Old 03-31-2020, 06:08 PM

My car as been ensconced in my garage for many days now, which I only do if I anticipate a snowstorm or some other reason for not going out for at least several days. But I did have to go out today, and both street traffic and store traffic (in the drugstore and two grocery stores I visited) seemed lighter than normal but still substantial. The only real difference from normality was plastic shields installed between the cashier and the customer, and the social-distancing markers on the floor that most people seemed to be obeying. Also lots of people with masks (which I don't believe should be used by the general public, and don't have any anyway) and wearing latex gloves, which I do have and for the first time, I actually wore.

One of my missions today besides keeping up a nominal grocery stockpile was picking up a parcel at a local post office. It is currently sitting untouched and will remain so for at least 72 hours, as I would like any possible COVID-19 attachments to either the box or the contents to be inert by the time I open it.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Canada is at 8579 cases. So yeah, a bad day for Canada no flattening of the curve yet as we hit a new high for new cases.

Alberta had 64 new cases which isn't bad. I thought it might be higher coming out of the weekend. Alberta has had trouble keeping up with testing, so there may be higher numbers coming in the next days as they get the chemicals they need.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

But the numbers we see now reflect what we did two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, on Tuesday the 16th of March, I was still going to work, four co-workers crammed into a car, and half-expecting overtime on the weekend. We were still gathering in semi-widely-spaced groups on the production floor, when we were away from our stations at the machines. They were still just wiping things down between shifts.

Eight days before, on the 9th, Canada had recorded its first death from the disease. And on the 11th, the World Health Organization declared the disease to be a pandemic.

On Monday the 16th, the federal government banned all non-essential travellers from entering Canada, except for US citizens and residents.

Things at work would change on Wednesday the 18th, with greater cleaning and a requirement for us to wipe down our stations at the beginning and end of each shift. And they staggered lunchtime even more, so that only the crew on one assembly line was in the lunch room at any given time.

And the planned overtime was cancelled. We started to hear about customer plants shutting down.

On Wednesday the 18th, the Canada-US border closed to all non-essential travellers. Citizens and residents of both countries can of course cross to come home. Foreigners with symptoms were banned from visiting.

On Thursday they announced the coming layoffs. It was a regular payday.

Then on Friday the 20th we got laid off. The federal government advised against non-essential travel overseas.

Then the next week -- the week before last! -- came the rolling waves of change.

The PM called for Canadians to come hone.

I start to hear of rescue flights to retrieve Canadians stranded overseas. I start to hear of checkpoints between provinces.

Wednesday the 25th, the federal government announces the first version of its support program. $82 billion, 3.5% of GDP.

Thursday: The support program is expanded to include a 10% wage subsidy to small and medium businesses. $107 billion.

Friday. A 75% wage subsidy. Support for even more sorts of things.

By Sunday, a million Canadians have applied for EI (unemployment benefits). A million Canadians have come home.

Monday the 23rd: Ontario declares a state of emergency and closes all non-essential businesses.

Ridership on the trains and buses in Toronto has dropped by 70%. Intercity trains and domestic flights are instructed to bar anyone with symptoms.

So we've really only been locked down for maybe a week.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Nice post, Sunspace, trying to be patient.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:51 PM

Canada is 6 days behind the US in deaths per million. It doesn't seem like much but is is if the curves break at the same.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:40 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike2 View Post
Canada is at 8579 cases. So yeah, a bad day for Canada no flattening of the curve yet as we hit a new high for new cases.
I just noted that one of the reasons Quebec's numbers shot up in the last week is they changed how they counted. Prior to March 24, they only counted cases where a test verified infection; now they count cases where it's just very likely, whether a test proves it or not.

This is really neither good nor bad news; while it may mean growth was not exponential, it just means the problem was maybe worse than we realized.

It is however illustrative of how little we know, and how much is guesswork. When you read how many cases and it's some precise number, like 8,548, that is absolutely not a clear number at all; it may be wildly wrong, and the province-by-province numbers might be of varying levels of dependability or might not even be counting the same thing. When you read that 100 people have died in Canada of COVID-19 that is probably an exaggeration of the actual increased mortality, but no one actually knows. We have no idea whatsoever - absolutely none, not even anything an epidemiologist would use to hazard a guess - how many people in Canada carry the virus but are non- or mildly symptomatic or have already shrugged the virus off. The situation in hospitals in two weeks might be an absolute war zone, or it might be quite manageable.

