Old 03-12-2020, 08:42 PM

One of our sons won't be returning to school until at least April 6. He's home for Spring Break now, and they're adding an extra week on. After that, it's two weeks (at least) of online classes. He may go stay with his girl friend's family part of the second week of online classes; they live less than an hour from Ithaca. We're closer to six hours away.

My wife teaches at a massage school, and also coordinates workshops. It's crazy there right now. The DC school system, where I work, is closing to students on Monday to "prepare for possible online instruction." We had been scheduled for a professional development day next Friday anyway, so I don't see any reason for moving it unless the writing on the wall says "we're closing schools for weeks". I'm ahead of the curve on using the resources we already have for remote teaching and learning, and introduced some to students earlier in the year.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
The public school's spring break starts the 23rd. I expect that it will start early, and I'm almost certain that once it does start kids won't be going back to school when they're supposed to.
And public schools are closed immediately. Spring break starts one week plus one day early. That is sooner than I thought. I was mostly expecting they would make it through Friday, and then on Sunday announce it was closed for two weeks.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:58 PM

My studio is doing a trial run of working from home next week, in preparation for doing so... permanently, or least for the duration.

My wife works for the local hockey team, and they just announced that they are postponing the rest of the season. I'm very nervous about whether they'll need her if this goes on too long.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:18 PM

I can say that it really the most important of things, but my vacation just got cancelled - and not voluntarily at all. Unhappily, I haven't been on a real vacation in six years, and this was something I really wanted to do at a place I really wanted to go.

Merde.

Last edited by smiling bandit; 03-12-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Mrs. L.A. is a nurse. Rite-Aid is sold out of alcohol prep pads. We both wonder, 'What are people doing with those?'
I've been carrying those around for years. Every time I eat out, I clean my hands with them, even if I'm not going to be touching the food. It amazes me that people will eat a hamburger or pizza without even thinking about where their hands have been.

I just retired in January so fortunately I don't have to go to work. I had a job that could not be done remotely. As of this week, the only place I'm going is to my mother's house to pack up stuff. She died a month ago. I was already stressing because I'm trying to get things settled and this is all new to me. I'm waiting on a corrected death certificate and a response to a form I had to send in to TennCare (I'm in Memphis) and I can't proceed without those. I'm wondering if office closings are going to cause delays. Then when I get them, I need to see a probate lawyer and go to court. I have a realtor but we can't really do anything until I get the house in my name.

Things should start coming together in a couple weeks. Not exactly good timing. The realtor is a friend's sister and she is 71. I haven't talked to her since last week and I don't know how she is going to feel about showing the house if things get worse in the next few weeks. I'm starting to feel like I should just put everything on hold and wait to see if things get better in a month or so. I know that me being stressed is not good for my health.

Actually, just typing that out made me realize I do have to put everything on hold. This is a world-wide emergency situation and as much as I need to get this done, it's just not going to happen any time soon. I need to take a deep breath and relax.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:10 AM

Life carries on as normal here (Wet Midlands, UK) - I work at a university where we have no confirmed cases as yet, and only one known self-isolating academic (he has asthma and it's apparently normal for him to get cold/cough symptoms at this time of year). My dept runs language programmes so we have students all over the world on the year abroad part of their studies - some are stuck in lockdown areas, some have come home from other countries and some are choosing to stay. It's all a bit vague for them as the year/semester abroad has a residency requirement attached to it.

For us, it's business as usual although we are looking at all manner of contingencies, including how to run our 6-week exam session online instead of on campus. The senior mucky-mucks will take that decision and expect the rest of us to just make it work.

Personally, it isn't affecting me too much. Various music events have been cancelled that I would have been attending, the latest one due to travel restrictions as one guy from Prague can't get a flight out and the other guy he sings with is concerned about being able to get a flight back to his home in Spain. I haven't been grocery shopping since last weekend so no idea what that's going to be like, I might have a go at that tonight and see how horrendous the stupidity out there has become. I've been reading the comments on farcebook from my local newspaper (we have 5 confirmed cases, two deaths and a drive-through testing centre now) which serves only to prove that the population in my city has the combined IQ of a crayon.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:50 AM

My wife teaches at a community college. Yesterday they announced that classes will be taught on-line through (IIRC) 4/19.

