Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-15-2020, 09:57 AM
RingsOfPylon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 164
Capital One posted this morning. Was not there yesterday morning.
  #52  
Old 04-15-2020, 10:06 AM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,467
Just checking to see if I read the bill right. Correct me if Iím wrong, I believe my daughter wonít get anything. She is 20 years old and currently out of work as a waitress. Since she is living at home and she was claimed as a dependent on my taxes Iím thinking she gets nothing.

Iím still working and getting my full pay so itís fine that Iím not getting anything. It stinks for my daughter who is getting about $250 a week in unemployment until it runs out.
  #53  
Old 04-15-2020, 10:17 AM
Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 11,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Just checking to see if I read the bill right. Correct me if Iím wrong, I believe my daughter wonít get anything. She is 20 years old and currently out of work as a waitress. Since she is living at home and she was claimed as a dependent on my taxes Iím thinking she gets nothing.

Iím still working and getting my full pay so itís fine that Iím not getting anything. It stinks for my daughter who is getting about $250 a week in unemployment until it runs out.
She would be eligible for the supplemental unemployment benefits, though, wouldn't she?
  #54  
Old 04-15-2020, 10:41 AM
Kovitlac is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 697
Just got mine in this morning! Technically it's pending, but it shows up in my balance, so it's good enough for me!

Already paid off the last $250 on my car, and made a significant dent in my cc bill (mostly from repairs for said car, ugh...). With my car alone, that's about $160 or so I'm now saving every month. Feels good, man!
  #55  
Old 04-15-2020, 10:45 AM
mbh is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 5,150
04/15/2020, it's "processing".

I Hope the SBA can do theirs as quickly. My employer needs it far worse than I do.
  #56  
Old 04-15-2020, 11:08 AM
susan's Avatar
susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 10,328
Not yet.
  #57  
Old 04-15-2020, 11:14 AM
John Bredin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: BuffaloGrove IL (Chicago)
Posts: 2,194
Received this morning in my Bank of America account, wasn't there last night. While it's marked as processing, it was also included in my available balance and I was able to move the entire sum to my savings account.
  #58  
Old 04-15-2020, 11:49 AM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
She would be eligible for the supplemental unemployment benefits, though, wouldn't she?
I will have to see if she needs to do more than she has to get that.
  #59  
Old 04-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Randolph is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NxnyC
Posts: 1,246
Got it this morning, via my small to mid-sized bank, after filing normally last year. It'll definitely help out, 'cause even though I'm still gainfully four-fifths employed (for now), shit's all weird, yo.
  #60  
Old 04-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 19,574
$1500 direct deposit today, despite the fact that I continue to work and draw my federal salary, and that neither I nor my wife (filing jointly) ought to qualify under any of the rules I had heard of.

Stupid shit.
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #61  
Old 04-15-2020, 01:14 PM
suranyi is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
From this list, they may be going by small banks first, but it really seems to make no rhyme or sense.
Based on that list, most banks got it today. I did as well, at Bank of America.
__________________
Right now, itís Girlsí Generation. Tomorrow, itís Girlsí Generation. Forever, itís Girlsí Generation!
  #62  
Old 04-15-2020, 01:50 PM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,681
I am used to Federal and state deposits to arrive overnight, I get up, its not there, then tomorrow, maybe. Some of what I'm reading suggests that in this case, it may be later in the day? Have i got that right? (Wells Fargo, 4/15, it says)
  #63  
Old 04-15-2020, 02:45 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
$1500 direct deposit today, despite the fact that I continue to work and draw my federal salary, and that neither I nor my wife (filing jointly) ought to qualify under any of the rules I had heard of.

Stupid shit.
If filed jointly, your limit was higher, for couples the stimulus was $2400, the income limit was $150,000 for married couples. The payments start shrinking above that level.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 04-15-2020 at 02:45 PM.
  #64  
Old 04-15-2020, 03:17 PM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Distanced
Posts: 16,466
Heck, my CU is on the list as for today, but it was in the balance as of close-of-business yesterday. So it seems Treasury is moving tranches of payments out as they get their information confirmed.