I hate to say this but one of the reasons governments are telling us to just stay home is that they've no idea what else to do; it's the only tool in their arsenal, because they're mostly blind. There isn't enough testing, so there is no way to identify where the risk areas are or to do practical contact tracing. It is the health equivalent of telling the fire department there is a fire, but that they have to drive around spraying water on every house and hope they get the one that's burning.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
There was something in the news a few days ago where they were asking us not to cross the provincial border unless necessary.

I live in Ottawa but work in Hull, so that would have affected me if I wasn't already working at home.

And further to this, I just saw this news report:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...box=1585753188

Police checkpoints on the bridges between Ontario and Quebec in the Ottawa area. The building I work in is just out of frame in that first picture!
Old 04-01-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
And further to this, I just saw this news report:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...box=1585753188

Police checkpoints on the bridges between Ontario and Quebec in the Ottawa area. The building I work in is just out of frame in that first picture!
Yeah, I saw that this morning. Apparently there were two hour lineups to get across?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Jays Fan

March 31 does not appear to have been that bad a day, suggesting the reporting changes were the reason for the surge in the previous week. Offiically the Canadian tally is 9,489 cases, 101 dead.

Quebec remains the epicenter of the Canadian outbreak, and I suspect it will remain so. Quebec is reporting that they're running out of PPE for health workers.

In an odd bit of cross border friendship, the town of Stewart, BC is apparently getting supplies to the town of Hyder, AK, despite the travel bans. Hyder is geographically totally cut off from the rest of the United States, but is close to Stewart, and so Hyder gets pretty much all its stuff from Stewart - so much so that the residents of Hyder usually use Canadian money. So, by necessity, the border restrictions have to be eased there.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

In an odd bit of cross border friendship, the town of Stewart, BC is apparently getting supplies to the town of Hyder, AK, despite the travel bans. Hyder is geographically totally cut off from the rest of the United States, but is close to Stewart, and so Hyder gets pretty much all its stuff from Stewart - so much so that the residents of Hyder usually use Canadian money. So, by necessity, the border restrictions have to be eased there.
That is interesting. Good for them.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:00 PM

Well, yeah good for them but this is kind of the game plan. That's what annoyed me about one of Scheer's interviews, where he complained about Canada sending PPE to China early in the year.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

So far the numbers here in BC seem promising, but I guess that has been the case in most places right before the shit hits the fan. If any of you are slackers like me you can take this opportunity to do your will. I did mine here. Probably nowhere near as good as one done by an attorney in person, but a hell of a lot better than nothing!!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

We dragged out our will for review, but at least we have one, lol.

I watched the Alberta update today, pretty long, but direct and to the point. New cases where at 115 or something close, a bump up because testing had been delayed because of a lack of chemicals. Now they are running at full testing capacity. They also said they felt hospital supplies and beds are believed to be capable of handling the surge.

They are working on a rapid response kit for testing, and a new antibody kit. So good on them.

It is nice to see politicians answer press questions directly and in full detail, even if they are questioned as to why things were done in a certain way. I guess they don't have to cover up not being prepared, because for the most part they were prepared.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:33 PM

The numbers have been going up and the distancing is starting to make some people antsy (more aggressive driving). It seems more nursing homes are affected in Ontario than once thought. The next week will be pretty important as to the future curve. Many of the stores are closed here, but now the province has mandated other closures, like off-leash parks and picnic areas. If it could help, I guess itís worth it.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

The nation-wide number of new cases has held steady for three days, as reported by Wikipedia: 1128 on March 30, 1143 yesterday, and 1140 today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...emic_in_Canada

On a local level, the new cases in Saskatchewan have been on a downward trend. There were two spikes, from the doctors’ bonspiel in Edmonton, and a snowmobile rally at Christopher Lake, but the trend is clearly down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c...n_Saskatchewan
We will come through this pandemic. Hang on tight to the ones you love.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-01-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

In other news, my EI application was approved, less than two weeks after I applied. I honestly wasn't expecting it do soon, given the crush of applicants.