I'm assuming our monthly gig at an old folks home next Sat is going to be cancelled. Another home has cancelled the weekly Saturday a.m. jams.

But other than that, pretty much life as normal.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:23 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I'm assuming our monthly gig at an old folks home next Sat is going to be cancelled. Another home has cancelled the weekly Saturday a.m. jams.

I read that last word as 'jams as in pajamas. What a visual!
Old 03-13-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
I've been carrying those around for years. Every time I eat out, I clean my hands with them, even if I'm not going to be touching the food. It amazes me that people will eat a hamburger or pizza without even thinking about where their hands have been.

I just retired in January so fortunately I don't have to go to work. I had a job that could not be done remotely. As of this week, the only place I'm going is to my mother's house to pack up stuff. She died a month ago. I was already stressing because I'm trying to get things settled and this is all new to me. I'm waiting on a corrected death certificate and a response to a form I had to send in to TennCare (I'm in Memphis) and I can't proceed without those. I'm wondering if office closings are going to cause delays. Then when I get them, I need to see a probate lawyer and go to court. I have a realtor but we can't really do anything until I get the house in my name.

Things should start coming together in a couple weeks. Not exactly good timing. The realtor is a friend's sister and she is 71. I haven't talked to her since last week and I don't know how she is going to feel about showing the house if things get worse in the next few weeks. I'm starting to feel like I should just put everything on hold and wait to see if things get better in a month or so. I know that me being stressed is not good for my health.

Actually, just typing that out made me realize I do have to put everything on hold. This is a world-wide emergency situation and as much as I need to get this done, it's just not going to happen any time soon. I need to take a deep breath and relax.
I'm so sorry about your mom. It's hard to be dealing with that on top of this CV thing. As much as you want to get on with settling things, it's probably better to hold off. Hugs to you.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:52 AM

I work at the Vanderbilt University library. All the undergraduates have been urged to go back home; classes will continue online, though. There are a lot fewer people studying in the library, now! Just grad students, at this point.

I was in an online staff meeting the other day, where they suggested that, at some point, we might be issued laptops so that we could work from home. I hope that it doesn't come to that, since I enjoy coming in every weekday.

I'm dreading going to Walmart tomorrow! I hope that I can find all the groceries and supplies that I need.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
I can see cleaning your fingertips with them, but one-inch squares seem too small to clean both hands. There has to be a more efficient way, like having a quick-drying gel that kill germs that comes in a small bottle that can be carried in a purse or a pocket.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:02 AM

Also Wisconsin. University students were told to not come back after this week's Spring Break. Smart... who knows what germs they'd be bringing back to The Petri Dish That Is Campus.
And local tech and private colleges just followed suit.

I'd been helping plan a mission trip (rebuilding a Caribbean island), but the college that was sending most of the students cancelled all their trips. That was my one trip planned (just retired).

Now I'm depressed, cycling quickly to anger. I should make it to Acceptance by next week...

BUT I'm relieved I won't be walking through The Petri Dish That Is O'Hare, and the Miami airport...

Last edited by digs; 03-13-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
After eleven and a half years, I've begun using the disinfectant wipes to wipe down my walkie-talkie at the start of a shift at work.

And Kayla's face-to-face classes at her school have been cancelled in favor of online instruction. Which is fine for accounting and engineering majors. Performing arts, not so much. Spring break is looming, and she's got plans to host three friends (different visits) over the next couple of weeks. One of them is coming on a class trip with the performing arts program at UCI, and is the most probable one to cancel (although we haven't heard anything yet), on account of the Great White Way just announced that it's shutting down for the rest of the month. Which is likely to put a damper on any activities planned for her other friends' visits.

