Old 04-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
I'd still like to know how others plan to care for themselves of they do catch the virus.

Obviously someone who gets only a very mild case would be able to do self-care without any issues. But there are a lot of people--I know one in particular--who have been quite ill and too weak to care for themselves but not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital. The person I know lives with her family.

This is my biggest concern about COVID.
That's a potential problem, yeah.

Early this winter, when I thought I might need surgery (they decided I only need meds, yay!), I had friends lined up in advance who were able, during the expected periods of time, to drive me around, to stay in the house or come up from next door and take care of the cats, to take care of me for a while after I got back home. But I would only have been asking them for their time. I wasn't asking them to risk their lives, and those of their household members, by being in contact with someone ill with an infectious disease. I'd feel a lot less happy about asking them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I know I got an injection of the contrast stuff, but not a continuous i.v. That is definitely freaky. Maybe it depends on what part of the body they're aiming at.
Mine was cardiac, FWIW. I don't know whether they do it that way for all cardiac MRI's, though; or whether all facilities do it the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Vaughan View Post
Perhaps the most important thing about an MRI is that the damned machines are noisy. They are unavoidably basically a large loudspeaker - make up of a huge magnet plus electrically energised magnetic coils. When the machine is scanning, the coils bang and thump in a most disconcerting manner. For head scans they like to wrap a close fitting antenna around your head so that they get the best possible signal. .
They gave me ear plugs; but the noise wasn't as bad as I expected. For some reason I'd been expecting some sort of really loud continuous noise. Instead it was more like BZZZZZ BZZZZZ BZZZZZ BZZZZ CLANG CLANG silence for a while DING DING DING silence CLANGITY CLANGITY BZZZZZ BZZZZZ silence till I started to wonder what was going on before it started up again or a voice came in, and so on. I took to counting the BZZZZZ's for something to do; there seemed to usually be about twelve to fifteen of them, IIRC, in a given batch. Fewer of the clangs and dings.

Again that might vary depending on what's being scanned; but I suspect that in general it's not CONTINUOUS ROAR the whole time.

Luckily none of the noises hit any of the particular frequencies that really bother me; so, for me at least, no teeth-on-edge factor. Just loud.

I think the most difficult thing for me, besides a little bit of claustrophobic feeling but not too bad, was worrying whether I was holding still enough. They told me that I could slightly move/stretch my arms and legs, but if I moved my torso it might ruin the whole series. Apparently I managed it all right, though.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Again that might vary depending on what's being scanned; but I suspect that in general it's not CONTINUOUS ROAR the whole time.
The noise is directly related to how the machine creates it images. Hard to explain without some passably serious (undergraduate level) mathematics and physics. But if you think of each individual bang, whether it be a big bang, or one of the little bangs that make up a buzzzzzz, they are the coils creating slightly different gradients of magnetic field through your body, each band is a coil changing its gradient slightly. Each different gradient causes the protons in the water inside you to sing at a slightly different frequency in response to a pulse from a radio frequency generator, and by knowing what the gradient was, the computer can work out where the various parts of you that were singing away are, and thus build up a map of what is inside you. The contrast medium subtlety alters the frequency to magnetic field relationship, and so allows the system to outline parts of your body that take up the medium differently.

But basically, the bang buzz and thump is quite literally the scanner twisting the magnetic field around to allow the radio frequency detection system to scan through you.

The very early research MRI scanners actually used high end HiFi amplifiers to drive the gradient coils. (The venerable Crown DC300)
Old 04-11-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Christ, I'm sorry. I moved cross country this January and rented myself a shack tiny little house in the ass end of Buttfuck, Michigan because my I.T. Guy and I were just absolutely done-o with each other and I didn't want to live anywhere in that whole region anymore. (Plus other reasons.)

But we didn't really, uh, break up totally all the way completely and will be seeing each other soon.
Yeah, it sucks.

My wife called yesterday morning just to chat - and that is VERY odd for her. She doesn't like talking on the phone with anyone; to call just to chat about random things for 25 minutes is astoundingly out of character, so much so that fir the first two minutes of the call I was waiting for her to give me some kind of horrible news. It took that long for me to believe what was happening. I loved talking to her, it was a fun call, but I cannot think of something more indicative of how lonely people are getting.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:44 AM

I am WFH, with a wife and two small children as cell-mates.