And yeah, Loach, because of her status (adult dependent) she does not get "Stimulus" but if she's collecting unemployment she should qualify for the extra benefit -- the NJ Labor Dept or whichever is the responsible office should be the place to go for reliable answers; for many people across the country the guidelines and rules are not yet squared away with their respective states (because it's a different unemplpyment insurance law in each state), but AFAK in many cases it would be near-automatic immediately when they are.
  #65  
Old 04-15-2020, 03:21 PM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Distanced
Posts: 16,466
Heck, my CU is on the list as for today, but it was in the balance as of close-of-business yesterday. So it seems Treasury is moving tranches of payments out as they get their information confirmed.

And yeah, Loach, because of her status (adult dependent) she does not get "Stimulus" but if she's collecting unemployment she should qualify for the extra benefit -- the NJ Labor Dept or whichever is the responsible office should be the place to go for reliable answers; for many people across the country the guidelines and rules are not yet squared away with their respective states (because it's a different unemplpyment insurance law in each state), but AFAK in many cases it would be near-automatic immediately when they are.
  #66  
Old 04-15-2020, 03:35 PM
sishoch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Socorro
Posts: 177
Got our deposit today. It will stay in savings for now.
  #67  
Old 04-15-2020, 03:36 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 47,736
Got ours today, the full amount since our joint retired income isn't that high.
Much is going to the local food bank.
  #68  
Old 04-15-2020, 03:42 PM
The Undeposable Hand is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Mine was deposited into my BB&T account this morning.
  #69  
Old 04-15-2020, 04:01 PM
The Undeposable Hand is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Mine was deposited into my BB&T account this morning.
  #70  
Old 04-15-2020, 04:03 PM
blondebear is offline
Shouting Grasshopper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Meridian/280
Posts: 14,832
Can't check because my credit union crashed because of "overwhelming demand".
  #71  
Old 04-15-2020, 04:49 PM
carrps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Can't check because my credit union crashed because of "overwhelming demand".
That was my credit union last night. My sister got her refund, but as of this morning I see nothing. My credit union was not in the list of banks either.
  #72  
Old 04-15-2020, 04:51 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 30,552
And... now mine is showing up as "pending" at my checking account, so I'm on my way.
  #73  
Old 04-15-2020, 06:29 PM
Locrian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Village, CA
Posts: 4,662
Got mine today, $1,200. Woot!
  #74  
Old 04-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 42,053
$2400 for the wife and me, $1200 apiece. Showed up today.
__________________
"Hell is other people." -- Jean-Paul Sartre
  #75  
Old 04-15-2020, 07:16 PM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 17,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
$2400 for the wife and me, $1200 apiece. Showed up today.
Does your wife agree with that allocation of the stimulus funds?
  #76  
Old 04-15-2020, 07:26 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 42,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Does your wife agree with that allocation of the stimulus funds?
Since it went into my savings account, I'm still debating whether to tell her.

Nah, I already told her. She's fine with 50-50.
__________________
"Hell is other people." -- Jean-Paul Sartre
  #77  
Old 04-15-2020, 10:38 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,690
I'm curious, from many of the reactions posted here, some folks don't seem to be in desperate need, at least not at the moment. How do you feel about this program giving so much money to (some of the people) who don't really need it?

