Old 03-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Last contact with General Humanity was hitting Vons this morning for fill-in supplies. Very picked over, but still got veggies for St. Patrick's Day boiled dinner. Surprisingly, the lemons and limes they had were quite nice.

I have a feeling the liquor cabinet is going to be quite depleted by the time this starts to ease. We might actually have to drink...blended Scotch!!! Oh, the humanity!
Old 03-16-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
I'm sorry.
Thanks, but I'll be OK. A lot of people I know won't be.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
blended Scotch!!! Oh, the humanity!
I thought better of you, man.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Hey, at least we aren't contemplating breaking into the bottle of Apple Crown Royal someone who doesn't know us very well gifted us last Christmas. There are limits. I'd rather be sober.

Best of luck to all Dopers everywhere. Stay safe, stay well, and heed the words of Freewheelin' Franklin if shit gets too deep.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Hey, at least we aren't contemplating breaking into the bottle of Apple Crown Royal someone who doesn't know us very well gifted us last Christmas. There are limits. I'd rather be sober.

Best of luck to all Dopers everywhere. Stay safe, stay well, and heed the words of Freewheelin' Franklin if shit gets too deep.
I'm going to the dentist tomorrow, which is near a huge liquor store I like. The one scary clown I really like. So I'll be getting beer & wine on my way home.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The Dope has gotten me through plenty of times with no work/school/travel/concerts/live sports events.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I'm going to the dentist tomorrow, which is near a huge liquor store I like. The one scary clown I really like. So I'll be getting beer & wine on my way home.
I have a doctors appointment today with the doctor who certified me for medical marijuana a year ago. Recertification is a yearly thing.

I just got a text that they don't want me to come to the office, instead she'll interview me telephonically. On one hand that saves me a 40 minute drive, then again it seems weird that I'll be paying $125 to tell her I'm really doing well and want to continue to enjoy cannabis.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I have a doctors appointment today with the doctor who certified me for medical marijuana a year ago. Recertification is a yearly thing.

I just got a text that they don't want me to come to the office, instead she'll interview me telephonically. On one hand that saves me a 40 minute drive, then again it seems weird that I'll be paying $125 to tell her I'm really doing well and want to continue to enjoy cannabis.
I used to pay $39/year to fill out a form online and talk to a doctor for five minutes. The law's the law.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Use it to flambe those steaks on the grill.

Quote:
Double ditto! This is just about the only social outlet I have left.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I just got back from another walk along the beach (Beaches feel safe -- very few people, and a stiff breeze to keep the viruses away). It looks like the Zombie Apocalypse out there, only with fewer bodies lying in the street. *

*My wife, Pepper Mill, dreamed about zombies last night. She started crying out in her sleep. Wonder where that notion came from?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post

I may be driving to Vermont, either this weekend or the next, to help my daughter move to a new apartment. I'll have to map out my route carefully to avoid any hot spots, and make sure I have food for the drive so I don't have to stop at any restaurants. We normally take a westerly route to avoid NYC, but we may stay on I-81 much longer than we normally do (usually we bounce off of Albany one way or the other). Hopefully hotel rooms will be available en route (and in her town), or I"ll have to push the drive in a single day and stay on her air mattress
We've cancelled the trip to Vermont; Moon Unit will have to find local help. Luckily she doesn't have all that much furniture to move, and it's a short trip (2 blocks). She could probably draft the other tenants in the building to carry her bed and kitchen cart for her with the promise of pizza!

I've cancelled a dental visit for later this week - just didn't seem worth it at this point.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:59 PM

I live in Oakland, CA and work in Bay Area. Everyone in tech is now being told to stay home. It's like if you leave your house to do anything you're a bad bad citizen. I was still going out, with some caution but now all eateries are closed by order of CA Governor Newsom. In my personal life I see a few people who are my mutual aid network, since I live by myself. My neighbors in apt building we're checking in by text but politely avoiding one another. I can still drive to a park I guess.

An atmosphere of civility with an undercurrent of fear. If you sneeze in public or even clear your throat, you will get stinkeye.

Local yoga studio continued to hold classes till today, we had to bring our own props, it was a nice big studio. Now they've moved to online classes and frankly I ain't feelin' it. I really needed a little bit of face to face for normalcy and now that's gone.