Last edited by Sunspace; 04-02-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
The nation-wide number of new cases has held steady for three days, as reported by Wikipedia: 1128 on March 30, 1143 yesterday, and 1140 today.
If it can be held here, we'll be okay. COVID-19, on average, lasts about fourteen days. A daily case increase of 1140 will stabilize at roughly 16,000 active cases nationwide, which won't be easy to deal with but it's manageable if provinces work together to move resources and personnel from places with less pressure to hotspots.

The caseload has to go DOWN, though, to allow for any relaxation of social distancing (or we need way, way better testing to allow for more specific control.)
Old 04-02-2020, 12:55 PM

Why am I having problems finding out the number of new cases in Canada? What are the new number of cases for, say, the last week? If I look at the Long Description for table 2 on the government site, I see this:

Starting with a peak on March 18:

Date ----------+-New Cases
2020-03-25 - 257
2020-03-26 - 236
2020-03-27 - 185
2020-03-28 - 135
2020-03-29 - 101
2020-03-30 - 87
2020-03-31 - 47

That doesn't look right. What am I missing?

ETA: Elsewhere I'm seeing up to 1,100 new cases yesterday.

Last edited by Leaffan; 04-02-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Why am I having problems finding out the number of new cases in Canada? What are the new number of cases for, say, the last week? If I look at the Long Description for table 2 on the government site, I see this:

Starting with a peak on March 18:

Date ----------+-New Cases
2020-03-25 - 257
2020-03-26 - 236
2020-03-27 - 185
2020-03-28 - 135
2020-03-29 - 101
2020-03-30 - 87
2020-03-31 - 47

That doesn't look right. What am I missing?

ETA: Elsewhere I'm seeing up to 1,100 new cases yesterday.
Today doesnít look to be a good day:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/canada/
Old 04-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Rick Mercer rants on COVID-19

From his study, it looks like.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the Rick Mercer rant, he's a gem. Another promising update for BC with only 55 new cases. Dr Bonnie Henry has been great at disseminating information and calmly impressing on us the seriousness of buying into social distancing and staying at home. Sadly Nigel Howard the sign language interpreter is no longer featured, he was amazing and I'm not sure why he is no longer on the daily updates.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
If it can be held here, we'll be okay. COVID-19, on average, lasts about fourteen days.
At least, and only for those with mild symptoms. Fourteen days is considered the maximum incubation period, so if you have reason to think you may have been exposed, this is the amount of time specified for self-isolation. If you're not sick after that time then you either don't have it or might by an asymptomatic carrier. However, according to a Q&A I saw recently on CNN, those who do get it and experience more severe symptoms may have symptoms for "up to" 6 weeks.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Again, I'm going with an estimate. You're right in that some people - especially, of course, those with other medical problems - can suffer for longer.

The really relevant numbers of course aren't those with "Symptoms." It's not even "people who need medical attention." It is people who need to be in an ICU or equivalent. That is where the system can truly break.

Canada does not have a lot of ICU beds - from such resources as I can find the number is only about 5,000, quite a bit less per capita than the USA. Those beds are not all sitting empty and that number is not easily increased. We would be lucky indeed if half of them were available, and if COVID-19 gets out of hand they will swiftly be swamped.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-02-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

Premier Ford has said thst he will release, or at least talk about, the Ontario models and projections tomorrow (Friday).
Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

I appreciate what the media is doing, but if I had one wish, it would be this: stop cutting to press conferences by provincial health ministers or provincial health officers, who do nothing but report new numbers and repeat the same advice about social distancing.

I was watching CTV Newschannel today, and they were interviewing an epidemiologist, who had a lot of interesting and educational things to say. But the news anchor had to stop him, because the BC Health Officer was speaking at a press conference. And she did nothing more than list new numbers and repeat the same advice.