I would *love* to be living on my own, furloughed with nothing to do except smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.

I'm talking video games, wine for breakfast, being in nothing but my underwear 24/7, losing all perspective of night and day, no responsibilities, no noise. .. It sounds like bliss....
Old 04-11-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
I would *love* to be living on my own [ . . .] no responsibilities, no noise. .. It sounds like bliss....
Years ago, when my mother was going into dementia and first living here and then the cause of multiple phone calls and visits (both her and out-of-town family) while she was in a nursing home, I came up with a fantasy world; which I won't otherwise go into here except to say that it involved my having a hundred acres of farm and woods and lakefront, two cats and a dog, a house and barns and pretty much anything advertised in the last hundred years that I wanted to order -- but, for six months, no human contact and I couldn't go anywhere else.

This situation has unnerving similarities to that fantasy. Though in the fantasy, among the things I no longer needed to worry about were the results of elections, or filling out my taxes.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I'm talking video games, wine for breakfast, being in nothing but my underwear 24/7, losing all perspective of night and day, no responsibilities, no noise. .. It sounds like bliss....
For you, maybe. But damn sure not for me. For me it's profoundly boring, depressing, and lonely, and the worst thing is that if you even speculate on when it might end, you're a lout who wants to throw Granny under the train for the sake of your stock portfolio.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
For you, maybe. But damn sure not for me. For me it's profoundly boring, depressing, and lonely, and the worst thing is that if you even speculate on when it might end, you're a lout who wants to throw Granny under the train for the sake of your stock portfolio.
I hear you - my fantasy is very different to your reality

[virtual fist-bump]
Old 04-12-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I am WFH, with a wife and two small children as cell-mates.

I would *love* to be living on my own, furloughed with nothing to do except smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.

I don't mean to be a braggart, but for me it is. No dealing with people I don't necessarily want to deal with, no schedule at all, time has no meaning (except that all Timmies here but one close at 5 pm)… but that's just me. It is addictive, for sure, but it can also make you into a lost cause if you're not careful.

I do sometimes envy people who have it in them to live a normal life. This weekend, for instance, when we would normally have a family get-together, I will be here alone with my dogs and leftover pizza. I miss my parents, but am afraid to go see them.

No smokes here, gave them up years ago, but I can live on Tim's land anything with sugar in it.

------------------------------------------------

"Stay the blazes home" - Stephen McNeil, Premier of Nova Scotia

Last edited by Sean the Dog; 04-12-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I live alone -- no pets. I can work from home but did not do so until I had to. I prefer the office (separating work form home), but I'm reasonably productive (only one monitor at home)
I am a creature of habit so shower and dress like I'm going to work. Except I don't wear shoes.
I often take a walk in the morning and at lunch (just around the block) -- this helps.
I email friends and family and with text with coworkers. I am used to being alone so am doing mostly OK mood wise.

Brian
Old 04-19-2020, 07:48 AM

I also live alone, no pets. I test robots for a living. My company has online simulators I can use from home, but I prefer to use the actual hardware at the office. I'm managing, but not enjoying the isolation. I sewed a face mask from a pattern I found online. It turned out okay, but I might make another.

When this whole thing started, my company already had several remote workers, so we had some experience with it. Last week, I started using a hand puppet in our video conferences. He's a crocodile; I call him Wynyard. On Friday, I put a Hawaiian shirt on him.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:19 AM

OP here. I started this thread two weeks ago tomorrow, but I've been here at home (and nowhere else) for about five weeks now. I haven't been in the presence of another human being for all that time. I've had three grocery deliveries, which the people left on the porch and I waited a few minutes to go out and pick up. I've had a couple of neighbors drop things off following the same procedure.

Disclaimer: I realize that none of the following is unique to me, particularly WRT others posting in this thread. Not claiming to be special or uniquely cursed. Just want to spout off a bit. Feel free to join me.

My social life was meager before all of this happened, but now: nothing. I have about three people I check in with, either phoning or texting.