She says that if they all three fall through, she's going to try to fly back home for the duration.
Yep, they all fell through, so last night she bought a one-way ticket to Las Vegas for Sunday morning. Two of her friends are driving out on Saturday, spending the night, and going to drive her back to Anaheim. Any excuse for a road trip, eh?
Old 03-13-2020, 10:48 AM

Minneapolis suburb. Nine confirmed cases in Minnesota as of yesterday, mostly in the Twin Cities area.
The local school district closed today, as someone in my neighborhood was in direct contact with one of the confirmed people.
My employer (government) has canceled all conferences and large gatherings, but otherwise it's business as usual. Due to low immunity, I'm now working from home for the next six weeks. My employer is still trying to figure out how to accomplish that. I know a handful of others have also been approved to work from home for the next few weeks. I think if the family courts close, our union will push for everyone to work from home. I do know a few people who have never worked offsite, so we'll see how that pans out.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

My employer is allowing people to work remotely if possible but given that our particular facility is a factory where things are assembled and tested, most of us canít.

I was out last night visiting a friend and went to a super market after 10pm. Things werenít too bad. The TP and rice was all gone and things like soup and crackers were kind of picked over. Surprisingly there were plastic bottles of water available. Everything else was plentiful.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:47 PM

An employee with two kids, 2 & 3, told us she couldn't find baby wipes and the supply of diapers was very low! Lots of discussion about making due without.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:13 PM

And we just received an email from the county administrator: Effective Monday, stay the hell home.
It was immediately followed up with an email from my division manager: Hol' up. Not so fast. If you have hearings, see clients, handle mail, you need to come in.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:13 PM

Meetings that I would have been flying to in the next few weeks all moved to virtual.
Scottish Football matches all postponed indefinitely. I have a season ticket for my local club (Hearts) and was organising a bus to the Scottish Cup Semi Final on 11th April.
Week long holiday in Croatia now cancelled - they are implementing mandatory 14 day self-isolation for all visitors from the UK. My accommodation was cancellable without penalty, and I'm hoping the airline will relax their cancellation policy too.
The value of my share portfolio has dropped by £3000 (about 15%).
Old 03-13-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I was just informed that a friend of mine, someone I hadn't seen in years but we have a very good friend in common, is very sick from the virus. He and a group of his friends all got it on a ski trip in Italy. Most of them are recovering but my friend is in a medically induced coma.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I'm so sorry about your mom. It's hard to be dealing with that on top of this CV thing. As much as you want to get on with settling things, it's probably better to hold off. Hugs to you.
Thanks ThelmaLou. I'm feeling better today since I've decided to let it all go for now. My retirement is certainly not turning out the way I was hoping, what with death, stock market crash and pandemic. A friend said the other day that who knew me retiring would bring on the apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I can see cleaning your fingertips with them, but one-inch squares seem too small to clean both hands. There has to be a more efficient way, like having a quick-drying gel that kill germs that comes in a small bottle that can be carried in a purse or a pocket.
I use them because I hate hand sanitizer. Yeah, it will kill germs but then your hands are covered in dead germs! Yeah, it's irrational, but I never could get past that. So a couple little squares do the trick for me and I'm throwing away the dead germs.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Suburb of Los Angeles - My son's school district just texted all parents informing us all schools will be closed for the next two weeks. I expect them to extend the closure a third week, seeing as the fourth week is Spring Break. All work will be done on-line, with instructions to come Monday. No known cases in the schools, but they're closing down to be safe.

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 03-13-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Suspended

MrsRico and I (early-70's) are due to see the kids (40-somethings) and grandkids (9 & 11) for Easter to devour another gourmet feast and otherwise be family. They're just a 3-hour drive away in our little RV. We are in fair health, were exposed to many people a couple weeks ago, have some respiratory woes but no COVID symptoms. Still, we're not sure about going. Almost everything is postpone-able. A missed holiday beats contagion.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:06 PM

Work has pretty much slowed to a stop. I've told both of my part-timers to stay home, paid time off. I have been to the office building twice in the last week, its pretty empty. All of the field workers already in place are staying there and doing what they can with what they have, conferences are all done online.

Today, I woke up smelling simmering wort because my husband got up early to start cooking. Yesterday morning I woke up smelling beer because my husband got up early to bottle his last batch.

