Old 04-16-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
A very odd tightness in my chest that is relieved by my albuteral inhaler. Not really sure what to think or if I need to get tested.
Check with your doc before relying on the inhaler very much. Our doc says her experience treating patients has been the nebulizer in the office, as well as personal corticosteroid inhalers, have had unpredictable results, more frequently exacerbating the breathing problems than fixing them. She doesn't know what's going on, but guesses opening up airways is like opening up the restaurant district for the virus--gives it more yummy tissue to glom onto. This is purely anecdotal, but it is an MD's observation. Wouldn't hurt to get your doctor's blessing, even if they tell you "Whoever told you that is a crackpot!"
Old 04-16-2020, 02:19 PM

I just found out today that my father has been diagnosed with COVID-19, although that diagnosis has not been confirmed with a test.

He's 86, he lives in a memory care facility where the virus has gotten in and there have already been deaths.

He's isolated in his room now.

We'll see how this goes, but there's no reason to be optimistic. Hopefully the staff can keep him comfortable without having to send him to a hospital, because I'm sure that if he goes into a hospital, and especially if he has to be intubated, he'll never come out.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:00 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I learned last night that a couple, with whom I've been friends for several decades, both developed COVID-19 last month.

They own a local insurance agency up in Wisconsin, and they had a booth at a pet-adoption fair at the beginning of March (since they and their agency support several pet-related charities), which was just before social distancing started being a thing. So, they were meeting a lot of people, shaking a lot of hands, etc.

Some days later, both of them started feeling quite sick, though neither of them ever wound up needing hospitalization. He's recovered more-or-less fully now, though he was in bed 24/7 for about a week. She's been slower to recover; she's had MS for decades, and wonders if her MS is flaring up due to COVID-19.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:01 AM

Never mind, posted this yesterday.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 04-17-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:03 PM

I'm finally getting over it. I hope, because it likes to relapse on you. I've never been that sick in my life although luckily I didn't have to go to the hospital.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Are there any intermediate options? Can you talk with her doctor about getting supplemental oxygen at your home, for instance? Or a CPAP machine? CPAP does similar stuff to a ventilator, except that it spews virus all around the patient. (so be REALLY careful yourself if you go that route.)
Luckily one of my superstar kids is a healthcare worker and hooked us up with a (sterilized) vitals kit. Missus' ox sat is consistently >95%. So that at least is not her problem at the moment. Mostly it's the fevers, the body aches, inability to keep food down, and shortness of breath. Evidently what lung capacity she has is sufficient for reclining/sitting. Doing what we can to keep her hydrated and fed, but it's more of a battle than one likes.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Over twenty cases reports at our workplace. More than half have recovered. The rest are still in quarantine. No deaths reported yet.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:50 PM

A total of 5 friends have reported testing positive; all seem to be on the way to recovery.

The worst report was "felt bad for a couple of days"; the others developed only mild symptoms.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:18 PM

Checked with some friends at dinner this evening.

Among this group of six was one reported death: relative of a friend, a 77-year-old man with end-stage pancreatic cancer. Also about a half-dozen reports of people with mild symptoms, looking like they'll soon be better.

I'm inclining toward the view that mild cases are common.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I just found out today that my father has been diagnosed with COVID-19, although that diagnosis has not been confirmed with a test.

He's 86, he lives in a memory care facility where the virus has gotten in and there have already been deaths.

He's isolated in his room now.

We'll see how this goes, but there's no reason to be optimistic. Hopefully the staff can keep him comfortable without having to send him to a hospital, because I'm sure that if he goes into a hospital, and especially if he has to be intubated, he'll never come out.
I'm sorry for you and your father.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:19 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