I don't mind not having to go anywhere, but not being able to go anywhere is wearing. I don't mind living alone or being alone most of the time... or even the great majority of the time. But I envy people who have people who want to be with them and miss them. Who are longing for the day when they can be together again, hug, kiss (if appropriate), and do more (if appropriate). On the one hand, I'm glad not to be stuck in my small house with several children/teens/young adults, a spouse/partner, possibly some in-laws, or others who will (no doubt, as was usually my lot in life) expect me to devote myself to making sure they are okay/amused/fed. And yet, I miss being needed and wanted. And missed. And frankly, loved a lot. I fully realize that this is a paradox and I bounce back and forth between these two positions endlessly, exhausting myself in the process.

Thank God I am okay financially (not wealthy or even "well off," but okay) and don't have to work. That is due to no merit or diligence on my part but due entirely to my late husband, God bless him.

There's another thread in the QZ forum that asks if you are worried about the COVID thing. I'm really not worried about myself (except for how I'm feeling emotionally), as my situation is enviable to others, I'm sure, and I could go on like this indefinitely, not seeing anyone, and getting grocery deliveries. It is wearing me down, and (I believe) we're not even at the halfway point in this crisis. But I do worry about kids who are not going to school. About people who are not working and are losing income, plus losing a sense of purpose and accomplishment. I hate that sports and entertainment events hae been shut down. That people can't gather in whatever groups they found meaningful-- church, temple, mosque, AA groups, book clubs, sewing circles. A distant relative whose partner committed suicide three years ago relied on his suicide support group as a lifeline-- they're not meeting for the duration. Routine medical/dental appointments. I'm having a Zoom appt with my oncologist on Tuesday. I worry about stupid people disregarding safety measures and declaring the crisis over and going on to get sick or infect others (possibly me!). This crisis has brought out the good in people, but it has really brought out the STUPID!

I am plunged into hopelessness when I see the ripples of this shutdown getting bigger, crashing through, and tearing down the structures of our world. I read things every day that reduce me to impotent tears in addition to the small tears I shed for myself. I can't mention the political situation in this forum, but the sense of having no competent leadership at the helm of our Titanic, compounds my anxiety. Again, less for me personally (except for my personal loneliness), than for all our fellow citizens, their loved ones, children, parents, even though I have none of those.

Scraping around for something to be optimistic about. Not having any luck today. Maybe tomorrow...

Peace.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:23 PM

I feel grateful to be living alone. This is my first spring/summer in my new home, so I am enjoying having the time and space to put my own mark on this place. I work in my garden every day and spend every night on the screen porch enjoying the night sounds. I don't feel lonely at all. I am working about 50 hurs a week, with many zoom meetings. My social life has also moved to zoom, with a weekly trivia game and 2-3 regular happy hours. I talk to my mom, simblings and daughter more than usual

I walk my neighborhood very day and am actually getting to know more people now (from a distance!) I also hike every weekend with a friend in the woods locally.

I am actually enjoying my new routine, and feel safe and optimistic. I could go another few months like this and I believe I will come out with a new perspective on a lot of things.

Last edited by The Undeposable Hand; 04-19-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding you... you won't have a needle in your arm during the whole MRI. They'll probably give you a shot of the contrast substance. I've had two MRIs and while I wouldn't want one every day of the week they're only about 1% as distressing as the average root canal. (UGH! People working inside your mouth for hours many long minutes... ewww!) There is no pain involved whatsoever, just a loud, clanging sound.

When I had the second one, I asked the technician to let me know when we were halfway done. That helped. Lie still and keep your eyes shut or wear an eye mask. I was very anxious before my first one, but it turned out to be a classic case of the worry being a million times worse than the actual event. Look at it this way: it's 45 (or less) minutes out of your life, and millions of people have gone through them. If they can do it, you can do it.

Don't think about it so much ahead of time, and certainly don't brace yourself for the worst. (Unless you've found that that particular strategy works to calm you-- it wouldn't work for me.) You might think of some very nice place you'd like to go for dinner after it's over and focus on that. The appointment will be here and over with before you know it!
Unfortunately, this is a proper IV, not just a shot. A couple friends have been through the same, and my doctor confirmed it. While I am stressed out thinking about it (and the subsequent cost), she did give me a single dose of lorazepam to take a half hour before the appointment. I'm REALLY hope it helps me stay calm and not suffer the crap I go through every time blood is taken.

