Old 04-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

May these, too, pass (May mini-rants)

Well, another month has bit the dust, and what a month it was. So, what does the new one bring? Hah! You think "April showers bring May flowers" is someting good. Damn flower might as well have been a stinkweed. I think it only rained once here last month so I was not expecting a rose garden. Anyway, what crap is already on deck?
  • Friend's company just eliminated his position. Reason given: "Due to the coronavirus and the collapse of the oil market, we cannot afford to keep your position".
    • Yeah, that's cool. Can someone when it's practically impossible to search for a job right now. Well, you can search, and you can interview, but not all jobs can be done online/remote/work from home. If his company cannot afford to pay someone, then they probably qualify for the payroll protection plan. If they don't qualify, they can afford to keep people on staff.
  • My company announced a new pay policy for those who cannot return to campus next week: that staff will receive 90% of their contracted pay if they are participating in online teaching, but 80% pay if they are not.
    • Okay, and why might someone not be paricipating? It's a bit hard to be doing kindergarten online for that staff and also for the lowest grades of elementary school. because there is no way to do that online, but for those who are working and contributing that's nonsense. When some of that staff complained, the principal of the high school kind of freaked out and messaged eveyrone that the school is not violating the contract, the teachers are for not being on site as "the contract reequires". Uh, no; the contract requires doing the job "as directed". The government and the school administration directed what's happening now regarding employment. Those foreigners cannot return to campus because they cannot return to China, as the Chinese government has banned entry/re-entry of foreign nationals.
  • Morons are still supporting not only the worst president in history, but also the most dangerous man in the country.
    • What the fuck, people? It is blindingly obvious how bad that jackass in the White House now is. He has zero redeeming qualities. He has done nothing to help. In fact, when he has gotten involved, he has literally caused things that are mortally dangerous to others. All he cares about is his glowing image (that's why he uses tan-in-a-can, after all). When he tossed out a number as a benchmark for his metric on how well he's handling this crisis, thank God Almighty he doesn't know any larger numbers.
  • I'm still waiting on an express shipment I posted on 8 April to move beyond the departure airport. Thanks to this pandemic, the number of flights, including cargo flights, has been drasitcially reduced. Cargo flights to and from America from Beijing are now once a month. Passenger flights, IIRC, are now one flight to/from a country per week per airline flying those routes. To keep the routes assigned to them, a number of airlines have changed those aircraft into cargo craft, but that's just in this region.
  • I'm tired of being a geographical bachelor!
    • Yes, my wife is safe where she is, and I'm very happy that her parents have the space, but it's getting on her nerves living with them again and it's certainly getting on mine that she's not here.
  • FUCKING IDIOTS WHO CANNOT FOLLOW SIMPLE RULES!
    • Look, you stupid dirt fuckers; getting food is essential, getting medical help is essential. Going to a church in a crowd is not essential. Hanging out with your pals is not essential. Stop doing stupid shit that is keeping this damn virus spreading.
  • Oh, and the next twerp that says to me "should have went" will need essential dental care.

Last edited by Monty; 04-30-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:40 PM

One more:

Now that the Board is experience a lot of timeouts, can we get the edit time extended? Even previewing doesn't work about half the time for me.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:30 PM

I'm almost afraid to ask what should have went means, but my teeth are safe here. And that just reminded me of Samuel Jackson saying, Say what one more time in Pulp Fiction
Old 04-30-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
One more:

Now that the Board is experience a lot of timeouts, can we get the edit time extended? Even previewing doesn't work about half the time for me.
This. I have lost more stuff
Old 04-30-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask what should have went means, but my teeth are safe here. And that just reminded me of Samuel Jackson saying, Say what one more time in Pulp Fiction

"Should have went" shoud be "should have gone". It's supposedly a step on the way to regularization. The ultimate step is, of course, "should have goed". The first time I actually here that, let's just say I hope the judge likes the word "justified".
Old 04-30-2020, 09:29 PM

My local grocery store didn't have Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Damn you, coronavirus!
Old 04-30-2020, 09:52 PM

Dear customers,

That big poster board sign on the door that reads “Yes, we are open! Please wear a mask if entering the store, thank you.” does actually apply to everyone, you included. I know you read it, I saw you looking at it. You also read the longer notice on the other door that says much the same thing, and outlines all our shopping policies. Those policies apply to you, like it or not.