A high school friend of mine moved to Massachusetts last year. She is a hospice nurse. Sheís on about day 12 of being sick. It looks like she is over the worst of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoteuse View Post
I'm finally getting over it. I hope, because it likes to relapse on you. I've never been that sick in my life although luckily I didn't have to go to the hospital.
Thatís what she said. You think itís all better then the virus goes ďHello still here.Ē
Old 04-22-2020, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
My stepmother was extubated a couple of days ago and is due to be transferred tomorrow to a specialized rehab facility that specializes in weaning people from ventilators. They were going to transfer her over the weekend, but her heart rhythm went wonky at the last minute so they cancelled the transfer. Fingers crossed that it works this time. Dad seems to have escaped infection, thank goodness.
And she did eventually get transferred to the rehab facility and was being slowly weaned from the ventilator, but never really regained consciousness. She came down with a second round of pneumonia and died this afternoon.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:15 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
And she did eventually get transferred to the rehab facility and was being slowly weaned from the ventilator, but never really regained consciousness. She came down with a second round of pneumonia and died this afternoon.
Ohhh, no, Eva. I am so sorry.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 PM

I'm very sorry to here it.

Last edited by susan; 04-22-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:49 AM

I know several people who have got it or had it, some confirmed by test, all related to a school. I know one person who died from it (father of child at school). This is why opening schools first is madness. The idea that pupil are relatively safe may be true, but (a) children may be able to pass to other children and adults) and (b) adults are still working together and passing. Children cannot self distance.

These are my opinions based on experience, but as I have seen no hard evidence, it is all I can go by.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:32 AM

I just learned that my great aunt (who lives in Chicago) has it. She just got out of the hospital and seems to be on the mend.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I was wondering about you/her in light of the recent report that 88 percent(!) of ventilated patients in NY have died.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:26 PM

Just learned that my uncle has it. He caught it from a friend in his assisted living facility. The friend has since died. My uncle seemed to be getting better but is now tanking again. My understanding of the disease course is that getting better and then worse again suddenly is a bad indicator. He's 75 with pre-existing conditions. I'm hoping for the best but mentally prepared that it's not going to turn out well.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I just spoke to a colleague who was out much of January with a respiratory illness. At the time, the doctors decided it was probably severe bronchitis, but now she thinks her symptoms are in line with Covid-19. She plans to get tested for antibodies when that becomes practical. Her entire household got sick to some degree or other at the time, but have all since recovered.

Last edited by Acsenray; 04-23-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Just learned that my uncle has it. He caught it from a friend in his assisted living facility. The friend has since died. My uncle seemed to be getting better but is now tanking again. My understanding of the disease course is that getting better and then worse again suddenly is a bad indicator. He's 75 with pre-existing conditions. I'm hoping for the best but mentally prepared that it's not going to turn out well.
That's exactly what happened to my stepmother. When I talked to my dad yesterday, he said that her fever was back to almost normal and the rehab people were going to try again to wean her from the ventilator in the next couple of days. She was dead within a couple of hours.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Yes, quite a few by name.

I live in Astoria, Queens, NYC. Stands to reason.

Colleagues of mine. Friends of mine.

Colleagues of my wife's.

2 dead so far.

One- a 34 year-old man with 2 small kids spent 2 weeks on a ventilator. He is so far the ONLY person to be on a vent in his hospital out on Long Island who is not dead now.

So yeah. It's not some far off left-wing Blue State Deep State Fake News hash.

It's the motherfucking real deal.

ETA: EvaLuna, I'm so damned sorry.

Last edited by Cartooniverse; 04-24-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:38 PM

Just found out a truck driver that delivers to us quite often was diagnosed a month ago. No one else at the trucking company has it and no one at our company has gotten it as far as I know. I have not unloaded him lately but he had been using our restrooms and hanging around on our dock. Thatís my closest contact Iím aware of.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry to see this.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
So sorry, condolences.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:59 AM

EvaLuna and Cartooniverse, I'm very sorry.

A friend from work died of it a few days ago, we weren't close but it has me shocked, angry and afraid. I can't imagine how it must feel to lose someone close.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

One of my coworkers at the store I work at officially has it. She has a "mild" case meaning miserable sick but still at home and it's expected she'll be OK (but, of course, we're all worried that might change). It also means that the people who worked closely with her are all out in quarantine for two weeks. On top of everyone else out on quarantine, the folks on long-term leave due to medical conditions that leave them vulnerable, because they're caring for the vulnerable, or can't find child care so have to be home with the kids, the mental health days people are taking (which beats ambulance rides for those trying to tough it out and winding up with anxiety attacks that mimic heart attacks), and people at home because other routine illnesses are still a thing.