Right now I'm looking forward to grabbing a free birthday coffee I get from Scooter's after the appointment.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

I've been working from home 4 days a week for a year or so, so when the company had all office employees move to WFH at the end of February, it was no big deal. I have my farm with my dogs and horses and I go into town about once a week for groceries.

I'm beginning to miss being able to do the things I want - my sister asked on Friday what my plans for the weekend were and I joked, "Oh, go out to lunch and then the movies. Maybe do some shopping and go to Mass." It's been a long time since I've done any of that. My riding lessons are not only cancelled for the duration, the barn owner has decided only to give lessons to people who board at the barn, so now I'll have to find a new lesson program when things are safe to open back up.

And because things are closed down, we might not have a funeral for my 2-yr old great nephew who drowned two weeks ago. And I can't be there to support my sister, who has started cancer treatment and is looking at an amputation of her leg.

StG
Old 04-20-2020, 08:13 PM

My life is sad enough by most peoples standards that this really isn't that much of a difference.
I have lived alone, no pets for 18 years now. About half that time working from home. I have actually gone up to two weeks before without talking to anyone, live or on the phone, just because it happened that way. Most of my social life is at the bar, which is closed of course, but sometimes I don't go, in normal conditions, for a month or more for one reason or another. The house on one side is empty, has been for 2 years, the house on the other has a guy who works night shift, and is the back of my house with no windows, so I usually on see him once a month or so, when we both happen to be in the yard.

Last edited by wolfman; 04-20-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:32 PM

A bright spot. After being only able to play cards with myself and go on straight dope board, my friend came in her car and brought me a lot of toilet paper, tissues and a variety puzzle book. That. It's keeping me OK til my hopefully freedom day of May 1.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
... and a variety puzzle book.
I've done crossword puzzles for years, and have many collections of New York Times Sunday puzzles, not all of which are complete. So, I'm working on completing them. They're helping pass the time in a harmless, but fun, way.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:55 AM

What ratchets up the pain is that even the solitary activities that I used to enjoy, like going to the library or the gym, are gone, and they ain’t coming back any time soon.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
A bright spot. After being only able to play cards with myself and go on straight dope board, my friend came in her car and brought me a lot of toilet paper, tissues and a variety puzzle book. That. It's keeping me OK til my hopefully freedom day of May 1.
What happens May 1?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:08 AM

Ohio's stay home order expires, things start opening.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Ohio's stay home order expires, things start opening.
How much outside activity do you plan to engage in?
Old 04-21-2020, 09:09 AM

Outside or near people? I love being where people are. I will mask and glove up
Old 04-21-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Pets, yes... or maybe no pets either? But no spouse, roommate, parent, child, no other person living (or most likely, visiting) in your home.

What is this like for you? Do you have any kind of self/other-imposed routine/schedule? What are you cooking/eating? How's your sleep? Financial worries? Health worries besides CV)? How are you staying in touch and who are those people (in general)? What's the hardest/easiest thing about this lockdown?
I'm retired and live alone (no pets.)

I have Asperger's Syndrome, so social isolation affects me much less than other folk.

My main problem was that I don't drive, so groceries were a worry. I normally get them delivered, but there are no free slots for weeks.
Fortunately a few local friends set up a rota to do my shopping (they will all get wine or similar as a 'thank-you' )

I get dressed (most days - I allow myself one day a week in my pyjamas ), have a walk round my back garden (it's eerie, because there's no noise from lawnmowers, dogs or even gardeners), check my e-mail, play computer games*, play postal games, read and order TV series + films from Amazon.

I've continued my bridge teaching by going online (strange, but satisfying) and my role-playing by using Skype.

Sleep is fine, fortunately and I have no worries about health (because we have Universal Health Care here in the UK.)

My investments have dropped 20% in value due to the crisis (but they will recover over time) and I had to postpone my trip to Las Vegas (as my friends there tell me it's a ghost town.) Fortunately the travel company has reimbursed me in full.

*I've reached maximum level in Lord of the Rings Online.