It doesn’t matter if you just have this one thing to return, or just need to run in for that one small specific thing. The fact that you left your mask at home or in the other car, or that you don’t have one/hate wearing one/think it’s silly really isn’t relevant I’m afraid. We are a private entity, in no way are we essential, and we will provide curbside service. I am doing my damndest to keep customers supplied AND not get sick, so you will either wear a mask and observe all the safety protocols of distancing etc, or you wait outside and call with your order. I’ll happily fetch things, show you through the doors the selection we have, take your payment over the phone and then bag up your order and place it outside for you. I will do a lot, but I will not let you in this store without a face covering actually worn over nose and mouth.

This sucks for ALL of us, remember? Wear a damned mask so that maybe, just maybe this will suck for a slightly shorter time.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:02 PM

Yet another one: Spammers using the pandemic to disguise their spam as something helpful or necessary.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:45 PM

Listen, Monty, that was a nice rant, but the problem is that it isn't May yet!! It is, specifically, at this moment, 11:45 PM on Thursday April 30. Don't give me that science-y shit about time zones. It's bullshit. This is the second time you've jumped the gun on this because of some fucked-up clock you have over there where you live. I have a whole bunch of clocks and four computers, a tablet, and a phone, and I bloody well know what time and day it is.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
  • Oh, and the next twerp that says to me "should have went" will need essential dental care.
Does anyone actually say "should have went"? I thought that the standard dialect of Trump voters was "should of went", as in "I should of went to the dentist after Monty knocked out my three front teeth". Also "could of", of course, as in "I could of hit him back but I dint have my AR-15 with me like I usually does".

Anyway, it is now really May. You may carry on.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Listen, Monty, that was a nice rant, but the problem is that it isn't May yet!! It is, specifically, at this moment, 11:45 PM on Thursday April 30. Don't give me that science-y shit about time zones. It's bullshit. This is the second time you've jumped the gun on this because of some fucked-up clock you have over there where you live. I have a whole bunch of clocks and four computers, a tablet, and a phone, and I bloody well know what time and day it is.

Hey, it was May in parts of America long before it was May here!

Your count might be wrong, also.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:38 PM

OK. I told pastors wife weeks ago this neighbor takes me grocery shopping. He has for months. Then she said then you can't come to church cause who knows where he's been? I said OK, then tried to say something and she said I shouldn't interrupt her and she put her husband on who said I should listen instead of talking. He delivers a good sermon except for the face he claims God healed him from being gay. Sigh. As it stands, I'm not sure I will go back when things open up. May is when my son died, and there's mothers day in there. AND, it's supposed to be below normal temps here.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:58 PM

Ouch, that's gotta hurt... especially the "You interrupted me, so I'm going to sic my husband on you!" Sorry.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
OK. I told pastors wife weeks ago this neighbor takes me grocery shopping. He has for months. Then she said then you can't come to church cause who knows where he's been? I said OK, then tried to say something and she said I shouldn't interrupt her and she put her husband on who said I should listen instead of talking. He delivers a good sermon except for the face he claims God healed him from being gay. Sigh. As it stands, I'm not sure I will go back when things open up. May is when my son died, and there's mothers day in there. AND, it's supposed to be below normal temps here.
I don’t think you should go back there. I’m not going to go into detail, but you’ve dropped a lot of red flags about that church into your posts, even if you don’t realize it.

Once things get closer to normal, visit a few local churches of mainstream dominations with established congregations. I’m sure they will all be very welcoming and that you’ll soon find a group you like.

It may even be somewhat easier because of the pandemic. If you can find a few churches online that look promising, I bet you could arrange some sort of video chat with a pastor and you could discuss your spiritual needs and see if they’d be a good fit. They may have online services and bible study sessions.

My sympathies about your son, I know those anniversaries are hard. I wish you well.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-01-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:28 PM

I agree with Ann, I've noticed your comments about your church and its pastor.

I've got a long history with a wide range of non-denominational churches (Evangelical, "Fundie", and even Bah'), and the biggest problem with them is that there are no checks and balances. Not on what they believe, what they practice... or on the pastor.

I could tell you stories of weird beliefs, including "casting out demons... like depression"; the pastor who would preach on how Satan was corrupting our kids using "gasp" the Beatles and "acid rock" (they were Eagles songs...gasp!); the minister who was running Alternative Energy woo-woo scams on the side... And even a pathological liar.

With a mainstream minister, they've been vetted...

Years of seminary (which includes a lot of tough academic study), and a lot of counseling/therapy to see if they're psychologically suited.

