Old 04-08-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Linda Tripp has just died.

Wait, at first it was said she was very ill with the virus. Now it is being reported she died of an undisclosed terminal illness.
Wikipedia sez pancreatic cancer.

Quote:
Tripp died from pancreatic cancer at the age of 70 on April 8, 2020.
Source: Linda Tripp, whistleblower in Clinton sex scandal, dead at 70 from cancer

Quote:
Linda Tripp, the woman who taped conversations with a young White House intern and almost brought down an entire American presidency, is dead at age 70 after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer.

Tripp’s death was reported by The Daily Mail on Wednesday afternoon.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
Charlotte Figi

RIP....way too young!
That COVID caused her death hasn't been proven, although it sure sounds suspicious.

RIP, Charlotte. You were a medical pioneer without knowing it.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:04 AM

Yeah, John Prine is the first death of someone I had even heard of before, and I really liked him.

I wish people would read the subject line carefully and distinguish between people who have contracted the virus (which in some cases may be not much more than a minor passing illness) and those who have died.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:04 PM

Mathematician John Conway, of Conway's Game of Life fame.

Not yet confirmed by news sites, but tweeted by people who knew him.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22843306
Old 04-12-2020, 07:18 AM

...Tim Brooke-Taylor. Dammit.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotGrrrl View Post
Mathematician John Conway, of Conway's Game of Life fame.

Not yet confirmed by news sites, but tweeted by people who knew him.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22843306
This is a big one for me. I remember when the Game of Life article in Martin Gardner's column came out. People were programming it all over the place (including me).

The Math dept. at one college I worked at had him visit for a couple of days. He gave talks, etc. He was absolutely marvelous to hear.

I guess he had more than 3 neighbors with coronavirus.

Last edited by ftg; 04-12-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
...I guess he had more than 3 neighbors with coronavirus.
That's.... an oddly appropriate thought. Assuming the news is true, that probably is more less the cause of his death.

He was on the faculty at Princeton when my husband was a graduate student there. He used to make up games involving coins on a grid, and challenge all and sundry to play him. Sometimes you wanted to make an unbroken path from here to there. Sometimes they were more like "life". I played him a few times, and he always destroyed me. But he was a nice guy, and fun to hang out with, so I would go back and be destroyed again.

He was also a terrific public speaker.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:51 PM

Goddam it. Conway was one of the great mathematicians of the 20th century, and was productive in a vast range of areas of math. Most people know him from his Game of Life but he did a lot of groundbreaking work in the area of game theory, knot theory, group theory and many other areas. He invented surreal numbers, Conway's arrow notation, the Conway polynomial for knots, the Conway polyhedron notation for classifying polyhedrons, and much more.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
This is a big one for me. I remember when the Game of Life article in Martin Gardner's column came out. People were programming it all over the place (including me).

The Math dept. at one college I worked at had him visit for a couple of days. He gave talks, etc. He was absolutely marvelous to hear.

I guess he had more than 3 neighbors with coronavirus.

He also gave us the game of Sprouts, an absolutely outstanding, IMHO, paper and pencil game.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:05 PM

RIP Mr. Conway.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
He also gave us the game of Sprouts, an absolutely outstanding, IMHO, paper and pencil game.
I've "played" sprouts with the co-inventor Michael Patterson. By that I mean we went thru the motions while he completely dominated me. I could never "see" a strategy for it. (Patterson also attended my PhD defense and once got me a drink.)
Old 04-12-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I've "played" sprouts with the co-inventor Michael Patterson. By that I mean we went thru the motions while he completely dominated me. I could never "see" a strategy for it. (Patterson also attended my PhD defense and once got me a drink.)

If you see it as a conflict game like Chess, then you might not find any workable stategies; however, if you treat it like a territorial game like Go or Amazons, then you'll find some that work. The terminology of the game (each starting point having a total of three liberties, for example) tends to guide me to that viewpoint.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:08 PM

There's a lovely profile of John Conway here from a couple of years ago, for anyone who's interested.

I would count myself among those agreeing that Tim Brooke-Taylor is the worst lost so far
Old 04-12-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I've "played" sprouts with the co-inventor Michael Patterson. By that I mean we went thru the motions while he completely dominated me. I could never "see" a strategy for it...
yes, this was exactly my experience playing with Conway. Maybe sometimes I developed a glimmering of strategy, but always way too late for it to do me any good.