Groceries still open, stockouts on eggs. I can still find other food. Got extra split peas and such to cook at home. Not stockpiling thousands of cans of chili yet.

The 30-50 homeless people camped outside my building, with their dogs, their RVs, their tents are still there. Oakland is doing exactly the same for them now as before, which is nothing. I live in a light-industrial area and there's still some activity.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
No cases yet as far as I know in western Pennsylvania. When I talk to friends, pretty much all we talk about is the virus and how dificult it is not to touch your face.
You may touch your face if you desinfect your hands first. You should not touch anything else between the desinfection and the face touching, that I find is the hard part.
It is affecting me big time. We (wife & me) stay at home in Berlin (Germany) most of the time, only go out for restocking food. We wanted to move to a new appartment in April, that is probably not going to be possible, so we will be paying two rents for some time. Work is cancelled, but the contractors will pay our fees for the next two months as they are contractually bound to. No new contracts are being offered, same with all the colleagues I have spoken to. Complete shut down of the interpreter's market: no conferences at all except at the highes political level, and those are being done by staff (public servants). What happens after two months is everyone's guess: it may end being very expensive (two rents) and no income. We have many unread books, a well filled freezer and some beer, whisky, chocolate and champagne. I want to draw some cartoons (if I don't get to do it now, when?). We have a new Netflix subscription, we had been off for six months. We try to be philosophical about it, let's see how long before we get on each other's nerves.
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 03-16-2020, 03:50 PM

France here. All schools, universities and such are closed. Continuity of teaching is assured by internet. All bars, matchs, concerts and public events are canceled. Home containement is in effect for at least 3 weeks, the 2nd turn of local elections is reported. We are expecting a curfew in the following days, with all moves other than for getting food will be forbidden.
People are hoarding food, oil (and TP) in supermarkets. We seems on the brinks of a breakdown, that is worse than the Gulf war in "90, the aftermath of the Bataclan, or the SRAS.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchDunadan View Post
France here. All schools, universities and such are closed. Continuity of teaching is assured by internet. All bars, matchs, concerts and public events are canceled. Home containement is in effect for at least 3 weeks, the 2nd turn of local elections is reported. We are expecting a curfew in the following days, with all moves other than for getting food will be forbidden.
People are hoarding food, oil (and TP) in supermarkets. We seems on the brinks of a breakdown, that is worse than the Gulf war in "90, the aftermath of the Bataclan, or the SRAS.
Merci for the report from France -- and a belated welcome to the Dope!
Old 03-16-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchDunadan View Post
welcome! I am hoping we can all interact humanely here.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Here's a fun little update...

My daughter is also ADHD. She takes Vyvanse, which is a controlled substance. She's covered by the state due to her disability. They will only supply one month at a time; her therapist either transmits a prescription to Kaiser as needed, or writes out a paper prescription that we must take to the pharmacy. The closest Kaiser pharmacy happens to be at a hospital, about five minutes away.

Well, a month ago, when the therapist did the electronic submission, she also gave us a paper prescription because she would be on vacation the next time we need the meds (which is now). Earlier today my wife called our usual pharmacy and explained the situation, stated that obviously we are not going to go to a hospital, so how can they help us out? Can we mail, or fax, or scan-and-email the prescription?

They wouldn't budge. If we want my daughter's medicine, we have to take the paper prescription to their pharmacy to have it filled. My wife actually asked the rep "are you off your rocker?!"

If we can't get the medicine, it's not like my daughter is going out into the world for the next few weeks, so it's not a huge deal. But I'm wondering... there's a Kaiser family practice office about 15 minutes away, which has a pharmacy. And the pharmacy is completely detached from the main practice. Would it be any safer to go there? Or should we just ride out my daughter's nuttiness due to lack of meds?
Wife called the therapist's office this morning. It turns out the therapist wasn't able to go on her trip, and is "vacationing at home." She's answering calls and emails, so she's gonna send Kaiser a prescription electronically. So we'll be able to order the drugs online and have them mailed.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:29 PM

As I noted upthread, I head out to dialysis three times a week. We're required to wear face masks at all times, even in the lobby. I've started wearing a mask riding in the wheelchair van, too. Not to protect myself, I know a mask can't stop the virus. But mainly to reassure other riders. I'm not sick, but I do cough from time to time to clear my throat, and of course, I sneeze too. And since I have to wear a mask at the dialysis clinic anyway, I might as well go all out.