The epidemiologist had information that we Canadians could all use, but CTV determined that it was more important that we hear new numbers from BC and the same advice we've been hearing for the last two weeks. This isn't the first time this has happened, and I'm getting tired of it.

Reporters should cover provincial governments' press conferences, but their findings can be summarized and reported by the anchor later. When an expert is speaking, informing, and educating; don't cut to yet another provincial press conference that is nothing more than numbers and the same advice.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Boy, that's one way to put it.

I would guess that probably half of all independent restaurants are doomed. Canada wasn't ready for this. We liked to slap ourselves on the back and talk about how much better we are than the Americans, but are we really? The rate of growth right now is the same.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:35 AM

We've got a street that is a strip of bars and restaurants, Elgin street in Ottawa, that just finished a full year closure for infrastructure projects. Pretty grim for them.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Ontario is holding a briefing at noon where they plan on releasing their projections, and are already warning it's going to look bad, and that stricter measures are on the way. My guess is the school year will be called off / done remotely (what they will do for kids without technology at home I don't know) there will be an actual legal ban on public gatherings you can get ticketed/arrested for, and they might limit movement to other provinces. The definition of what constitutes an "Essential business" will be tightened. They'd probably make masks mandatory in public but there aren't any for people to buy.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-03-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:15 AM

And the supply of masks is likely to dry up even worse with the news that the US, our supposed ally, is putting significant pressure on companies to stop the export of masks to Canada and Latin America.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Jays Fan

You'd think the feds could find a manufacturer willing to make at least surgical masks. It's not rocket science and there are manufacturers out there.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:40 AM

Why? 3M makes shitloads of masks in China and we'll get some. There's no way some retrofitting of some factory in Ontario is going to produce enough for anything other than bullshit political points.

There's no way to expect every single country in the world to have a pandemic sized backup supply. We have to, as worldwide community, move resources where they are needed in a situation like this.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Ontario has come out and said that they expect 3,000-15,000 deaths, 1500 or more of which will be in April. Currently it's under 100, so this is not an optimistic guess. They figure it WOULD HAVE been 4000-5000 in April had nothing been done.

So far nothing super concrete in terms of enhanced measures has been said. It's a "we'll come up with something else" message.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-03-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Why? 3M makes shitloads of masks in China and we'll get some.
Some of the news stories that I am reading are saying that the US claims to have the authority to order 3M to redirect the orders from its subsidiaries. Other countries may well retaliate with similar measures, and I am not confident that Canada is not going to be caught in the crossfire and find themselves with very few places willing to export masks to anywhere in North America.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:46 PM

That's pretty worst case. Canada has played ball with China on resource sharing. Trump seems to have been corralled pretty good on previous covid response idiocy lately. And we can directly accept shipments from China easier than Latin America.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Trump will change his mind by dinner. He's a nitwit, and has no plan for good or bad.

I would never in my wildest dreams have thought the Doug Ford government would ever do anything well, but I tip my cap; they are handling this with a calm, determined professionalism. No one is playing politics, no one is bullshitting. Indeed, so far as I am aware, every government in the country is working together and sticking to the plain facts and trying to just solve the problem. The feds didn't act soon enough; they will end up being correctly criticized by posterity for being too worried about appearances and less about people getting sick for awhile, but when push cam to shove they have not been screwing around.

The situation in the USA is... umm, different.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I don't think it is clear that Trump has actually used the law to force 3M to stop shipping masks to Canada. As RickJay said, probably just Trump blowing smoke and making headlines.

3M currently makes 1.1 billion masks per year, is that enough supply for the current demand? I don't know.

Companies and governments will be rethinking their supply chains. Cheapest may not always be as important as making sure supplies are available.

BTW, I just got denied for Alberta emergency isolation aid. It is $1,200 or so to tie Albertans over till federal aid arrives. As far as I can see I qualify. Applying was a huge pita and took hours. System crashes and asking for huge amounts of information. I will try again.

Last edited by Mikemike2; 04-04-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Here is a link from Google showing how much people are doing leisure activities, staying home and going to work to the end of March. They have compiled it by using GPS information on people's phones. The amount of shopping information they have must be stunning. They would know where every person by name goes to restaurants, shopping and leisure.

