Old 04-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Check in here (if you like) if you have (or have pending) your stimulus check

I heard on NPR that they would start showing up today for those with direct deposit info already with the IRS. Ours showed up in pending status this morning.

Anyone else?
Old 04-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Now pending, effective date 4/15.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I heard on NPR that they would start showing up today for those with direct deposit info already with the IRS. Ours showed up in pending status this morning.

Anyone else?
Where should I look to see if mine is in a pending status? My online checking account(s)?
Old 04-13-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Where should I look to see if mine is in a pending status? My online checking account(s)?
Check the same account that would get your directly deposited federal income tax refund, if you ever got one. Deposits generally show a "pending" status, when you look online, for 2-5 days after the date the bank is notified.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Got it. I had my last year's tax return split between my checking account and kaylasmom's. Neither one is showing anything yet.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:15 PM

Not surprising, but nothing so far. Though my refund came within a couple weeks of me filing.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:17 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

It's currently pending in our checking account. Got our federal refund on 4/1.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:21 PM

Bank of America user here. No sign yet. Hoping it shows up in 2-3 days.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:37 PM

Checked account that we use with the IRS. Nothing.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:32 PM

Nothing yet. Not even a “pending.”
Old 04-13-2020, 06:00 PM

In a few days, you can check on this site things like your payment status and how the payment will arrive. I think that part goes active on the 17th.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:03 PM

Is there any rhyme or reason as to who gets their checks first?
Old 04-13-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
From here.
Quote:
The IRS announcement last Friday didn’t get into specifics on its timeline to cut checks, but here’s an estimated timetable, according to federal lawmakers, as of last week.

• The IRS is planning to send a first wave for the week that starts April 13, according to an expected timeline from the House Ways and Means Committee.

The tax authority will transmit 60 million payments via direct deposit, using the banking information it has on file for taxpayers’ 2018 or 2019 tax returns, the timetable said.

That wave will include Social Security recipients who filed tax returns and included direct deposit information on their returns, according to the House Ways and Means’ estimated timeline.

• The second wave will go to Social Security recipients who did not file 2018 or 2019 returns and receive their benefits through direct deposit.

• In early May, the IRS will start mailing paper checks to households, at a rate of 5 million per week. The paper checks will first go to the households with the lowest adjusted gross incomes, and continue upwards.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
From this list, they may be going by small banks first, but it really seems to make no rhyme or sense.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:41 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I've used the same account for our tax refund each of the four years I've filed since returning to the US including this year's 2019 return. Checked today, but nada, not even a "Pending."

Last edited by Siam Sam; 04-13-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Hasn't arrived yet. Doesn't matter because it will go into savings and remain unspent.

Not gloating. The stimulus money is an advance on one's 2020 federal income tax return. Since I have to pay every year, I'm saving it because I will have to return the full stimulus amount plus what I normally owe.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:19 PM

My mother indicated that she heard from her sister that a friend of her sister's husband received theirs. That's the best I've got.

Last edited by glowacks; 04-13-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Not gloating. The stimulus money is an advance on one's 2020 federal income tax return. Since I have to pay every year, I'm saving it because I will have to return the full stimulus amount plus what I normally owe.
Technically correct (the best kind!) but incomplete. The stimulus is an advance on next year's return, but it is also a $1200 credit towards next year's taxes. It is supplementary, not simply an advance.

So that half a trillion bucks gets to hit NEXT year's tax receipts. Woo!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:16 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Pending at my credit union.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:16 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash2k View Post
Now pending, effective date 4/15.
Same here. We're both Social Security recipients who use direct deposit for IRS type things.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Pending at my credit union.
Same for us. Supposed to be deposited tomorrow (4/15).
Old 04-14-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Hasn't arrived yet. Doesn't matter because it will go into savings and remain unspent.

Not accurate.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-stimulus-check/

The mention of a credit for 2020 was a mere workaround so that money could be distributed sooner. Pretend that the law says "free money." This will not change what you owe or receive next year.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:53 PM

Here is an issue I have. A client is married filing jointly. For last year's tax return they used a bank account solely in his wife's name. His wife has also piled up massive credit card debts with that same bank that she defaulted on.

If the stimulus check is sent to that bank, then the bank will take it to satisfy the unpaid debt. He wants to ensure that the IRS direct deposits the check in their new joint account so that doesn't happen.

However, there seems to be no way to do that because the tool to update the bank information does not go online until AFTER many of the direct deposits go out. This guy needs to just hope that the government holds off for him until the tool becomes available.

It is pretty silly to send out direct deposits before there is a way to ensure that it is not going to a closed or indebted account.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Here is an issue I have. A client is married filing jointly. For last year's tax return they used a bank account solely in his wife's name. His wife has also piled up massive credit card debts with that same bank that she defaulted on.