I freely confess to being one of those people (well, part of one of those couples) who doesn't need it. Since we are retired we suffered no loss of income; we did suffer a modest loss in the value of our IRA but I expect that to return to what it was before (and more) when businesses are allowed to open again and the stock market comes back. And yet, I am selfishly going to spend the money on maintenance of my home. On Friday I am having parts of my home boiler (hot water and hydronic heat) overhauled (it's in the garage, no strangers in the house). I am having my back deck re-built before it falls out from under our feet, as soon as we are allowed. This money just means I have to dig a little less deeply into savings to accomplish these things. On the other hand, as I understand it, if I were to donate an equal amount to charity I would get a nice big benefit in this year's taxes, maybe 15%. It doesn't seem fair, does it?
  #78  
Old 04-16-2020, 05:07 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 30,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I'm curious, from many of the reactions posted here, some folks don't seem to be in desperate need, at least not at the moment. How do you feel about this program giving so much money to (some of the people) who don't really need it?
There is no bar on you spending the money as you see fit.

I'm currently employed. And I'm getting a modest (very modest) amount of hazard pay. I've already donated more than usual to the local food pantry/social services I support than usual (including about 3 months worth of toilet paper). I am seriously considering donating a significant part of my stimulus to such causes. Or helping out my unemployed neighbors even more directly.

It's your money now. If you feel you don't need it find someone who does and help them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I freely confess to being one of those people (well, part of one of those couples) who doesn't need it. Since we are retired we suffered no loss of income; we did suffer a modest loss in the value of our IRA but I expect that to return to what it was before (and more) when businesses are allowed to open again and the stock market comes back. And yet, I am selfishly going to spend the money on maintenance of my home. On Friday I am having parts of my home boiler (hot water and hydronic heat) overhauled (it's in the garage, no strangers in the house). I am having my back deck re-built before it falls out from under our feet, as soon as we are allowed. This money just means I have to dig a little less deeply into savings to accomplish these things.
Are you doing that work yourself, or employing someone else to do it?

If you're employing someone else you're helping to keep them employed. That's a good thing.

If you're using any form of delivery service tip generously.

Again - there's no bar on you spending the money. That is, actually, the point - for people to spend that money because that's what will keep the economy going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
On the other hand, as I understand it, if I were to donate an equal amount to charity I would get a nice big benefit in this year's taxes, maybe 15%. It doesn't seem fair, does it?
How so?

By all means, donate to charity - due to vastly increased demand for services a LOT of charities need money. That tax benefit is your reward for not being selfish and keeping the money but directing to those who need it more than you do.
  #79  
Old 04-16-2020, 06:42 AM
mandala's Avatar
mandala is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Diamond City, Zeta Prime
Posts: 657
Got it yesterday. For me this is welcome additional income but I do not really need it, as I am full-time employed (for now). But it left me wondering how this one-time payment is going to fulfill the needs of a suddenly-unemployed family for more than a couple of months. Almost certainly a steady monthly infusion of funds will be required for most people who have lost their jobs. I hope the next stimulus package (if there is one in the works) will take a longer-term view of the economic situation.
__________________
I think, therefore I am... I think
  #80  
Old 04-16-2020, 09:13 AM
Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 19,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
If filed jointly, your limit was higher, for couples the stimulus was $2400, the income limit was $150,000 for married couples. The payments start shrinking above that level.
Thanks. My ignorance. I thought the $75/150k was a hard cutoff.

I hadn't paid much attention, because I thought the entire process stupid and unwarranted. Hard to imagine why anyone would think we ought to further bankrupt our kids' future so that a couple earning over $150k, w/ paychecks continuing during the crisis and no additional expenses (hell, actually reduced expenses), ought to get some free cash...
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.

