Old Port, and the bags she made are absolutely gorgeous (and durable, too!). I can absolutely understand why she won't reopen; social distancing in her shop would have been impossible.
  #641  
Old 05-22-2020, 09:04 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
One of my favorite independent stores in Portland, ME won't be reopening because of the pandemic. The owner is an awesome lady who has loads of neat stories about the Old Port, and the bags she made are absolutely gorgeous (and durable, too!). I can absolutely understand why she won't reopen; social distancing in her shop would have been impossible.
Damn!
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #642  
Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,944
My older half-brother lives in northeast New Jersey just across from the NYC metro area, about the highest COVID levels in the United States. He's high-risk for age (70s) and for being HIV-positive(!). He's staying in his apartment as much as he can but when he does go out for indispensable supplies, people in the stores are ignoring mask and distancing. He reports having to literally flee from people like they were lepers, while they look at him funny and wonder what's his problem.
  #643  
Old 05-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Rodentia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
My workload shifted and increased.
I now have additional research projects related to COVID-19
Everything else is much the same, other than I don't need to meet people face to face anymore or travel
  #644  
Old 05-22-2020, 04:32 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,090
my friend in another state was in the hospital twice in Dec. but they did not know what was wrong. He has now tested positive for the antibodies. He had a bad case of it.
  #645  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:14 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
my friend in another state was in the hospital twice in Dec. but they did not know what was wrong. He has now tested positive for the antibodies. He had a bad case of it.
He got it in December? Where does he live?
  #646  
Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 PM
susan's Avatar
susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 10,328
My employer could not offer me enough work to guarantee I'd receive health insurance for the next year. I have put in paperwork to retire, and will need to get another job because in taking my benefit early, I'm losing a minimum of 100K in income and retirement payout, but at least this strategy will lock in a health plan for my family.
  #647  
Old 05-22-2020, 09:29 PM
msmith537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 28,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
My older half-brother lives in northeast New Jersey just across from the NYC metro area, about the highest COVID levels in the United States. He's high-risk for age (70s) and for being HIV-positive(!). He's staying in his apartment as much as he can but when he does go out for indispensable supplies, people in the stores are ignoring mask and distancing. He reports having to literally flee from people like they were lepers, while they look at him funny and wonder what's his problem.
That's odd. I live in the same area and you can't go into stores without a mask and they limit the number of people inside.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017