Old 04-16-2020, 06:27 PM

And now Tony Spell's lawyer has got the 'rona.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

You know, it occurs to me that during the Tenth Plague of Egypt it wasn't enough to just be faithful or observe rituals or whatever, the Israelites had to do something additional to protect themselves. (Mark their doorways with lamb's blood, specifically).

Well, maybe in THIS plague God doesn't want the faithful to just be faithful. Maybe he wants us to wear gloves and masks and attend religious services on Zoom for whatever mysterious reason God has.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Quote:
Spell, who has faced criticism over his stand, has made several provocative comments about the virus and the resulting controversy, including telling TMZ that true Christians do not mind dying from the virus but from "fear living in fear, cowardice of their convictions."
n/m. mixed up assholes

Last edited by running coach; 04-16-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:35 AM

And one from Tony Spell's flock of morons has died from Covid-19, though Tony insists that he died "from a broken heart."
Old 04-17-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
In other news, one guy on my Facebook who I used to respect as a church teacher is putting out the meme about how restricting people who aren't sick is tyranny.

I pointed out he called the god of the Bible a tyrant, because the Bible restricted non-sick people all the time. You may agree with that reasoning, but I don't think he did.

(I also pointed out all the quarantine laws in the OT, and how they affected well people as much as sick people.)
Rather than have any reply, he unfriended me. We've known each other for years. His son was one of my best friends in high school.

So God and friends--none matter to him anymore. The former men's devotional leader until he had to move away is just gone.

I mourn the loss. But it's a loss of something that was apparently never there.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I wonder if some of these religionist leaders are afraid that without constant weekly(or more) hardcore personal reinforcement their flock may find other things are more important in their lives.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:04 AM

Or find better ways to spend their money.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I wonder if some of these religionist leaders are afraid that without constant weekly(or more) hardcore personal reinforcement their flock may find other things are more important in their lives.
Oh, definitely.

If the flock isn't kept constantly mesmerized they might wake up and smell the bullshit. And if keeping them together means some catch covid ... well, lose of the sense of smell is one of the effects, right?

There's also the collection plate income. Lot easier to exert peer pressure on people to give if they're there in person.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:43 AM

I can't say they aren't so afraid, but that worry sounds silly to me. Because those online services are one of the few times that people can easily virtually get together around a common event. People crave that more than ever. They're also more scared than ever, and thus more likely to want to turn to religion--uncertainty breeds wanting to go to places where they say that you can have faith without facts that things will be okay.

I mean, my mom basically marathons preaching and singing these days, and is actually attending virtual services when she wouldn't have gone to the real ones back when she was able. She meets up with people and gets a reassuring message.

No, I think the issue is more that they don't want to accept that this happened, because admitting that God allowed a plague on us and that we are all suceptible runs in the face of their prosperity-style gospel that bad things don't happen to God's people. With something this massive, the old "they didn't have enough faith" bullshit doesn't work as well.

They preach that they can shape the world through their resolute actions (aka denial), and so they are actually practicing what they preach--to everyone's detriment.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:10 AM

Tony Spell headed back to jail.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:08 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
It's God's will!
Old 04-22-2020, 09:02 AM

How come no mention yet of the super-spreader event in India by Tablighi Jamaat people? A bunch of Muslim worshippers and missionaries - ignoring common sense and repeated requests from authorities - gathered for worship in their thousands, and after that helpfully traveled all over India, creating a wave of coronavirus hotspots wherever they went.

Quote:
In a 28-minute audio clip of a sermon posted on March 19 on Markaz's YouTube channel, Jamaat chief Maulana Saad called coronavirus an "azaab" (God's punishment) and asked his followers to run to the mosques. He also called the assertion that people gathering in the mosque will lead to more infections as "baatil khayal" (falsehood). He was also heard saying, "This is not the time when you leave your prayers or meeting people just because doctors are saying. When Allah has given this disease, then no doctor or medicine can save us."
He changed his mind shortly thereafter, helped no doubt by the baton-wielding Delhi police, and quarantined himself for 14 days. Meanwhile his followers spat on, beat up, and reportedly exposed themselves to the doctors and nurses trying to test them in Delhi hospitals.