And now, after decades on the fringes, I'm in a "real" church (ha... I married a Lutheran). And I've seen how a lot of wise people are in on matching up pastors and churches. And guiding those churches in times of crazy politics and quarantines, and the pastors in how they treat people.

Even people who interrupt their wives... ;~)

Last edited by digs; 05-01-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=wolfpup;22280338]Listen, Monty, that was a nice rant, but the problem is that it isn't May yet!! It is, specifically, at this moment, 11:45 PM on Thursday April 30. Don't give me that science-y shit about time zones. It's bullshit. This is the second time you've jumped the gun on this because of some fucked-up clock you have over there where you live. I have a whole bunch of clocks and four computers, a tablet, and a phone, and I bloody well know what time and day it is. [/QU

nm

Last edited by rsat3acr; 05-01-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Lost the last of my fig preserves to mold today. They were in the fridge, too.

The chutney seems to be ok (it was made recently using figs that were frozen), so at least I have that.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:10 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

For years, I've been wanting to take an ASL class, and one was finally offered at our local campus - yay! Eight 2-hour classes over 4 weeks. We had the first 2 weeks, but the plague shut down the school - boo! Then the instructor said we'd finish the last 4 sessions via Zoom - but I have neither camera nor microphone on my computer. OK, my daughter said I could use hers. Class was to resume next Monday.

Turns out, there was a practice Zoom session last Weds that I just now found out about when I checked the class website. I never got an email or an invite. But it doesn't matter, because my husband is going into the hospital in Baltimore for surgery, so I'd be missing 2 of the last 4 classes.

And, of course, the next class, whenever they reopen, will be the next level. Dammit.

I really didn't want to have to teach myself from videos, but that appears to be my only option now. Dammit.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:44 PM

I'd like to register a mild complaint regarding all the restaurants and takeout joints that have a nice website but put their online menu as a separate PDF you have to download.

Quit making me download shit to my phone!
Old 05-04-2020, 08:59 PM

I was cruising up I-71 this afternoon, the Ronettes "Baby I Love You" blasting from the speakers.

Oh I'm so glad I found you
I want my arms around you

Just then I look up and the electronic sign on the over pass reads:

Keep Your Distance
Wash Your Hands
Defeat Covid-19

Times sure have changed.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I was cruising up I-71 this afternoon, the Ronettes "Baby I Love You" blasting from the speakers.

Oh I'm so glad I found you
I want my arms around you

One of my favorite love songs from my teen years was turned into a commercial jingle for some crap I refuse to even mention because it's horrid crap and if I give you the name of the song, you'll likely search for it, thus giving the horrid crap more hits and that'll still be around.

Quote:
Just then I look up and the electronic sign on the over pass reads:

Keep Your Distance
Wash Your Hands
Defeat Covid-19

Times sure have changed.

They sure have. Hell, I remember being warned you can get a ticket if you're eating while driving.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I agree with Ann, I've noticed your comments about your church and its pastor.

I've got a long history with a wide range of non-denominational churches (Evangelical, "Fundie", and even Bah'), and the biggest problem with them is that there are no checks and balances. Not on what they believe, what they practice... or on the pastor.

I could tell you stories of weird beliefs, including "casting out demons... like depression"; the pastor who would preach on how Satan was corrupting our kids using "gasp" the Beatles and "acid rock" (they were Eagles songs...gasp!); the minister who was running Alternative Energy woo-woo scams on the side... And even a pathological liar.

With a mainstream minister, they've been vetted...

Years of seminary (which includes a lot of tough academic study), and a lot of counseling/therapy to see if they're psychologically suited.

And now, after decades on the fringes, I'm in a "real" church (ha... I married a Lutheran). And I've seen how a lot of wise people are in on matching up pastors and churches. And guiding those churches in times of crazy politics and quarantines, and the pastors in how they treat people.

Even people who interrupt their wives... ;~)
They don't read anything but the Bible and Christian books. Me, I like my reading entertaining. I've actually figured out the next three titles of these rants(June, july, august )
Old 05-04-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
"Should have went" shoud be "should have gone". It's supposedly a step on the way to regularization. The ultimate step is, of course, "should have goed". The first time I actually here that, let's just say I hope the judge likes the word "justified".
Hear. 😁 I shoulda been a proofreader.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:45 PM

Glad to hear you didn't mind us critiquing your "church".

