Old 05-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I realize it's sort of contrary to the thread topic, but I do feel we need some positives in this mess and I have an example of how to do this sort of thing correctly

The Jewish congregations in Northwest Indiana, all six of them, are having their respective rabbis provide inspirational messages tonight (just before official sabbath start), all six, ranging from Ultra-Orthodox to Reform. Meanwhile, the Jewish Federation has distributed "Shabbot in a Box" (actually, it's a small bag) to all people requesting it, which has shabbot candles, home-made challah, and grape juice . In other words, we're coming together despite being apart, using technology in a manner compatible with a very, very old tradition, and after that will have what sabbath formal/official observations we will have this week at home.

And I'm throwing "we" in there because, despite not asking for it, when I came home tonight I, too, had a "Shabbot in a Box" waiting for me and a very nice note thanking me for my service to the community (both Jewish and gentile) and an invitation to join them. Which I will be doing shortly after posting this message.

So, I wish you all reading this well, and may your god(s) go with you.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:29 PM

On a more directly topical note, today Trump demanded all houses of worship be reopened, ensuring that this thread has a longer life and many religious people have a shorter one.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Funny - during tonight's zoom meeting the Chabad rabbi pointed out that for the most part Jews are NOT agitating to reopen the synagogues because that is not the only place in which to practice religion. Sure, meeting together in person is important, but it is not the only important thing.

I think most other religious types feel the same. It's a minority that is pushing to re-open and engage in mass gatherings during an on-going pandemic. It is said that there are religious "leaders" pushing their followers to that end because it will not end well for many.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
On a more directly topical note, today Trump demanded all houses of worship be reopened, ensuring that this thread has a longer life and many religious people have a shorter one.
The strange thing about Trump's idiocy is that he is going to disproportionately kill off his own supporters.

The Trumper idiots who won't wear masks, and who bunch up in great numbers in the Trump churches, and who take chemicals that will kill them on the advice of the Great Trump.

These are the folks who will die. Trump is literally killing his own voters.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:22 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
The strange thing about Trump's idiocy is that he is going to disproportionately kill off his own supporters.

The Trumper idiots who won't wear masks, and who bunch up in great numbers in the Trump churches, and who take chemicals that will kill them on the advice of the Great Trump.

These are the folks who will die. Trump is literally killing his own voters.
Sort of like a cancer killing its host.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:57 PM

My congregation is doing services by watching the rabbi on YouTube. Works for me.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:10 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

What do you mean "sort of"?
Old 05-24-2020, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

The Lutheran church down the road has this on its message board out front:

Building is closed
CHURCH is open
(followed by its Website address)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:32 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

^ I like it, Bookkeeper. I like it.

Last edited by Monty; 05-24-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

The Episcopalian church down the street has a traffic cone in the middle of the entrance to the parking lot with a sign on a stick, We're meeting online! and the URL.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:41 AM

Biological and cognitive underpinnings of religious fundamentalism

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5500821/

ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC) lesions and dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (dlPFC) lesions