Here is the link for Canada, with the provinces broken out too. https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobi..._Report_en.pdf

It seems the data is very similar from different provinces, meaning they are all taking isolation seriously.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

My brother in law's salary is down to $125 a week, but he qualifies for no aid of any kind. It's not a perfect system, that's for sure.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Trump will change his mind by dinner. He's a nitwit, and has no plan for good or bad.

I would never in my wildest dreams have thought the Doug Ford government would ever do anything well, but I tip my cap; they are handling this with a calm, determined professionalism. No one is playing politics, no one is bullshitting. Indeed, so far as I am aware, every government in the country is working together and sticking to the plain facts and trying to just solve the problem. The feds didn't act soon enough; they will end up being correctly criticized by posterity for being too worried about appearances and less about people getting sick for awhile, but when push cam to shove they have not been screwing around.

The situation in the USA is... umm, different.
Agreed completely. All levels of government have been doing their best. Although Alberta's latest decisions to lay off educational assistants while simultaneously given 7.5 billion to a pipeline for $4 bitumen is a head scratcher.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
March 31 does not appear to have been that bad a day, suggesting the reporting changes were the reason for the surge in the previous week. Offiically the Canadian tally is 9,489 cases, 101 dead.

Quebec remains the epicenter of the Canadian outbreak, and I suspect it will remain so. Quebec is reporting that they're running out of PPE for health workers.

And Trump has thanked us by banning exports of supplies to Canada. So far, Trudeau has not said anything about retaliation.

I think the many returning snowbirds might explain why Quebec has so many. But we have been in isolation for about three weeks now. I couldn't stand Premier Legault, him of the intolerance act, but it seems to me he is doing a good job with this. So is Doug Ford, whom I assumed was a clown like his brother.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:38 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Trudeau HAS said something about retaliation; he's said he won't do it. That's the correct strategy. Trump is stupid and easily distracted; if you try to fight with him he'll just try to hurt more people out of spite, including his own people. Buttering him up, going around him, and finding loopholes in whatever rule he's imposing is much smarter.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I was surprised at Ontario's numbers this morning. The whole province is basically shuttered indoors and yet the number of cases continues to grow significantly. It seems almost impossible.
There is a lag time between actions taken and noticeable results. This can cause all sorts of, I told you so, arguments after the fact. Isolation slows the progress of communicable disease. It is practically in the description of the disease. In East coast speak, sociable disease. Be antisocial for a bit.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:33 PM

We need to take back the production of our more vital supplies. Make ourselves more secure and create jobs and economic activity in our own country. I am not xenophobic. But if you want an economy to be under control of your own country, you cannot import everything. You also cannot depend on exports to support your economy. Proper trade is balanced. You import only what you absolutely cannot reasonably create in country. You export only what is not of major consequence. You do not sell out all your industry and jobs to the lowest overseas bidder, to enrich a tiny number of the already very wealthy. And our "Friends" have their own responsibilities to their voters. Not ours.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:41 PM

NM

Last edited by Kedikat; 04-05-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedikat View Post
We need to take back the production of our more vital supplies. Make ourselves more secure and create jobs and economic activity in our own country.

Part of the problem with this is, it doesn't maximize profits, which has been the be-all and end-all of business planning for far too many people for far too long. I've seen people argue that it's not just illegal, but immoral for corporations not to do everything they can to maximize the profits for their investors.

If you want these critical products to be made in Canada, then someone, somewhere has to take the hit on paying more for them. We've seen that businesses simply won't take this hit, otherwise we never would have gotten into this situation. So, it will have to be the government that takes the hit. That will, of course, require government spending, which means we either raise taxes, or cut spending on something else.

And there's currently far too many people opposed to one or both of those options.

So, as a country, we need to fix that first. We need to get a solid majority to stand behind spending the money we need to spend to secure these supplies, now and in the future.

The "Now" part will probably be easy, since people are currently panicking. The "later" part will be harder, when people start looking at their annual tax bills.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
We've got a street that is a strip of bars and restaurants, Elgin street in Ottawa, that just finished a full year closure for infrastructure projects. Pretty grim for them.
I read that as "a street of strip bars and restaurants" at first glance, and thought "Go Elgin!"