And hey, even if you "shoulda" been a proofreader, be glad you didn't. You'd be out of work (because no one seems to employ proofreaders anymore... not a single website or magazine, even the Times, or the Post, or the Atlantic).
Old 05-04-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
They don't read anything but the Bible and Christian books. Me, I like my reading entertaining. I've actually figured out the next three titles of these rants(June, july, august )

Can you beat the titles I had for a couple of the June mini-rants in the past? I'm very fond of June, I'm worried about the Peeve.

Quote:
Quote:

Hear. 😁 I shoulda been a proofreader.

Argh! I wish that had been intentional. It's a great example of Guadere's Law. Oh, and "shoulda"? Surely, you did that on purpose, didn't you?
Old 05-04-2020, 11:32 PM

Yes, shoulda sounded more cool than should have. I was thinking Ju-no better!
Old 05-05-2020, 09:31 AM

(Don't want to dig up the workplace rants, sorry...)
Due to the pandemic, a full 25% of my job is now on hold. I can't file motions. I still have random clean up stuff / entering orders from processes that were underway before March, but otherwise no proactive work on these cases. I had a reduced caseload in response because of handling all those motions.
"Luckily" they've slightly beefed up my caseload, so now I have about an 85% caseload.
With working entirely from home, there's no bullshit in office chatter, I can actually hear on the phone, and I'm getting stuff accomplished.

Now I literally have nothing to do. I've been at work for three hours and all my daily work is done.

I volunteered to assist a coworker who was seriously in the weeds. Usually, I have no problems doing this kind of clean up, done it in the past for other workers. Unfortunately, this worker, who has been here SIX YEARS, clearly has no fucking clue what they are doing. Every single case I've touched is messed up. Some small issues, some massive issues. Missing court orders. Un-entered court orders. Court orders entered completely wrong. Plans (which drive a lot of our daily work) have no basis in reality or have simply been replicated without work actually being done in a year. I've tried walking them through what to do and receive "yeah, yeah, I know, I know". Clearly, you don't. Brought it up to our supervisor who said she's aware of problems and they are "working on it". How. Seriously, how are you working on it? Looked at a case this morning - generic useless plan that has been replicated since last September, last updated Thursday. Too bad the clients have had major changes since September, charging needed to be adjusted, worker says "call client" - too bad client is incarcerated now. It's horrible and I don't want to deal with it.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:04 AM

I have a work related rant also, though mine is mostly about me and not about work.

I am at work. I am caffeinated. I am organized. I have tasks to do. So why can't I make myself do the tasks. Just do the tasks. They are not hard. You have all the information. Do it. Just do the task. I feel like I can't do anything right now.

Ok, I'm gonna turn off this distraction and attempt again to do the task.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
I've been at work for three hours and all my daily work is done. I volunteered to assist a coworker who was seriously in the weeds... It's horrible and I don't want to deal with it.
So stop volunteering to do other people's jobs for them?

Your boss may be unmotivated to fix the problem because everything eventually gets fixed (as if by magic, meaning you).

You do realize that most of the work world works on the rule that getting all your tasks done quickly and efficiently means you get to take it easy the rest of the day. Try it, don't volunteer, and see if the boss realizes that something needs to be done (other than tell you to over-perform so that others can under-perform).

~ ~ ~

And, slalexan, I hear you. How did I used to do a hundred things every day? I miss those days where a task (say, a conversation with my sister) would just be sandwiched in while I was doing three other things. Now I'm stressed that I have to FaceTime her tomorrow (because she's too much of a Frustrated Extroverted to just hear people's voices these days).

I mean, I have another half-hour-long task tomorrow, I don't have time for two of those!
Old 05-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
It's a great example of Guadere's Law.
Somewhere, Gaudere is smiling.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:23 AM

Got un-friended on FB for pointing out that, technically, you can't shave a vagina. Or at least, you probably shouldn't try. Not only that, the person screen shotted the post, drew an arrow to my comment, and posted it as an example of things he unfriends people for. A half-educational and half-humorous post isn't allow, apparently.

Oh well.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
So stop volunteering to do other people's jobs for them?

Your boss may be unmotivated to fix the problem because everything eventually gets fixed (as if by magic, meaning you).

You do realize that most of the work world works on the rule that getting all your tasks done quickly and efficiently means you get to take it easy the rest of the day. Try it, don't volunteer, and see if the boss realizes that something needs to be done (other than tell you to over-perform so that others can under-perform).
Would have if I could have. In my quarterly, I stupidly mentioned I was caught up and looking for stuff to do. She already knew, as she's a micromanager, checks everyone's worklists daily. She suggested I help my coworker and I agreed.
And as far as "taking it easy", other than browsing here and a few other places sporadically during the day, that's not my thing.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The first time I actually here that.
"Actually here that"?