The hardest thing about this lockdown is knowing that the US and the UK both have in charge (spoilered as it's political)
SPOILER:
lying, narcissistic, incompetent, greedy buffoons.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I
I get dressed (most days - I allow myself one day a week in my pyjamas ), have a walk round my back garden (it's eerie, because there's no noise from lawnmowers, dogs or even gardeners),
That puzzles me. I'd think that people who have lawn and/or garden space and/or dogs would be spending more time out doing those things, not less.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:56 PM

When I retired about 3 months ago, I thought it would be great not to have to deal with people all.the.time. And I didn't really get a chance to adjust to that scenario before the lockdown. I've done pretty well so far alone. But last night as I was preparing for bed, I suddenly was just overwhelmed with sadness. I miss people. I miss hugs. I even miss small talk. I've been dreaming about being at work every night for a couple weeks now. I think my brain is confused by this solitude and is trying to compensate in my dreams. It's very strange.

I usually talk on the phone to someone every day but it's just not the same as face to face contact. And I don't see that happening any time soon. I'm kind of concerned about the long term affects of being so completely alone. I've talked to some friends about possibly getting together in someone's yard, socially distant of course, just so we can see each other after the "stay at home" guidelines loosen up.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:10 AM

I've been completely on my own since March 13. I am working, and have a fair number of meetings on videoconference. Usually at least an hour a day. And friends are constantly calling and texting. I'm coping OK so far. Spending a lot of money on books, iPhone apps, and food delivery to give myself things to look forward to.

I don't know what I'd do if I got sick. I'm stockpiled for 2-3 weeks. I have Gatorade, ibuprofen, a thermometer, and a pulse oximeter. My parents are local and would want to help but they're obviously older and higher-risk so I don't think I'd do that. I'm 3 minutes walk from an urgent care place. Probably I'd try to just ride it out unless I started going hypoxic, and then I'd probably just rely on 911.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:13 AM

It's been really great. I lived from takeout to takeout, and this quarantine has made me realize that cooking is cheaper and much healthier. Besides it's more autonomous, and I can make food the way I really want to. Living alone also means I don't have to share my food with overly critical people. Don't get me wrong, I would share food with the needy, just not with a finicky person. I mean I would still share, but I'd find it unpleasant to hear their comments.

I have also been doing seven variations of the push up, three variations of the crucnhes to be in shape. I'm blessed with a 10-meter-long hallway, which I use for shuttle runs. So being physical has not been a problem at all.

I love working from home; it's beautiful. Like many of you have said, it's so easy to surround yourself with positive things. The hassle of the commute is also gone.

It feels like I'm on a vacation really. Terribly thankful and lucky to be privileged enough to lead this safe life even now.

I play music out loud and hum or sing along as I work. I've made it a point to give my ears a break from headphones/earphones. My hair is growing, which I don't mind, but I cannot stand facial hair on me. I give myself a clean shave every four days, and i'm good!

Stay safe, guys! Great thread. Power to the Singles. Lol
Old 04-29-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawf View Post
It's been really great. I lived from takeout to takeout, and this quarantine has made me realize that cooking is cheaper and much healthier. Besides it's more autonomous, and I can make food the way I really want to. Living alone also means I don't have to share my food with overly critical people. Don't get me wrong, I would share food with the needy, just not with a finicky person. I mean I would still share, but I'd find it unpleasant to hear their comments.

I have also been doing seven variations of the push up, three variations of the crucnhes to be in shape. I'm blessed with a 10-meter-long hallway, which I use for shuttle runs. So being physical has not been a problem at all.

I love working from home; it's beautiful. Like many of you have said, it's so easy to surround yourself with positive things. The hassle of the commute is also gone.

It feels like I'm on a vacation really. Terribly thankful and lucky to be privileged enough to lead this safe life even now.

I play music out loud and hum or sing along as I work. I've made it a point to give my ears a break from headphones/earphones. My hair is growing, which I don't mind, but I cannot stand facial hair on me. I give myself a clean shave every four days, and i'm good!