Last edited by cochrane; 03-16-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:00 PM

Good news, GESancMan.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:07 PM

My employer is about to shut down. For how long, I don't know. It's a largish law firm in San Jose, and it has never shut down in its forty year history. We're still waiting to get the official word from management.

My husband works from home, so if I'm home too and cooped up for several days or weeks, things are going to get snappish.

I bet domestic donnybrooks are going to go through the roof in the affected areas.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
I bet domestic donnybrooks are going to go through the roof in the affected areas.
That and/or lead to a baby boom down the road.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:14 PM

My oncology appointment has been deferred, as I expected it would since others have an active need and I'm farther out and need a routine exam.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
My oncology appointment has been deferred, as I expected it would since others have an active need and I'm farther out and need a routine exam.
Mine, too. I also called to reschedule my mammogram, which would have been next we, and they were rescheduling all of them to June.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
My employer is about to shut down. For how long, I don't know. It's a largish law firm in San Jose, and it has never shut down in its forty year history. We're still waiting to get the official word from management.

My husband works from home, so if I'm home too and cooped up for several days or weeks, things are going to get snappish.

Weed is legal in California. Just sayin'.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Inslee to order all bars/restaurants to close to fight virus

Quote:
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said Sunday night that he would order all bars, restaurants, entertainment and recreation facilities to temporarily close to fight the spread of COVID-19 in the state with by far the most deaths in the U.S. from the disease.
We usually go out to eat once a week. I told Mrs. L.A. that if we want margaritas, we'll have to go out tonight.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

No margaritas for us. The restaurant is only open for take-out.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Not a huge deal but California has suspended preventative dental care (cleaning and x-rays) for at least two weeks. Emergency dental care is still allowed. I happened to have an cleaning appointment on Thursday that has been re-scheduled.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
How are you personally affected by the Corona Virus?
Well, I've lost every bit of work that I had lined up for at least the next 6 months.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-16-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:59 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Finally! My dental appointment (to check the progress of my invisalign treatment) which was scheduled for 17 February is now on for 18 March. Yep, a month and a day later. I'm wondering if I'll have to stay outside the building until it's my turn like barbershop customers have to now.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Youngest still in university, and their classes are all remote starting in 2 weeks (next week is Spring Break). Still lots of confusion on exactly how the classes will be broadcast, whether Skype, or some app provided by the school. The profs haven't had much time to figure this out, so it will be a confused mess for a while.
Adobe is allowing schools to use the Adobe Connect program for free for 90 days instead of 7 days. It's set up as a trial, so the IT admins at the school would have to remember to cancel the trial on the 90th day. Connect is an online conferencing software, there's audio and screen sharing capabilities. WebEx, Zoom, Google, and Microsoft are also providing similar trial/limited time free use programs. I hope the information helps.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Well, I've lost every bit of work that I had lined up for at least the next 6 months.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm lucky: as a technical writer I can work pretty much from anywhere, and today our CEO told us that if we CAN work from home, we SHOULD work from home.

I'm in a high risk group, so I'd already planned to do that. The only reason I was in the office today was because I needed pictures of a device I'm documenting. As soon as I got those (they're not great pictures, but I'm not a photographer and my phone is ... a phone. I have trouble holding it still and getting things aligned properly), I headed out. I'll need to work an extra half hour or so a day to make up the commute time, but that's small potatoes.

Also, I scored a 10lb bag of basmati rice on the way home. Not my preferred brand, but it's good filler.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
No margaritas for us. The restaurant is only open for take-out.
When I lived in Louisiana, there was takeout booze. Drive-through window takeout booze.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:51 PM

We are still cruising here in NZ - only 11 confirmed cases in the country, all of which have either come in from overseas or were family transmission after returning from overseas. No cases of non-family community transmission at all, at this stage.