If the stimulus check is sent to that bank, then the bank will take it to satisfy the unpaid debt. He wants to ensure that the IRS direct deposits the check in their new joint account so that doesn't happen.

However, there seems to be no way to do that because the tool to update the bank information does not go online until AFTER many of the direct deposits go out. This guy needs to just hope that the government holds off for him until the tool becomes available.

It is pretty silly to send out direct deposits before there is a way to ensure that it is not going to a closed or indebted account.
My bank won't accept a joint return unless both names are on the account, so possibly he could talk to the bank and let them know he doesn't consent for his share of the stimulus going into her account. That's a bank-by-bank decision.

The reason that deposits show up as 'pending' before they actually hit the account is so that the bank can reject them and tell the IRS that it is a closed or other ineligible account (but an indebted account is another matter).
Old 04-14-2020, 01:20 PM

Mine is pending in my bank account
Old 04-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I received an e-mail from my bank this morning saying they expect to start receiving the payments tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Not accurate.

[url] This will not change what you owe or receive next year.
It can increase what you receive next year.

If the amount of stimulus you are entitled to based on your 2020 return is larger than the amount you received during 2020, you will get the difference. If it is less, you will not have to pay back the difference.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
From this list, they may be going by small banks first, but it really seems to make no rhyme or sense.
Interesting. My bank is a small credit union (not on that list).
Old 04-14-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:

It is illegal in the United States for banks to take money from deposit accounts to satisfy credit card debt without either the depositor's consent or a levy order. 15 USC § 1666h
Old 04-14-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

It appeared in the account I use for my federal tax payments/refunds today.

And yeah, Duckster, the advance credit is structured so that your final net tax obligation in April of 2021 (for those eligible under the earning threshold) is to be unchanged unless you become eligible for more credit.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 04-14-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Ours is pending in our bank account to be deposited tomorrow. We were just barely under the AGI threshold to get the full amount in 2019 - go us, I guess.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not accurate.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-stimulus-check/

The mention of a credit for 2020 was a mere workaround so that money could be distributed sooner. Pretend that the law says "free money." This will not change what you owe or receive next year.
The stimulus money is unfunded. There is nothing in the legislation stating where the money to pay for the checks is coming from. The government has to pay for this money by either (1) raising taxes, (2) selling debt, (3) selling assets, or any combination of the three. The legislation does not address any of this. And let's not foreget the rest of the stimulus package going to the uber-wealthy. You can bet they will be getting it as free money, paid for by someone else.

A fourth option is in the form of a "rebate." And that is in the legislation. Unless Congress passes new legislation addressing how to pay for the stimulus using one or more of the methods above, those getting a stimulus check will be on the hook somewhere down the road and will have to pay it back. Of course, if that happens, it will be a different Congress and hopefully, a different president, who will endure the wrath of the taxpayers.

Last edited by Duckster; 04-14-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
The stimulus money is unfunded. There is nothing in the legislation stating where the money to pay for the checks is coming from. The government has to pay for this money by either (1) raising taxes, (2) selling debt, (3) selling assets, or any combination of the three. The legislation does not address any of this. And let's not foreget the rest of the stimulus package going to the uber-wealthy. You can bet they will be getting it as free money, paid for by someone else.

A fourth option is in the form of a "rebate." And that is in the legislation. Unless Congress passes new legislation addressing how to pay for the stimulus using one or more of the methods above, those getting a stimulus check will be on the hook somewhere down the road and will have to pay it back. Of course, if that happens, it will be a different Congress and hopefully, a different president, who will endure the wrath of the taxpayers.
Legislation authorizing funding doesn't have to specify how it is funded, and that is true whether the legislation is for a stimulus or a new aircraft carrier; the Treasury is responsible for figuring where the money is coming from. The main tool the Treasury has is selling debt, which they are already doing.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:39 AM

AHA! I just checked my e-mail on Tuesday 4/14 at about 23:30 and found this there, apparently sent from my bank about a half hour ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Alert From (Bank) about a Direct Deposit
This is an Alert to help manage your account ending in [xxxx].

A recent $1,200.00 Direct Deposit posted on Apr 15, 2020 at 1:56 AM ET to your account was more than $1.00 limit in your Alerts settings.

Last edited by Senegoid; 04-15-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Damn, my bank isn't even on the list!

Also, no "pending" on the account.

Hm....
Old 04-15-2020, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
AHA! I just checked my e-mail on Tuesday 4/14 at about 23:30 and found this there, apparently sent from my bank about a half hour ago!
I checked my online banking information about half an hour ago, and found a deposit pending for April 15 for the full amount of our stimulus.