Stay safe, guys! Great thread. Power to the Singles. Lol
A very uplifting post. I woke up cranky at 4 am this morning, so thanks!
Old 04-29-2020, 11:19 AM

I worked from home two out of 4 1/2 days before this. Early in March I told my manager I was going to be wanting to work from home full-time soon, because of the virus. She was still thinking she was going to hop on a place to Iceland the following weekend. She's pretty oblivious when it comes to current events. March 11 was my last day in the office. I have an "office" with a window now! On March 16, the company I work for went from about 30% working from home to 95% working from home. I live alone, no pets. I might like to get a dog but I've never had a dog before and I'm not ready to commit. Dogs are kinda needy. I don't want to deal with a litter box in my tiny house so no cats.

I pick up groceries on a drive-by every week or two. I went into the grocery store early on a Sunday morning last month to buy liquor, which can't be picked up or delivered. Has to be a face-to-face sale. I went to the gas/convenience store at 3:30 a.m. earlier this month to get cigs, which also has to be a face-to-face transaction here. I had to go to the clinic two weeks ago for a urinalysis for a UTI. I have to go again Friday for some labs I couldn't do while I was there before because I hadn't been fasting. Other than running into my neighbor outside a few times and chatting at a distance, that's the extent of my face-to-face contact since March 11.

I don't go to movies or eat at restaurants, or go out anyway, except for a few trips to NYC every year. That's when I get my socialization in. I cancelled my April trip, of course, and I fully expect to cancel my November trip. I won't be planning my August trip. I keep in touch with my family and friends via e-mail, Facebook, or IM. I have no problem doing this until there's a vaccine or something else kills me first. No big deal. I won't go back to the office no matter what and my company and manager are going to be fine with it. I feel bad for all the people being forced to work in people-facing jobs but I'm also a very, very tiny bit envious of people that aren't working since, other than vacation time, I've only ever had three straight months off since I was 17. I know how lucky I am to still be employed and know that, no matter what, I'll continue to be. Unless company policy changes, I have five years and three months until I can retire and get the excellent health insurance deal for retirees my company offers. I may opt to cut my hours between now and then.

The only thing I can think of that I'll really miss (other than my NYC trips) is the farmers market on Saturday mornings. With a little extra effort I'll still be able to get my produce and stuff (I follow my vendors on Facebook) but it's a large market so I expect it to be cancelled until next summer.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
A very uplifting post. I woke up cranky at 4 am this morning, so thanks!
Thank you for sharing that!

Really glad my post was of some help to you.

Stay safe and well!
Old 04-30-2020, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Seven years ago, I moved into a house here in NC. My rent, and the average utility bills, and all fixed expenses, such as health insurance, laundry, auto insurance, prescriptions, and the long term average of my food costs, and a couple of bottles of my favorite liquor a year, are a bit less than my fixed income. Usually that would include one or two events a week that I did for recreation, and social contact. Other non recurring expenses, such as books, or movies in theaters, and trips to visit those I love in other states were within my average annual income.
Each month, I would check my bank accounts, and use a portion of everything over six months of the total money spent on average during the last six months to an exercise in charity. Any significant excess of six months funding for my life I invest in some long term investment or savings.

In addition to those resources, I have a Roth IRA which I have never touched. (I always considered it a hedge against eventual inflation, and unforeseen expenses, which have not become a factor.) As of December of last year, my gross income was rather close to the median for Americans. Given my lifestyle, and habits, I have to admit, I am fabulously wealthy. The pandemic has strongly curtailed my indescretionary spending, My income has kept pace with the median before December. The rich get richer, and the poor have to work and expose themselves to pandemic disease, if they’re lucky.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
That puzzles me. I'd think that people who have lawn and/or garden space and/or dogs would be spending more time out doing those things, not less.
I don't have an answer for you.

I live in a small rural town (population around 11,000) and I see a few people walking their dogs outside - but none in the garden. (I suppose a dog much prefers a proper walk rather than doing circuits...)

Some folk might have a gardener (we have quite a few pensioners living in the town) and they probably don't want any visitors.