So on top of everything else we are horribly understaffed until we can get the new hires from this week on line. We've been hiring steadily, but the number of people applying for a job where you get contact with hundreds of people a day during a pandemic is not quite the crush you'd get during an ordinary economic crisis, and even with steady hiring we're starting to lose ground on the staffing

ETA: my friend's son who was on a ventilator? Still on a ventilator. That's something like 25 days. Even if he survives there could be all sorts of long term problems from this: permanent lung damage, neurological damage..... To repeat: healthy man in his 30's, no per-existing conditions that would increase his risk of complications. Yet here are the complications.

Last edited by Broomstick; 04-25-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what happened to my stepmother. When I talked to my dad yesterday, he said that her fever was back to almost normal and the rehab people were going to try again to wean her from the ventilator in the next couple of days. She was dead within a couple of hours.
My uncle died this morning. I don't think he was ever intubated (non-invasive ventilation), and we got a positive update just yesterday that they were thinking of moving him out of ICU. Then he suddenly crashed overnight. The way this yo-yo'ed has really thrown us for a loop. False hope.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:17 PM

I'm very sorry.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:26 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Friend of mine here had an uncle just pass away from COVID-19. His uncle was back in Africa, so going there for the funeral is untenable for a number of reasons, all of which are directly due to the pandemic.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:00 AM

My buddy from college is in the hospital. Fever, trouble breathing, and severe GI distress. He's around 50, no underlying conditions afaik. His family had it too, but not bad enough to be hospitalized.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:08 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
A happy one, close enough for me to care- patient's stepfather and I have been pals since 1955.
She's in her mid 30's, married, one-year old daughter (her first), lives in San Francisco. Biologist, works in a lab doing research on I can't remember what.
Early on, she came down with the telltale symptoms, her Doctor diagnosed COVID, she self-isolated at home. I don't how sick she got, but she recovered fully. Her isolation apparently was executed properly (not surprising considering her field of expertise) because husband and infant daughter never caught it.
Quoting myself for an update.

Found out last week that my sister's Aunt* was down with COVID. Learned this morning that she died of it. She was 82. Not that it matters, she'd been in dementia for years.

* Sis was adopted at birth 54 years ago. Last year she found her biological parents, who were happy to embrace and welcome her.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:51 PM

I took the test and came back negative but was advised by who ever it was that called me that I still most likely had the virus based on the symptoms. One thing she said I was not aware of and I may have misunderstood her. She said that about 10 days after the onset of the virus there is a good chance I would come back negative. I took the test about 15 days into it. After the weird tightness cleared up my chest was building up a lot of mucous, today was the second day on antibiotics and it is clearing up pretty fast. I developed a fever about 14 days after the onset of symptoms which I don't think it typical. My only symptoms were itching all over my body and a strange tightness in my chest, bothersome but not too bad.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:31 PM

A colleague/friend and her husband think they have it, but haven't been tested. I said in another thread that I didn't know anyone else but I forgot my nephew's godfather had it. He has a chronic lung condition and was put on a ventilator, but was released from the hospital a couple of weeks later.
There are a few people mentioned on the church's prayer line, but friends and family, not members or regular attenders.

My best friend's husband (also a good friend) and my husband's cousin both died of cancer in April. No way of knowing in COVID-19 had any role in their passing.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:26 PM

I have an acquaintance, we serve on an HOA board. Her mother died in a nursing home a couple days ago. The board stopped by together to offer condolences tonight (hugs involved), found out (post hugs) she died of Covid-19. My second close contact.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:29 PM

The virus is inside my mother's assisted living facility. 13 residents and 3 caregivers positive, an unspecified number of caregivers quarantined at home.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

A high school friend who now lives in Jersey City and one of her roommates just got back antibody test results - both positive. A second roommate is still waiting for results. They had some symptoms in February and March, but weren't sick enough to be hospitalized (or tested).
Old 05-16-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Fingers crossed for the both of you, my friend.
Thank you.

Pushing two months after exposure, still having lingering annoying issues that just refuse to be shaken. Cough (though much more infrequent), low O2, out of breath after light exertion, fatigue. I was one of the lucky few that ended up with a rash, and some of it is still there, along my ribs. Hubby is pretty much fully recovered, though he also struggles with exertion. I have an appointment with my PCM in two weeks for an unrelated issue; I anticipate being offered the antibody test, which I'll likely consent to.