Last edited by Dinsdale; 04-16-2020 at 09:13 AM.
  #81  
Old 04-16-2020, 09:30 AM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Distanced
Posts: 16,466
ISTM, Dinsdale, that in the rush to pass something, now, they just picked a number probably based on some threshold already existing elsewhere in the code. Also let's be honest, it serves the political purpose of keeping a large chunk of the middle class from complaining "oh, so everything is for the corporations or for the unemployed poor, what about me?". Already I've seen people whining that the threshold was too low, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
Got it yesterday. For me this is welcome additional income but I do not really need it, as I am full-time employed (for now). But it left me wondering how this one-time payment is going to fulfill the needs of a suddenly-unemployed family for more than a couple of months. Almost certainly a steady monthly infusion of funds will be required for most people who have lost their jobs. I hope the next stimulus package (if there is one in the works) will take a longer-term view of the economic situation.
That family in your example would likely qualify for the up to $600/week extra unemployment payment until the end of July, by which time something more mid/long term should have been worked on.
  #82  
Old 04-16-2020, 10:02 AM
Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 19,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
ISTM, Dinsdale, that in the rush to pass something, now, they just picked a number probably based on some threshold already existing elsewhere in the code. Also let's be honest, it serves the political purpose of keeping a large chunk of the middle class from complaining "oh, so everything is for the corporations or for the unemployed poor, what about me?". Already I've seen people whining that the threshold was too low, anyway.
...
Oh - I agree. And I'm familiar w/ the economy of just drawing a bright-line, as opposed to actually trying to assess need.

Doesn't change my opinion that it is unnecessary and ill-advised - other than for purposes of political pandering.
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #83  
Old 04-16-2020, 11:33 AM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 17,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Thanks. My ignorance. I thought the $75/150k was a hard cutoff.

I hadn't paid much attention, because I thought the entire process stupid and unwarranted. Hard to imagine why anyone would think we ought to further bankrupt our kids' future so that a couple earning over $150k, w/ paychecks continuing during the crisis and no additional expenses (hell, actually reduced expenses), ought to get some free cash...
On the surface, I agree with you, but I think the idea is that even though that $1500 is a windfall for you and you don't need it, as the economy continues down the crapper, maybe you use the $1500 to buy a new TV or some shiny new toy that will save another person's job.
  #84  
Old 04-16-2020, 01:50 PM
suranyi is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I'm curious, from many of the reactions posted here, some folks don't seem to be in desperate need, at least not at the moment. How do you feel about this program giving so much money to (some of the people) who don't really need it?

I freely confess to being one of those people (well, part of one of those couples) who doesn't need it. Since we are retired we suffered no loss of income; we did suffer a modest loss in the value of our IRA but I expect that to return to what it was before (and more) when businesses are allowed to open again and the stock market comes back. And yet, I am selfishly going to spend the money on maintenance of my home. On Friday I am having parts of my home boiler (hot water and hydronic heat) overhauled (it's in the garage, no strangers in the house). I am having my back deck re-built before it falls out from under our feet, as soon as we are allowed. This money just means I have to dig a little less deeply into savings to accomplish these things. On the other hand, as I understand it, if I were to donate an equal amount to charity I would get a nice big benefit in this year's taxes, maybe 15%. It doesn't seem fair, does it?
You make a good point. However the paperwork required to test everyone to see who really ďqualifiesĒ would take months. Much faster to send everyone under a certain max income the same amount.

Giving to people who really need it is a great idea, if you can afford it.
__________________
Right now, itís Girlsí Generation. Tomorrow, itís Girlsí Generation. Forever, itís Girlsí Generation!
  #85  
Old 04-16-2020, 02:42 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I'm curious, from many of the reactions posted here, some folks don't seem to be in desperate need, at least not at the moment. How do you feel about this program giving so much money to (some of the people) who don't really need it?
I'm puzzled by it. I had originally planned to put my payment toward some automotive upgrades, but it's looking more likely that it will be going to worthy charities - the food bank at my university has already gotten a contribution. It just seems odd that it's up to the people who get the money to decide to direct it to places to help those in need. (You could almost make comparisons to food distribution in general; look at the amounts of milk and produce being destroyed because it can't be sold.) And why did I -- someone who's still employed full-time in an essential industry -- get a payment before someone like my mom, who's essentially on a fixed income? She has retirement income in addition to Social Security, so she's fine, but others on fixed incomes aren't ok even in normal circumstances. (And no, the IRS portal that's supposed to show you the status of your payment is working for her.)
  #86  
Old 04-16-2020, 03:26 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,962
Had to wait a few hours for the IRS site to uncrash, but eventually was able to get in and according to them my $1200 was deposited yesterday (4/15). Will check on that and confirm tomorrow.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 04-16-2020 at 03:26 PM.
  #87  
Old 04-17-2020, 02:47 PM
wahsahzii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27