Social isolation is working here - so far we only have 20 confirmed cases and no deaths. Of course it's much easier to achieve that in a small rural community.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of ticks already and it's been 10-20 degrees colder than average for 2/3rds of the month. I might brave the ticks if it wasn't windy every single day it gets above 40F...
Old 04-30-2020, 09:46 PM

Today is exactly like yesterday and tomorrow will be exactly like today. Next week will be exactly like this week which is exactly like last week. I'm so stupefied into boredom and apathy that I don't know if I'll be able to function again even in the unlikely event that somewhere, some day, it's allowed. This is an absolutely miserable, worthless existence and I hate every minute of it.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
There are a lot of ticks already and it's been 10-20 degrees colder than average for 2/3rds of the month. I might brave the ticks if it wasn't windy every single day it gets above 40F...
I'm in the UK (Midlands) and it's been quite agreeable weather recently. (I don't think we have many ticks here )
Old 04-30-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I'm in the UK (Midlands) and it's been quite agreeable weather recently. (I don't think we have many ticks here )
Oh. Here in New England there are many ticks and rampant tick-borne diseases. It used to just be Lyme disease but there are others that are becoming a lot more common too.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Today is exactly like yesterday and tomorrow will be exactly like today. Next week will be exactly like this week which is exactly like last week. I'm so stupefied into boredom and apathy that I don't know if I'll be able to function again even in the unlikely event that somewhere, some day, it's allowed. This is an absolutely miserable, worthless existence and I hate every minute of it.
Thank you so much for posting this. There are plenty of times I feel this way-- right now is one of them, and frankly, I don't see much of a future, except more of the same. I think others feel like this, too, but there is a taboo on expressing one's negative starkly realistic thinking. I hope I don't sound presumptuous when I say I absolutely get what you're saying.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:42 AM

My management has requested that I and another coworker come into the office at least twice a week and push some paper that cannot be pushed at home.

At first I was pissed off about this, having grown accostumed to the comforts of my work office (my dining room table). While I'm still a little salty that I'm having to elevate my risk of catching a serious virus just so some upper manager up the food chain can get a pat on the head, I've realized that alternating work locations has been good for my spirit. It breaks up the monotony, for one thing. For another, it has made me appreciate the good things about being in the office. My chair is more comfortable there, as is the room temperature. Yesterday I was able to eat my favorite pizza from my favorite pizza place since it's just across the street from my office. And I love having my dual monitors, which I can't swing from home given the small size of my home workspace.

I also like seeing the occasional familiar face. My work office is largely a ghost town, but there are a few people who come in daily because they simply refuse to work from home. One is a new manager who is worried that it will look bad if she doesn't come in. A couple of others have children at home who drive them nuts. So as introverted as I am, I will say hi to everyone on this skeleton crew (maintaining social distancing, of course). Makes me feel more normal.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:47 PM

I wanted to give this a bump and see if any of the other live-aloners would like to check in.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to my hairdresser-- all safety measures will be in place. We're close friends but there will be no hugging. She'll be masked and have me hold my mask over my mouth. But we'll be able to talk without a phone, human to human.

This will be the closest I have been physically to another human being in eight weeks. No touches. No hugs. No handshakes. No one has been in a room with me-- just passing people on the street (on the OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET) and in the grocery store.

I usually get a couple of texts every day and one phone call-- not from the same people. That's it, contact-wise, except for here. I will confess there's no one in particular that I'm anxious to see or be around. When a friend suggested she might come over and sit 10 feet away, my reflexive response was, "NO!" I don't know what conclusions to draw from that.

[Rhetorical question] Can I go on like this for months? [/RQ]

I guess I'll have to.

How are y'all doing?
Old 05-11-2020, 06:58 PM

Doing OK here, still working from home until at least June 1. Company wants to bring people back to the office gradually since Indiana's stay at home order expired. There's too many of us to bring us all back at once.

Kittens are growing like weeds, they're currently snoozing on the back of the chair behind me. https://imgur.com/a/udorvXh

I went to the eye doctor last week, I was the first patient they'd seen other than emergencies for six weeks. Was interesting trying on frames while wearing a mask. They had me put all the "reject" frames in a box to be cleaned. That was the first place I'd gone other than the grocery store and vet's office since mid-March.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. Girlfriend View Post
Kittens are growing like weeds, they're currently snoozing on the back of the chair behind me. https://imgur.com/a/udorvxh....
squeeee!
Old 05-11-2020, 07:46 PM

I'm looking forward to going places as buses are free right now. It's a ray of hope
Old 05-11-2020, 08:17 PM

I have been tangled up in a farmers' market mess (abrupt decision on the part of the village on whose property we set up to move us to a different location) and have spent enough time on zoom, on the phone, and on email to leave me, personally, feeling stressed from excess interaction with other people. But then I'm far enough on the introvert end of the spectrum to generally be pretty happy alone, as long as I can hug the cats. (Who give me little choice in the matter.)

