Old 04-26-2020, 08:59 PM

I know someone who receives Social Security by direct deposit and who files tax returns (although with no direct deposit information for refunds--he applies refunds to next year's taxes). IRS is going to mail his check out May 1.

Why are they mailing out the check when they could simply send it to the same bank as Social Security is deposited in?
Old 04-27-2020, 05:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
I know someone who receives Social Security by direct deposit and who files tax returns (although with no direct deposit information for refunds--he applies refunds to next year's taxes). IRS is going to mail his check out May 1.

Why are they mailing out the check when they could simply send it to the same bank as Social Security is deposited in?
Because the IRS is using the direct deposit information they have to send the checks - if they don't have direct deposit information for him he gets a paper check.

Contrary to many peoples' assumptions, the various government agencies don't really talk to each other or share information. The IRS either doesn't have access to the SS information or don't want to dig through someone else's database.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Because the IRS is using the direct deposit information they have to send the checks - if they don't have direct deposit information for him he gets a paper check.

Contrary to many peoples' assumptions, the various government agencies don't really talk to each other or share information. The IRS either doesn't have access to the SS information or don't want to dig through someone else's database.
The IRS doesn't even share among themselves. I just recently paid off a tax bill. They were taking payments directly out of my bank account (my choice), and I STILL had to give them my account info in order to get my stimulus direct deposit.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

i checked my mail bin yest., and there was a letter from the treasury department. odd, hopefully i'm not being audited. opens letter, huh, turns out "someone" wants to be sure his name is on something, and the letter was informing me that i would get xxxx amount directly deposited thanks to "someone".

"someone" found a work around for those that were not getting a paper check with his name on it.

i enjoyed shredding it.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:51 PM

I'm gonna burn mine (the stub, note); nice, pretty flame.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chair View Post
i checked my mail bin yest., and there was a letter from the treasury department. odd, hopefully i'm not being audited. opens letter, huh, turns out "someone" wants to be sure his name is on something, and the letter was informing me that i would get xxxx amount directly deposited thanks to "someone".

"someone" found a work around for those that were not getting a paper check with his name on it.

i enjoyed shredding it.
I got one of those today, even though I got my payment almost 2 weeks ago. What a waste of taxpayer dollars. What a bizarre signature, I'd be interested to know what graphologists make of it.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

I applied back on April 13, the day I saw this thread. Still haven't gotten a deposit. I don't need it, so no big deal.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Spoke too soon. I see that it's pending at my CU.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:34 PM

Still waiting for mine.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:48 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:

i enjoyed shredding it.
I tossed my Trumpletter into the common trashcan at the complex mailbox. Then I immediately washed my hands for longer than the recommended 20 seconds to get the stink off.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:11 AM

I have mine! It was deposited into my checking account this morning. I don't really need it right now, so i transferred it into my savings account in case of an emergency.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post

I'm on SSDI. SS has my banking info and directly deposits my check every month. I received my stimulus payment directly into my account, I didn't have to wait for a check. So the IRS is apparently receiving the info from Social Security.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:43 AM

After several days of checking and getting the message that my info was not available, one day last week, magically, I got a screen that asked me for bank account info and tax return info, which I dutifully entered. Now I'm getting:
Quote:
Payment Status

You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.

We will deposit your payment to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: ************XXXX

Updates to your payment are made no more than once a day. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

If you need additional help or do not receive your payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
In invisible ink: Stop bugging us!

I do get Social Security deposited to that account. Would this $$ have been deposited there if I hadn't filled out the info? Who knows? Some of my friends have gotten theirs without needing to go to this screen.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 04-29-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

My mom finally got the screen described by ThelmaLou and was able to enter her checking account info. There were also a couple of questions about her 2019 tax return -- they wanted to know gross income and whether she had gotten a refund or owed money. There was no place to explain that she qualified for a refund because she had overpaid, but that she opted to have that refund applied to 2020's estimated taxes. She didn't owe money, but she didn't receive the refund money. The site seemed to accept the responses she gave, so we'll see what happens.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Still waiting for mine.
Got it, this morning!
Old 04-29-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
After several days of checking and getting the message that my info was not available, one day last week, magically, I got a screen that asked me for bank account info and tax return info, which I dutifully entered. Now I'm getting:
In invisible ink: Stop bugging us!

I do get Social Security deposited to that account. Would this $$ have been deposited there if I hadn't filled out the info? Who knows? Some of my friends have gotten theirs without needing to go to this screen.
You and I are in the exact same situation, so I appreciate you having boldly gone where I had not, and taking the time to share the results.

Based on this post, I went ahead and tried again on the website and finally got the screen you shared. Just now entered my bank information -- which, like you, they already have due to SSI. I'm semi-retired, self-employed and always owe taxes. Always. (Last year was brutal, thanks to our new tax code.) Have not yet prepared or paid 2019 tax but entered information for 2018 as directed.