Quote:
The reports said that those sitting inside the buses spat out in what are presumed to be serious attempts to spread the virus as much as possible.
Meanwhile other Muslim prayer leaders had their own words of wisdom to offer the masses. One said not to use hand sanitizers because they contained alcohol which is haram (prohibited) in Islam, and instead wipe their hands with their spit because spit contains "Allah's angels who will finish off the corona." I kid you not
Old 04-22-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
wipe their hands with their spit because spit contains "Allah's angels who will finish off the corona." I kid you not
So this is the Islamic version of the woman expounding on being covered in the blood of Jesus, and hence safe from the virus.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
You know, it occurs to me that during the Tenth Plague of Egypt it wasn't enough to just be faithful or observe rituals or whatever, the Israelites had to do something additional to protect themselves. (Mark their doorways with lamb's blood, specifically).

Well, maybe in THIS plague God doesn't want the faithful to just be faithful. Maybe he wants us to wear gloves and masks and attend religious services on Zoom for whatever mysterious reason God has.
Or maybe he's punishing you for killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis for no reason. Probably not, as god is just a storybook character, but I wonder if that has occurred to anyone who claims the universe was created by an all-powerful being who takes an interest in politics and hates to see people going without hats.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How come no mention yet of the super-spreader event in India by Tablighi Jamaat people? A bunch of Muslim worshippers and missionaries - ignoring common sense and repeated requests from authorities - gathered for worship in their thousands, and after that helpfully traveled all over India, creating a wave of coronavirus hotspots wherever they went.

He changed his mind shortly thereafter, helped no doubt by the baton-wielding Delhi police, and quarantined himself for 14 days. Meanwhile his followers spat on, beat up, and reportedly exposed themselves to the doctors and nurses trying to test them in Delhi hospitals.

Meanwhile other Muslim prayer leaders had their own words of wisdom to offer the masses. One said not to use hand sanitizers because they contained alcohol which is haram (prohibited) in Islam, and instead wipe their hands with their spit because spit contains "Allah's angels who will finish off the corona." I kid you not
If there was a god of Science, she'd be rubbing her hands and saying "Hah, hah, bring me more morons."
And thanks for helping to disprove American exceptionalism in the area of stupidity.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:56 AM

I detect a slight whiff of Indian Islamophobia here, so just to note that religious/nationalist nutjobs on the subcontinent are not limited to just one particular religion and offering just plain bad information is not limited to just one world leader.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:53 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

SuntanLotion is spreading her horseshit in the Quarantine Zone, which is kind of ironic, I guess.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:45 PM

Just in case you were wondering what manure STL is spreading over in the QZ, here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I've never paid any other way but cash. Not sure I could get my government phone to do so. Soon enough we'll have a cashless society as predicted in Revelation.
Quote:
Did I read right, or is it a parody? Bill Gates has a patent 666 for cryptocurrency? Are they that obvious, I always thought it would be sneaky or stealth, not right out there. I will never get that.
Quote:
Revelation 13.17 on facebook there was this post I couldn't copy which said Gates got a patent for his currency and the patent number was 060606. Maybe someone can find that, thought it was odd
Quote:
Hug. Weird that the patent is pretty much 2020666. Facebook people are very excitable
That's some MLS (Major League Stupid) right there.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:11 PM

It Doesn't say that in revelation? No one will ever have a cashless society? That's Not the patent number? Smh
Old 04-23-2020, 08:20 PM

No, that's not what Revelation says, and 666 is definitely not the patent number. And, FTR, before cash was invented society was cashless.

You're shaking your head? Yeah, right.

Last edited by Monty; 04-23-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
:
And there were no Hindu religious zealots who also spread the disease?

Or were they just not vilified in the Hindu nationalist press? Everybody loves a scapegoat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...911_story.html
Old 04-23-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
It Doesn't say that in revelation? No one will ever have a cashless society? That's Not the patent number? Smh
Last time I checked, the Revelation of John said (roughly cuz I'm not looking it up right now.) 'And every one had to take the Mark Of The Beast on their head or hand if they wished to buy or sell'

It doesn't say a thing about 'and they shall buy and sell without coin or barter'. The condition could be met in a society that still used cash. Even some conservative Christians agree with me on that. Such is the case in the film Judgement (With Corbin Bernsen and Mr T) you buy with paper currency in that film's society. But without a 'loyalty mark' nobody will do business with you.

Personally, (and I'm open for debate on this one) I don't think we'll ever move to a strictly digital cashless society. A world without cash would be a return to barter.