I've had several conversations with neighbors outside, standing some distance apart. That's also of some help.

And oh, cute kitten pic!
Old 05-11-2020, 08:58 PM

I'm doing okay sheltering. I came down ill (a couple weeks of horrid digestive issues which I'm wondering was C-19) so I didn't leave the house for three weeks, which was kind of hard. But social distancing is kind of my superpower, so it's fine.

I was speaking with a friend though and she sounds despondent: she's normally very social and works in a school with younger kids as a psychologist. Now she's trying to do meetings and kid therapy via zoom seven hours a day and finds that draining as hell, and she lives alone and has nothing social to recharge her and and when we spoke she was practically in tears
Old 05-11-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
...I was speaking with a friend though and she sounds despondent: she's normally very social and works in a school with younger kids as a psychologist. Now she's trying to do meetings and kid therapy via zoom seven hours a day and finds that draining as hell, and she lives alone and has nothing social to recharge her and and when we spoke she was practically in tears
Oh God, this sounds really awful. I can't imagine doing Zoom for 7 hours per day. Poor lady. I feel bad for her and I don't even know her.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:47 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
As much as it sucks, of course it will be allowed someday. This year.

It SEEMS like this has been going on for ten years. It hasn't been ten weeks. Time slows down to molasses, day merging with night. It won't be forever. Might feel pretty close though.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wanted to give this a bump and see if any of the other live-aloners would like to check in.
I'm still hanging in. I talk with my neighbours over the fence from time to time, and on the phone with family and friends. Old friends are sending e-mails and messages on Facebook, and I'm replying.

I do try to get out once a day. It may be nothing more than a trip to the supermarket for groceries, or to the corner store for something as simple as treating myself to a Coke and a bag of chips, or even just a walk around the block, but it's important that I get outside for a bit. Always avoiding others, of course.

Interestingly, I did get to meet up with some of my buddies not long ago. As I wrote to a distant friend:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, in a note to a friend
As for me ... I got the chance to meet up with the other regulars from our local sports bar. It was a beautiful spring day, and one of the regulars decided to hold an afternoon meetup with the others, and so, we met in his back yard. No more than six or seven of us, and we were all appropriately spaced at least six feet apart in a rough circle, but we could still trade barbs and BS like we always did, maybe just in a louder voice to carry the distance. No handshakes or high-fives, of course. It was BYOB, and bring your own lawn chair, but it was something I desperately needed.
It wasn't a long meetup. Maybe a couple of hours at most. After all, we were drinking beer, and our host understandably did not want anybody using his bathroom (and we didn't want to use it either). But we stayed safely distanced, nobody coughed or sneezed, and I hope that we can do it again sometime. It was great to speak with the guys in person again.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:24 AM

It's 2 months today since I started working at home. The first month or so I did go out of the house once a week for groceries and other supplies, at first without mask and then with when the Maryland gov said we should start wearing them.

I haven't been out in the last three weeks though, since I drove to the doctor's to get a swab test. The test was negative, but i'm coughing and did have a sort of heaviness in my lower chest, so we (Dr. and I) agreed that it's better if I isolate to be on the safe side. I have everything delivered in and left at the front door. If it's nice out, I'll go sit on the patio, but I haven't been beyond the front gate to get the mail and leave out/take in the trash can. It's sort of like being under house arrest, or a posh 6-room solitary confinement with cats and computer. It's going to feel very weird when I do start to go out again after this is over.

Last edited by Miss Mapp; 05-12-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
As much as it sucks, of course it will be allowed someday. This year.
I wish I could share your optimism. But, the viral genie isn't going back in the bottle, and what will be different in December from today?

One of the advantages of a pessimistic outlook is that all my surprises are pleasant ones. But, I'm not surprised all that often.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:31 AM

I am alone. My routine is just wake up, work (I work a remote job,) eat, sleep, buy groceries or things as needed, spend a few more hours on computer, call friends, walk around, sleep.