Old 04-12-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I think we should quit feeding Suntan Lotion. He should distance himself back under that bridge,
I am a she. I am not trolling. All my other posts, in other forums are not a problem to anyone. Obviously I shouldn't have mentioned this.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I am a she. I am not trolling. All my other posts, in other forums are not a problem to anyone. Obviously I shouldn't have mentioned this.
You may not be trolling, but you, your pastor, and your pastor's family are being very foolish. I hope you all go home and stay home without stepping so much as a toe out of doors for the next two weeks to protect the rest of the world from your poor judgement.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Still wondering what I lied about. Makes note. That poster bobot. Pray for him.
This shtick is getting old. I know that "persecution" is a Christian tradition that goes way back, but in these times of political pandering to Christian fringe groups it is getting harder and harder to for assholes like you to make that claim, therefore you deliberately antagonize others to try to goad them into responding in kind. Why don't you take your religious masochism and fuck off?
Old 04-12-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
The reason people assume trolling is specifically because you've not acted this stupid in other threads. It makes more sense to people that you would not actually be this foolish and naive. You don't strike any of us as the anti-science, but here you are putting some religious group above factual information.

I already pointed out the religious logic. The Bible does not mandate that you meet. It does mandate that anything you do the least of these you also do to Jesus. Anyone who gets stick because of your actions, you have made Jesus sick.

It's actually not a bad thing that you said something. Now you can get a more honest opinion and not just be surrounded by the yay-sayers of your church. You can get an outside perspective to the stupidity and ungodliness of what they are doing.

So, well, stop it. You have technology. Pull up a phone, and have him preach and sing from there. Because God really is no respecter of persons--there have been massive breakouts at many Christian gatherings. You aren't special.

Even if you don't get sick, you can hurt others. And the God I know will judge you for that, based on what His Word says. You must love your neighbor as yourself.

Do not put the Lord your God to the test.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:43 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

The Bible also mandates that you do not prevaricate, SL. Your response to who was meeting in the house was not really honest.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
The Bible also mandates that you do not prevaricate, SL. Your response to who was meeting in the house was not really honest.
She made sure to point out that the body count went right up to the line at nine...then hinted that it might be more. She wants to fuck with us.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:49 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Saying you're not trolling doesn't make it so. One more for the Ignore.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
What's the magic number of deaths that you consider acceptable? Say the babies get sick or die because you tromped in shredding virus? What if, in addition to the people who live there, 5 other people want to attend services? At that point do you bow out and let those people attend? Or pile in regardless because God's got your back?

How many people are you comfortable exposing to actual death before you think "maybe I should sit my ass down and stay there"?
Old 04-13-2020, 12:26 AM

You know, I had a thought. Your user name is suntan lotion. Is that another things you refuse to do, because God will protect you from sunburns or skin cancer?

If that's the case, at least you're only putting yourself at risk.

Last edited by raventhief; 04-13-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
She made sure to point out that the body count went right up to the line at nine...then hinted that it might be more. She wants to fuck with us.

Of course she did. And, no doubt, she consoles herself with the reaction she gets by pretending that what she is suffering at our hands is a fulfillment of the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:11:

Quote:
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

But like all those other flagellants who appear here like a Biblical plague, she ignores the words I bolded there. She's doing that for her own sake, and we are not reviling her falsely. Rather, it is her own dishonesty we are pointing out.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:53 AM

I have taken into account what you guys are saying. And my phone did give me extra data this month.. But then I thought if the pastor and wife aren't afraid, I might feel like it showed lack of faith. She did mention Psalm 91. So, now I am trying to decide for next week what to do. A woman in my building invited me to visit her and I refused cause she said she has health problems, though I see her going out in her van almost daily. I can't be stuck inside, I need to be in nature, I live off a main street so walking around the apartment complex doesn't involve interacting with anyone.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:57 AM

Dollars to donuts going into an occupied house involves interacting with someone.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have taken into account what you guys are saying. And my phone did give me extra data this month.. But then I thought if the pastor and wife aren't afraid, I might feel like it showed lack of faith.
Doing something stupid to prove your "faith" only demonstrates your gullibility and lack of intelligence. Pastors and pastors wives are human beings and they can make mistakes. When you sin it is on YOU. When you appear before your god for judgement and he says you screwed up and hurt someone else what will you say? I did this thing because I was following the pastor and his wife and feared they would think less of me for not doing it? What is the value of any human's opinion of you when weighed against a human LIFE?

Too many Christians justify wrong actions by saying they were demonstrating "faith". Don't be one of them.

Quote:
She did mention Psalm 91.
Selective Bible quoting. I could write a great deal on that, but I won't. I'll just point out that nothing in that psalm indicates that you should stop taking precautions against a known threat or refraining from doing something stupid. I will also refer you to Matthew 5:5-7

Quote:
So, now I am trying to decide for next week what to do.
I have a suggestion:

1) Stay home
2) Wash your hands frequently
3) Avoid idiots, especially in person

The vast majority of religious faiths are managing to continue their devotion to and celebration of their god without needing to gather in groups, even such technology averse groups like the Orthodox Jews and Amish. God can hear you just as well in your living room as in a church or a pastor's house, and you couldn't hide what's in your heart from God even if you tried. The pastor is the one who requires your physical presence, and, to be frank, he's just a man In the end, do you answer to a man or to God?