I'm more confident in stating that Gates has not patented a vaccine. So no, that's not the number.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Revelation 13:16-17 King James Version (KJV)

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Yep, not a thing about HOW buying or selling is accomplished. Not a thing about a cashless society.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
Last time I checked, the Revelation of John said (roughly cuz I'm not looking it up right now.) 'And every one had to take the Mark Of The Beast on their head or hand if they wished to buy or sell'

It doesn't say a thing about 'and they shall buy and sell without coin or barter'. The condition could be met in a society that still used cash.
Especially since it's a reference to having Torah tied to your hands in forehead, per Deuteronomy 6:6-8. The idea is that such indicates devotion to the ideology of the Beast. In other words, only the followers of the Beast will be able to buy and sell anything.

This is apocalyptic literature. Nothing is literal. It's all references to the Old Testament and what existed of the New Testament (mostly images of Jesus as the Son of God, the Lamb, etc.)

He was picturing something not all that uncommon, where those who were on the outs with the official religion couldn't buy and sell. Not predicting some future tech that would let you sell things. Remember--this had to be something John thought would happen soon.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, and I don't mean this snarkily: have you personally ever read the Bible?
Old 04-23-2020, 09:51 PM

Yes. You realize the technology is there, store scanners? Oh, sorry about the patent number, I had it upside down, those were 9s and 5s. Off to sleep
Old 04-23-2020, 09:53 PM

The technology to tattoo a mark on people and say that only those with the mark can do business has been around since before recorded history. Again, John the Revelator doesn't say a thing about a cashless society.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Yes. You realize the technology is there, store scanners? Oh, sorry about the patent number, I had it upside down, those were 9s and 5s. Off to sleep

Good Lord, you're dishonest, just like every single other whacked out fundie loon that disgraces this site, not to mention the planet.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Good Lord, you're dishonest
No, just profoundly stupid, I think.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:15 AM

I am not ruling out both. And, IIRC, she's female.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I am not ruling out both. And, IIRC, she's female.
Dishonest, stupid, and female, the trifecta of bad?
Old 04-24-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Dishonest, stupid, and female, the trifecta of bad?

I mentioned female because you used the pronoun he referring to that particular poster. The actual trifecta is stupid, dishonest, and ignorant.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:01 AM

Sorry about that, Darren Garrison. My apologies. I mixed you up with someone else. That post should read:

Quote:
I mentioned female because someone used the pronoun he referring to that particular poster. The actual trifecta is stupid, dishonest, and ignorant.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:10 AM

Ah. That had seemed like a gay mountain climber moment.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
I detect a slight whiff of Indian Islamophobia here, so just to note that religious/nationalist nutjobs on the subcontinent are not limited to just one particular religion and offering just plain bad information is not limited to just one world leader.
Thanks for confirming that anything that shows Muslims in a bad light is automatically Islamophobia. I posted links to the facts. I did not make unfounded accusations. Thousands of Muslims really did conduct themselves in a way that gave rise to multiple coronavirus hotspots all over the country - 30% of all known cases in India arise from this singular event. I don't care if people do batty things in private as long as they are not spreading an extremely contagious disease around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispolkom View Post
And there were no Hindu religious zealots who also spread the disease?
As in, a Hindu religious leader openly exhorting his followers to flout the lockdown, clash with police, and indulge in mass gatherings? None.
Also, what is your point here? Any criticism of Muslims automatically sounds like Islamophobia, and you need to point fingers at others communities in retaliation?

Quote:
Or were they just not vilified in the Hindu nationalist press? Everybody loves a scapegoat.
India's English press is extremely Left-leaning and pro-Muslim and there is nothing "Hindu nationalist" about them. I wish there was, but there isn't.

Quote:
The government of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has pursued an agenda of Hindu primacy, moving India away from its secular founding ideals and raising fears that Muslims will be treated as second-class citizens.
There, that is enough for me to call bullshit on this WaPo article.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:30 AM

What happens when you do that?
Old 04-24-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
You live right outside Waco?
Old 04-24-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that anything that shows Muslims in a bad light is automatically Islamophobia. I posted links to the facts. I did not make unfounded accusations. Thousands of Muslims really did conduct themselves in a way that gave rise to multiple coronavirus hotspots all over the country - 30% of all known cases in India arise from this singular event. I don't care if people do batty things in private as long as they are not spreading an extremely contagious disease around.
You didn't just post facts. You constantly repeated the word Muslim over and over in your post as if the particular religion was relevant. Every time you mentioned them doing something bad, you had to mention that they were Muslim. It didn't necessarily indicate bigotry, but there was a whiff of it--i.e. the possibility. Hence he was being proactive in making sure that there was no bigotry. You were not being accused.