He was incredibly inventive. And brilliant, of course.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
Maybe americans don't know him ?
He was one of the Goodies and a friend of the Monty Python crew.
In fact he appearred in "How to Irritate People" with a number of the Pythons.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:37 PM

Alan Garfield, well known character actor.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/allen-g...or-1202903310/
Old 04-13-2020, 07:06 PM

I remember Garfield from "Cry Uncle".
Old 04-13-2020, 07:17 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilder View Post
Maybe americans don't know him ?
He was one of the Goodies and a friend of the Monty Python crew.
In fact he appearred in "How to Irritate People" with a number of the Pythons.
The Goodies was never shown here as far as I know. At least anywhere I lived.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The Goodies was never shown here as far as I know. At least anywhere I lived.
I watched the Goodies, it was on after MPFC on our local PBS station. I'll miss him greatly.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:32 PM

A HIV researcher dies of coronavirus and people are still discussing singers as the most famous people to die of coronavirus: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/o...ronavirus.html

The death of medical doctors from COVID-19 and people like Gita Ramjee should attract more attention than singers/actresses/actors etc.

It is truly sad what you are doing here.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:33 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I watched the Goodies, it was on after MPFC on our local PBS station. I'll miss him greatly.
It was on our local PBS station in Wisconsin for a brief period in the late '70s (and I remember watcing it a few times), but I don't think it ever got the exposure in the U.S. that Python did, and I wouldn't be surprised if most Americans have never heard of the show or the trio.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverocK View Post
A HIV researcher dies of coronavirus and people are still discussing singers as the most famous people to die of coronavirus: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/o...ronavirus.html

The death of medical doctors from COVID-19 and people like Gita Ramjee should attract more attention than singers/actresses/actors etc.

Perhaps you have a poor grasp of the meaning of the word "famous"?
Old 04-13-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
A very similar thing happened when Mother Theresa died in the same week that Princess Diana died.

It's "popularity" being mixed up with fame.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:

So... Add them to this thread? Conway was a mathematician, not a singer, fwiw. I'm sure there's room here for remembrances of doctors and research scientists.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I have a far better grasp of what famous means.
It is not my fault you don't know her. She died and you are engaging a silly polemique with me about that? How shameful and evil this is!
Old 04-14-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
It is not my fault you don't know her. She died and you are engaging a silly polemique with me about that? How shameful and evil this is!
I think perhaps you don't understand the point of the thread. It's not about which COVID-19 deaths are most significant or crushing; it's about which celebrity's death created the biggest shock, and made people realize how big this pandemic is. As Rock Hudson's did for AIDS.

The death of this HIV researcher, while important and tragic, doesn't qualify.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 04-14-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

https://whdh.com/news/bernie-rubin-f...lated-illness/

Bernie Rubin, half of Bernie and Phyls furniture chain in New England passed away yesterday. He was on all the TV ads so many people around here would recognize his face and voice.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
https://whdh.com/news/bernie-rubin-f...lated-illness/

Bernie Rubin, half of Bernie and Phyls furniture chain in New England passed away yesterday. He was on all the TV ads so many people around here would recognize his face and voice.
Oh, that's sad. I wonder how old he was. I suppose the link probably says...
Old 04-14-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Apparently not. "Famous" means "known about by many people." That's all it means. You may argue that Ramjee should have been more famous, but the fact is that she wasn't; she was not famous.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:39 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

Quote:
Moderator Instructions

The question of who "should" be more famous is irrelevant to the question of who "is" more famous.

Since you disagree with the premise of this thread, I am instructing you to stop posting in it. If you want to discuss how evil the standards of fame are, you may start another thread in the Pit.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator
Old 04-14-2020, 10:44 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Moderator Note

This said, this point could have been made without the snark. See Machine Elf's post for a proper example.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 04-14-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
I think perhaps you don't understand the point of the thread. It's not about which COVID-19 deaths are most significant or crushing; it's about which celebrity's death created the biggest shock, and made people realize how big this pandemic is. As Rock Hudson's did for AIDS.

The death of this HIV researcher, while important and tragic, doesn't qualify.

This.

Conway sounds like a cool and important guy, but I don't recall having heard of him. John Prine is still the only death I've heard about of someone I knew of before all this.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
This.

Conway sounds like a cool and important guy, but I don't recall having heard of him. John Prine is still the only death I've heard about of someone I knew of before all this.
He was incredibly prominent among those people who might have heard of some mathematicians. Also, I knew him.

(I hadn't actually heard of John Prine, but he sounds famous and important.)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:12 PM

Tim Brooke-Taylor was very famous in the UK, and a few people in the US might know of him because he originated the Four Yorkshiremen sketch with John Cleese and others. He was a member of the Goodies, which rivalled Monty Python for popular surreal humour, and widely known as a genuinely lovely person.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
This.