We'll see what happens and when.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I'm on SSDI. SS has my banking info and directly deposits my check every month. I received my stimulus payment directly into my account, I didn't have to wait for a check. So the IRS is apparently receiving the info from Social Security.
Same here with me and mom. We are both on Social Security and we both got our stimulus checks deposited this morning. And we get our monthly checks deposited Friday(because the May 3rd is a Sunday) so we will both have over $2000 in our bank accounts.

I can't speak for my mother but that will the most money I have ever had in my bank account. (I am in mid-40s for reference).
Old 05-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:

i enjoyed shredding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
I'm gonna burn mine (the stub, note); nice, pretty flame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I got one of those today, even though I got my payment almost 2 weeks ago. What a waste of taxpayer dollars. What a bizarre signature, I'd be interested to know what graphologists make of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I tossed my Trumpletter into the common trashcan at the complex mailbox. Then I immediately washed my hands for longer than the recommended 20 seconds to get the stink off.
Used our letter as toilet paper. Thought about mailing it to the White House but decided against it.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
You and I are in the exact same situation, so I appreciate you having boldly gone where I had not, and taking the time to share the results.

Based on this post, I went ahead and tried again on the website and finally got the screen you shared. Just now entered my bank information -- which, like you, they already have due to SSI. I'm semi-retired, self-employed and always owe taxes. Always. (Last year was brutal, thanks to our new tax code.) Have not yet prepared or paid 2019 tax but entered information for 2018 as directed.

We'll see what happens and when.
LOL, what a rigamarole. After doing the above, today the website advises me they will be "mailing" out the payment on May 8th to the address they have on file for me. So why the hell did they need my bank information, which they already had due to auto deposit of monthly SSI payments?

I'd say what I plan to do with the money, but it's political and I guess we're not allowed to discuss politics in this forum.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Just checked today - I input our bank account information a week ago yesterday, and we are apparently scheduled to have our payment deposited this coming Wednesday. Hopefully there are no glitches.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
Just checked today - I input our bank account information a week ago yesterday, and we are apparently scheduled to have our payment deposited this coming Wednesday. Hopefully there are no glitches.
I finally got that message this morning, too. We'll see.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
Same here. The IRS site tells me that I will receive the deposit this Wednesday, May 6.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:50 PM

Also exciting for me, I have finally received the refunds for the vacation we were supposed to have taken a couple of weeks ago, both the airline tickets and one prepaid hotel. Who knows when we'll be able to go on a flying-type vacation again. My credit card has a negative balance now.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

My mom's is supposed to be deposited on May 6th as well, according to the IRS website.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Received on the 30th of April
Old 05-04-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Just a warning to everyone. I received a text message that is an obvious phishing attempt. I don't think anyone here would fall for it, but just in case.
Quote:
David, your stimuIus is pending your confirmation. Must confirm no later than midnight 05.04 link redacted.
The link was of course a string of random characters which I did not click on. No doubt it would display a page asking for information that would allow them to commit some theft such as redirecring my payment.
If you get such a message ignore it and DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!
Old 05-04-2020, 01:28 PM

Received in the mail today, May 4. On the site it said it would be mailed out May 1. [I gave up on checking the site as I kept getting error messages, so when I finally rechecked again it was apparently too late to enter the deposit information.]
Old 05-04-2020, 02:41 PM

The government takes a lot of flack so I'll give them their due. When the program was announced I hadn't filed my 2019 taxes, and I couldn't get on the web site to update my banking info in a week of trying. I filed my taxes and within a couple of weeks an e-mail saying my refund was coming on Thursday, my stimulus check on Friday, both to my current checking account without me having to do anything. I was really expecting a long delay for a paper check at this point, figuring I'd missed the window to update the info.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I still haven't received my stimulus check but I did get a nice gift from President Donald J. Trump. He sent me a check for $1200! His names right there at the bottom. I think that's so cool of him!

I have never cared for him as POTUS--he's an incurious, evil, fuckhead--but now out of the blue he sends me a check. Maybe I should vote for him???
Old 05-04-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I get my Social Security by direct deposit, but my stimulus arrived today as a paper check via USPS.

So they're apparently not getting it from Social Security in all cases; or else they're ignoring it in some cases. Anyway, I've got a check; which I'll proceed to mail to the account they could have deposited it directly in. Luckily, while I need the money, I don't need it right away.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:31 PM

My wife and I got ours several weeks ago. We were really surprised to receive them, as we're now living in Canada (we're still US residents, but living and working up here in the frozen north). I really didn't think we'd get the checks.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:31 AM

The $1,200 just landed in my checking account. I guess I still have to look forward to the letter from Dear Leader. What shall I do with mine? I know: I'll tear it in pieces and every day when I walk Sweetie, I'll put a scrap of it in her poop bag. Starting with the signature. That's appropriate, don't you think?
Old 05-05-2020, 02:52 PM

Advice needed: check received for mom who died 2 years ago

A quick google search tells me that lots of people are getting these. The check even has "DECD" next to her name. Similar to this image. I closed all of my mother's bank accounts well over a year ago.