Quote:
A woman in my building invited me to visit her and I refused cause she said she has health problems, though I see her going out in her van almost daily.
You most likely have no idea why she's going somewhere in her van and in any case it's none of your business. You are responsible for you, not for her.

Quote:
I can't be stuck inside, I need to be in nature, I live off a main street so walking around the apartment complex doesn't involve interacting with anyone.
Going for a walk without interacting with others is fine. Going to a church gathering with not-your-household people is not fine right now. If you're infected and don't know it you could make them sick and there's a possibly someone might die from your actions. If one of them is infected and doesn't know it that person could make YOU sick, and you might even die of it.

Stick to virtual church gatherings and talking to God one-on-one until this pandemic thing gets better.

Last edited by Broomstick; 04-13-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
I feel the need to say, as a Jew who keeps covenant with the G-d of Abraham and feels His presence in my daily life, Suntan Lotion does NOT represent most theists.
Well, speaking for the atheists, we certainly don't want her.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

Sadly, it's not like this draft.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
So when we all turn out healthy, you will concede God did that?
Do you understand how that particular remark sounds either troll-y or Pharisee-level smug? If you and your congregation will be protected by God, then the implication is that the people who've caught covid-19 at other religious services didn't believe sincerely or intensely enough to merit that protection.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:43 AM

I didn't intend to sound like that. This is a fallen world and shut happens to good and bad.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

What did the world fall on? And what did it fall off of?

And why wasn't there a railing in the first place?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 04-13-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Well, maybe, maybe not. Might depend on whether the cat is dead.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
This is a fallen world and shut happens to good and bad.
So you're a Buddhist?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't intend to sound like that. This is a fallen world and shut happens to good and bad.
Just because you're walking through a barnyard doesn't mean you can't alter your path to avoid stepping in the biggest, smelliest piles of dung. It's the difference between getting shit ON your shoes versus getting shit IN your shoes. Both outcomes involve shit, this is true, but one is very much preferable to the other.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
What did the world fall on? And what did it fall off of?

And why wasn't there a railing in the first place?
It was designed by the same people that designed everything in Star Wars.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:29 PM

Virginia pastor who defiantly held church service dies of coronavirus
Quote:
An evangelical pastor died of COVID-19 just weeks after proudly showing off how packed his Virginia church was — and vowing to keep preaching “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

In his last known in-person service on March 22, Bishop Gerald O. Glenn got his congregation at Richmond’s New Deliverance Evangelistic Church to stand to prove how many were there despite warnings against gatherings of more than 10 people.

“I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus. You can quote me on that,” he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that “people are healed” in his church.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:08 PM

God is larger than the virus. So is the piece of dirt stuck on the inside of my toe nail.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I prefer the way that this congregation reacted. Their Easter service was planned to be a virtual one. As a surprise for the pastor, congregants collected photos and placed facial cutouts of church members throughout the pews, so that he could see his people during the service.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:39 PM

Next article I expect: “Virginia pastor wonders why Heaven is so hot and smells like sulphur.”
Old 04-14-2020, 12:26 PM

A guy in India learns that cloth is mightier than God.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:42 PM
Elephant Whisperer

And the average intelligence of the human race just went up. Good fucking riddance.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:59 PM

God, greeting folks at the Pearly Gates:

"What the fuck were you thinking?"

-God
Old 04-14-2020, 05:34 PM

Yeah, the OT sure went through a lot of trouble telling people to socially isolate from people with leprosy. If ol' Yahweh was around, he would want people to have some common sense.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:01 PM

After doing some thinking, I realized I have enough toilet paper, food, etc for a bit, maybe I should watch it vitally this Sunday. I don't go out much but they all work. I wouldn't mind dying, cause my sons up their, but I'd rather do it peacefully than suffer. I know she'd probably say I wasn't having faith, but. Maybe you guys have saved my life, of course there's no way of knowing that. I apologize for acting holier than thou. Never thought I would do that. I do wish I had some magazines. Vitally should say. virtually
Old 04-14-2020, 09:21 PM

What a load. You have done no thinking whatsoever. And which was it? Did you never think you would act holier than thou (which is pretty much what your whole m.o. has been here, so that's obviously no accident) or that you never thought you would apologize?

Perhaps you should get an onlie subscription to some magazines. You can start with reputable scientific ones.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:32 PM

You're saying I posted a false apology? Why would I? Or that I did it without thinking. Apologizing for acting too holy, and show me evidence thats my m.o. sorry you're so upset.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:11 PM

It takes a lot to admit to being wrong. Thanks for reconsidering, SuntanLotion.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:44 PM

I got carried away. This is a scary thing we're all going through, and being stuck inside was messing with me.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
My pastors wife says we are to obey the government, we were renting a place, but now we have church at their house. Mostly pastor, his wife, their three children, their daughters two babies and daughters baby daddy. So when I go, there's s5I'll less than ten.