Which was a little odd, because my last tax return directed a little over a third of it into kaylasmom's checking account (I also checked that online, and made certain there was no stimulus money pending deposit into hers). So I found a branch of her bank that will be open tomorrow and made an appointment to close the account.

And possibly a further data point that does NOT support the hypothesis that small banks are being handled first: My bank is Chase.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 04-15-2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

"Stimulus Checks May Be Delayed Because Trump Wants His Name Printed On Them"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels...s#3e1b62ae0c15
Old 04-15-2020, 02:50 AM

Well my bank is on that list as 4/15 but I have no deposit and no pending. Am most definitely very much under the $75,000 threshold.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:55 AM

As I'll be getting a paper check, I don't expect it until mid-May. Oh, well.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:06 AM

Showed up about an hour ago; already moved into savings.

Was bad, and did go buy a book on Amazon.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
It is illegal in the United States for banks to take money from deposit accounts to satisfy credit card debt without either the depositor's consent or a levy order. 15 USC § 1666h
Not sure how accurate this source is.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...ght-seize-1200
Quote:
"Congress did give Treasury the authority under Section 2201(h) of the CARES Act to write rules exempting the payments from private debt collectors," Dayen noted, but the Treasury Department—headed by former Goldman Sachs executive Steve Mnuchin—has thus far refused to exercise that authority despite pressure from Democratic members of Congress and state attorneys general.
Stimulus money has been deposited into my account! So I guess "the list" might not be full of baloney after all.

Last edited by Skypist; 04-15-2020 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Breaking news!
Old 04-15-2020, 06:43 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Pending payment has manifested in actual dollars.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Ours showed up as pending this morning. We made well under the threshold in 2018 and 2019, but because I converted some conventional IRA money to Roth back in March our 2020 income will be over the limit. I don't know how that will work out for us, technically the stimulus payment is an advance of a 2020 credit, but as far as I know there's no mechanism for the IRS to take it back, at least as of now.

I've no plans to do anything different with the cash, I just went to my Vanguard account and skipped my next two monthly distributions. It should be a cash neutral transaction for me.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
Ours showed up as pending this morning. We made well under the threshold in 2018 and 2019, but because I converted some conventional IRA money to Roth back in March our 2020 income will be over the limit. I don't know how that will work out for us, technically the stimulus payment is an advance of a 2020 credit, but as far as I know there's no mechanism for the IRS to take it back, at least as of now.

Here is what the CARES Act says:
Quote:
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The amount of credit
10 which would (but for this paragraph) be allowable
11 under this section shall be reduced (but not below
12 zero) by the aggregate refunds and credits made or
13 allowed to the taxpayer under subsection (f).
Subsection (f) is the section that authorizes the advance payments in 2020 based on your 2018 or 2019 return.

Note the words "but not below zero." Those are the key words. The credit you are entitled to next year will be reduced by the payment you received this year, but not below zero. So, if you are entitled to a larger credit next year, you will get the difference next year. If you are entitled to a smaller credit, you will not have to pay anything back.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Mine is showing up as "pending" this morning.

My mother's is not -- she files tax returns, but the IRS doesn't have her direct deposit information on file. She does receive her Social Security payments via direct deposit though, so I'm guessing she will be in the second wave of payments.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:50 AM

Both my daughter and I received them this morning. Hers already has been divvied up into her savings accounts, mine is still sitting there, looking pretty.

Haven't seen any at work yet. Unfortunately, the stimulus payments are being treated the same as a "normal" federal intercept, so if a person is certified for intercepts and owes arrears on child support cases, the payment will be garnished. To add insult to injury, the payments will apply first to any public assistance arrears, so the custodial parent may not receive anything either. I consider it bullshit, but my opinion doesn't count. Then again, the vast majority of my clients don't bother filing taxes anyways....
Old 04-15-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Showed up about an hour ago; already moved into savings.

Was bad, and did go buy a book on Amazon.
(Hearing my father's voice): And this is why you will never have anything nice. Always wasting your money.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Count the money!

De Monet.....

Pending since yesterday in the bank. Computer claims I can move it now to savings. Will wait for it to not be pending to do repairs around the house.

I wonder though how will it go for the ones that have to get the check by mail, there are reports that Trump is delaying that just to have his signature in the checks. If there are delays for that... Ace hardware is still open and has a sale right now on torches and pitchforks.

Ok, rakes, but close enough.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 04-15-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:50 AM

Got it. Looks like it was for me + wife + our youngest still living at home.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:55 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Looks like mine showed up overnight.

Hot tub, here I come.