I just looked in the hobby room, he has 160 gallons in brewing containers, 80 bottles newly capped and carbonating and 200 capped bottles ready to drink. We're going to need a lot more toilet paper.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Florence, Italy Airport closed. Made our way to aroma, hopefully get out tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:10 PM

The North Texas school district I teach in--which has been on spring break this week-just announced that our schools will be closed for the next two weeks. So I've got some free time.

Nothing was said about doing online instruction during this time, but I'm guessing we teachers will be told to prep and be ready to do that when these two weeks have passed in case the campus closures are extended. I'll be posting some lessons online next week for my AP students anyway, because we don't really have time to spare in those classes. Come to think of it, I wonder if all of this will affect the AP test administrations.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:31 PM

Reform synagogue in San Antonio has canceled Shabbat services and other events. Everything that can be will be streamed or conducted via Zoom.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Well, it's hit me personally, now. I just arrived for dialysis and everybody has to wear a face mask and have their temperature taken. Clients, techs, nurses, everyone. No exceptions.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
MrsRico and I (early-70's) are due to see the kids (40-somethings) and grandkids (9 & 11) for Easter to devour another gourmet feast and otherwise be family. They're just a 3-hour drive away in our little RV. We are in fair health, were exposed to many people a couple weeks ago, have some respiratory woes but no COVID symptoms. Still, we're not sure about going. Almost everything is postpone-able. A missed holiday beats contagion.

It sounds like you should call your doctor and get a professional opinion about your symptoms.

-My son's school just closed. I'm expecting at least 2 weeks and possibly longer.
-My daughter's school is moving to virtual learning. They've set up video conferencing. We'll see how that goes.
-My sister's district (she's a teacher) has just announced "student free campuses" for the next 2 weeks. I think that means that they're being jerks and making the teachers come in and sit in empty classrooms.
-On the plus side, there are a lot fewer cars on the road.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:05 PM

I forgot to add that my husband's employer closed the offices and ended all face to face contact. All work is to be done from home.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I paid a visit to my local Wal-Mart today for household staples. Just the usual, I wasn't planning to stock up on any panic stuff, but I noticed that the entire paper products isle -- TP, towels, Kleenex, etc. was empty of product. So was the cleaning supplies area. But the one shelf that I was surprised to find empty was the Ramen soup one -- absolutely none where 6 shelves were usually filled. It looked like the canned soups had been picked over pretty well, too.

in the checkout isle, I overheard a customer say he was going to trade his restored 1972 Camaro for two TP rolls that a neighbor had saved for emergencies. Glad to find someone so practical.

Our local annual Easter parade has been cancelled, but so far, no government meetings have been. The show must go on, eh?
Old 03-13-2020, 05:12 PM

We had a mandatory WFH day earlier this week to test how employees and the network will be able to handle that. Not a big deal for me, as a programmer, WFH has been an option if needed from day 1.

Today, most of the area school districts have announced that they are shutting down for a couple of weeks. Since we have a large number of people working here who have young children, they've said that anyone who can WFH, may WFH. We were already down to less than 50% of our people in the office, now I think there may be one person who'll show up Monday.

The interesting effect for me though is this: my company makes software for private schools. One of the features we have, and the one that was the project I was hired on for, is a web-enabled learning environment. Teachers can create assignments and quizzes, and set up online discussion rooms for specific topics. Students can then turn in the assignments, take the quizzes, and participate in the discussions online.

It's never gotten much traction before due to several issues, but now a lot of our schools are asking how to get it working, so they can switch to all online coursework until this is over.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:46 PM

hajario, I'm sorry about your friend.

A local distillery posted that it was offering hand sanitizer free--bring your own container. I ran over to get some non-potable, 68+% alcohol to mix with aloe vera for my MIL and SIL. I've seen several distilleries doing this--try to convince yours. My understanding is that this is a byproduct. They can't sell it, but they can give it away. I put $10 in the tip jar.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:45 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

No cases in my county yet, but school districts are closing just in case. The next district over just went into Spring Break and we go next Thursday. I'm sure they are hoping that two weeks will be enough time to get a handle on things. Closer to LA, Claremont USD just closed down until April 13th at least.