Apparently, there's no guidance from the IRS, the Treasury Department, or the Great Orange Nincompoop about what to do with it or how to return it. Trump did make a vague statement, "Oh, we'll get that [money] back."

Any other dead people in your life get them? Will the gummint notice if I deposit it in my account? What do you plan to do?

ETA: I filed a tax return for her for 2018, the year she died (in March), but obviously not one for 2019. Who the fuck is running this show anyway? (Never mind.)

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 05-05-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
A quick google search tells me that lots of people are getting these. The check even has "DECD" next to her name. Similar to this image. I closed all of my mother's bank accounts well over a year ago.

Apparently, there's no guidance from the IRS, the Treasury Department, or the Great Orange Nincompoop about what to do with it or how to return it. Trump did make a vague statement, "Oh, we'll get that [money] back."

Any other dead people in your life get them? Will the gummint notice if I deposit it in my account? What do you plan to do?

ETA: I filed a tax return for her for 2018, the year she died (in March), but obviously not one for 2019. Who the fuck is running this show anyway? (Never mind.)
Maybe they figure you can take it with you.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:40 PM

I just got it yesterday. I got my Trump autographed horseshit campaign flyer last week.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Maybe they figure you can take it with you.
I just deposited it in my savings account. My tax preparer said to endorse it: "ThelmaLou Fife, executor for Mary Lou Fife." I did a mobile deposit on my phone, and it just slid into the account without a splash.

The upshot of what I read about this is that if the IRS sends you money and it's their mistake, you can keep it. No cite for this. But if I do get a notice or something down the line, I can still send it back.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

My payment was deposited overnight.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
My payment was deposited overnight.
Ours too. Hallelujah! It saves us from having to transfer money from savings to pay the bills this month.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I heard on NPR that they would start showing up today for those with direct deposit info already with the IRS. Ours showed up in pending status this morning.

Anyone else?
We got it. Ended up being $1900. I was expecting more than that, since we have two dependents.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:58 AM

I'm not getting the stimulus at all, but I was checking online for my daughter and the IRS FAQ at the Get My Payment page answers a lot of this.

My daughter is getting hers direct deposited because she filed taxes in 2019 (and/ or 2018).
The letter is for "security and to comply with the law" or something. Maybe it's like the separate letters I get to tell me about replacement credit cards.
If someone is deceased or has closed the listed bank account for whatever reason, the bank will block the direct deposit and notify IRS. I don't remember what it said about checks.
The website is hard to get into to look up status. Other areas are apparently OK.
Permutations of citizenship status, residency status, and etc. are covered.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

My mom's was direct deposited this morning.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:09 PM

The website just returned a result, after weeks of not matching my info.

"We scheduled your check to be mailed on April 24, 2020 to the address we have on file for you.

We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment."

Fair enough, but I wonder what was going on that they couldn't tell me that back on the 24th. *shrug* Maybe my 2019 (paper) return was still being processed.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:39 PM

Nothing yet.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

My son got his about a week ago.

My daughter will not get one, as she was a dependent on our tax return last year.

We will NOT be getting one - which is fine by us, as we both have jobs.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:01 PM

Redacted - on second thought, might be considered a political shot.

Last edited by cochrane; 05-12-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:06 PM

Still not received.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Got ours.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:10 PM

Arrived in the mail (in Canada). Deposited online to my US credit union: pausing to be grateful for technology.

I'd be more grateful if I could have logged on to the IRS site and given them my direct deposit info. I finally figured it out—they wanted the first 5 / 6 of my Canadian post code (so A1A1A rather than the actual A1A 1A1), but by the time I managed to guess their system, it had already been mailed.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
Arrived in the mail (in Canada). Deposited online to my US credit union: pausing to be grateful for technology.

I'd be more grateful if I could have logged on to the IRS site and given them my direct deposit info. I finally figured it out—they wanted the first 5 / 6 of my Canadian post code (so A1A1A rather than the actual A1A 1A1), but by the time I managed to guess their system, it had already been mailed.
Interesting, I didn't know they were sending it to overseas US residents.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Interesting, I didn't know they were sending it to overseas US residents.
I assume they just forgot to exclude us. But we're on the hook for taxes, so I suppose we might as well get the stimulus! I'm spending 100% of mine in the USA, anyway (paying off debt).