I've started job searching in earnest; hubby anticipates being called back to the office in the next two weeks or so. They'll do a rotating schedule, with 20% of the office being physically there at a time. I've made him a stack of masks in preparation.

A report came out yesterday that a handful of sailors on the Roosevelt who had the virus have tested positive after recovery, two negative tests, and appropriate quarantine. That, quite frankly, terrifies me. I want absolutely no part of a round two of this thing.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
I want absolutely no part of a round two of this thing.
Nobody does, but at least in the United States we all know what is coming.

I wish you and your spouse the best of luck. Can I ask some semi-personal questions? Does the rash hurt? Does it itch? Is it like acne? The few photos that have floated across my newsfeed showing rashes are mostly of children who are developing this unexpected and horrific variety of Kawasaki Disease.

I hope that your respiratory systems both recover fully. As a lifelong asthmatic, I truly get what it is to be suffocating silently. Be safe.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
Thank you.

Pushing two months after exposure, still having lingering annoying issues that just refuse to be shaken. Cough (though much more infrequent), low O2, out of breath after light exertion, fatigue. I was one of the lucky few that ended up with a rash, and some of it is still there, along my ribs. Hubby is pretty much fully recovered, though he also struggles with exertion. I have an appointment with my PCM in two weeks for an unrelated issue; I anticipate being offered the antibody test, which I'll likely consent to.

I've started job searching in earnest; hubby anticipates being called back to the office in the next two weeks or so. They'll do a rotating schedule, with 20% of the office being physically there at a time. I've made him a stack of masks in preparation.

A report came out yesterday that a handful of sailors on the Roosevelt who had the virus have tested positive after recovery, two negative tests, and appropriate quarantine. That, quite frankly, terrifies me. I want absolutely no part of a round two of this thing.
AIUI the consensus as of now is that people who test positive after recovery haven't been reinfected and don't get sick again. They just have remnants in their bodies. It could be a risk to other people but less likely a risk to them. Doesn't mean they could not get reinfected, but that's not what's thought to explain those positives (also some people in South Korea, etc).

A second wave of the virus in general, which the previous response seems to refer to, is a real concern but a largely separate issue. Only a small % of people in the US (or anywhere) have been exposed (highest antibody test positive rate I've heard was NY at around 20%, I live right next to it, but subject to possible sample bias and uncertain false positive rate of particular test used, AFAIK). 'Second wave' assumes the pandemic largely dies out over the summer then lots more, mainly previously uninfected, people get it next flu season. It would add on if recovered people also got it again but that's a pretty small % of the population.

I was exposed according to antibody test (particular brand claims 100% specificity, no false positives in manufacturer's test, according to them). I now assume the few weeks of persistent but moderate 'flu like' symptoms I had in March was COVID. Only mild fever on two separate days, but disconcerting breathing symptoms for a few weeks. In fact, my breathing is not 100% now, although I don't feel weak and the symptoms get better not worse if I exercise. When I sit around it's more likely I still feel some constriction, and it still interferes with my sleep sometimes.

The likelihood though not certainty AIUI is that a reinfection is less likely and/or would have less severe consequences for a given person if they have antibodies all else equal. That's not the 100% worst case, but the 100% worst case is generally that we're doomed.

Last edited by Corry El; 05-17-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
Can I ask some semi-personal questions? Does the rash hurt? Does it itch? Is it like acne? The few photos that have floated across my newsfeed showing rashes are mostly of children who are developing this unexpected and horrific variety of Kawasaki Disease.