Just got back from the grocery store, where every single redneck asshole in town was panic-buying everything in sight. They were laughing about it until the Orange Shitweasel went on the air and told them to panic. Even the produce aisle was barren.

Last edited by silenus; 03-13-2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-13-2020, 07:31 PM

Yesterday it was announced schools in our county were closed for 2 weeks, today it went statewide, I will be doing some online stuff just to try and keep the kids in the loop. I havenít taught online before, although Iíve taken a lot of online courses. So, Iím a bit nervous wondering how itís going to work out. Iím hoping once I get through my first class it should be much clearer.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:37 PM

7 events I was going to locally have been cancelled or postponed. Only 1 event was something I paid for , a concert that is postponed.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

The governor of Ohio has decided that the disease is being underdiagnosed by a factor of 20,000 and that the CDC's guidelines are therefore irrelevant, and has therefore closed all schools in the state for three weeks. That's three weeks that I won't be working, and three weeks in which the students will be forgetting all of their work (which wasn't even left at a convenient stopping point) before they get back.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
No cases in my county yet, but school districts are closing just in case.
Aren't you in LA county?
Old 03-13-2020, 11:43 PM

Portland, OR here. I teach math at a local community college. Next week is finals week for Winter Quarter, then the week of the 23rd is Spring Break, and Spring Quarter begins on the 30th.

Last night the college district announced that the first three weeks of Spring Quarter will be online. The campuses won't be closed, but no classes will meet face-to-face. The board will meet on April 15th to decide if classes will resume normally on the 20th.

They also gave a vague directive that instructors are encouraged to "find alternate means of administering finals next week," and to "relax proctoring rules" or some such. Fortunately, this morning the department chair and division dean clarified this: our official stance is that students cannot be expected to come to campus for finals next week.

After discussing it with the chair, I've decided to go ahead with my finals (both are on Monday), but they are now optional. If a student is happy with their current grade, they can skip the final, and their current grade will be their final grade. If they want to take the final to try to improve their grade, they can show up at the original time and place, and I'll be there to administer it.

My wife is an independent bookkeeper, and I help her out. Our business is run out of our home. She has a few on-site clients, so if we have to quarantine she'll have to cancel her visits, but we can do most of our work from home with no disruption.

My daughter, who is autistic, graduated high school last year and is in her first year of a community transition program in the same school district. They announced last night that Spring Break is starting a week early, and extending a little bit. Students went to school today, and are now off until April 1st. Tentatively, I'm sure.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Seattle area.
1. All schools are shut until 24 April
2. All high tech companies have employees work from home if possible. Buildings where I work still have the receptionists (who admit to being bored) and maybe 5 people in the entire building.
3. Social distancing, stopping all gatherings of 250 or more (I think. Maybe it is 500)
4. local ski resort has shut their indoor food service, and limited lodge access to bathrooms and 7 minutes to warm up starting tomorrow. Today the bar was packed and the seating changed from long row tables to separate tables.

LA Area:
Chapman University, where my eldest attends school. Is in Orange CA, a couple miles away from John Wayne Airport and Disneyland. Announced on Wed and went to on-line classes on Thursday. Recommended that students all go home. But would you rather be in sunny warm Californina near the beach, or in the Seattle epicenter. Eldest is far safer in an empty school apartment there than back in Seattle
Old 03-14-2020, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

It hasn't affected us much, yet, except that we're making sure we have plenty of food in the house, and I no longer have to go to the client one day a week (which was an unnecessary exercise, except the contract said "x days of warm bodies in the building per month"). I expect we'll begin to feel it soon though - it's one thing to stay home nonstop because you want to, versus because you *have* to.

My husband will now be teleworking full time which will be an adjustment for him - he doesn't work as well at home.