Overseas arrivals are required to self-isolate for 2 weeks after arrival, so overseas visitors have gone way down, and I am noticing a significant reduction in aircraft overflights over my house.

Work is fine - head office in the US is encouraging home working, and I am taking my laptop home more, but I'm still happy to take the train in to the office every day. It's not like there are many people coming in the office to make me get infected. On the other side of the equation, we are all very busy - my employer sells remote access solutions which I support, and a very large majority of our customers are scaling up from some home working to everyone home working, and putting stress on their equipment and back-end infrastructure. Busy times.

I also had a company event to attend overseas in May - it's been postponed till next year.

My wife works in a low-socioeconomic area high school (i.e 13-18 year olds). The current thinking is that it will have to remain open, even if things kick off - it's better that the kids are in a controlled and structured environment even if they are at risk of illness: leaving them at home or to their own devices is likely to cause more issues. But my wife may have to step back if the risk of infection gets too high - she would fit the category of higher risk.

We are just being careful, and will make decisions about family weddings, church attendance and shopping trips on a week by week basis. Fortunately, modern technology makes it easier to touch base with family and grandkids without too much running around.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
Just a thought, but it might be informative for posters to give a general location.
I'm in southern WI .... All travel, even within state, is heavily restricted. ...
Bull-shit. I have had absolutely no problems going anywhere. I have not heard of any travel issues.
I'm in NE - Wis. My tech school class was cancelled along with the rest of the tech school. But since it is all lab work, we are back on. My son at the same school is on an extended 2 week spring break. He will have to do some type of online study when they get back. Not sure yet.
My work schedule has not changed. I expect hours to be cut later on as we make the deep fried cheesy stuff for restaurants. Otherwise corporate is really enforcing the "clean and sanitize hands every time you walk through any door" policy.
My wife may have to volunteer to be quarantined at work. She works assisted living where none of the 20 residents ATM is under 80. Most of her co-workers have young children so we discussed that she is capable to stay at work for a few weeks if needed. Just negotiate a live-in pay scale. Also need to get 2 or 3 others to stay. Staff is 4 FT and about 6 PT.
Oldest son said his workplace is picking up for their normal summer peak period. He makes grilling meats. Daughter's high school is shutting down after today until further notice. She is a senior and had qualified for state FBLA. Now that is most likely not happening. Nor is any of the other spring time school stuff like prom. She and youngest son had planned on a week long spring break trip this week but they cancelled it Saturday. Mom was pleased.
Church had cancelled everything not called worship service. Now it sounds like that is done also.

BTW, we picked up a Costco megapack of TP last moth to get ahead of the rush. As long as power is on we easily have 3 months of food and water and we can always get more grillin' meats. And as for more TP, a neighbor works at the Charmin plant.
The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly flat dishwatery utterances of a man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States. --Chicago Times review of the Gettysburg address
Old 03-17-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
When I lived in Louisiana, there was takeout booze. Drive-through window takeout booze.
Oh, my gosh, drive-through daiquiris saved my sanity last summer when I was down there to help during a family crisis. And dozens of flavors! On days like today, I'd probably just make a continuous circuit through one of these drive-ins.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:13 AM

I'm finding it impossible to schedule a slot for my next Walmart Pickup. Not sure what's going on exactly, but I assume it's related to everyone else wanting to get their stuff via Pickup too.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:20 AM

I'm retired and relatively healthy so it doesn't affect me as much as it does many others, but the availability of household staples is a potential concern. The odd thing around here (southern Ontario) is the inconsistency among grocery stores. Last time I was out, last Thursday, the closest grocery store was completely cleaned out of TP, but another store down the road was completely normally stocked and even had their normal open hot-food bar and salad bar operating.

Today, panic buying had clearly set in. Parking lots were fairly crowded everywhere. TP was nowhere to be found, hand sanitizer was out of the question anywhere, and most stores were either completely out or almost out of liquid hand soap. I couldn't even get isopropyl alcohol at the drugstore, which I use for multiple cleaning purposes and thought would make a good disinfectant, because apparently in desperation people are buying it up to make their own hand sanitizer! I've never cared for wiping goopy stuff all over my hands, but getting enough liquid soap was important and I managed to scrounge up enough for a comfortable supply. TP was never an issue as I've tended to buy it in large quantities whenever it's on sale, but I pity those who are actually out. I guess that's why Kleenex supplies are also running out!