However, frankly, your rebuttal post may have changed that. You actually wished that a newspaper were more bigoted against non-Hindus--i.e. more Hindu nationalist. And you appear to be very unaware of your current leader's blatant hatred for Muslims, culminating in actually coming up with a law that removes citizenship from all Indians and then restores it only to non-Muslims. That is, unless you can rebut the claims made in this video.

So you went from "maybe, possibly bigoted, but worth the benefit of a doubt" to "yeah, he seems to think Muslims are inferior to Hindus."
Old 04-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I've always thought that was pretty tough for the sheep.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
You live right outside Waco?
I wish I lived in Texas(dislike winter)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
You didn't just post facts. You constantly repeated the word Muslim over and over in your post as if the particular religion was relevant. Every time you mentioned them doing something bad, you had to mention that they were Muslim. It didn't necessarily indicate bigotry, but there was a whiff of it--i.e. the possibility. Hence he was being proactive in making sure that there was no bigotry. You were not being accused.

However, frankly, your rebuttal post may have changed that. You actually wished that a newspaper were more bigoted against non-Hindus--i.e. more Hindu nationalist. And you appear to be very unaware of your current leader's blatant hatred for Muslims, culminating in actually coming up with a law that removes citizenship from all Indians and then restores it only to non-Muslims. That is, unless you can rebut the claims made in this video.

So you went from "maybe, possibly bigoted, but worth the benefit of a doubt" to "yeah, he seems to think Muslims are inferior to Hindus."
So it's not okay to knock Muslim's(and I agree you shouldn't )but okay to knock Christians(fundies)huh.double standard noted
Old 04-24-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
So it's not okay to knock Muslim's(and I agree you shouldn't )but okay to knock Christians(fundies)huh.double standard noted
Speaking for myself, I'm fine with knocking any person behaving like an idiot and endangering the lives of others.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
Speaking for myself, I'm fine with knocking any person behaving like an idiot and endangering the lives of others.
I rip on all religions as equally as possible. However, since I am in xtianville, they get most of my ridicule.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:30 PM

Fair enough
Old 04-25-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:

You're not getting knocked for your religion. You're getting knocked for your abject stupidity and dishonesty.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
You didn't just post facts. You constantly repeated the word Muslim over and over in your post as if the particular religion was relevant.....
Muslims / Fundamental Islam is responsible for keeping Polio alive as well.

Quote (Bolding mine) : As of 2009, polio remains endemic to 4 countries (India, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Afghanistan); in 2008, cases were also detected in 14 other countries.

Religious opposition by Muslim fundamentalists is a major factor in the failure of immunization programs against polio in Nigeria (2), Pakistan (3) and Afghanistan (4).

Taken from : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2727330/

The author also mentions Muslims several times in the publication. Its a scientific publication of facts but I guess you will call it Islamophobia.

Quote:
....he seems to think Muslims are inferior to Hindus."
I think your opinion comes from the Islamic belief that all Infidels/Kaffirs aka non-Muslims are inferior to Muslims and are destined to hell. Hinduism believes (at least by most) that your action (karma) counts more than your beliefs.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

So...Hinduism is the "I'm rubber, you're glue" of world religions?

Huh.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
So...Hinduism is the "I'm rubber, you're glue" of world religions?

Huh.
No one said that. Hinduism is filled with many shortcomings like casteism, religious zealots, male chauvinism, female infanticide etc. It is okay to criticize Hindus for the shortcomings and it should be okay the other way too. Its something Hindus need to work on just like Muslims need to work on somethings too.

BTW : India is the only place in the world where there was no anti-semitism and Jews have lived peacefully since 587 BCE in Cochin.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by am77494 View Post
No one said that. Hinduism is filled with many shortcomings like casteism, religious zealots, male chauvinism, female infanticide etc. It is okay to criticize Hindus for the shortcomings and it should be okay the other way too. Its something Hindus need to work on just like Muslims need to work on somethings too.

BTW : India is the only place in the world where there was no anti-semitism and Jews have lived peacefully since 587 BCE in Cochin.
Kind of busy fucking over another large portion of the population right now, aren't they?
Old 04-25-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Kind of busy fucking over another large portion of the population right now, aren't they?
Kinda like you stopped beating your wife - right ?