I may be driving to Vermont, either this weekend or the next, to help my daughter move to a new apartment. I'll have to map out my route carefully to avoid any hot spots, and make sure I have food for the drive so I don't have to stop at any restaurants. We normally take a westerly route to avoid NYC, but we may stay on I-81 much longer than we normally do (usually we bounce off of Albany one way or the other). Hopefully hotel rooms will be available en route (and in her town), or I"ll have to push the drive in a single day and stay on her air mattress

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 03-14-2020 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:35 AM

Archdiocese of San Antonio has canceled Masses and public gatherings at least until March 31. I'm guessing that will be extended, as there's nothing special about that date. During Lent, FFS! Like everything in Texas, the Archdiocese is ginormous and includes 139 parishes in the city of San Antonio and the following counties: Val Verde, Edwards, Kerr, Gillespie, Kendall, Comal, Guadalupe, Gonzales, Uvalde, Kinney, Medina, Bexar, Wilson, Karnes, Frio, Atascosa, and the portion of McMullen north of the Nueces River.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

My cousinís kidís Bar Mitzvah is today. A lot of the attendees either decided not to travel to it or are local but elderly and are hunkered down at home. So they decided to live stream it for those who canít make it.

He and all of his friends were going to go to the Laker game tonight but obviously thatís not happening.

Last edited by hajario; 03-14-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:04 PM

We are on "recommended" work from home for a month, and people are taking the recommendation quite seriously. I went out and got myself a new external monitor and keyboard, because working through the laptop screen and typing on the tiny keyboard is painful.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
We are on "recommended" work from home for a month, and people are taking the recommendation quite seriously. I went out and got myself a new external monitor and keyboard, because working through the laptop screen and typing on the tiny keyboard is painful.
Way to parlay this into an excuse to buy new electronics. <Virtual high-five>
Old 03-14-2020, 04:30 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Aren't you in LA county?
Nope. I'm out in the 909.

Our school board met last night and pulled the plug. All schools out until April 6th. They basically just added 4 days to Spring Break, which was due to start on the 20th. All of our debate tournaments for the rest of the season have been cancelled. Nice money-saver for the team, but a bit of a slap to our seniors.

Our big(?) concern was for the cats, but I stocked up on litter today and Chewie just dropped off a hernia-inducing box of canned food and such, so the Lord and Ladies of the Manor are now better supplied than their human staff, and we're stocked for a couple of weeks easy. That's just prudent in Earthquake Country.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:19 PM

My 10 year - old usually spends a good portion of his spring break with my parents who live ~3 hours away.

This year I'm not letting him go. This morning we had the first case of community transmission in our county.

They're in their 70s and my dad is missing part of a lung from cancer surgery a couple years ago. It'd probably be fine, but if they do get it he's probably dead. Everybody is disappointed.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:44 PM

I had an appointment at the Apple store today to fix the cracked screen on my phone. There is no more Apple store.

I did go grocery shopping. The place was a madhouse. "You don't understand what's happening," an employee told me when I mentioned that there were, well, a lot of people. "Everybody's panicking."

The county executive closed all schools (but not day care centers, yay) for the next two weeks. We'll see if it continues. Also, the college where I do some work is going to virtual learning for the foreseeable future. I can do virtual learning with the students, but the issue is that the seminar I'm running is predicating on them doing field work in actual schools. Since the schools here are closed and since the students aren;t coming back, I'm not sure how (or whether) the whole thing is going to work.

And my wife is nearing 60 and is immune suppressed and on disability and hasn't left the house in nearly 2 weeks.

So on the whole, yes, it's affecting me!
Old 03-14-2020, 07:01 PM

Scar tissue massage (for medical reasons, not relaxing or enjoyable) cancelled. Workshop I was going to lead and be paid for cancelled. Looking forward to a week at home grading, cleaning, and maybe planting my victory garden.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:37 PM

There is a shortage of pasta on the shelves. We have some, but since it's shelf stable we decided to make noodles from scratch for tonight's dinner. However, we did yard work all day and now are preparing dinner that will be served around 11 pm.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:19 PM

Been ordered by DOD not to travel which is fine by me. Not wanting to go anywhere anyway. Hubby has a bad heart and has had other issues of late so he is under my orders not to venture out unless absolutely necessary. He says OK but we shall see. There are no known cases in our county but some in Miami about 130 miles away.