I hope that your respiratory systems both recover fully. As a lifelong asthmatic, I truly get what it is to be suffocating silently. Be safe.
Thank you. Happy to answer any personal questions about any of the symptoms (they were many, and varied, some weird, and all annoying). The rash was not painful, and not all of it was itchy. From about the middle of my throat to the top of my breasts was just a big, flat, red splotch that looked like a sunburn and itched like the dickens. Then it transitioned to the area underneath my breasts and along the ribs from side to side (never went all the way around back) which looked much more acne-like; the underlying skin was normal-colored, but the whole area is covered in small, flesh-colored bumps that never looked or felt pop-able- more like a heat rash. The rash along the ribs is still there; the rash on the throat/chest is significantly diminished but there are two stubborn spots that refuse to fully heal and itch even more now than they did when the whole area was inflamed. I take an antihistamine to try to control the worst of it.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Ouch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 09:55 PM

A friend had both of his parents test positive, the father first and then a week later his mother. They died within 10 days of each other.

Two colleagues tested positive but recovered fully within a couple of weeks.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:53 AM

I was really sick in mid-March after returning from a trip to London (the outbreak there was shutting parts of the city down, and forced an earlier return). Symptoms started with diarrhea when I got back that lasted about four days, then a fever for 9 days (101-102.5, tylenol would mostly knock it down but it was a constant chills and sweats) a few days of intense headaches, and a rash around my lower trunk down past my waist). I was very fatigued throughout. I suspected COVID but tests were by doctor order only then, and the diarrhea and rash were not known symptoms at that time. I had no respiratory issues (no cough, shortness of breath) but after recovery (7 days after the fever left for good) I tried my normal cardio routine and it kicked my butt (I've laid off exercise for several weeks before and coming back to it has never been that tough). Because testing policy was restricted to having the key symptoms AND travelling to a high risk area (then it certain areas of China and Italy, Iran) OR being in close proximity to a person with a known infection, my doctor would not order a test. I self quarantined in a guest room with an en-suite bathroom to keep away from my wife and kids until I was better.

Last week I took the antibody test and it came back positive. My wife then scheduled for this week to see if she had it, too (she had minor common cold symptoms at the same time, nothing worse). The kids never got sick, nor did others travelling with us.

FWIW it's worth, here's the test I took: QuestDiagnostics.com/home/Covid-19/HCP/antibody/fact-sheet2 Abbott Labs is advertising that in testing it was 99.9% unlikley to report a false positive.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
My buddy from college is in the hospital. Fever, trouble breathing, and severe GI distress. He's around 50, no underlying conditions afaik. His family had it too, but not bad enough to be hospitalized.
Update, he is fine now, but it was a serious case.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Today I found out a coworker had been diagnosed in March and was released from the hospital in early April. She is middle-aged and her oxygen levels dropped low enough to threaten her life. She's "fine" now, but still suffers from shortness of breath.

Two coworkers have been infected, but I work at a large office and don't know most of the people there.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

The nursing home where my wife's grandmother had been - 3/4 of the residents and a whole bunch of staff all tested positive for Covid-19, including my wife's grandmother. She died last week, but she was already in late-stage Alzheimer's, and it looks like that got her before the virus did.

(She never developed any recognizable Covid-19 symptoms: no fever, no difficulty breathing, etc. But she'd lost the ability to chew several months ago, and shortly after she went into the hospital, she seemed to lose the ability to swallow, and her living will specifically said: no feeding tube. So that was it.)
Old Today, 12:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Posted elsewhere. Repeated here, the thread of record:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
My Covid-19 experience - or - I told you I was sick

In late January I had a not-breathing episode triggered by choking on my breakfast. Off to the hospital I went because Covid-19 still hadn't made a name for itself on these shores. While there I had a "very high" fever (the highest I heard was 100.4F ). The coughing, which wasn't all that different from my norm, required far deeper reaching than normal, and what it brought up was a teaspoon of phlegm about half as gooey and sticky as a fresh gummi bear. I did a dozen of them a day, spitting them out but making a mess because they were so sticky. My fever, what there was of it, broke and I was sent back here.

A daughter, who works at an upscale public high school, had the same, and she concluded that she had caught Covid-19 from one of her students. It made sense to me, and that's why I decided I had it. And as our director of nursing was one of our two fatalities and I had met with her after my hospital visit I chose to include her death in the Legend of dropzone.

They finally began testing everybody. First they gave me a swab test, but that took too long to get back, so I failed the blood test. They sent me to the hospital where I got more tests. It was needless because my swab test results were delivered while I was in the ambulance. I came back here and got dumped in the Covid ward for a week or so. I got out yesterday and the cough ended today.