Seriously, if you want to blame spell-check, fine with me. I'm pretty sure something I saw on Facebook is true: "Spell-check is that little elf who lives in your phone and is sincerelly trying with all his tiny heart to help you, but he's very very drunk."
Old 05-06-2020, 12:32 PM

Sorry about the typo above. I really do know how to spell "sincerely". I was having a weird vision issue at the time.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I have a work related rant also, though mine is mostly about me and not about work.

I am at work. I am caffeinated. I am organized. I have tasks to do. So why can't I make myself do the tasks. Just do the tasks. They are not hard. You have all the information. Do it. Just do the task. I feel like I can't do anything right now.

Ok, I'm gonna turn off this distraction and attempt again to do the task.
Oooh, slalexan! You should read this article! It's very entertaining and also might be of some help: https://captainawkward.com/2020/05/0...ed-out-person/
I also like to read stuff over at this site: https://yesandyes.org/
I'm a Viking at finding motivational stuff on the internet that inspires me to...find more ways to fuck off on the internet.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:21 PM

Elon Musk has had a kid and hes named it X A-12. What an absolute bell end.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 05-06-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The first time a pastor says that to me is the last time I attend that church.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
"Actually here that"?

Seriously, if you want to blame spell-check, fine with me. I'm pretty sure something I saw on Facebook is true: "Spell-check is that little elf who lives in your phone and is sincerelly trying with all his tiny heart to help you, but he's very very drunk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Sorry about the typo above. I really do know how to spell "sincerely". I was having a weird vision issue at the time.

That little slip has already been discussed. See the short exchange upthread between SuntanLotion and me.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:20 PM

Attention hotels:

Enough with the fucking futuristic plumbing fixtures! We've had running water for some time now, and we've pretty well worked it out that a dial fixture is the most intuitive, easy to use fixture in a shower. We don't need the new, "improved" controls that are completely fucking inscrutable!

Nice hotel, upscale even. I step into the capsule of a shower and find two shower heads, controlled by multiple stalk controls of some kind. No indication of their operation, just trial and error. I have two university degrees, three successful careers and currently fly goddam jets for a living and I can't figure out your fucking shower! I either get cold water out of one shower head, or nothing out of the other. How about going back to a normal freakin' shower and leave out the trendy bullshit.

And while we're at it... how about a full door for the shower? Lately I'm seeing these half or even quarter doors, and the water inevitably gets all over the bathroom floor. Who the hell thought of this? Solutions for problems that don't exist! We know how showers should work - get back to basics!
Old 05-06-2020, 08:21 PM

Attention hotels:

Enough with the fucking futuristic plumbing fixtures! We've had running water for some time now, and we've pretty well worked it out that a dial fixture is the most intuitive, easy to use fixture in a shower. We don't need the new, "improved" controls that are completely fucking inscrutable!

Nice hotel, upscale even. I step into the capsule of a shower and find two shower heads, controlled by multiple stalk controls of some kind. No indication of their operation, just trial and error. I have two university degrees, three successful careers and currently fly goddam jets for a living and I can't figure out your fucking shower! I either get cold water out of one shower head, or nothing out of the other. How about going back to a normal freakin' shower and leave out the trendy bullshit.

And while we're at it... how about a full door for the shower? Lately I'm seeing these half or even quarter doors, and the water inevitably gets all over the bathroom floor. Who the hell thought of this? Solutions for problems that don't exist! We know how showers should work - get back to basics!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

A trifecta of COVID-related stupidity today:
1) Went to Home Depot to pick up an order placed online, then to my doctor's office for labwork (telemedicine can only do so much....). While I saw people at Home Depot without masks at all, guess where I saw one being worn *improperly*? Yep, one of the phlebotomists. Not the one who drew my blood, but the one who had me take care of paperwork afterward. While she was telling me about her weekend job at a nearby hospital (100 new cases over the weekend), I glanced up - and saw that her mouth was covered but not her nose.

2) A friend who lives in the midwest - but whose family owns a condo in Florida - was crowing on Facebook about their making a last-minute decision to go to Florida for a few days. And when someone said "Ooh - you're near? how long?" and the reply was "til such-and-such - we should get together!".