But the inconsistencies between stores continues. One large grocery store -- about the size of a football field -- had a lineup just to the self-checkout that stretched nearly halfway across the store. I guess a lot of cashiers were staying home. Another big store had no lineups at all. Schools are closed, the Canadian border is closed to non-residents, and commuter traffic is much lighter than usual during typical rush-hour times. The store that looked so normal last Thursday now has a very limited hot bar where everything is pre-packaged, and ditto for the salad bar and store-made baked goods. Shortages seem imminent. This particular store makes my favorite pre-grated Parmesan cheese, and I got two small packages out of three that were left. I attribute that to a staffing shortage.

In the worst-case scenario I have adequate food, although much of it is refrigerated and most of it frozen, so og help us if the fridge fails. There is a limited supply of canned goods, but in the worst case I have enough jars of excellent pasta sauce and boxes of spaghettini to last a year -- although the meatballs depend on the freezer being operational!

I see a feedback loop developing here where a lot of workers staying home -- particularly those in the manufacturing and transportation industries -- are going to make it difficult for stores to replenish high-demand supplies.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:22 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I am (was) taking a class in American Sign Language at the local college. It was a short course - 8 classes. We got halfway thru. They tell us class will resume in May. We shall see.

My daughter is a teacher. She'll be home now, so my child-care presence won't be as much in demand. She is supposed to monitor her student's work on line, and she's also taking an on-line class herself, but mostly, she'll be here. So far, we don't know if or how much it'll affect her husband - he works on the local Navy base.

The main effect on my husband is worry. He's supposed to have spinal surgery on Apr 28. We have no idea if it'll happen or not. And, of course, we worry about his parents. They're 90 and 89 and for as smart as they are, they're being kinda stupid. "We're thinking about going to the movies..." but they live 800 miles away, so we can't do a lot for them.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

The grandkids were on spring break last week, then the school district announced no classes for at least the next two weeks. So I was already planning on working from home at least a few days over the next couple weeks to do kid-sitting. But then I got in to work Monday and saw an email from corporate saying that anyone who can work from home, should, for the next two weeks. So I packed up my monitors and headed home. No way I was going to WFH for two weeks on a tiny laptop screen.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 03-17-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
That and/or lead to a baby boom down the road.
Or not... for me, kid(s) at home = few opportunities for getting it on.

As for domestic donnybrooks...true that. My 9-year-old kid said yesterday, "Dad, you'd better stay in your home office and work, so you and Mom don't drive each other nuts."

Last edited by JKellyMap; 03-17-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Aren't you clever for following those links! Stealth spam! Dang.
Wait, in a discussion about the coronavirus pandemic, who would NOT want to know about the top brands of washing machines currently being promoted in India?
Old 03-17-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Weed is legal in California. Just sayin'.
I went to the dispensary over lunch yesterday and stocked up on flower. There were only three or four customers in there, and I jokingly asked the budtender if they were expecting a run like the grocery stores were experiencing. He said that they are in the middle of a run, but that most people showed up at night. They still had some flower, but he said they were just about out of edibles and concentrates.

Welp, my law firm is closed for three weeks. They're still working out the details of how pay and benefits will work, and will email us later today. I'm about to drive out to see if my gym is closed, which it probably is. If not, maybe I can get one more workout in.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:08 AM

I'm driving my wife to a drive-through testing center in Puyallup, WA, an hour away.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:39 AM

Drove up to the LA Fitness that I go to 3-4 times a week.

Lot completely empty. Notice on door announcing their indefinite closure.

Back to my apt. complex, which has a small gym...

Nope, it's closed too.