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 04-06-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedikat View Post
We need to take back the production of our more vital supplies. Make ourselves more secure and create jobs and economic activity in our own country. I am not xenophobic. But if you want an economy to be under control of your own country, you cannot import everything. You also cannot depend on exports to support your economy. Proper trade is balanced. You import only what you absolutely cannot reasonably create in country.
Well, no. This doesn't really make any sense; if this was a policy you'd be dooming Canadians to a drop in their standard of living equivalent to what this pandemic is going to do to us. Forever. We are still importing an enormous number of things, even with the pandemic, with relatively little disruption. National borders aren't the solution to these problems. They are PART of the problem.

Erecting trade barriers between Canada and other countries is exactly as illogical as, say, erecting trade barriers between different municipalities in Canada. I am sure you would consider that idiotic, but it's the same thing.

The problem here isn't that we import things like N95 masks and respirators. It's that we had no reserve supply.The government could have had a stockpile - it wouldn't have mattered if they were made in Manitoba or Malaysia, it's best to have an emergency stockpile for this scenario and to have a plan for their distribution.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-06-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I was surprised at Ontario's numbers this morning. The whole province is basically shuttered indoors and yet the number of cases continues to grow significantly. It seems almost impossible.
Incidentally, as to this, bear in mind SARS-CoV-2 percolates in a person for awhile before exploding into the disease.

There are three basic measures; infected people, sick people, and dead people, and they do not all happen at the same time. A person is first an infected person. some days later - and it can be a week - they MAY become a sick person. Some days after that - and a person can fight this disease for a long time - if they are very unlucky, they become a dead person. So the pandemic will have three distinct statistical peaks; infected first, sick second, dead last.

All our numbers are a bit fuzzy - contrary to what people think, even the number of dead is not a settled or clear matter - but it's clear that things really exploded in terms of sick people on the week of March 23.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...te-live-video/

Those people were infected prior to that, though, probably in the previous two weeks. (Again, it takes awhile for symptoms to appear, and a person who gets sick may wait quite a long time before going to a hospital.) Cases were up, as you can see in that chart, a bit more last week, but the rate of infection appears to be slowing, albeit not as quickly as we might hope. April 2 was a really bad day.

(A note of caution here; the manner in which cases are classified and reported is still a little inconsistent and not always reliable. The sheer number is bringing some reliability to the trends, but you never know.)

However, even if we plateau in infections and sick people now, the last statistic is deaths; that peak will come after the peak in illnesses. We also will not really know the true death toll for some time, when statisticians can do an analysis of increased mortality rates.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-06-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Not so sure about that. They've got crazy "confirmed cases" numbers but still lower than Ontario in deaths and ICU numbers.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The problem here isn't that we import things like N95 masks and respirators. It's that we had no reserve supply.The government could have had a stockpile - it wouldn't have mattered if they were made in Manitoba or Malaysia, it's best to have an emergency stockpile for this scenario and to have a plan for their distribution.

There's also the problem that the people who were supposed to be in charge and on top of things like this (Trump, China et al.) dropped the ball so badly. Canada, and in fact most the rest of the world, doesn't have the resources needed to track every possible pandemic. We rely on accurate reporting from other countries, to alert us to potential problems. We didn't get that.

If we'd starting ramping up production for all the equipment we need now back in January, when Trump got several warnings that he ignored, we'd be in much better shape right now.

When this is all over and the history gets written, that lost two months will stand out as the biggest screw up of this whole event.

Quote:
Not so sure about that. They've got crazy "confirmed cases" numbers but still lower than Ontario in deaths and ICU numbers.

Part of the issue with sorting out these numbers, and what they mean for how the disease is progressing, is that Quebec changed how it counts its numbers in the middle of it all. Originally, they were only counting infections that were confirmed by testing, but now they're apparently counting anything that fits the symptoms, which most other places counts as "presumptive" cases, not "confirmed". That means there was a one-time jump in the numbers, and that after this, the total numbers will always be higher than they would have been under the previous counting system.