3) Another friend posted on FB about " a COVID like illness running through a nursing home near Detrick last July/August." (Detrick = Fort Detrick, where the US Army has been doing bioweapons and biodefense research for decades). She "can't find the article" where the link between the nursing home and Fort Detrick is mentioned, of course. She did post a link to an article about the nursing home - which is actually quite near me, in Virginia, and a solid 60 miles away. While it's not impossible that someone from Detrick might have a relative at the retirement home, it strikes me as quite unlikely.

I've lost a considerable amount of respect for #3. She's a staunch right-winger. In a discussion a few weeks back on Facebook where someone asked "please, my conservative friends, can you please recognize there are some problems with leadership" and she asked for cites.

We provided quite a few.

So her very intelligent response to that? "You Democrats would go wild trying to save one old person but you'll kill babies all day long". Sadly, I've run into that kind of utterly baffling and unrelated response from people several times, when they can't refute pure facts.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
Attention hotels:

Hah!! We had this same problem at a hotel a couple months ago. My first thought was that it was to make the shower stall wheelchair friendly - but my husband pointed out the long metal lip that extended from where the glass wall stopped. There was always a huge puddle on the floor. I can see the argument for a true "wet room" (I think that's the term) but this particular one was very badly implemented.

At another hotel, I had to have a staffer come in to show me how it worked. We'd been given a handicapped-accessible room (all they had) and the controls were so convoluted nobody could figure it out. I don't remember what the procedure turned out to be but it was NOT obvious.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

(double post)

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 05-06-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
My #1 pet peeve, every damn time I go to Europe. Do they really want water all over the floor? Do they really want me to leave big towels on the floor to soak up all the water? I honestly don't see the sense in that.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Quote:

My #1 pet peeve, every damn time I go to Europe. Do they really want water all over the floor? Do they really want me to leave big towels on the floor to soak up all the water? I honestly don't see the sense in that.

When I stay at the Army base hotel in Seoul, I have the same issue. It makes no sense to me. What I do is use one of the extra towels to dam the gap at the bottom of the door. And every time when I checkout, I complete the little comment card mentioning the issue.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I made a cake last Sunday, using a recipe that I've used several times before, and following it to the letter...but for some reason the cake just didn't cook all the way through. I mean, we're eating it, because cake, and the frosting is good. But it's full of dense soggy spots. I just don't know what I did wrong.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:21 AM

I need to gripe about the quality of my spam e-mails.

I used to get all this nifty stuff, like from people wanting to share a massive sum of illicitly-obtained money with me, or love notes from "Mrs. Wilma Grunfeld". Now the headers on my spam folder e-mail are all things like "Does SARS-CoV-2 cause Kawasaki disease?" and "Teratoma Not A Prognostic Factor In Metastatic Testicular Germ Cell Tumors".

I miss the old days.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 05-07-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I made a cake last Sunday, using a recipe that I've used several times before, and following it to the letter...but for some reason the cake just didn't cook all the way through. I mean, we're eating it, because cake, and the frosting is good. But it's full of dense soggy spots. I just don't know what I did wrong.
If you have a meat thermometer handy, use it to check the accuracy of your oven thermostat.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, kaylasdad, I'll do that.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

About two years ago I started having shortness of breath and exhaustion, and on my doctor's advice when to the ER. Blood tests showed that my iron levels were so low that they immediately started giving me blood and iron infusions, and scheduled my for upper and lower GI exams to check for bleeding. It turned out that I had stomach bleeding (but not an ulcer) which was why my iron levels were so low. They had cauterized the bleeders and scheduled me for a follow-up endoscopy to make sure they caught everything, and put me on iron pills. Over the next year I underwent several endoscopies and infusions but since last July, when I had my last infusion, I had been doing fine; tests showed that my iron levels were fine although I was told to keep taking the iron pills "just in case".

Then at the end of March my symptoms returned, and after a test verified that my iron levels were low again and my doctor had me come in and get two units of blood. Last week I started feeling bad again, and my doctor had me come n for a blood test Friday morning. I get home and he calls me to tell me to go to the hospital, where they will be giving me another two units of red blood cells. He's also going to consult with my specialist to see if it might be a good idea to do another endoscopy, and possibly set me up with a straight iron infusion. However, these will both probably wait until after the covid-19 situation has eased up.

Nope. Yesterday I get a call from the hospital to schedule an endoscopy. I also need to go in the day before the endoscopy for a covid-19 test.