At a minimum there are eleven heads in this herd flock counting you.

Quote:
You're saying I posted a false apology? Why would I? Or that I did it without thinking. Apologizing for acting too holy, and show me evidence thats my m.o. sorry you're so upset.

Oh, yes. I'm saying that you are continuing to flagellate here. Why? For your own sake, not Christ's. I'm not upset. I'm observant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
It takes a lot to admit to being wrong. Thanks for reconsidering, SuntanLotion.

I'm not buying it from her.

Quote:
I got carried away. This is a scary thing we're all going through, and being stuck inside was messing with me.

Why should you have been scared of that inside? Weren't you in the house with the pastor, his wife, and another eight folks (minimum)? You should've been protected, right?
Old 04-15-2020, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

I'd be inclined to back off Suntan Lotion at this point.

I read her post as cabin fever messing with her, which is entirely understandable. Isolation, disruption of normal routines, uncertainty about the future, and fear of a new disease can do that to a person. It's understandable that she would seek the comfort of her church under such circumstances, and not realize that by gathering in a group to do that she's essentially playing into the hands of this virus.

If she's considering virtually attending church we should be encouraging that, not attempting to analyze whether her apology might or might not be sincere. It's not about me or you, it's about all of us. I want to encourage Suntan Lotion to do what's good for ALL of us.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My pastors wife says we are to obey the government, we were renting a place, but now we have church at their house. Mostly pastor, his wife, their three children, their daughters two babies and daughters baby daddy. So when I go, there's s5I'll less than ten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
At a minimum there are eleven heads in this herd flock counting you.
Could you go over the math with me? I'm counting:

1. Pastor
2. Mrs. Pastor
3. Mr. & Mrs Pastor's child A (for the sake of simplicity, let's designate this child as "Adult daughter with two babies of her own")
4. Mr. & Mrs Pastor's child B
5. Mr. & Mrs Pastor's child C
6. Mr. & Mrs Pastor's Grandbaby 1
7. Mr. & Mrs Pastor's Grandbaby 2
8. Mr. & Mrs Pastor's Grandbaby 1&2 baby daddy
9. SuntanLotion

I just can't make that come out to eleven, so TIA.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 04-15-2020 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:50 AM

Ah. I missed the bad spelling and lack of punctuation in her posting and thus I counted "their daughters" as two and "two babies" as another two.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:54 AM

@ Broomstick: Agreed. Let's hope. And let's hope for all of us!
Old 04-15-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
After doing some thinking, I realized I have enough toilet paper, food, etc for a bit, maybe I should watch it vitally this Sunday. I don't go out much but they all work. I wouldn't mind dying, cause my sons up their, but I'd rather do it peacefully than suffer. I know she'd probably say I wasn't having faith, but. Maybe you guys have saved my life, of course there's no way of knowing that. I apologize for acting holier than thou. Never thought I would do that. I do wish I had some magazines. Vitally should say. virtually
Don’t go just to prove to another human that you have faith. Be wary of anyone that expects that from you. I’d watch my back around a 30 member church that seems, by your description, to be largely dominated by a single family. Sometimes people that form that kind of church do it because they are delusional. YMMV. Just be careful.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Ann Hedonia. There's a roughly thirty person church, maybe forty, here in my city, Topeka, that's dominated by one family. It pretty much is the family. They're the ones who carry picket signs and hate on people. At least their founder is dead.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
... That poster bobot. Pray for him.
Hey, if any of you guys are praying for me, could you do it a little more, I don't know, earnestly? Because nothing's happening on my end.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:02 PM

Do earnest prayers start with "Hey, Vern!"?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:11 PM

In other news, one guy on my Facebook who I used to respect as a church teacher is putting out the meme about how restricting people who aren't sick is tyranny.

I pointed out he called the god of the Bible a tyrant, because the Bible restricted non-sick people all the time. You may agree with that reasoning, but I don't think he did.

(I also pointed out all the quarantine laws in the OT, and how they affected well people as much as sick people.)
Old 04-15-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Hey, if any of you guys are praying for me, could you do it a little more, I don't know, earnestly? Because nothing's happening on my end.
That was. A take off on your comment about me.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:29 PM

Hold on. You did or did not want people to pray for me? Why does it all have to be so unclear?

Darren Garrison, please address your prayers for me to Vern. The results couldn't possibly be less effective than the ones from prayers to, um, others.

Last edited by bobot; 04-15-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:36 PM

The tale of a crackpot and a cracker.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Get the fuck out of here.

Suntan Lotion.
Makes note.That poster Suntan Lotion.

Makes additional note to remember.
Notes that this has been a whiskey night, and remembering might be a thing...
This is what
Old 04-16-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Hold on. You did or did not want people to pray for me? Why does it all have to be so unclear?

Darren Garrison, please address your prayers for me to Vern. The results couldn't possibly be less effective than the ones from prayers to, um, others.
Awww, fucks sake. I prayed for you yesterday, and now it turns out it was unnecessary? Dammit, prayers don't grow on trees, you know. Go to hell, the lot of ya.