Gonna have to spring for my own Nordic machine now (my preferred contrivance).
Old 03-17-2020, 11:46 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

We got word yesterday that our library system would close at 5 pm today for two weeks minimum. Still awaiting word on work-from-home requirements, payroll & leave time during the shutdown, etc. I took home a project I can reasonably work on from home yesterday, but Mrs. ToKnow's job isn't really work-from-home compatible, so that's why we're still a little unsettled.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 03-17-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

A planned meeting of my flying club was cancelled -- mostly because we meet at a restauarant and MN restaurants are closed (except for take out / delivery)
Got my login dongle yesterday -- will atttempt to work from home tomorrow (though there are maybe a dozen folks in the office)

Brian
Old 03-17-2020, 12:59 PM

This pandemic has really illustrated how intertwined everything is. Before it happened, I had scheduled a couple of trips. One was to go to California to visit my mom who had a couple of minor strokes in December. That trip was supposed to be this week, but I cancelled it on Saturday. We're all healthy but I didn't want to take a chance of infecting her or getting quarantined far from home. So all those travel accomodations were cancelled and most refunded: air, car, 2 hotels since we planned to have an extra night to ourselves in San Francisco before coming back, and a very nice restaurant.

I also have a small online retail business that I'm currently running out of my house (thank god) and can't yet afford employees (THANK GOD!). I can tell my sales are down from last week to this week, but I am hoping to weather the storm. The second trip I mentioned earlier was for this: an annual weekend social/shopping event where I vend in person. I just found out today that they had to cancel it. They cited the fact that all of the local businesses that supported the event had to cancel due to lack of business and their staff being quarantined, attendees cancelling, some vendors cancelling, and basically the whole event fell apart. This one hurts the most (emotionally) because it's an extremely well-organized event that has historically brought me the most sales. I did this year's budget based on the high amount of expected revenue from this event.

Well, it hurts but it won't put me out of business. But if this pandemic keeps getting worse and people stop spending money on non-essentials, it will go out of business. Oh, and I had to cancel my hotel reservation for that weekend. We're all adjusting and reacting and hurting each other's businesses, even though we don't mean to. It's just an untenable position all around.

DH and I are both self-quarantined in our house, but working from home so that's a goodness. I had planned to retire in the coming year or two but since the market crashed it looks like I'll be keeping that day job for about another 5 years.

Last edited by JcWoman; 03-17-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

First day of our shelter in place. The TV traffic report showed the roads leading to the Bay Bridge nearly empty during rush hour - emptier than weekends, more like Sunday morning at 5 am.

BART is running but with low ridership, and they say it is easy to do social distancing on the trains - which is sure a change from normal.

Just canceled the critique group meeting I was going to have at my house on Thursday. Might try skype meetings if the others can handle it. I'm the kid of the group at 68.

I still get to do my walks though - that is permissible according to the guidelines.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:23 PM

I came in to work as usual this morning. Then a site wide email went out a little over an hour ago saying that everyone who can do so is strongly encouraged to work from home. I think most people went home after that. I still hear a few people around, but things are eerily quite around here. It's kind of creepy.

I was thinking I would at least stay here for the rest of the work day since I've already here, and work from home starting tomorrow. But like I said, it feels kind of creepy being in a mostly empty office. I'm debating following everyone else's lead and going home now. There's a meeting in 10 minutes (over Skype) to go over directives from management on this. I'll see what comes out of that.

I don't really like working from home, but we are being told that we can take our docking stations, monitors, and keyboards/mice home with us, so that will make things a little easier.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:50 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I, personally, was not affected by this latest development in Beijing; however, I will relate what just happened to one of the foreign teachers at my school upon his return from Europe.

Effective 00:00, 16 March 2020, all persons returning to Beijing from outside China must go into a centralized quarantine center (the returnee is sent to a center in the same district as their registered address) for 14 days.

The fun part, as the teacher related it, started when the plane landed in Beijing. Nobody was allowed off the plane immediately. Immigration officers boarded the plane and took people off four at a time. It took approximately five hours to get everyone off the aircraft. So, if you're planning on returning to China anytime soon, you might want to adjust your plans accordingly.

Processing through immigration and customs was delayed due to the temperature check and a call to the neighborhood committee to verify that one does reside at the registered address. This last is because when one leaves China, even for a short vacation, the Immigration officer who checks your passport is supposed to collect the "accommodation registration form", but not all Immigration officers do so. If the traveler was lucky, they still had their form and the call to the neighborhood committee was skipped.

Then it was off to the designated quarantine center. The teacher concerned has been in lock-down for two days now and will post updates when he's sprung.