Nope


First try, IRS site said they did not have my DD info. I've been using DD for 20 years. This past year I owed money and scheduled the withdrawal for 4/10. They withdrew it on 4/10. WTF.
Second try, no status available because they haven't processed my return yet. The one they withdrew the money for. Still WTF.
I'm still working, but one of my kids is not and is running into the same kinds of problems with both unemployment and the IRS, so I could use the money to help him out.
  #88  
Old 04-17-2020, 03:58 PM
eenerms is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finally...Wisc...!
Posts: 3,115
Got ours yesterday. Donating most of it to local food pantry.
  #89  
Old 04-17-2020, 07:14 PM
galen ubal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Central VIC Australia
Posts: 3,001
N/M, wrong thread
__________________
Salvator apiae.

Last edited by galen ubal; 04-17-2020 at 07:15 PM.
  #90  
Old 04-17-2020, 07:36 PM
River Hippie's Avatar
River Hippie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N.E. Indiana, USA
Posts: 6,014
Mine's in my account. Dated 4-15.

Last edited by River Hippie; 04-17-2020 at 07:38 PM.
  #91  
Old 04-17-2020, 09:57 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
You make a good point. However the paperwork required to test everyone to see who really ďqualifiesĒ would take months. Much faster to send everyone under a certain max income the same amount.

Giving to people who really need it is a great idea, if you can afford it.
I get that, and I wasn't advocating a delay, but the threshold seems very high to me. If they were going to rush, I would rather they had rushed at least the low-income people that they know about, before people like me who aren't suffering.
  #92  
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 AM
Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 19,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
On the surface, I agree with you, but I think the idea is that even though that $1500 is a windfall for you and you don't need it, as the economy continues down the crapper, maybe you use the $1500 to buy a new TV or some shiny new toy that will save another person's job.
Yeah, but as I see it, at my historical earning level, and having saved responsibly and lived w/in my means, my current generous income is plenty to allow me to buy any number of $1500 TVs - as we wait for our savings to recover.

I know the government pisses away huge sums of money all the time. Just a little different when I see the $ so directly affecting me.
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #93  
Old 04-18-2020, 05:01 PM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 17,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Yeah, but as I see it, at my historical earning level, and having saved responsibly and lived w/in my means, my current generous income is plenty to allow me to buy any number of $1500 TVs - as we wait for our savings to recover.

I know the government pisses away huge sums of money all the time. Just a little different when I see the $ so directly affecting me.
I see your point and it is valid. However, we have debates on this board all of the time about economic policy.

Republicans tend to be supply siders, saying that incentives for the rich and business owners will create jobs and thereby cause prosperity to "trickle down" to the middle and lower classes.

Democrats tend to be demand siders, saying that if we increase the minimum wage and have a robust social safety net that the economy will prosper because there are now more consumers out there to buy products and services.

And we hammer that out on this board all of the time. But what we are talking about are normal times. This economic situation is not normal and is not caused by a lack of top down business structure. People are staying in their homes, losing their jobs, and not able to purchase goods and services. Whichever side is right in normal times, this economic situation is a demand side issue and requires a demand side resolution.

Which is where your $1,500 comes in. Without having access to your financial statements, you seem fairly well off. No worries about the grocery bill, the rent/mortgage (if you even have one), and no worries about enjoying some of the finer things.