The Game of Life is really, really huge for computer scientists and mathematicians, and that was only the most popular thing that Conway developed. To even be known in pop culture as a mathematician in the modern age is incredibly rare; the only others are probably Andrew Wiles and John Nash, and the latter only became really well known after he had a movie made about him. Given that we're on a internet message board with an intellectual bent, there are going to be plenty more people who know about Conway than compared to the general public.

So while I can see that to the world in general, Prine is probably the most famous, to the denizens of this board, Conway is much more likely to be better known.

Tim Brooke-Taylor I feel would be more famous to me if I was told what he did; I'm familiar with him being on the At last the 1948 show (or whatever it was) where the 4 Yorkshireman premiered with 2 future Pythons, but I didn't recognize the name without that. All I could tell you about John Prine is that he was a musician; I'm not familiar with any of his work.

Last edited by glowacks; 04-14-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:01 PM

If you don't know John Prine's music, you may know Angel from Montgomery, which he wrote and Bonnie Raitt sang.

This is the article Rolling Stone published after his death.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:49 AM

Whether or not you like that rootsy style of music, I think most can appreciate Prine's off-kilter sensibility as expressed in his lyrics. One of my favorite examples is his duet with Iris DeMint, "In Spite of Ourselves":

Moderator Note: Lyrics removed. Please do not copy and paste the entire lyrics to a song as that goes far beyond fair use.

Still makes me smile. Cheeky and bawdy, yet sweet at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
He was incredibly prominent among those people who might have heard of some mathematicians. Also, I knew him.

(I hadn't actually heard of John Prine, but he sounds famous and important.)

Yeah, the reverse is the case for me. Although in my case I am fairly familiar with three relatively modern day mathematicians (who were prominent in the past hundred years or so): Godel, von Neumann, and Turing. Funny thing with that is that I know a fair bit about each; I can't think of any that I've just vaguely heard of without being able to say anything specific about them.

Last edited by engineer_comp_geek; 04-15-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Copyrighted material removed
Old 04-15-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post
The Game of Life is really, really huge for computer scientists and mathematicians, and that was only the most popular thing that Conway developed.
Check out the latest XKCD.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post
... John Nash, and the latter only became really well known after he had a movie made about him.
Conway became famous when Scientific American wrote about him (Gardner, Mathematical Games, 1970). Before the internet, when we read magazines for fun and edification.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:14 AM

Just saw on Military.com that the actor, Forrest Compton, who played Gomer Pyle's battalion commander, Lt. Col. Edward Gray, died from COVID-19, back on 4 April 2020.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Check out the latest XKCD.
Oh, that is perfect. Esp. love that it produces a glider that moves on forever. Very symbolic.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:56 AM

The cause of death is ambiguous, but given the timing and where he lived, covid seems likely.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/114024...as-passed-away

I doubt many people know his name, but his photo shop was huge and influential, so I feel like he belongs in this thread.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Oh, that is perfect. Esp. love that it produces a glider that moves on forever. Very symbolic.
And he isn't fudging it--that's the actual way that configuration plays out.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
And he isn't fudging it--that's the actual way that configuration plays out.
I figured Randall would do a real one. But that leaves open the question of whether it is original. The glider thing from such a small configuration while maintaining a human shape isn't trivial.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:06 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
The cause of death is ambiguous, but given the timing and where he lived, covid seems likely.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/114024...as-passed-away

I doubt many people know his name, but his photo shop was huge and influential, so I feel like he belongs in this thread.
Moderating

I would request that posters name the person they are talking about, and why they are known, rather than requiring them to click on a link to figure out who you are talking about.

Colibri
Old 04-15-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I figured Randall would do a real one. But that leaves open the question of whether it is original. The glider thing from such a small configuration while maintaining a human shape isn't trivial.
Donno about that--I've never seen it before.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Moderating

I would request that posters name the person they are talking about, and why they are known, rather than requiring them to click on a link to figure out who you are talking about.

Colibri
Sorry, it's in the link's name if you hover over it, no need to click. It's the founder of Adorama Cameras.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Who?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:16 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
This.

If wikipedia page views in the days after someone's death are a measure of their fame, Prine is more famous than Conway (but not by as much as I would have expected)
Old 04-15-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry, it's in the link's name if you hover over it, no need to click.
Just to note that this doesn't occur for all. (Could be the browser or the forum-style, but to see what a link says I have to paste to a word-processor--hover doesn't work, here, for me.)