However, this does stop completely at $200k/yr for a married couple, so we are not talking about Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos using an extra $2,400 for imported caviar. So the idea is to keep stimulating demand in the area where most Americans fall. If you got anything, assuming you are married, your makes less than $200k/yr. A very nice living without question, but it is not Jeff Bezos rich.

So you will still go out and buy some things that will help people keep their jobs. Even if you put it in your savings account, you are helping the bottom line of your bank which will help others get home and car loans.

Yeah, it could have been tailored a little better, but with the need to get money in the economy NOW, this seems reasonable enough. Any more tailored rules would still have suffered from different problems of over and under inclusiveness.
  #94  
Old 04-18-2020, 06:35 PM
Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 11,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Yeah, but as I see it, at my historical earning level, and having saved responsibly and lived w/in my means, my current generous income is plenty to allow me to buy any number of $1500 TVs - as we wait for our savings to recover.

I know the government pisses away huge sums of money all the time. Just a little different when I see the $ so directly affecting me.
If you don't need the money, there are tons of people who desperately need way more than $2400, and it's only going to get worse for a while. Why don't you donate it however you think is most appropriate?
  #95  
Old 04-18-2020, 08:08 PM
Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 19,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
If you don't need the money, there are tons of people who desperately need way more than $2400, and it's only going to get worse for a while. Why don't you donate it however you think is most appropriate?
Ahh - that is where the rubber hits the road, eh?
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #96  
Old 04-19-2020, 12:51 AM
flatlined is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: high desert
Posts: 4,535
We are not getting a check. A friend who is on SSDS and VA Disability doesn't file taxes. His check will be mailed to the address Social Security has on the 24th.
  #97  
Old 04-19-2020, 02:03 PM
Patx2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,971
Nothing yet, and I canít get an update, it keeps saying our eligibility cannot be verified. We filed our 2018 taxes and paid. We havenít filed 2019 yet, because weíre waiting for the stimulus check so we can send part of it back. I canít even get in to give direct deposit information, itís frustrating.
  #98  
Old 04-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Alley Dweller's Avatar
Alley Dweller is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
Nothing yet, and I canít get an update, it keeps saying our eligibility cannot be verified. We filed our 2018 taxes and paid. We havenít filed 2019 yet, because weíre waiting for the stimulus check so we can send part of it back. I canít even get in to give direct deposit information, itís frustrating.
If by "send part of it back" you mean use it to pay your 2019 taxes, you don't have to pay your taxes at the same time you file. You can file now and wait until July 15 to pay without penalty. Even if you can't come up with the money to pay by July 15, you should file on time anyway because the Failure to File penalty is TEN TIMES as much as the Failure to Pay penalty.

If the tax program you are using insists that you specify a payment method, just say that you are going to send a check by mail. That doesn't obligate you to send a check by mail. You can still use one of the many electronic payment methods on the IRS web site even if you said you would send a check by mail.
  #99  
Old 04-19-2020, 07:08 PM
Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 11,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Ahh - that is where the rubber hits the road, eh?
No, it's an actual suggestion. It seems like you think it was irresponsible of the Feds to implement this program. Maybe you know someone personally who is in need who you believe would use the money responsibly. You are obviously free to ignore the suggestion.

Last edited by Eva Luna; 04-19-2020 at 07:10 PM.
  #100  
Old 04-21-2020, 12:16 AM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 26,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
And yeah, Loach, because of her status (adult dependent) she does not get "Stimulus" but if she's collecting unemployment she should qualify for the extra benefit -- the NJ Labor Dept or whichever is the responsible office should be the place to go for reliable answers; for many people across the country the guidelines and rules are not yet squared away with their respective states (because it's a different unemplpyment insurance law in each state), but AFAK in many cases it would be near-automatic immediately when they are.
Yes the first $600 payment hit today. They were a little behind on that.

Now sheís making a lot more per week than when she was working. And sheís not spending and eating all the free food Iím providing. Guess who is going to be paying her own car payment until this is over?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017